• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of hoping someone would try to port PPSSPP to 3ds, instinctively it feels like it could run some games decently on n3ds. Considering how well it runs on my 5 year old smartphone. Kind of tempted to look at it myself but my programming experience is almost non-existent and I'm impatient. But maybe I'm overestimating n3ds' hardware.

Yeah, I think you are. :p

PSP is a bit more powerful than PS1 if I'm not mistaken, and we're far from being able to play PS1 games at decent speed.

Boney

Banned
Thanks! And thanks for pointing out the fact that it was hackable and for pointing me to the thread as well.

Now to hope for CFW to get going on 10.4.0-29E. The Doom port was pretty good though, are there any other idtech engines ported? Could I put Hexen on there, that'd be hot.

Edit: Seems not, but at least Quake, the superior FPS, is ported :D.
I was trying to get Doom to run but no dice ;(

any tips?

pocketsnes is much better then any of the other snes cores, it runs games like ff6 and super mario rpg at a full 60 fps while they run at ~40 fps in catsfc

It's worth noting the solid fps in pocketsnes comes at the cost of sound. Mario rpg has a lot of blips and bloops where sounds are supposed to be.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was trying to get Doom to run but no dice ;(

any tips?

I just got the starter pack, which included Doom and it worked without issue. It did crash somewhere on the third level though.

Duke Nukem runs even better, god damn, really nice port.

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, sort of a set back.

My brother upgraded my New3DSXL to 10.5.0.30-U

I have Cubic Ninja, a Normal 3DSXL on 9.2.0.20u

I have the Nand backup of my New3DSXL

can I downgrade this new3DSXL back to 9.2 ?

Thanks, so far I have upgraded NinjaHAX, Installed MenuHax.......

- I also have a Gateway 3DS

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ripped my collection of games and installed them as CIAs... but to my surprise, they had no save data.

Assuming I hadn't deleted my save data... is there some utility I have to use to convert saves from cart format into CIA format?

sonto340

Ripped my collection of games and installed them as CIAs... but to my surprise, they had no save data.

Assuming I hadn't deleted my save data... is there some utility I have to use to convert saves from cart format into CIA format?
Save data filer will do just this.

I don't have the instructions super fresh in my mind right now, but you'll need to extract saves from the "CTR cart" and be mindful of the titleid's of the games you have installed and inject them.

I usually eject the card after extracting the save just so nothing stupid happens.

For some games (I think games that don't let you copy or backup save data like Pokemon/animal crossing) you'll have to "delete the secure value" or it will throw up a corrupted data error.

I'm sure you can find much better instructions I save data filer on GBATemp or elsewhere but it's pretty straightforward.

BocoDragon

Save data filer will do just this.

I don't have the instructions super fresh in my mind right now, but you'll need to extract saves from the "CTR cart" and be mindful of the titleid's of the games you have installed and inject them.

I usually eject the card after extracting the save just so nothing stupid happens.

For some games (I think games that don't let you copy or backup save data like Pokemon/animal crossing) you'll have to "delete the secure value" or it will throw up a corrupted data error.

I'm sure you can find much better instructions I save data filer on GBATemp or elsewhere but it's pretty straightforward.
Thanks a lot!

It seems like everything works great in the land of EmuNANDed 3DS. As soon as I get the GBA Ambassador games and Menuhax working, this will be the ideal setup :)

L.O.R.D

I want to update my emunand (Reinand on n3DSXL) to 10.5, but I'm thinking my menuhax/payload isn't up to date and that the update may mess up access to emunand.

What's the best way to update menuhax/payloads? I've downloaded the latest menuhax_manager (2.2) and placed the folder into the root directory of the sd card as users are instructed here.

I assume I then need to run the menuhax_manager in the homebrew launcher in SYSNAND, yeah? Unfortunately, that program doesn't show up in the list in the home-brew launcher. I assume that's because the menuhax_manager folder is now in the root directory now instead of the 3ds folder. Should I just move that folder back into the 3ds folder, even though the author says this: "Extract this archive to the root of the SD card. Since the directory structure on SD has changed, the original "/3ds/menuhax_manager/" directory on your SD card should be deleted."

If the folder has to be in the root directory, how am I supposed to run the menuhax manager using the homebrew launcher in SYSNAND?

Also, is the updating of the menuhax/payloads pretty simple, as in you just run menuhax manager and install like I did the first time? Or, do I have to delete menuhax from SYSNAND first and then reinstall menuhax again with the manager through the home-brew launcher?

Sorry for all the questions!
If you are coldbooting from sysnand 9.2 to emunand, there is really no reason to update your payload for menuhax , unless you want to boot to homebrew channel on emunand.

L.O.R.D

Yes, you can downgrade your n3ds, only if you hard modded your device.

I realize in hindsight that "legit" was not the best term to use. I meant it in the sense that you obtained purchased content from Nintendo and not some pirate copy. I can confirm that it works great for the purpose of installing GBA titles on SysNAND for use under EmuNAND. I'm going to install my DSiWare games over the weekend.
Please keep us informed. I'm still struggling to reinstall my own DSiWare emuNand backups on sysNand.

