• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS battery life - 3-to-5 hrs for 3DS games; 3.5hr to charge[Various Realworld Tests]

Zebra

That Nyko powerpak actually looks comfortable. I don't plan on playing with the 3ds outside of the house much though, so it isn't necessary. The current battery life is fine be me, as it will be plugged into the wall most of the time.

Battery life only effects me on long airplane flights, which I rarely take.

Kaijima said:
Creating backlash/anti-hype at this stage over battery life or the 3D being the only worthwhile feature of the platform ignores most of the real hype build-up that has taken place to this point. When Nintendo whipped this thing out, people did a double take at no-goggles 3D, but what really built excitement was the laundry list of other features and enhanced conventions.
You sure about that? This thing wouldn't even be on my radar if all it was was a slightly upgraded DS with a slightly better online interface. The glasses-free 3D is the selling point, not just for me but for the mainstream as well.

And to the guy that mentioned Xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3... those were monumental leaps in hardware capability. It's not comparable.

I want the 3DS because of the 3D, bottom line. I think it's fkng awesome. Who would have thought Nintendo would be the first to give us glasses-free 3D in a mainstream product?

Improved friend codes and "augmented reality" are not why most people are hyped for this thing.

MrMephistoX

FoxHimself said:
Why the hell did people even update from the original Xbox to the 360?

Not a fair comparison. GC, Wii and 3DS have practically identical graphics with only various hardware innovations (motion, touch 3D) to distinguish them. Without 3D you're just getting PSP all over again with console level graphics and very little uniqueness. Then too, Nintendo has been milking the hell out of their 2nd tier first party games like Mario Kart as a result of said identical grahics hardware so without an innovative new feature stagnation will be the inevitable result. In short turning off 3D is turning off the point of owning the system. I'm getting a 3DS because I'm excited about the innovative potential 3D brings to the table.

MrMephistoX said:
Not a fair comparison. GC, Wii and 3DS have practically identical graphics with only various hardware innovations (motion, touch 3D) to distinguish them. Without 3D you're just getting PSP all over again with console level graphics and very little uniqueness. Then too, Nintendo has been milking the hell out of their 2nd tier first party games like Mario Kart as a result of said identical grahics hardware so without an innovative new feature stagnation will be the inevitable result. In short turning off 3D is turning off the point of owning the system. I'm getting a 3DS because I'm excited about the innovative potential it brings to the table.
Exactly! You said it better than me.

Cipherr

MrMephistoX said:
Not a fair comparison. GC, Wii and 3DS have practically identical graphics with only various hardware innovations (motion, touch 3D) to distinguish them. Without 3D you're just getting PSP all over again with console level graphics and very little uniqueness. Then too, Nintendo has been milking the hell out of their 2nd tier first party games like Mario Kart as a result of said identical grahics hardware so without an innovative new feature stagnation will be the inevitable result. In short turning off 3D is turning off the point of owning the system. I'm getting a 3DS because I'm excited about the innovative potential 3D brings to the table.

9XLJx.gif

kuroshiki

MrMephistoX said:

Pardon me, but what kind of 'innovative potential' are we talking about?

MrMephistoX said:

I like how people frequently point to Nintendo as the prime example for milking franchises for all they are worth as if other first-party companies don't do the exact same thing (Microsoft with Halo and GoW, Sony with God of War, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter). In some cases, third-parties milk it for even more (see: Activision with Guitar Hero).

The example here, Mario Kart, doesn't even make sense as an example. The franchise only appeared once on each platform mentioned. Granted, each each iteration's differences were largely due to new hardware features. To recap, MK:DD!! had LAN play, although the excellent "Co-Op in a Kart" innovation is truly hardware agnostic. MK:DS had online play as a first. MK:Wii was a first for motion-controlled Mario Kart and provided an improved online experience. I know this isn't what's being said here, but to say that MK:3DS will only be notable for its 3D graphics is definitely premature at best.

