• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS battery life - 3-to-5 hrs for 3DS games; 3.5hr to charge[Various Realworld Tests]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, I fly to E3 most years, and always use one of those shared-van services to the airport. Usually it ends up being shared with other people going to E3, so of course we're all hardcore gamers. Guess how many times I've played games or seen other people playing games on the van? Zero. Not once. We generally talk, though we're all strangers.

Once I'm at the airport, and have gone through security, I generally have a couple hours, I might play a game, I might read, I'll generally explore the place and see what shops are around (did you know they now have Best Buy vending machines at the airport selling expensive electronics???) If you're really worried about battery life, they do have USB quick-charge stations at the airport, and sometimes even free power outlets.

Once on the plane of course you can't use any electronic devices during takeoff or landing, and you can't have your Wifi on at all the entire trip, so if you must play as much as possible on the plane, that'll help with the batteries. And some airlines have power outlets too, if you're too cheap to buy a spare $10 battery when you're that much dependent on your gaming system.

When you've landed, most people aren't going to be playing their devices while travelling to their hotel or whatever, they'll be checking out the unfamiliar place while driving through.

I'm betting that the person who came up with the total-game-trip scenario was just making up a scenario that would make the 3DS's battery life look as bad as possible - "look, here's a case where I need better battery life and there's nothing I can do! 3DS sucks, Nintendo should have made it twice as big and heavy so it could fit a better battery!" Sure, bad battery life kinda sucks, and when you do go on that 9 hour plane trip it means you have to be a lot more prepared. But this is a rare situation for most people, and is a common issue for all electronics (which is why they make things called books, vocal cords, in-flight movies, pillows).

oh god, so this. Plus how often are you really on long haul flights? Even on a 5 hour flight (eg london - NY) you only have 3 hours dead time, what with take-off, landing, meals etc. And if you're heading east you should be trying to sleep anyway. Or is it west? Anyway..

So it may be an inconvenience occasionally, but 'oh noes everyone flies to Australia once a week' isn't really an objectively negative point.

having said that, I have just ordered one of those eneloop sticks just in case :)

Fusebox

Banned
In a flight from the US to Australia I drained a full DSi LL and most of my iPad. I had one of those USB external chargers but stupidly left it in my checked luggage.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
because battery life is a huge issue for portables and they're discussing it?

If you want to level a complaint about the thread I'll be waiting here.

Protip: Yes, this IS a trap.
maybe it would have been better to split off the thread when real world tests started coming in?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One question about battery life that I haven't seen come up yet: how well does it hold a charge when the system is powered off?

If I power off my DS Lite, I can come back a month or two later and it still has a near full charge waiting for me. With the PSP, I've never found that to be the case. It's battery will be very low when you come back even if the system is switched off.

What happens with the 3DS? How long does it last in sleep mode? How about when actually powered off?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
dark10x said:
One question about battery life that I haven't seen come up yet: how well does it hold a charge when the system is powered off?

If I power off my DS Lite, I can come back a month or two later and it still has a near full charge waiting for me. With the PSP, I've never found that to be the case. It's battery will be very low when you come back even if the system is switched off.

What happens with the 3DS? How long does it last in sleep mode? How about when actually powered off?

Good questions. Saw some theories that the slow charging battery is in order to prevent it from discharging quickly by the same turn when idle or sleeping.

xw9hH.jpg

"What is its shelf life? The efficiency of sleep mode? These are the things I need to know!"

dark10x said:

That's a good question. Even if it discharges relatively quickly in sleep mode, I imagine this would be somewhat mitigated by habitual use of the cradle, but I wonder what charging the system every day will do for the battery's usable lifespan... Don't Lithium batteries have a useful lifespan of x number of charges? Hitting the charger every day, that number would add up pretty quick...

Nintendo is trying to help y'all have a life. Do you need to be playing for 5 hours straight? That's almost a fourth of your day. How bout no?

hauton

foodtaster said:
Nintendo is trying to help y'all have a life. Do you need to be playing for 5 hours straight? That's almost a fourth of your day. How bout no?
IMO they're going about it entirely the wrong way.

Remember when Sony priced the PS3 at $599 and told you to get a second job?

Ken Kutaragi literally made you a more productive member of society

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
That's a good question. Even if it discharges relatively quickly in sleep mode, I imagine this would be somewhat mitigated by habitual use of the cradle, but I wonder what charging the system every day will do for the battery's usable lifespan... Don't Lithium batteries have a useful lifespan of x number of charges? Hitting the charger every day, that number would add up pretty quick...

I wouldn't mind buying new battery every 2 years.
joke

I think that slowing charging time (3.5hrs) has its reason for not impact battery life so much.

hauton

dark10x said:

to be fair, how old is your PSP in relation to the DS Lite?

Might just be the battery getting long in the tooth

edit: Also, are you talking about standby or fully turning the system off?

Massive power drain difference (although I doubt you can standby for a month, it's good to be clear)

angelfly

dark10x said:

I had mine in sleep mode for about 3 days before the red light started flashing. I had used it before it was in sleep mode so it could have lasted longer. I didn't wait to see how long it would last once the red light started blinking since my immediate reaction was to stick the power cord in the cradle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wonderfuldays said:
I wouldn't mind buying new battery every 2 years.
joke

I think that slowing charging time (3.5hrs) has its reason for not impact battery life so much.

the slow battery charge time just means they don't want to spend money on a decent charger.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
mrklaw said:
the slow battery charge time just means they don't want to spend money on a decent charger.
The charger is just a transformer, it is the battery that can or can't take a rapid charge. I would still assume that it could be charged faster if they wanted it to, but at the expense of long term battery life.

wwm0nkey said:
Well guys looks like there is a BATTERY (not giant pack) that adds 20+ hours to the 3DS.

