• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Vorg

Banned
So guys is there a way to dump my game carts so I don't have to carry them around? Still new to this 3ds hacking business (just went through the guide yesterday).

Also, is there a way to upgrade to a bigger sd card without losing all of my saves and stuff?

Thanks.

flowsnake

So guys is there a way to dump my game carts so I don't have to carry them around? Still new to this 3ds hacking business (just went through the guide yesterday).

Also, is there a way to upgrade to a bigger sd card without losing all of my saves and stuff?

Thanks.

Boot into Hourglass9 by holding start when powering on, dump carts to cia, install the cias using FBI.

Dumping DS games to rom works fine though (though I think DSi-enhanced games don't work?).

It might be bugged for DSi-enhanced games but it might also be that most DS flashcards don't support DSi-enhanced games, and you need to dump them without the DSi-enhanced stuff for them to run. Hopefully someone looks into it.

womp

Just a heads up...guy over on Reddit was reporting and showing a photo that his Pikachu Yellow N3DS XL that came out today came with 11.2.

Just a heads up...guy over on Reddit was reporting and showing a photo that his Pikachu Yellow N3DS XL that came out today came with 11.2.

That's not really unexpected. There's usually at least a month before manufacture and store shelves for launch products (to make sure everywhere has them on time). But its definitely good to know for people who want to get one and CFW it.

womp

That's not really unexpected. There's usually at least a month before manufacture and store shelves for launch products (to make sure everywhere has them on time). But its definitely good to know for people who want to get one and CFW it.

Right, but there have been a lot of people questioning it so it is good to have it confirmed nonetheless. Seems like the recent stock of Galaxy models are good to go as well.

flowsnake

It might be bugged for DSi-enhanced games but it might also be that most DS flashcards don't support DSi-enhanced games, and you need to dump them without the DSi-enhanced stuff for them to run. Hopefully someone looks into it.

Coincidentally there's a new update to Hourglass9 that improves compatibiility with DSi carts.

Blastoise

Banned
I put in a 128GB card because I had a spare lying around.

It has really bogged down the whole system. I might go back to 32GB.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have a n3DS, and the SD Card is a Samsung Evo+

Will the guide in op work for og 3ds with fw version 8.1.0-19U?

I mainly want it to rid of the region lock.

Yes. There are methods in the guide for both systems for all systems up to 11.3 (not inclusive) though some of them might require extra steps or possession of particular game carts as an entry method (if you can find a game cart with the 11.2 upgrade for your region on it, you're definitely good to go with any firmware up to 11.2).

RootCause

Yes. There are methods in the guide for both systems for all systems up to 11.3 (not inclusive) though some of them might require extra steps or possession of particular game carts as an entry method (if you can find a game cart with the 11.2 upgrade for your region on it, you're definitely good to go with any firmware up to 11.2).

Do you happen to know of the games with system update 11.2?

FSLink

Banned

For me (also using 128GB) there is an initial longer load when booting back into the Home screen but nothing that bad.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

For me (also using 128GB) there is an initial longer load when booting back into the Home screen but nothing that bad.

I have a 64GB, there's a noticeable lag on boot up from OFF that's a little longer than it was with my 16GB.

enbred

Banned
Yes anything above 32GB is considerably slower in my experience. I want to trim down the content on my 64GB and go back to 32.

FSLink

Banned
I don't find the initial longer boot time that much of an issue since I usually have my 3DS on sleep on the charger so I hardly ever see it.

enbred

Banned
It's not just the initial boot time. Games load slower too, sure it's just a couple of seconds slower but it's there. Also moving around the home screen lags sometimes.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question. What's the best way to inject a saved game from a CIA into a retail cart? Savedatafiler?

I have both versions of Ocarina of Time 3D and I'm migrating my games to a 64GB SD, so I can use my 128GB card with my Switch this week. I'd love to get rid of the digital version of the game but keep its save safe on the cart.

Quick question. What's the best way to inject a saved game from a CIA into a retail cart? Savedatafiler?

I have both versions of Ocarina of Time 3D and I'm migrating my games to a 64GB SD, so I can use my 128GB card with my Switch this week. I'd love to get rid of the digital version of the game but keep its save safe on the cart.

Should be JKSM as a CIA of you're looking for homebrew though SDF should work.

Dark Rider

I want to set up some emulators so other than the injection method what emulators should I get?
is RetroArch the end all be all? should I get the .cia that has them all if its working well and which stable/nightie should I get?
what stand alone emulators I should look into that is not RetroArch?
I need a list of the injectors and check what games I have to utilize them

Edit: I forgot to ask, should I have godmode9/safemod9 if I have hourglass9?

Ramune

Assuming you're on Luma you can update safely (just make sure you're running the latest Stable Luma first or Nightly if that's you're thing).

So I download the latest Luna (preferably a stable version). Is it built into the app, or do I have to go to the site and replace what's on my SD Card? I'm at work, and...forgot to bring my N3DS with me. Thanks for your help Elau!

So I download the latest Luna (preferably a stable version). Is it built into the app, or do I have to go to the site and replace what's on my SD Card? I'm at work, and...forgot to bring my N3DS with me. Thanks for your help Elau!

If you want the Stable release you can use Luma Updater if you have that installed. Otherwise you need to replace the file on the card somehow, for an N3DS the wireless MicroSD management should suffice for a small file like this.