To say that the only possible direction for games to be improved upon for the 3DS hardware platform is 3D visual enhancement ignores the array of other new features like the Augmented Reality/camera functionality, MotionPlus-level motion sensing (not implemented in MK Wii), StreetPass/SpotPass functions, and more things I'm sure I'm not coming up with right at the moment.

Some people are happy with waiting because they are not satisfied with the launch library. I understand. It's not to everyone's taste. But to say the 3DS is using technology dated to the point that there is no possible draw to owning the system if you can't have the 3D on is silliness.

And there's all sorts of flaws inherent in comparing it directly to a PSP, because the DS, which 3DS takes its form-factor from and is compatible with, was always considered drastically different from the PSP for its touch screen and overall game library.

Lupin the Wolf said:
I like how people frequently point to Nintendo as the prime example for milking franchises for all they are worth as if other first-party companies don't do the exact same thing (Microsoft with Halo and GoW, Sony with God of War, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter). In some cases, third-parties milk it for even more (see: Activision with Guitar Hero).

The example here, Mario Kart, doesn't even make sense as an example. The franchise only appeared once on each platform mentioned. Granted, each each iteration's differences were largely due to new hardware features. To recap, MK:DD!! had LAN play, although the excellent "Co-Op in a Kart" innovation is truly hardware agnostic. MK:DS had online play as a first. MK:Wii was a first for motion-controlled Mario Kart and provided an improved online experience. I know this isn't what's being said here, but to say that MK:3DS will only be notable for its 3D graphics is definitely premature at best.

To say that the only possible direction for games to be improved upon for the 3DS hardware platform is 3D visual enhancement ignores the array of other new features like the Augmented Reality/camera functionality, MotionPlus-level motion sensing (not implemented in MK Wii), StreetPass/SpotPass functions, and more things I'm sure I'm not coming up with right at the moment.

Some people are happy with waiting because they are not satisfied with the launch library. I understand. It's not to everyone's taste. But to say the 3DS is using technology dated to the point that there is no possible draw to owning the system if you can't have the 3D on is silliness.

And there's all sorts of flaws inherent in comparing it directly to a PSP, because the DS, which 3DS takes its form-factor from and is compatible with, was always considered drastically different from the PSP for its touch screen and overall game library.

There have been what, six Jak games? The first Jak was different from everything else, Jak II and 3 and I think the most recent one are their own class, Daxter is its own thing, and Jak X, while not very good, wasn't rehash. The point is that Mario Kart 3DS, being such a similar infrastructure, doesn't feel like it took Nintendo any remarkable work to make the game. The only ones that really stand out for me are Steel Diver (in a way), Super Mario 3D, Paper Mario 3DS, and Kid Icarus Uprising. I'll even admit that the only games I'm buying for the 3DS so far are based on another game very heavily (Nintendogs, Pilotwings) or a port altogether (SSFIV).

_woLf

anyone know if Nyko will be releasing one of those battery packs in blue? I want to get one, but I get the feeling it'll look pretty bad on my blue 3ds. :(

A Link to the Snitch said:
There have been what, six Jak games? The first Jak was different from everything else, Jak II and 3 and I think the most recent one are their own class, Daxter is its own thing, and Jak X, while not very good, wasn't rehash. The point is that Mario Kart 3DS, being such a similar infrastructure, doesn't feel like it took Nintendo any remarkable work to make the game. The only ones that really stand out for me are Steel Diver (in a way), Super Mario 3D, Paper Mario 3DS, and Kid Icarus Uprising. I'll even admit that the only games I'm buying for the 3DS so far are based on another game very heavily (Nintendogs, Pilotwings) or a port altogether (SSFIV).

(EDIT: There have been only 6 Mario Kart games, too. Again, it's not like they're making an annual Mario Kart installment. That's my point. The companies aren't all that different in how they handle their respective franchises. The "Mario Party" sub-franchise notwithstanding, of course. THAT is a valid milking/rehashing argument.)

I guess we could boil it down into a semantics argument over what a "rehash" is and what "franchise milking" is, but I'll just admit "okay, that was a bad example" and take Jak & Daxter out of the list. Would "Hot Shots Golf" have been a more accurate inclusion?

