• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

I'm gonna have Dream Team
Bros.
in my hands next week. For what it's worth, out of the M&L saga I've only played Partners in Time and I loved that game. Also the only two other mario rpgs I've played are SMRPG (which I also loved) and Paper Mario (which bored me and so I stopped around Chapter / World 3). Here's hoping I enjoy M&L 4 as much as 2.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm gonna have Dream Team
Bros.
in my hands next week. For what it's worth, out of the M&L saga I've only played Partners in Time and I loved that game. Also the only two other mario rpgs I've played are SMRPG (which I also loved) and Paper Mario (which bored me and so I stopped around Chapter / World 3). Here's hoping I enjoy M&L 4 as much as 2.

I strongly suggest you to get the other two entries, they're incredible quality and way better than POT (which is a good game, but SS and BIS are something else)

leroidys

Just to offer a counterpoint, I really loved Dream Team (I realize I already mentioned this on the previous page, but I wanted to expand on it a bit). Yes, this game has plenty of tutorials, especially early on. If I'm remembering correctly, the original two Paper Mario games aren't as tutorial-heavy in comparison, and to be fair I haven't played the original SM RPG yet. Still, I think there's quite a bit of greatness on offer in this game, although I realize this is not the most popular opinion, especially coming from someone who actually really dug Sticker Star. I found the Giant Battles just as epic and challenging as any in Bowser's Inside Story, the Dream World just as overflowing with creativity as Bowser's Insides in the same game, and the sidequests as plentiful and satisfying as in any previous Mario RPG I've played.

I realize the game has some of that handhold-itis that puts plenty of players off, and that its length exceeds what people are usually going to be expecting in a game like this. But I'll tell you, I played 55 hrs of this game or thereabouts, and there's still some sidequest stuff I didn't get to in my first full playthrough, and still, I had a big grin on my face the second two thirds of the game. It took 15-20 hours for me to really get into it, which I realize is quite a commitment, but once I did, it really held my attention and impressed me with its creativity. I enjoyed the game up to that point, don't get me wrong, but it was only once I really felt like I was getting into it more seriously that I felt like I had a better appreciation for its merits. Anyway, if you're in the mood for a game like this and have played and enjoyed the other M&L games, I strongly recommend it.

I'm glad that some people got so much out of it. I hope that the series continues, but hopefully the next game is not 40 hours and they pare down the tutorials.

I think there is a good game buried under there, I just didn't have the patience for it when it offered so little over the last 3 games. As great as BiS and SS were, I had to force myself through the last couple hours and those were half the length.

Thanks for posting the positive detailed write-up though. I would hate to be the sole voice advocating against buying the game.

I strongly suggest you to get the other two entries, they're incredible quality and way better than POT (which is a good game, but SS and BIS are something else)

The other two are much better games, but PiT is really short and has the most satisfying iteration of the battle system, so I could see someone liking it the best out of all 3.

Thanks for all the words about Dream Team. I am just having a hard time fathoming a 50+ hour-long Mario RPG. Is there a lot of padding ie. grinding and dialogue? Or just a particularly long quest like Dragon Quest 7?

RM8

It's a shame about M&L, really. I could endure a mediocre RPG with the usual Mario charm and familiar M&L gameplay... but it being uber long and hand-hold-ish is an absolute deal breaker. Sucks because it's such a nice looking game :(

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I really really am enjoying Dream team. Didn't really find it handholdy either, not really sure why it gets that hate. I mean they do explain most things once but then it's done and the dialogue is fun.

I'm at the last dungeon and really loved it.

eojoko

Thanks for all the words about Dream Team. I am just having a hard time fathoming a 50+ hour-long Mario RPG. Is there a lot of padding ie. grinding and dialogue? Or just a particularly long quest like Dragon Quest 7?

I think I probably played somewhere around 25-30 hours
believe I've almost finished Mount Pajamaja
before setting it down for what has now turned into months. I was actually really enjoying it at the time. I think I was having some trouble with one of the giant turn your 3DS sideways battles and found the experience so frustrating that I had to stop playing. The fact that none of your stats apply in these battles, and that you're basically introduced to new gameplay elements that only apply during the giant battles, it really annoyed me.

Anyway, it's just a long game. It didn't feel padded to me, just long. You can skip the tutorials, so don't worry about getting bogged down with dialogue. The dialogue is often funny and enjoyable to read anyway. The music and atmosphere is great and often beautiful.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I got the silver XL that comes with Dream Team, and I still didn't want to play it. Like, I played a couple hours of it? Didn't really enjoy it though, and probably won't ever go back to it unless I'm terribly, terribly bored.

Clockwork5

I burned my 3ds bottom screen. Here to inform it is slightly blemished (clouding / bubbling about the size of a cig cherry) but still fully functional.

