• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS gameplay videos at Nintendo Conference from MXTV

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm torn on Ocarina of Time 3DS. On one hand it's really nice to have a portable console-Zelda. But on the other, what's gonna happen to the traditional top-down porta-Zelda's?

Then again they pretty much said "FUCK YOU" to those with the DS games ):. Something tells me the closest we'll get is a FS/A title on 3DS-Ware.

Amir0x said:
The game discs that were given out as pre-order bonuses
Virtual Console
Various replays through the years of the original

Yeah, i'm a little burnt out on Ocarina of Time. I can't even muster the slightest excitement for it, not unless they announce they're gonna add new dungeons. I strongly dislike the graphical style they've gone for this version too, although it's nice to see a steady framerate.

Really, almost all of the 3DS initial offerings don't really appeal to me. Lots of ports or third tier shit. For the moment, I'm all MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3 and PAPER MARIO 3DS.
MML3 is my huge "Holy Fuck!" 3DS announcement. $250 seemed like way too high a price until that was announced.

Now it's just a high price.:lol

Pappasman said:
I'm not saying it wasn't an improvement graphically, I was just saying that the OoT remake is more drastic change.

oot-compare.jpg

other than slightly changed textures and models, what's the "drastic impovement"?

TestOfTide said:
other than slightly changed textures and models, what's the "drastic impovement"?
While there are big differences technically, the difference isn't noted well at all in that particular comparison in my opinion. Luckily, it looks a lot better in motion, even in blurry 3D, off camera footage.

Having a portable OoT is seriously a dream from my younger days. :lol I knew it would happen eventually, I'm just really happy to have it finally coming. I'm sure there will be new content, not sure what yet but I have to assume there will be some changed/additional things if you go by Mario 64 DS.

With things like Paper Mario already on the way/close to being launch (?) it seems we'll have at least a few more early 'new' offerings from Nintendo this time round. On DS we got, Wario Ware? Then some tech demo things like Touch-And-Go for a bit? Then Kirby kinda got the ball rolling with the new game awesomness.

Pappasman said:
the textures and models... they look way better.

- Ground is still a blurry mess (as you tell from less blurry, non-youtube screenshots)
- shadows are still working the exact same way
- not that much in polygon improvement, even link is mostly improved due to more distinct and smooth textures.

Seems like most of the improvement went into the framerate and 3D.

Framerate, textures, and poly counts are a metric fuckton improvement.

Look at the tree behind Link! In the N64 pic it's root is just a straight set of polies. In the 3DS screen it's rounded.

Boney

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Framerate, textures, and poly counts are a metric fuckton improvement.

Look at the tree behind Link! In the N64 pic it's root is just a straight set of polies. In the 3DS screen it's rounded.
It's still the exact same game though :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Boney said:

Only more beautiful, running at an actually playable framerate, running in 3D, with the addition of dual screen interface improvements, and portable for the first time.

Honestly, they could have dropped a barely augmented ROM on a 3DS game pak and called it a day. Can't fucking wait.

Big One

Banned
Boney said:
You mean you think there won't be any extra dungeons and content? Who do you think this is? Square-Enix? Nintendo tends to add shit to their PORTs, and this one is an actual remake.

Boney

Banned
I'm sure there are gonna be extra goodies, similar to the extra dungeon and tunics in LA DX. But 95% of the design is looking to be the same. Do not want that. Give me a REmake, Zero Mission type of deal and I'd give the cart a good sucking.

Thunder Monkey said:
Out of the Zeldas this and MM are the ones I've beaten the least.

I may buy it again, but MML3 is my reason to get a 3DS.
The fact that Paper Mario is not there makes you my enemy.

Boney said:
I'm sure there are gonna be extra goodies, similar to the extra dungeon and tunics in LA DX. But 95% of the design is looking to be the same. Do not want that. Give me a REmake, Zero Mission type of deal and I'd give the cart a good sucking.

The fact that Paper Mario is not there makes you my enemy.
Sorry man Paper Mario was more my brothers thing.

Boney said:
Might as well make a new Zelda game then, which definitely wouldn't be ready anywhere near launch. It's obvious Zelda and Starfox came from meetings where they asked "What big titles can we make at a high quality in just a few months?"

D-Pad

The fact that this OOT is portable is the reason I'm going to dip again (forth dip, original N64 version, master's quest and collectors, both for GC). Playing OOT while taking a pooper has always been my dream.

Same with Paper Mario.

trinest

Someone mentioned in this thread porting MM and making a third Hero of Time game- they should so do that- that would be awesome.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Nintendo just needs to give us full fucking trailers of their games. I want to see these games in motion for more than 2 seconds.

Boney said:
Is that known for certain or just an assumption?

Either way, I'm on the fence with OoT. If it has a decent amount of new content I'll probably bite. I've only beaten it twice, once when it came out and again when I got the Master Quest disc, so not my favorite Zelda game. If it's just graphical improvements I'll probably pass.

Ultimatum

Banned
I wonder if you can watch youtube 3D on the 3DS :D

and in regards to OOT, still doesn't look that different. Of course we're going to see better character models, but that's due to modelling techniques we use now. OOT 3DS is still unimpressive.

trinest said:
Someone mentioned in this thread porting MM and making a third Hero of Time game- they should so do that- that would be awesome.
No please. I know it would sound like a great idea and all.

But I'd rather like a safe bet like an Ocarina of Time given the Zero-Mission treatment of having a few extras along with graphical redesign, than having a new OoT/MM Sequel that could jeopardize the sacred franchise.

Ezduo

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
No please. I know it would sound like a great idea and all.

But I'd rather like a safe bet like an Ocarina of Time given the Zero-Mission treatment of having a few extras along with graphical redesign, than having a new OoT/MM Sequel that could jeopardize the sacred franchise.
We just need more games with a time mechanic like Majora's Mask.

Londa

Banned
Pappasman said:
I'm not saying it wasn't an improvement graphically, I was just saying that the OoT remake is more drastic change.

oot-compare.jpg
Wow I forgot that link had a split in his tunic. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just noticed, the sword hilt and Link's hand are both missing in the N64 shot :lol

Also n64 Link looks kinda chubby compared to 3DS Link :D

Top Bottom