• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS firmware update - 4/25 FOLDERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sweet, created 8 folders to get rid of my 3DS menu clutter. (3DSWare/Dsiware/GBA Ambassador/NES Ambassador/Virtual Console/Classics 3D/Trailers/Miscellaneous). Now if NOA would actually start releasing some more stuff to put INSIDE those folders, that would be great!

Mmm. I am an Ambassador, so my screen was pretty full, even though I have been deleting videos as games come out. And as much as I'm disappointed with the release of Virtual Console titles, eShop does have a large amount of good content like Pushmo and Mutant Mudds, 3D Classics and a bunch of quality DSiWare stuff.

It's rather nice that folders can hold a hefty amount of stuff inside. About 5x the amount given on the iPod last time I bothered to update...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
i ended up using the Star symbol for my Ambassador folder

vall03

awesome, we can even adjust the size of rows inside the folder. Really don't like that the folders only show a letter. Would love to see icons or images instead.

trapperkeeper.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
awesome, we can even adjust the size of rows inside the folder. Really don't like that the folders only show a letter. Would love to see icons or images instead.

I hope they add icons in the future. System icons (Game Boy, Game Gear, GBA, NES) would be the best, but I could even live pixelated heads of Nintendo characters.

Quite.

On that note, folders seem to instantaneously load up upon start up or exiting from an app, unlike taking several seconds to show up...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

You can use certain symbols... Like a star, a square, a triangle, a male sign, a female sign, a music note......

Wiz

I just used symbols at the beginning. It makes it look a lot better.

fernoca

I hope they add icons in the future. System icons (Game Boy, Game Gear, GBA, NES) would be the best, but I could even live pixelated heads of Nintendo characters.
Thinking about it, I think the "best" solution would be to let people draw their own/pixelized/custom covers. Would make for a nice future update.

But the folders and the updated store, are nice ones overall.

Mmm. I am an Ambassador, so my screen was pretty full, even though I have been deleting videos as games come out. And as much as I'm disappointed with the release of Virtual Console titles, eShop does have a large amount of good content like Pushmo and Mutant Mudds, 3D Classics and a bunch of quality DSiWare stuff.

I was commenting on their recent release performance (especially with regards to Virtual Console). Most of the clutter was from old DSiware games and from crap I never use like AR games and Mii Plaza and whatever.

axisofweevils

Maybe future DLC will add deluxe folder options..

Two letters for 1.99!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How do you set the icon on the folder?

When you're naming the folder, there is a section called Symbols. Other than that, you can't 'set icons' in a traditional sense. You're just making the folder name the symbol, which may look better than letters for some.

BooJoh

qo6bp.jpg

3DSWare
C 3D Classics C
DSiWare
± System Apps ±
GameBoy
NES
@ Game Gear @
> Videos >
β Demos β

I might tweak it more later. Now if I could just shrink my home menu back down to fewer slots, not that it matters.

Sagitario

Downloaded and installed.

I just realized: you can't delete things from Home, you have to go System Setting and then Data Management. It's kind of annoying.

Trying the eShop now.

Luigiv

Holy shit they really did revamp the eShop. I was just thinking the other day that it should look something like this.

The one thing I don't like though is they stuck the browse "search" button where the shopping cart should go when they add it.

edit: Also looks like they made scrolling through the individual app menu slower though at least the look is standardised now.

Zomba13

Would be cool if we could set an image (either from a set amount or one we've taken ourselves/loaded on the SD card). Seems a bit lame only having the first character show up on the folders. Still, folders are a welcome addition.

axisofweevils

Another cool thing...
You can zoom in and out of each folder and it remembers how you had it each time. Genius!

trinest

So I was naming my folders and then I realised that they only display the first letter on the folder and when I ended up having two of the same type I was like "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO" so I had to rename them all again.

So I came up with:

Applications (3DSware/DSiWare etc. that are Apps, Built in Apps)
Games (3DSware, 3DS Classics, Built in Games etc.)
Virtual Console (obvious)
Demos (demos dah!)
Ware DSi (DSiWare)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Unless I'm crazy, the eShop doesn't have any new search options -- search/sort by price, genre, etc. has been available since the eShop launch.

axisofweevils

3DS Ware
Classics (3D)
DSi Ware
* Ambassador *
Zelda
Trailers

axisofweevils

One good thing that may help people - you can use a lower case letter.

This is handy if you want to distinguish DEMOS from dsiware

Unless I'm crazy, the eShop doesn't have any new search options -- search/sort by price, genre, etc. has been available since the eShop launch.

There's options to not just sort, but filter the results. I think that's different, although I'll admit I wasn't the biggest patron of the eShop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Interesting experiment. My wife just came home and her 3DS has no passed with mine in those twenty minutes, where it's usually right away. Hers is not updated, mine is. Can a 3DS on different firmware revisions streetpass with each other?

Wario_Land_Box_Art.jpg

What I miss is BOX ART. Those rotating VC icons we got would be better off as Game Boy boxes in 3D. A customizable virtual shelf of boxes would make a lot of people buy more VC games for sure. I know I would.

3267875776_8aea432bea.jpg

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you Nintendo. This is what we really needed. :)

Now what to do with six pages of blank spaces...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom