• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

There was some drama over at GBATemp over the last week. Luma3DS's main dev had her Temp account as well as her github attacked by someone who gained access to her accounts. The perpetrator deleted stuff off her github page and then wrote vile shit about her under her GBATemp handle. Might explain why people have been having difficulty accessing the files to download.
Damn, that's messed up. Hope they've gotten that sorted out.

I found a mirror on GBATemp, thankfully. Hopefully I can get everything organized and start the process this weekend.

fester

Banned
I've seen a number of people mention the Ultimate VC Injector programs, but has anyone used the SNES Injection Windows GUI version that was recently released? I'm hung up on the requirement of a decrypted snes vc cia.- I thought there was a way to convert my eShop purchases to CIA, but for the life me can't figure out how to do it.

So far so good.
I'm currently backing up my sysNAND and waiting for that to finish.
No issues so far!

EDIT: Crap, hit a roadblock installing arm9loaderhax. 0.0

I enter the URL in the browser (dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin), but when it trys loading the page it says its loading it, but it only shows a blank screen, then bottom screen flashes for a fraction of a second, and then the whole system freezes after a second or two.

I've checked that the files are in the right folders, I've "initialized data" in the browser to clear it and started over again, but I'm still getting the same issue. Someone apparently had the same issue as I had on GBAtemp and included pics here
The "initialze data" step apparently worked for them there, but didn't for me for some reason. :/

Any suggestions I can try?
I'm thinking later tomorrow I'll re-download all the files again and try loading the URL again. Other than that I'm not sure what else to try.

Opa-Pa

I've seen a number of people mention the Ultimate VC Injector programs, but has anyone used the SNES Injection Windows GUI version that was recently released? I'm hung up on the requirement of a decrypted snes vc cia.- I thought there was a way to convert my eShop purchases to CIA, but for the life me can't figure out how to do it.

Huh, I've been using the older injector without knowing this one existed, thanks.

And did you try decrypt9 already? That should be able to dump VC stuff.

womp

So far so good.
I'm currently backing up my sysNAND and waiting for that to finish.
No issues so far!

EDIT: Crap, hit a roadblock installing arm9loaderhax. 0.0

I enter the URL in the browser (dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin), but when it trys loading the page it says its loading it, but it only shows a blank screen, then bottom screen flashes for a fraction of a second, and then the whole system freezes after a second or two.

I've checked that the files are in the right folders, I've "initialized data" in the browser to clear it and started over again, but I'm still getting the same issue. Someone apparently had the same issue as I had on GBAtemp and included pics here
The "initialze data" step apparently worked for them there, but didn't for me for some reason. :/

Any suggestions I can try?
I'm thinking later tomorrow I'll re-download all the files again and try loading the URL again. Other than that I'm not sure what else to try.

After you put in the URL and the screen wigs out and seems to freeze, press the select button, count to six, then press the A button. Carry on.

This happened to all three systems I have done so far. :)

After you put in the URL and the screen wigs out and seems to freeze, press the select button, count to six, then press the A button. Carry on.

This happened to all three systems I have done so far. :)

Yeah, and by "carry on" he will probably need to hold the power button to turn it off. A9LH will have been installed. The thing is the guide explains the glitched screen/freeze might happen and what to do about it, it seems like people don't read carefully :p

You can edit those banners using basicSNESinjector with relative ease provided you know how to use photoshop or similar programs. You just replace the templates for your edited banners and follow the instructions. It worked for me.

Thanks! I took your advice and it worked beautifully!

Yeah, and by "carry on" he will probably need to hold the power button to turn it off. A9LH will have been installed. The thing is the guide explains the glitched screen/freeze might happen and what to do about it, it seems like people don't read carefully :p
I did see that section, but I'm worried what I'm getting is different than the glitch described in the troubleshooting portion of the guide. I only have a few seconds where the buttons work before it locks up and I have to hold the power button down to restart it.

I'll try pressing select and then A again, but I have tried that already and it didn't seem to work.
After doing it I checked the folder on the SD card and it didn't seem to have the file that's suppose to be created after doing the step (OTP.bin I think).

I'll try it once or twice again to see if it does it.

