• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS And Vita Still Getting Games Is Awesome

Saying this is a good time to be a handheld gamer is like saying you're really enjoying playing on the beach when a tsunami is about to hit. The dedicated handheld market is being left behind. Switch is portable but only just, and with the size and battery life I won't be going on any long trips with it as my primary gaming device any time soon. And Sony is done with the market entirely.

So if the market is being left behind lets not celebrate amazing games coming out for the platforms right now then? Wew what a way to look at things. Maybe look outside the window or go outside once in a while.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Have you heard of the lord and savior Switch?
Ummm its that system *insert game* would be perfect for right? Or am I thinking about the Vita? PC? 3DS before it started getting hated on?

Year 6. 3DS launched in March 2011. The 3DS was way out of date when it launched. It's not hard to see why people don't want games on that system anymore when we have Switch now.
Ohhh up ta #6 now. My bad! Ya its always been kind of a worse PSP but heck its gotten lotsa great games. Plus its game prices only go up ta $40 so for someone in my situation I'd rather keep riding it out than be forced into far more costly ventures.

How about that 2018 Wii release? Two Nintendo generations ago and it's still getting Just Dance.
Which shocked me.

Like, I know it is not unheard of a old console getting new games, as the fucking PS2 was still getting support until around the PS4 announcement (and the Atari 2600, FTM, had support until the early 90s), but even so, it still surprised me that the original Wii is getting a new game in 2018.

Chauzu

I know some are bummed at the fact Metroid: Samus Returns is on 3DS, but I think the game looks great. I'm there Day 1.

I do think it looks great and I was so close to decide to buy it but in the end, I just have to accept I have moved on. Not going to bring two portable systems with me.

Great Ace Attorney 2 will be my swan song and only because Ace Attorney is by far my fav gaming series.

Maengun1

I'm meh on the 3DS's continuing life since I have both it and a Switch

Great new game came out on 3DS? Yeah I'll buy it. But I'd much rather it was on Switch

And yeah, in regards to the Metroid 2 remake, while I'm disappointed in a sense it is a 3DS exclusive, and would far/way prefer to play games on my Switch going forward, at the same time, with Hey Pikmin also being a 3DS exclusive I've already accepted my "New" XL is not gonna collect dust anytime soon.

So if the market is being left behind lets not celebrate amazing games coming out for the platforms right now then? Wew what a way to look at things. Maybe look outside the window or go outside once in a while.
What? Man, that's one hell of a reading of what I just said. My point isn't that you shouldn't celebrate good games -- if you looked through my post history, I've been encouraging others to get a 3DS in the wake of Metroid's announcement. My point is that "It's a good time to be a handheld gamer" -- the opening statement of the OP -- is short sighted at best.

Zambayoshi

Vita 2 is coming next year.... GOTTA BELEIVE!!!!!!!!

Is it OK to believe but still have doubts?

Even if Switch sells more than 3DS, it will be arguably because it is home console / handheld in one.

It would take:

1. Big success in the West for the Switch; and
2. Good and continuing 3rd part support on Switch;

to make Sony consider trying to get a piece of that pie.

I'm not saying it won't happen - the Switch is off to a decent start at least :)

Recently bought a new3ds upgrade for my huge (3)DS backlog and getting new games regularly. Last ones have been Bravely Second, Fire Emblem and 7th Dragon. Also Steins Gate Zero for Vita. Great little RPG/VN machines.

These are the 4 final Swan Song games i am buying for my 3DS: Metroid, Ever Oasis, Super Star Saga remake and Pokemon Ultra Moon or sun.

But i might make a exception if they make one final Kirby game for it or something else cool in 2018 i like that still might be announced later on in a direct.

Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot were so damn good. I'd love to see one more 3DS title to complete the trilogy.

Jimm

I'll be playing Vita and 3DS games for YEARS, at least another 5 or so. There's so many fantastic games I want to add to my collection. I love both systems they have such quality libraries.

night814

Very glad, it's actually against a lot of old practices of throwing the old systems out when a new one arrives. Remember Nintendo completely dropping GBA in favor of the DS, people didn't like that.

I get people don't like the low end hardware that is the 3DS, it's graphics aren't stellar but it's library is outstanding and if devs want to keep working on it than go for it. If you're done with the 3DS or Vita that's on you, that's a personal choice. Realize other people are ok with playing on anything if it's a game they want to play.

Playing on the Switch or PS4 hasn't made me appreciate older systems and games anyless despite them not looking or playing as well as some modern games. I feel sorry for people who that has happened for.

i-Jest

I disagree. 3DS should be put to pasture now that the Switch is out. Vita has been thoroughly irrelevant for years, and I don't understand the enthusiasm for it at this point. And I say this as someone who liked the Vita.