Robin64

Nintendo have their own app for this, if you aren't comfortable with savedatafiler. It's free on the eShop.

PantsuJo

Yeah, I think you are. :p

PSP is a bit more powerful than PS1 if I'm not mistaken, and we're far from being able to play PS1 games at decent speed.
PSP is A LOT powerful than ps1. Emulating this on N3DS is impossible: the PSP has a 300 Mhz CPU if I remember correctly, while the ps1 uses an old 33 Mhz CPU.
And the GPU is a beast, even compared to the N3DS improved hardware.

BocoDragon

Nintendo have their own app for this, if you aren't comfortable with savedatafiler. It's free on the eShop.

Oh, this is great. Thanks! I just got savedatafiler installed and I was futzing with ID codes and digging through my card, but lo and behold, an official Nintendo utility is much easier.

The only downside is that it deletes the data from the original cart.... but if I ever need that on there again for some reason (doubt it), then I'll get into savedatafiler.

Oh, this is great. Thanks! I just got savedatafiler installed and I was futzing with ID codes and digging through my card, but lo and behold, an official Nintendo utility is much easier.

The only downside is that it deletes the data from the original cart.... but if I ever need that on there again for some reason (doubt it), then I'll get into savedatafiler.

SaveDataFiler is very confusing the first time you try to make sense of it but when it clicks it's stupidly easy.

When you launch it the homebrew loader asks you to select a game right? First select the game you want to extract the savedata from, e.g. your Cartridge. On the left side of the screen you will see its savedata and on the right side your SD card contents. Just copy the savedata somewhere onto your SD card.

Now exit SaveDataFiler and relaunch it, this time you select the game you want to import the savedata to, e.g. your .cia. You simply select your previously copied savedata on the right side and then copy it over to the left side. It took me about an hour to realize this the first time and GBA Temp wasn't really helpful here :/

EDIT: Also make sure to launch the .cia atleast once before attempting to import savedata into it or else SaveDataFiler will crash.

I know you said you done it already with the official tool but I thought I would do the little write-up anyhow :)

Max_Po

Banned

Since I am at the HomeBrew Launcher, is it possible to launch Gateway App from the menu ?

Thanks

Yeah, I second the fact that Savedatafiler is actually pretty easy to use once you get used to it. The only problem I had was with my Pokemon games, but that just required that I delete a secure value and then they worked perfectly.

Just pay attention to what you're doing and it really isn't all that bad.

Ramune

Downgrade the sysNAND to 9.2, set up an emuNAND and update it to 10.5 :)

Thanks, that's what I thought I had to do!
Currently on this firmware:
2016-02-05%2009.31.25.jpg

I'm following this tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...luding-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/

I am kind of stuck on the part where I run PastaCFW

It just makes my screen blank, resulting in me having to turn the console off and back on again. I tried the alternative they suggested, MiniPasta, but not sure if it really did anything as it just takes me back to the Homebrew Launcher. Then there's FBI, and it not recognizing the FIB.cia file.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or is there a better way to do all this that I'm missing.....

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think you have to downgrade first, then install a CFW? Don't quote me on that, but as I understood, the perk of 10.3 was that it was downgradable, so you could get CFWs on there after the downgrade.

wiibomb

Thanks, that's what I thought I had to do!
Currently on this firmware:

I'm following this tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...luding-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/

I am kind of stuck on the part where I run PastaCFW

It just makes my screen blank, resulting in me having to turn the console off and back on again. I tried the alternative they suggested, MiniPasta, but not sure if it really did anything as it just takes me back to the Homebrew Launcher. Then there's FBI, and it not recognizing the FIB.cia file.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or is there a better way to do all this that I'm missing.....

you need to run SysUpdater to downgrade the 3DS, only on 9.2 you can run a CFW or a CIA installer. Read a tutorial about it and take the necessary precautions as it is a risky process that could brick the console.

Yeah, you have to downgrade first. But if you can access the HBL then you can do that too, so it's not a big deal. Kind of a pain but it'll eventually work

As for it being risky, just make sure you install the right firmware for your system. Don't install a different region or install N3DS on an old 3DS and vice versa.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just rocking an old FE:A 3DS here and haven't touched this in a while. I got NinjHax 2.0 installed and am on 9.9.0-26U atm.
Can anyone point me to a guide to get CFW going since most of the talk here is about the N3DS and the OP is extremely outdated.
nmzXLS5.png

I mostly just want to play my GBA games on the internal hardware emu if possible if not I don't care too much so thanks in advance for the info. :)

KPJZKC

(previous post was for a friends O3DS, this one is related to mine)

Was trying to downgrade my N3DS XL from 9.8 using sysupdater, but kept running into that "failed to get" error. Switched to safesysupdater and it was maybe 10 files into patching, then native firmware, then another file, and then the normal DS "error has occurred screen" came on.