EDIT: No dice. :(

Is there suppose to be an OTP.bin file already in the a9lh folder, or is installing arm9 suppose to create one?
I go to the URL and my 3DS freezes I press select, wait a while, then hit A, turn it off, plug my SD card into my computer, and there's no OTP.bin file in the computer.

Everything else went so smoothly, so I don't know why this step is being so annoying.

Opa-Pa

Haven't tried neither of them myself, but I think I read something about Hourglass9 only being able to dump from carts while Decrypt9 working for digital content? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yay, I fixed it!

I apparently put some files in the wrong place for the arm9loaderhax step. I re-download ed everything today and followed all the steps again and it worked perfectly.

My Black Friday n3DS is now all homebrewed up (or whatever the verb is for doing all of this).

Now I just need to do it for my n3DS XL which has all my games and stuff on it. A little more stressful, but as long as I don't get stuck again it should go smoothly.

Xbro

Okay quick question. I'm hacking someone's 3DS right now and before I boot into Decrypt9, I wanted to make sure the wireless was turned on and connect to my internet. Looks like for some reason Parental Controls are on and I don't know the pin. I also have no way of contacting the person at the moment. Is there a way to bypass these with homebrew?

rekameohs

Banned
New Retroarch release is pretty awesome. It's got core switching, XMB layout, separating games by console, recently played titles, basically most everything you'd expect from the PC version. I'm really liking it.

Slightly off-topic

I just noticed my 3DS charging light won't turn off when fully charged. Should I be worried? I played with it today and it lasted like 3+ hours though.

sensui-tomo

just did the hack and boy was that smoother than ironhax was back in the day, i was wondering, is it at all possible that when i get a larger microsd card(n3ds) can i just copy everything on the hacked micro SD over to the new one and everything should work the same right? or are there hidden files which would require me to do some steps over again, Planning on doing this for some friends and would like to know the majority of the questions i'm sure to be asked. Planning on going from 32gb to... whatever.

Lookie401

Okay quick question. I'm hacking someone's 3DS right now and before I boot into Decrypt9, I wanted to make sure the wireless was turned on and connect to my internet. Looks like for some reason Parental Controls are on and I don't know the pin. I also have no way of contacting the person at the moment. Is there a way to bypass these with homebrew?
Try this site: https://mkey.salthax.org

Daemul

Fasthax is now officially released, so people who were waiting until it was stable before going through with the process of installing CFW can now do so.

Opa-Pa

just did the hack and boy was that smoother than ironhax was back in the day, i was wondering, is it at all possible that when i get a larger microsd card(n3ds) can i just copy everything on the hacked micro SD over to the new one and everything should work the same right? or are there hidden files which would require me to do some steps over again, Planning on doing this for some friends and would like to know the majority of the questions i'm sure to be asked. Planning on going from 32gb to... whatever.

It's as easy as just copy/pasting everything, yeah. I did it myself when I upgraded to a 64GB card.

Just finished doing my New 3DS. Absolutely went fine and I didn't have to reinstall anything at all (and since I'm pretty much digital only, that's a good thing.)

The only question I have is: should I worry about Nintendo updating the 3DS? Do I leave everything as is, and accept firmware updates so that I can keep using the eShop? Obviously, being digital only makes this extremely important. Thanks for the help.

Firmware updates always ask for your approval on 3DS.

That being said, Nintendo have not made a peep at all about this new hack. Maybe the 3DS really is EOL already. They haven't bothered to update the Wii U either and that one has been hacked wide open for months.

DagsJT

Just copied my files off my old 32GB card onto a new 64GB card and getting an error stating "Cannot display the software on the MicroSD card. The microSD card could not be accessed."

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Just finished doing my New 3DS. Absolutely went fine and I didn't have to reinstall anything at all (and since I'm pretty much digital only, that's a good thing.)

The only question I have is: should I worry about Nintendo updating the 3DS? Do I leave everything as is, and accept firmware updates so that I can keep using the eShop? Obviously, being digital only makes this extremely important. Thanks for the help.

New firmwares might prevent installation of CFW on fresh systems.
But once hacked, you're quite safe.

I've done it in the past, but I forgot how to install Retroarch.

Do I download the larger Retroarch nightly .3ds.7z file, and then put all the .3ds files into the 3ds folder on my SD card?