I know, I'm an idiot and need to quit smoking.

deoee

So I just recently upgraded to the XL and I'm now totally into the eshop games.
Got myself Color 3D and Crashmo. Now I'm looking onto my list and can't decide for one or two more games:

SteamWorld Dig (i think i have it on steam already :/)
Mighty Switch Force 1 / 2 (which one to get?)
Liberation Maiden
HarmoKnight (Is it worth the 15€?)

GAF please help me decide! :D

HarmoKnight is pretty good. It's a rhythm platformer, and the music and 3D effects are prettttty neat. I'd have recommended Steamworld Dig but you already have that on Steam so no need to double dip when there's new stuff on offer here.

deoee

HarmoKnight is pretty good. It's a rhythm platformer, and the music and 3D effects are prettttty neat. I'd have recommended Steamworld Dig but you already have that on Steam so no need to double dip when there's new stuff on offer here.

Ye, that's why I hesitate with Steamworld Dig.
HarmoKnight had a pretty nice demo, but the price is turning me off to buy it instantly :D

Thats what I'm talking about :D

Anything else one might pick up, besides the games the topic and me already mentioned?

I love Gunman Clive and it's just £2. Great visual style, music and decent sense of challenge. Also Attack of the Friday Monsters is a very charming experience, although there's not much "gameplay" to it.

leroidys

+1 for Harmoknight, assuming you like rhythm games. It's really great - one of the best eshop games out there.

It is steep though. If you're looking for value, have you considered DSiWare games? There's a lot of fantastic stuff on there for 2 and 5 dollars.

RM8

HarmoKnight might not be the cheapest but it's a rhythm platformer with some Pokémon tracks. You're not supposed to skip it, really :p

RM8

I found Liberation Maiden confusing and literally painful to play for long, but that's just me. On the other hand, of those Guild games I really loved Bugs vs. Tanks and it seems that not many people did :/

I am wondering if anyone else thinks Code of Princess is under-apreciated. I was glad to see a lot of in depth talk about builds etc on gamefaqs; this is a good indication of how good a game is IMO. There seems to be the outlines of an online play comunity with character tiers etc...

Having played it, I am suprised I did not hear a lot more of it before. Very fun.

I just impulsively bought a 3DS and was looking for a neogaf thread for it and this is the best I could find... I got it because I was dying to play Mario 64 on a mobile device and so far I have enjoyed playing it a lot. I was skimming Amazon for a cheap game. I have been itching to play a Spider Man game. Is the first Amazing Spider Man at least somewhat fun or is it total trash? Thinking of picking it up for 8 bucks.

Any other must haves are welcome, thanks!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fire Emblem: Awakening is not only the best game of 2013 but the best game available on the 3DS.

I just impulsively bought a 3DS and was looking for a neogaf thread for it and this is the best I could find... I got it because I was dying to play Mario 64 on a mobile device and so far I have enjoyed playing it a lot. I was skimming Amazon for a cheap game. I have been itching to play a Spider Man game. Is the first Amazing Spider Man at least somewhat fun or is it total trash? Thinking of picking it up for 8 bucks.

Any other must haves are welcome, thanks!
Its MUCH better than the second one atleast but still nothing to brag about. Everything about the game is the same as the console counterparts minus the obvious graphics downgrade and it not being open world. combat, story and etc are all still in tact

Theres a demo on the eshop, try it out

Its MUCH better than the second one atleast but still nothing to brag about. Everything about the game is the same as the console counterparts minus the obvious graphics downgrade and it not being open world. combat, story and etc are all still in tact

Theres a demo on the eshop, try it out

Oh cool, didnt know about the demo, thanks!

Is anyone here used gamefly to rent 3DS games? I wanna play so many games but I can't afford to buy them all. Plus the fact that some single player games like Zelda I won't be replaying much, so I can't justify 40 dollars for each of these if I'm only planning on playing them for a couple weeks each.

Edit: I resigned up, I still don't wanna buy OoT 3d knowing its the same game and I own the VC version on the Wii.

Does anyone know if they have an action replay/gameshark/code breaker for the 3DS now? I have been away from the system and all I can find is a power saves thing from AR?

I know not quite a game, but still thought this was the best place.

darkziosj

Anyone played the inazuma eleven GO game? Any impressions?

I am, it improves so much over 3, the graphics are MUCH better, the music also improved alot, the gameplay gets a twist with the summon thing, the dub its still pretty average. overall im having alot of fun with it.

Sioen

I am, it improves so much over 3, the graphics are MUCH better, the music also improved alot, the gameplay gets a twist with the summon thing, the dub its still pretty average. overall im having alot of fun with it.
Alright thanks man, the graphics seem so much better than before.

How friendly is SMTIV to new comers to the series?

I'm done with Bravely Default and I'm looking for something else to keep me going for a long time. It's a toss-up between that and the last Zelda game, and as good as the praise of Zelda is, it's still Zelda - feel like I've been there, done that. Can't really think of anything else atm on the 3DS that might interest me unfortunately, seems a bit dry in terms of releases.