LINK
Hyperkin-Battery-Pack.jpg

...how could a battery with a capacity less than 40% greater than the preinstalled 3DS battery possibly increase battery life that much? Does it somehow stack onto the existing battery?

wwm0nkey

Father_Brain said:
...how could a battery with a capacity less than 40% greater than the preinstalled 3DS battery possibly increase battery life that much? Does it somehow stack onto the existing battery?
Im still sticking with the Nyko brand and these guys probably just turned all settings on low and some off.

Father_Brain said:
Magic

Also, I saw a wrist strap that charges cell phones, PSPs, DSs and DSi's. So that is a handy solution

BowieZ

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Im still sticking with the Nyko brand and these guys probably just turned all settings on low and some off.
But it comes with an Official 3DS™ Color Aqua Blue™ pocket-size screwdriver™!

Somnid

Father_Brain said:

On there website they have a 1200MaH battery with the same tagline. They are clearly talking about sleep mode.

Oppo

If you guys are looking for a pretty cool solar charger/battery thing, I just picked up a Brunton Restore for charging my iPhone while camping, it has a detachable USB a>b cord built-in, would probably work really well for 3DS. has a 2,200 mAh battery, it's splashproof and has a little map light, it's super nifty.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
wwm0nkey said:
Well guys looks like there is a BATTERY (not giant pack) that adds 20+ hours to the 3DS.

LINK
Hyperkin-Battery-Pack.jpg
If only Nintendo would lie about their battery life like third party suppliers, then the 3DS wouldn't even have a battery life problem.

I bought a portable battery to use with mine. Will have to charge and see for myself but it seems lightweight and portable enough. I had to get a cheapo DSi to usb cable from ebay as it doesn't come with one specifically. No AC adapter either, but I have a converter plug already. It does come with other connectors for all the phones and other gadgets so it'll come in handy.

Revolutionary said:
Sounds and looks great. I have larger hands so that extra bulk to it might just help me out.

The new cradle is ugly as sin, though. :\

I like the look of the cradle! :(

anyway, the Nyko battery looks good. will pick one up whenever I get a 3DS. just wish they made one in blue as well

marc^o^ said:
Ars Technica reviews a 20$ Nyko's battery. Verdict? Double the playtime: Buy.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ber-testing-nykos-third-party-3ds-battery.ars

nykobattlisting-thumb-640xauto-20742.jpg

Won't fit in the default cradle though :-/

I don't know... seems a little sketchy to just test it on max without testing it on the lowest. If someone here buys the thing, can you do various tests? If multiple gaffer buy it, we can split up the testing duty to one playing with only 3D on, another playing with everything off, etc.

dankir

marc^o^ said:
Ars Technica reviews a 20$ Nyko's battery. Verdict? Double the playtime: Buy.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ber-testing-nykos-third-party-3ds-battery.ars

nykobattlisting-thumb-640xauto-20742.jpg

Won't fit in the default cradle though :-/

The last Nyko product I bought, was the cooling fan on my original launch XBox 360 it almost melted my system lol.

Anybody have this yet?

Is there no plug charger? Only the cradle?

Well you can still plug in the AC adapter to the 3DS that plug isn't covered up.

Neuromancer said:
And it doesn't set the thing on fire? Amazing! Only problem is I don't know that it would fit in the case I just bought for it.
Yeah I'm using a DS case from Club Nintendo which is snug with the 3DS plus 2 carts. My external battery seems to be working fine though.

Now I know I'll get that battery+cradle pack along with the 3DS.

Although I still have second thoughts about third party batteries. Is Nyko a very reliable brand?

Father_Brain said:

It comes with a free screwdriver so it's bound to be trustworthy in my book. These guys mean business.

Also where the fuck is that Eneloop charger.

sasimirobot

T1ezR1XadAXXXwRuZ6_061442.jpg_310x310.jpg

I have a box of 10 of these that I bought in China. I am trying to get rid of them for around cost. I really don't care about profit I am kinda giving them away to USA-Gaf because...you guys hooked me up before. [hugs Japanese 3DS]

So 2 for 15$US free shipping. PM for details.

Donnie

There's also this one:

23346.jpg

Though I'm not sure who's selling it.

I've just bought a 3DS battery from ebay which claims to be 1800mAh. So I'll do some testing on that vs the standard battery and post the results here. It was only £4 inc delivery so if its crappy then I'm not losing much :)

Donnie

sasimirobot said:
T1ezR1XadAXXXwRuZ6_061442.jpg_310x310.jpg

I have a box of 10 of these that I bought in China. I am trying to get rid of them for around cost. I really don't care about profit I am kinda giving them away to USA-Gaf because...you guys hooked me up before. [hugs Japanese 3DS]

So 2 for 15$US free shipping. PM for details.

Have you tested it to see if its really 1800mAh? Looks very similar to the one I posted above, just without the packaging.

sasimirobot

Donnie said:
Have you tested it to see if its really 1800mAh? Looks very similar to the one I posted above, just without the packaging.

It seems legit. I haven't run the battery down to zero and I am sure I used it for at least 3/4 hours at full settings. The only reason I own them is because I was sent a 3DS from Japan without a battery [see the Japan release thread for details] so bought a box at a discount and kept 2 for myself.

I believe it is straight from the Nintendo factory from the looks of it...

edit. it comes in a package I just grabbed a random image of it

jax (old)

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Ugh. Clearly you might have a bigger problem than 3DS' battery life, seems you're well on the way of a videogames' addiction dude...

Nothing about his usage implies he's got a problem. If anything, it reflects how in the real world, the battery life isn't the best.

Xater

On eBay I even found some 2000 mAh batteries for the thing. It's just that it's some no name thing from China and I'm not going to trust that.

Top Bottom