I can agree with you, though: there aren't a TON of announced 3DS titles that have my interest. Super SF IV 3D, Metal Gear Solid 3, Super Mario, and a few others. Maybe. But I expect Nintendo and third parties will bring their A-game (or at least their B- or C-games) to the platform, regardless of the necessity of 3D or not.

MrMephistoX said:
Not a fair comparison. GC, Wii and 3DS have practically identical graphics with only various hardware innovations (motion, touch 3D) to distinguish them.
Even if true (it's not, 3DS supports hardware shaders that Gamecube and Wii do not), what does that have to do with that comparison? The 3DS is just as large of a generation jump over DS as Xbox 360 was to Xbox, and PS3 was to PS2. It's a huge graphical leap, it's got way more CPU power and RAM, it has full motion sensors and analogue controls, higher resolution screens, a 16:9 screen, multitasking, MUCH larger games, and a brand new set of online features.

I mean really, here's a 3DS game:
streetfighterivbattle4.jpg

And here's a DS game (it's hard to even find 3D fighting games on DS, because the 3D quality was so low):
945034_20090717_790screen005.jpg

Both at their native resolution. I think I see quite the advance there, most definitely a reason to buy the system even if it couldn't do stereoscopic 3D.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can't wait to see a new Zelda on 3DS with that kind of graphical power.

And Metroid.

And F-Zero.

Damn it, Nintendo!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Incredibly stupid question time.

Someone has referenced the Eneloop power stick (which appears to be 2 AA Eneloop batteries in a cylinder + USB port) in other threads. I myself have a small USB power box (holds 4 AA batteries and powers a USB port).

My stupid question here is this: why can AA batteries be used as a charging source for devices but can't/aren't used as a power source by them? I feel like I'm missing something obvious - if folks can recharge or partially recharge devices with AA batteries, it would seem to imply they could be used to -power- them as well; what is the drawback to standard AA batteries as primary power devices?

Again, I feel like I'm missing something stupidly obvious... is there any reason (other than shorter lifespans?) AA batteries couldn't be more universal these days? I always assumed the power draw was too high in modern devices... is it that the AAs can be used to trickle/recharge the LiIon internal batteries, but can't provide enough stable flow for usage on their own? Is it entirely the fact that AA batteries have a large form factor?

I think it's the form-factor, wasted space, and the convenience of charging the system by just plugging it in and never having to buy new batteries. But form-factor/wasted space is the biggest issue - the thin rectangular battery in the 3DS fills the entire space set aside for it, there is no room at all for anything else. So it's the best possible battery life Nintendo could have used for that space. But AA batteries (and all normal batteries for that matter except 9-volts) are round, thus not really all that well suited for the inside of a rectangular device filled with rectangular electronics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't discount public survey, either.

I don't have any stats, but I'd imagine the large majority of people prefer free recharges as opposed to buying new batteries all the time.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fusebox said:
Play a bit in the taxi on the way to airport, play a bit in the lounge waiting for the flight, play some more in the air and for my average flight I'd be lucky if I had any battery left by the time the seatbelt light turned back on for our descent.
Ugh. Clearly you might have a bigger problem than 3DS' battery life, seems you're well on the way of a videogames' addiction dude...

Log4Girlz

DavidDayton said:

Someone has referenced the Eneloop power stick (which appears to be 2 AA Eneloop batteries in a cylinder + USB port) in other threads. I myself have a small USB power box (holds 4 AA batteries and powers a USB port).

My stupid question here is this: why can AA batteries be used as a charging source for devices but can't/aren't used as a power source by them? I feel like I'm missing something obvious - if folks can recharge or partially recharge devices with AA batteries, it would seem to imply they could be used to -power- them as well; what is the drawback to standard AA batteries as primary power devices?