Well if games are made for 3DS, that's purely a choice made by developers and approved by publishers. If a dev has a vision for a game, and wants that game to run on a specific platform, then that's part of the creation process you nor I have any say in. The reality of the matter is Switch is the new kid on the block and people love the fact that they own one. That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. However the camp of Switch owners, that want the old hardware to disappear over night, have to understand that there are people who love to develop for the 3DS line or love playing its library. The 3DS install base is by no means small and does not warrent going cold turkey and cutting support over night. That's not good business sense. Not everyone's ready to move on because of the few that managed to early adopt a piece of hardware that's constantly sold out. It's not strange for the first 10 to 12 months of a new consoles life span to be plagued with a drought of games. That's the risk you take when you early adopt.

Games will come for the Switch, to the point where the output matches and eventually surpasses the 3DS. That'll take a couple more years atleast. Devs need time understand and explore the upper limits of the console. You Switch lot just have to be patient. On the upside, you guys are getting next 3D Mario who's like hasn't been seen since Sunshine. You guys are getting the next Metroid Prime, which has been a LONG TIME coming. You guys are getting the next big mainline Pokemon game, since US/UM are gonna be apart of the 3DS line to round out that Pokemon gen. Those are all coming next year supposedly so be patient.

As for Vita, if you don't understand why people stick with in now, then you liked it for a completely separate reason than most, and that to is fine, but the console is not dead just because it doesn't get the newest COD or is constantly raved about by games journalism.

HotHamBoy

What? Man, that's one hell of a reading of what I just said. My point isn't that you shouldn't celebrate good games -- if you looked through my post history, I've been encouraging others to get a 3DS in the wake of Metroid's announcement. My point is that "It's a good time to be a handheld gamer" -- the opening statement of the OP -- is short sighted at best.

While you aren't wrong that we're are looking at the last days of the dedicated handheld, I'm simply acknowledging that it is going out with a bang, not a wimper.

Maybe tomorrow won't be a good time to be a handheld gamer, but today is.

I'll be playing Vita and 3DS games for YEARS, at least another 5 or so. There's so many fantastic games I want to add to my collection. I love both systems they have such quality libraries.

This too. For Vita, especially, because the hardware is going to continue to look and feel good for the next few years. The screen is just so good, even if the resolution is low by today's standards. Plus, remote play is still legit.

I haven't bought a single Vita game this year because my backlog is huge and I didn't buy half the Vita games I wanted last year. I will be enjoying the system for several years to come, easy to do when my gaming time is also divided by my PS4 and iPad.

Hell, I'm still playing through a backlog of PSP and PS One games on Vita, let alone actual Vita games.

As for Vita, if you don't understand why people stick with in now, then you liked it for a completely separate reason than most, and that to is fine, but the console is not dead just because it doesn't get the newest COD or is constantly raved about by games journalism.

There's just something special about Vita. Maybe it's the underdog syndrome along with the great hardware.

Maybe it's the fact that it gets so many great indies and so many weird niche games you don't usually see elsewhere.

Maybe it's because I have a shitload of software for it because of PS Plus and PSN sales.

ffvorax

Yes it's good, I'm waiting for Danganronpa V3 in particular for VITA.

I hope there will be another Sony handheld in the future, but for now looks unlikely.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
No, it's awful, and I don't even own a Switch.

I've posted this before, but I actively despise the 3DS. My OG model is slow and cramps my hands. Garbage hardware and needs to die. The sooner I can stop playing games on this thing the better. I genuinely thought FE Echoes would be the last 3DS game I buy but now there's Metroid. Friggin Nintendo.

Wow. There's a lot there, but maybe this would help with your first sentence:

71%2BAyQHSetL._AC_SX430_.jpg

I have one on mine. Super COMFY.

SeppOCE

Awesome that the 3DS and Vita are getting attention but the 3DS screens are so shit when compared to even the Vita's that it's hard for me to play it for long sessions. I wish they just released a HD 3DS.

Also I wish I kept my 2DS. Best ergonomics for big hands period. New 3DS XL is a chore to hold and the hinge for my top screen flops too much since day 1.

New Vita localisation/port announcements always brings a smile to my face. Absolutely fucking incredible how such a passionate, dedicated community has kept the system alive and viable for niche publishers to bother with anything on it this long.

entremet

I disagree. 3DS should be put to pasture now that the Switch is out. Vita has been thoroughly irrelevant for years, and I don't understand the enthusiasm for it at this point. And I say this as someone who liked the Vita.

Yep. Those systems are hard to play these days. I loved both of the them too.

I've said so much on the topic of why I'm happy for older handhelds to be kept alive (3DS specifically, since its been survived off the basis of unique games alone, whereas Vita plays host to more homogenous games), so I won't repeat myself in another thread, but I'm happy both handhelds are getting support.

I'm ready to move on from Vita now, but I will be picking up games that I want to be able to play on the go, that have good ports. Recently grabbed Yomawari, Shiren 5 and Utawarerumono, and I will grab Danganronpa V3 as soon as that's out.

I dun get why people want the 3DS dead. Its in what, year 5? Thats the time devs should be hitting their stride with the system in that they can pump out games fairly easily/cheaply and even experiment with new ideas without blowing the budget. Ya know, like PS2 back in 2006 through 2009?

3DS is in its seventh year as of Feb 2017, will be seven years old in Feb 2018.