It rebooted after I took the SD card out but it's just loading forever if I try to access System Settings/etc. Disappointing - will try to get back into browserhax to try again...

edit - Just black screens if I start it with an SD card in it. Pretty sure the advice for me now is to try recovery...? So much for safesysupdater!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Since I am at the HomeBrew Launcher, is it possible to launch Gateway App from the menu ?

Thanks
You need ARM9 access to restore NAND backup. Your best bet is getting a hardmod to restore your NAND backup.
Just rocking an old FE:A 3DS here and haven't touched this in a while. I got NinjHax 2.0 installed and am on 9.9.0-26U atm.
Can anyone point me to a guide to get CFW going since most of the talk here is about the N3DS and the OP is extremely outdated.
nmzXLS5.png

I mostly just want to play my GBA games on the internal hardware emu if possible if not I don't care too much so thanks in advance for the info. :)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

Use this tutorial. But, use safesysupdater (https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/) instead of the one it links in the tutorial.

max_505

Can I still use an original 3DS cartridge while in emunand? Or do I need to switch to sysnand for that? I only have a DS cartridge here, and while it works in Reinand, I don't know if that will also apply to 3DS cartridges.

Robin64

Can I still use an original 3DS cartridge while in emunand? Or do I need to switch to sysnand for that? I only have a DS cartridge here, and while it works in Reinand, I don't know if that will also apply to 3DS cartridges.

Yeah, they work fine.

Please keep us informed. I'm still struggling to reinstall my own DSiWare emuNand backups on sysNand.

After looking into it briefly, it appears that DSiWare titles (unlike GBA ones) install to a small partition on actual System NAND (referred to as TWL_NAND). Decided to stop at that point.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
After looking into it briefly, it appears that DSiWare titles (unlike GBA ones) install to a small partition on actual System NAND (known as TWL_NAND). Decided to forget it at that point.

Shit, so EmuNAND breaks DSiWare compatibility unless you acquire the games from some shady place and install them to SysNAND? Ehhh...

Shit, so EmuNAND breaks DSiWare compatibility unless you acquire the games from some shady place and install them to SysNAND? Ehhh...

No, and yes. Dump your ticket.db, find the title ID using e.g. FBI (starts with 00048004), and create the CIA using FunkyCIA2. Yes, they require installation to NAND.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I hit to downgrade and I've just been sitting at this for a while:
0KNbxV5.png

Is this the screen you usually see while downgrading?

Edit: Nevermind got it going!
7mNSP3q.png

So how do I proceed from here?

L.O.R.D

micro SD managements on system settings on New 3DS only , right ?
can i install it on the home menu of sysnand ? or even emunand ?

No, and yes. Dump your ticket.db, find the title ID using e.g. FBI (starts with 00048004), and create the CIA using FunkyCIA2. Yes, they require installation to NAND.
I'm getting the following error whilst trying to install.
Code:
Source: SOURCE_FSFILE_WRITE (0x1c)
Module: MODULE_NN_AM (0x20)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_INVALID_ARGUMENT (0x7)
Description: DESCRIPTION_INVALID_SIGNATURE (0x6a)
Is there any subtlety to the FunkyCIA2 prices I may have missed?

Or some part of the FBI install process I may be getting wrong?

I'm getting the following error whilst trying to install.
Code:
Source: SOURCE_FSFILE_WRITE (0x1c)
Module: MODULE_NN_AM (0x20)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_INVALID_ARGUMENT (0x7)
Description: DESCRIPTION_INVALID_SIGNATURE (0x6a)
Is there any subtlety to the FunkyCIA2 prices I may have missed?

Or some part of the FBI install process I may be getting wrong?

Did you use the -personal flag with FunkyCIA2? If so, don't.

I'm probably late, but you can use svdt first to make a copy of your retail savegames (it even places them on neatly named folders), use Nintendo's program to transfer them and then use svdt again to copy the savegames back to the retail cartridges.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hmm I wonder why it wouldn't work..

No clue, I did only try with the supplied shareware file though.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to get music in any of the Duke3D ports? Porta-duke is amazing, just needs a little more oomph.

guys, question

does cakesfw work with emunand 10.5?

also, there is a 500 mb emunand.bin file on the SD. i think it's a botched emunand backup. can i erase it?

BocoDragon

I specifically read yesterday that old 3DS does only up to 32gb. I don't know if it can be worked around with a hack or something, but I did hear that.

Ogawa-san

I've been using a 64GB on my old 3DS for a long time, no hacks required other than using a specific tool to format it as FAT32 because Windows will refuse to due to its size.

BocoDragon

I've been using a 64GB on my old 3DS for a long time, no hacks required other than using a specific tool to format it as FAT32 because Windows will refuse to due to its size.

Fantastic news. After just ripping all my carts to SD, I barely have room on my 32gb.

max_505

If I do a system transfer on a O3DS w/cfw to a N3DS w/cfw, what happens to the O3DS after? Will it get restored to factory settings (and lose homebrew, cfw, etc.)?

Top Bottom