Ettie

How many years of new first party releases do you all think we have left before a successor is announced?

I'm on the fence, don't want to get into 3ds this holiday just to see a backwards compatible successor at e3 2015.

darkziosj

How many years of new first party releases do you all think we have left before a successor is announced?

I'm on the fence, don't want to get into 3ds this holiday just to see a backwards compatible successor at e3 2015.

heh im guessing 2016, the nintendo 3ds is the only thing making alot of cash for nintendo they need to keep it up while the wii u still struggles and that won't change for a while.

Hoax

Neo Member
So I have some credit left on the eShop after buying FE (loving it). I've been eying the harvest moon gameboy color version, absolutely loved the SNES version back in the day. Anyone played this?
I checked some screens and it seems to be a watered down version so i was hoping to hear from someone who has actually played it.

I also read about shovel knight hitting the store today, which ended up being a bit of a let down cause its not in EU yet, and i can't find an ETA. Looks really good though, wouldn't be surprised if that gets added in this thread eventually.

Thanks in advance, this place is so good for hyping up my 3DS that i've been playing it lots again. But i've got to keep this flow going! The only upcoming release that seems interesting is smash bros 3ds but im really afraid that it won't work in such a small form factor. And doing smash moves with the analog stick on the 3ds... I'm just not sure.

At least there is still Prof. layton i really want to check out, but it's just not the same as counting the weeks for a future release!

I also read about shovel knight hitting the store today, which ended up being a bit of a let down cause its not in EU yet, and i can't find an ETA. Looks really good though, wouldn't be surprised if that gets added in this thread eventually.
Shovel Knight is not out today. It's coming out on June 26th, this Thursday.

Hoax

Neo Member
:x lol i must have misread an article, i thought it stated it would be out today.. either way not in the EU unless i've misread that as well...

maxcriden

So I have some credit left on the eShop after buying FE (loving it). I've been eying the harvest moon gameboy color version, absolutely loved the SNES version back in the day. Anyone played this?
I checked some screens and it seems to be a watered down version so i was hoping to hear from someone who has actually played it.

Thanks in advance, this place is so good for hyping up my 3DS that i've been playing it lots again. But i've got to keep this flow going! The only upcoming release that seems interesting is smash bros 3ds but im really afraid that it won't work in such a small form factor. And doing smash moves with the analog stick on the 3ds... I'm just not sure.

At least there is still Prof. layton i really want to check out, but it's just not the same as counting the weeks for a future release!

I used to stay up really late playing Harvest Moon GBC but it's not all that great. As you suspected it's a watered-down version. If you have the ability to play GBA games on a GBA or DS, FOMT is really the best of all possible HM worlds.

BTW, here's the Shovel Knight OT (no EU release date yet):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840815

Zalman

Isn't it time we updated the OP? It's nice to have a place where people can go for recommendations so they don't have to make new threads every time.

maxcriden

Isn't it time we updated the OP? It's nice to have a place where people can go for recommendations so they don't have to make new threads every time.

I don't think BraXzy can update it in good conscience. He hated Kirby and will definitely not be interested in Shovel Knight. :(

BTW, here's the Shovel Knight OT (no EU release date yet):
>:-|

There's two games I wanted for 3DS for over the Summer - Shovel Knight and SMTIV. And I discover they're both nowhere to be seen for Euroland. Thanks for region locking Nintendo, since we're taking steps back why not make your next handheld a slate and a piece of chalk.

maxcriden

>:-|

There's two games I wanted for 3DS for over the Summer - Shovel Knight and SMTIV. And I discover they're both nowhere to be seen for Euroland. Thanks for region locking Nintendo, since we're taking steps back why not make your next handheld a slate and a piece of chalk.

SMTIV is confirmed for a Q3 eShop release if that helps. And I want to say they're hoping to bring SK to you guys by the end of summer.

ETA: I like the slate and chalk idea, though. Mario Maker could be on their handheld system that way, too.

Hello,

I am looking to add a couple more games to my 3DS' digital library. I will be moving overseas in a little more than a month and will not likely have access to quality internet services to download more, so I want to create a backlog of games before I go so that I will have a lot to play over a lengthy period of time.

Right now I am playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Tomodachi Life, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. I really like them all and will continue to play them for quite some time, I believe.

I have a number of other games on my 3DS that I have yet to play, because I'm saving them for when I'll be away. That list looks like this:

Pokémon Y
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Inazuma Eleven
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

(Not too bad a list, I figure!)

-

The games I am sort of interested in adding are Crimson Shroud and Virtue's Last Reward. Would you recommend these? Also, which others would you recommend? I'm open to all sorts of suggestions, though I generally enjoy Nintendo's first-party titles, the odd JRPG, and maybe even a puzzler or two.

Hope this wasn't too long-winded. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, GAF!

Top Bottom