Do I need to download the cia.7z and 3dsx.7z folders and put those files somewhere too?

painey

this stuff changes all the time, but I will be moving from America overseas soon and I have a new 3DS. With custom firmware on my current 11.2 3DS will I be able to play European store bought games?

rekameohs

Banned
I've done it in the past, but I forgot how to install Retroarch.

Do I download the larger Retroarch nightly .3ds.7z file, and then put all the .3ds files into the 3ds folder on my SD card?

Do I need to download the cia.7z and 3dsx.7z folders and put those files somewhere too?
Only download the CIA zip.

Put the "retroarch" and "cia" folders in the root of the SD, then open the FBI homebrew, navigate to the "cia" folder, and install all of the files, or at least the ones that you want.

The "3DS" zip is basically just source code (I believe the Gateway flashcart might use it as well?), and the "3DSX" zip is for use in the Homebrew Launcher. Using CIAs (installing directly to the Home Menu) is better, though.

this stuff changes all the time, but I will be moving from America overseas soon and I have a new 3DS. With custom firmware on my current 11.2 3DS will I be able to play European store bought games?

Yes, Though you won't be able to download DLC / updates from Nintendo.

Firmware updates always ask for your approval on 3DS.

That being said, Nintendo have not made a peep at all about this new hack. Maybe the 3DS really is EOL already. They haven't bothered to update the Wii U either and that one has been hacked wide open for months.

I'm a little surprised they haven't updated the Wii U since there was no functional RedNAND that would allow updates for months and a new update would have at least ended that. But the Wii U has nothing new coming (beyond some promised stuff they probably moved primarily to the Switch months ago).

The 3DS hack is still new so I'm not surprised, they often take a while with kernel/arm9 hacks (probably wise since they've been known to patch errors that weren't public (thus revealing them) while leaving the public ones untouched in the past).

Nightbird

Weird question:

Is there a way to change the Gender of my MC in Pokémon Moon with any kind of exploit or something?

I got bored with my male character and his limited clothing options, so i wanna switch over and make him female without losing my 200+ hours save file.

Is there a way to do that?

There's some called PKSE (Pokemon Save Editor) that seems like it would be able to do that, I've never used it though, only heard about it from a friend

Got both my 3DS's on homebrew.

Definitely fantastic to have, but I'm honestly wondering what I should do next.
I think I need to download a better Retroarch build because what I've tried of SNES games (just Super Metroid so far) hasn't been as good as playing the 3DS VC version I own, which is odd because back when the classic "Ancient Aliens" Neogaf thread was active, I homebrewed my 3DS and got it working perfectly then. I'm hoping it's just the build I downloaded of Retroarch.

Also, the few GBA games I've tried were a little chuggy or glitchy. Some of that I can expect from emulation, but Castlevania Circle of the Moon was slowing down a lot in some places. Again, hopefully another build of Retroarch could help with that, otherwise I'll just stick with my GBA SP, Micro, or my DS Lite for playing my GBA games (but I'd obviously prefer to have them all available on my 3DS).

Got both my 3DS's on homebrew.

Definitely fantastic to have, but I'm honestly wondering what I should do next.
I think I need to download a better Retroarch build because what I've tried of SNES games (just Super Metroid so far) hasn't been as good as playing the 3DS VC version I own, which is odd because back when the classic "Ancient Aliens" Neogaf thread was active, I homebrewed my 3DS and got it working perfectly then. I'm hoping it's just the build I downloaded of Retroarch.

Also, the few GBA games I've tried were a little chuggy or glitchy. Some of that I can expect from emulation, but Castlevania Circle of the Moon was slowing down a lot in some places. Again, hopefully another build of Retroarch could help with that, otherwise I'll just stick with my GBA SP, Micro, or my DS Lite for playing my GBA games (but I'd obviously prefer to have them all available on my 3DS).

You're doing it wrong. SNES and GBA games are best played as VC injections. They run flawlessly.

You're doing it wrong. SNES and GBA games are best played as VC injections. They run flawlessly.

Has anyone tried all the special chip SNES games yet ?

The GBA Pokemon games don't work completely right either (you need to patch them and even then there seems to be some issues with the bit after beating the Elite 4).

But yeah apart from those very few things the VC is definitely the best way to do things.

Top Bottom