U2NUMB

I am sad Sony seems to themselves be moving on. Big fan of my Vita and while the switch is good and all it does not feel as portable as what I would like. I hope Sony or ms enter the market at some point again.

xviper

i never had a Vita but i always see a huge list of games for it even though everyone says there are no games for the system, is it because most of these games are boring, generic anime JRPG ?

Wichu

i never had a Vita but i always see a huge list of games for it even though everyone says there are no games for the system, is it because most of these games are boring, generic anime JRPG ?

The people that say that are either not interested in the games it gets or just haven't looked at the release list. Yes, it does get some boring, generic anime JRPGs, but it also gets some real gems.

If you're not interested in indie games or Japanese games, then you probably won't get much out of it, but if you are then there's still a stream of quality releases coming out.

Personally, on the Japanese side, I've picked up Atelier Shallie, The Nonary Games, and Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception already, and will be getting Mask of Truth and Danganronpa V3 later this year; on the indie side, I'm planning on getting Undertale, VA-11 HALL-A, 2064: Read Only Memories, and Cosmic Star Heroine when they get Vita releases. There are two JRPGs there (if you count CSH), and neither of them are boring or generic.

Year 6. 3DS launched in March 2011. The 3DS was way out of date when it launched. It's not hard to see why people don't want games on that system anymore when we have Switch now.

This. That cheap 240p screen causes eye strain for many, and the 3DS is also painful to hold for any extended period of time for many. Empathy and compassion regarding others' situations/physical well being. Get some.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Ultimately, its the games that count. The fact the 3ds, which is a piece of hardware I own, is getting one last barrage of great games makes me happy because I can play them. Why should i be happy to see it die a year long or more slow death? I like playing on it. All this petty nonsense about "omg die already"-"port everything on the Switch" doesn't touch me in the slightest because a) these consoles can coexist and b) I dont feel suddenly disgusted or appalled by the little machine

True Fire

W-why won't you exploit me Nintendo-sama? Why do you continue to support your products? I don't need to trust in your product life cycle commitments, I'm so far gone that I'll buy anything you tell me to!

This. That cheap 240p screen causes eye strain for many, and the 3DS is also painful to hold for any extended period of time for many. Empathy and compassion regarding others' situations/physical well being. Get some.

Are you seriously using empathy and compassion as excuses for your own greed and selfishness? The heck?

Jazzem

I...guess it is in a sense, but man I'm not eager to play new games with polygonal graphics on poor quality 240p screens :/ 3DS is getting more and more hideously dated by the day, especially with the Switch to compare it to.

I'll take more Sega 3D Classics though :3

Damn that is good. Seeing Undertale getting ported over made me want to look into picking up a used Vita.

Did Hyper light drifter ever make it to the Vita?

Edit: No it did not =(

Ivellios

Personally im glad these consoles are getting new games, not everyone is getting the Switch this year, so its great that games are still coming for a console we already own

Nategc20

Banned
Im sorry but the support for vita is shit. Worst gaming platform I had ever own in my life. Sony themselves gave it 2 years. Weak.

MoonFrog

Right now working on DS/3DS back-catalog as I discover that I already owned the console that was missing in my life last generation :p. I have no problem keeping playing the thing, but I do think it would be nice if there were more of a cross-gen thing going on with Switch, particularly with respect to 3rd parties, but then again the third party game I am looking forward to this fall is just a late localization (EOV). Nintendo itself is doing the Switch just fine.

I do hope 2018 is a year that Switch sees 3DS franchises make the jump.

Yeah, man, it's great that they're still getting games despite being so old. Granted, I felt that the last gen of handhelds were better but this gen had some real good games too. Probably gonna get a few more games for the 3DS before I put it away, like the Mario & Luigi remake

You can't honestly tell me you prefer playing the first 2D Metroid in well over a decade in 240p....in 2017.

I have no trouble with it, just like I had no trouble playing Mirror of Fate (which uses the same engine) on my N3DS XL two years ago. Like that game, Metroid is going to look phenomenal with the 3D all the way up.

I don't have an issue with the upper screen on 3DS...so long as the 3D effect is good since the resolution doubles to 800 x 240 in 3D and it's oh-so-noticeable.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The title should have been: "3DS And Vita(without Sony support) Still Getting Games Is Awesome "

linkboy

I'll admit at this point, my Vita is pretty much just a glorified PSP and way to play PS1 games (it's still on 3.60). Totally love that hardware.

As for the 3DS, I still play mine and have no plans to put it down anytime soon. My 6yr old son also love the hell out of his.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Switch, 3DS, Vita. If they keep putting out great games, I'll continue to buy those great games, regardless of the platform. As simple as that.

Kolibri

Saying this is a good time to be a handheld gamer is like saying you're really enjoying playing on the beach when a tsunami is about to hit.

So handheld gamers are all about to be killed? What a stupid analogy.

The 3DS is still a huge seller, and will continue to be so (Especially in Japan) until Nintendo release another dedicated handheld.

I think some of these titles (especially on 3ds) are 2018, but still.

The announcement of Undertale for vita secured my second purchase for the vita in 2017.

Top Bottom