Again, I feel like I'm missing something stupidly obvious... is there any reason (other than shorter lifespans?) AA batteries couldn't be more universal these days? I always assumed the power draw was too high in modern devices... is it that the AAs can be used to trickle/recharge the LiIon internal batteries, but can't provide enough stable flow for usage on their own? Is it entirely the fact that AA batteries have a large form factor?

I'm not going to even pretend I have an expert answer to this, but I will give you my limited knowledge. AA batteries still have good energy density but lower power density than Lithium Ion batteries. In fact, I've read modern AA batteries have superior energy density.

Izayoi

Banned
hamchan said:
Screw Prime, they tried that on DS already and it wasn't good. Gimme sidescrolling metroid.
Eh, if they do it again and get the controls right this time I'd be more than willing to give it another shot. Plus the fact that you could actually match the visuals would be a huge plus. Why the hell they felt the need to do the controls the way they did for Hunters boggles my mind. Prime was perfect.

Dash Kappei said:
Ugh. Clearly you might have a bigger problem than 3DS' battery life, seems you're well on the way of a videogames' addiction dude...
You are aware of where you're posting, right?

Wrestlemania said:
I imagine it's down to their size more than anything else.
That's pretty much what it boils down to.

JohngPR

Dreamwriter said:
First you find the end of your AC cable (possibly on the floor), then fit it in the hole in the back of the system, realize it's upside-down and try again...or you can just set the system down. Which of those two sounds like less work? :p

You're right, the article I read on Engadget didn't mention that, had to check out the press release.

Not only that, but over the life of your console, you'll end up getting scratches around the area where the plug is. I suppose a cradle will alleviate that and keep your 3DS looking pretty. ;)

If the battery really becomes that much of an issue, I'll get that Nyko battery...or wait for impresssions to see if it affects that form factor of the 3DS in a negative way.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DavidDayton said:
I think their are a couple of issues -
1) the form factor is not ideal, and you have a lot of wasted space
2) all AA batteries are not created equal. I though a camera I bought was broken because it would switch on, instantly say that the batteries were dead and then switch off, even with brand new (store own brand) batteries. Purchased some decent batteries and the thing works fine. Creates an issue for support.
3) a custom battery can supply whatever power, voltage, current that your device needs

3.5 hours or so for a powerful, portable 3d device seems about right to me.

Look, until battery tech evolves significantly or we reverse the trend of physically shrinking device sizes while increasing capability we're going to continue seeing battery life decrease.

gregor7777 said:
3.5 hours or so for a powerful, portable 3d device seems about right to me.

Look, until battery tech evolves significantly or we reverse the trend of physically shrinking device sizes while increasing capability we're going to continue seeing battery life decrease.

Agreed, but with current tech, we're already getting close to the floor of what most people would consider practical for a mobile device. Makes me wonder if the mobile tech advancement curve will stall in the near future, or at least slow down significantly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Father_Brain said:
Agreed, but with current tech, we're already getting close to the floor of what most people would consider practical for a mobile device. Makes me wonder if the mobile tech advancement curve will stall in the near future, or at least slow down significantly.

Well, the NGP is due out later this year, and with that, that covers the major handheld advancements for the next 6-7 years. Should hopefully give batteries a chance to come up with something new, by around 2020 when the next handheld gen comes.

If you're talking specifically about the smartphone market, it'll be a few years to match the tech in the NGP I think, 2014 or so (and a few more years for the normal, non-ported games to look that level as well), and I'm not sure how practical the need for 8-core CPUs or GPUs will be, guess time will tell.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Minsc said:
Well, the NGP is due out later this year, and with that, that covers the major handheld advancements for the next 6-7 years. Should hopefully give batteries a chance to come up with something new, by around 2020 when the next handheld gen comes.

If you're talking specifically about the smartphone market, it'll be a few years to match the tech in the NGP I think, 2014 or so (and a few more years for the normal, non-ported games to look that level as well), and I'm not sure how practical the need for 8-core CPUs or GPUs will be, guess time will tell.
I'm not sure if battery technology can advance significantly from where we are at without a revolutionary change. You have a better chance of wireless energy transmission, or reducing energy requirements of components than increasing battery storage significantly.

DavidDayton said:

AA batteries are limited in voltage. If you need 7.5 volts, you will have to use 5AA's.
Or you could make a Li-Ion battery with 7.5 volts and have it be a size of a lightweight rectangle instead of 5 round AA's.

Chorazin

I highly doubt this will ever be a major problem for me. I typically play for 45 minutes at lunch a day, and a few hours at home after dinner. If I play at work, drop it in the cradle before dinner, and then play a few hours at night and drop it back in the cradle before bed I'll probably never run into a battery issue.

For cons where I'd be doing a lot of StreetPass and game play, I have a 18000mAh external battery pack which I can plug it into when I need to, just like I do now with my iPhone and DSiXL.

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:
?how is this 35 pages

because battery life is a huge issue for portables and they're discussing it?

If you want to level a complaint about the thread I'll be waiting here.

Protip: Yes, this IS a trap.

antonz

wwm0nkey said:
Where can I order the Power Pak+ alone I know it wont be out for a week after the 3DS launch but I would like to order it now.
bestbuy has it for preorder. The Battery by itself is launch day. Its the battery+ dock thats a week later. Might be able to just walk into store and grab a pak

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Izayoi said:
You are aware of where you're posting, right?
Clearly you're not. GAF's membership doesn't mean you can't have a chat with someone or reading a book or whatever when taking a flight, I've been here 6 years and gamer nerdyness has always been frowned upon. And I didn't mean to lecture gaming habits, it was a joke and I'm sure the op isn't like that, but it does look kinda scary when someone is afraid he can't game enough meaning he will only be able to do it on the cab to the airport, on the lounge, on the flight, and he's pissed there might not be enough juice to game on the cab back home as well, all in the space of a day. That doesn't mean it's ok for the 3DS to have a short battery life, but what the hell man let's try to not make legit the usual complaints that gamer=no life/interests that's all I'm saying.

Yeah, I fly to E3 most years, and always use one of those shared-van services to the airport. Usually it ends up being shared with other people going to E3, so of course we're all hardcore gamers. Guess how many times I've played games or seen other people playing games on the van? Zero. Not once. We generally talk, though we're all strangers.

Once I'm at the airport, and have gone through security, I generally have a couple hours, I might play a game, I might read, I'll generally explore the place and see what shops are around (did you know they now have Best Buy vending machines at the airport selling expensive electronics???) If you're really worried about battery life, they do have USB quick-charge stations at the airport, and sometimes even free power outlets.

Once on the plane of course you can't use any electronic devices during takeoff or landing, and you can't have your Wifi on at all the entire trip, so if you must play as much as possible on the plane, that'll help with the batteries. And some airlines have power outlets too, if you're too cheap to buy a spare $10 battery when you're that much dependent on your gaming system.

When you've landed, most people aren't going to be playing their devices while travelling to their hotel or whatever, they'll be checking out the unfamiliar place while driving through.

I'm betting that the person who came up with the total-game-trip scenario was just making up a scenario that would make the 3DS's battery life look as bad as possible - "look, here's a case where I need better battery life and there's nothing I can do! 3DS sucks, Nintendo should have made it twice as big and heavy so it could fit a better battery!" Sure, bad battery life kinda sucks, and when you do go on that 9 hour plane trip it means you have to be a lot more prepared. But this is a rare situation for most people, and is a common issue for all electronics (which is why they make things called books, vocal cords, in-flight movies, pillows).

Fusebox

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Wow, trying to bring up videogame addiction with regards to battery life is a fresh angle, but no. I was just saying that for a typical flight 3hrs of battery life really isn't that long, if it makes it to 5 with wifi off then it's a non-issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wwm0nkey said:
Where can I order the Power Pak+ alone I know it wont be out for a week after the 3DS launch but I would like to order it now.

is it easily detachable? I can see that being useful for flights/long journies, but I'd be ok with the normal battery day to day? And no sign of it in the UK, do Nyko usually bring those things out over here?

Top Bottom