Jhoan

Quick question. I'm trying to decide on a screwdriver to unscrew my N3DS. Would it be best to get a size 0 Phillips head or a size 0 flat head screwdriver? I had a small size 1 Phillips head that fit perfectly but I misplaced it. Bought a glasses kit from Duane Reade and non of the screwdrivers fit. It's been driving me nuts!

Ewo

If Luma 6.6 is an upgrade for you, don't forget to copy the updated arm9loaderhax.bin to your CTR NAND. If you followed Plailect's guide around the past year or so, you've done this before.

Ramune

If Luma 6.6 is an upgrade for you, don't forget to copy the updated arm9loaderhax.bin to your CTR NAND. If you followed Plailect's guide around the past year or so, you've done this before.

I think it said I was on 6.0 something. Looking at the files and my folders, I must have did all this in August. I already updated to 11.3. Is it too late to do this?

In the kit I got PH0 were the perfect fit. PH1 were a bit too small and could damage the screws.
But the sizes are as follows

ph000 < ph00 < ph0 < ph1 < ph2 etc

Flexsteel-Good-Quality-12PCS-CR-V-Precision-Screwdriver-font-b-Bit-b-font-Set-IncludesPH000-font.jpg

Nintendo say ph0 but ph1 definitely feels better for me

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15287/kw/Face plate

I think it said I was on 6.0 something. Looking at the files and my folders, I must have did all this in August. I already updated to 11.3. Is it too late to do this?

No, just replace the file on the SD and then you can use FBI to copy it to CTR NAND if you're confident.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I want to set up some emulators so other than the injection method what emulators should I get?
is RetroArch the end all be all? should I get the .cia that has them all if its working well and which stable/nightie should I get?
what stand alone emulators I should look into that is not RetroArch?
I need a list of the injectors and check what games I have to utilize them

Edit: I forgot to ask, should I have godmode9/safemod9 if I have hourglass9?

If you have the FBI 'game' app installed, then go to the TitleDB in the main menu with the Wifi turned on. There you can download the CIAs for the standalone emulators. Those are all the 'best' working versions, so use those.

Dark Rider

If you have the FBI 'game' app installed, then go to the TitleDB in the main menu with the Wifi turned on. There you can download the CIAs for the standalone emulators. Those are all the 'best' working versions, so use those.

Thank you :)
Its neat to download the cia files directly into the 3ds and install them.

ty_hot

My shell was broken (Previous owner) so I ordered another o e from China and made the change. This shot doesn't fit correctly but it's better than before (it seemed like the console came back from Syria).

Anyway, I'm glad it's working. I have my 3DS XL on 11.2.0-35U with that ah9l thing. Can I update it?

Dark Rider

My shell was broken (Previous owner) so I ordered another o e from China and made the change. This shot doesn't fit correctly but it's better than before (it seemed like the console came back from Syria).

Anyway, I'm glad it's working. I have my 3DS XL on 11.2.0-35U with that ah9l thing. Can I update it?

yes you can update but imake sure that a9hl + luma are up to date. You should also update your hbl.

max_505

I'm selling my New 3DS XL with A9LH+Luma3DS and the buyer wants a "fresh" system and still keep the CFW and the games I installed.

Is that possible? What are the steps I need to do to basically reformat it (and remove NNID, and info I might have inputted, etc.) while keeping the A9LH and all the games?

I'm selling my New 3DS XL with A9LH+Luma3DS and the buyer wants a "fresh" system and still keep the CFW and the games I installed.

Is that possible? What are the steps I need to do to basically reformat it (and remove NNID, and info I might have inputted, etc.) while keeping the A9LH and all the games?

To refresh the system: injected FBI into Health & Safety as per usual , do a system format (this will work fine as long as you're in Luma). Then clean up any of your stuff on the SD card (take whatever measures you'd usually do to securely delete stuff if there's anything you're particularly worried about on there), you should leave the OTP.bin if you have it but not any NAND Backups (they probably have your account linked) or stuff that's bound to your account like moveable.sed , then use the FBI in H&S to reinstall the FBI CIA and any other basic CIA stuff they won't (Homebrew channel etc)

You can't keep stuff installed with a fresh system but you can then use FBI to reinstall any CIAs and stuff you have.

max_505

To refresh the system: injected FBI into Health & Safety as per usual , do a system format (this will work fine as long as you're in Luma). Then clean up any of your stuff on the SD card (take whatever measures you'd usually do to securely delete stuff if there's anything you're particularly worried about on there), you should leave the OTP.bin if you have it but not any NAND Backups (they probably have your account linked) or stuff that's bound to your account like moveable.sed , then use the FBI in H&S to reinstall the FBI CIA and any other basic CIA stuff they won't (Homebrew channel etc)

You can't keep stuff installed with a fresh system but you can then use FBI to reinstall any CIAs and stuff you have.

Thanks for this!

Ramune

No, just replace the file on the SD and then you can use FBI to copy it to CTR NAND if you're confident.

Did just that, and had no problems (helped the guide had a topic on the very top of the site for this very process). I started to dump some carts, but is there any particular games I need to be mindful for as far as them being intact? Like does the special edition Fire Emblem Fates cart (with all three games), turn to a .cia alright? Seems that way when I booted it up. However my Project Mirai DX, had an update (forgot 3DS games could do that), and not only does it take a while to do so, it errors out at 99%. So is there an alternative way to get patches or DLC on dumped game images? Or do I have to do some searching for a post patched .cia?

Did just that, and had no problems (helped the guide had a topic on the very top of the site for this very process). I started to dump some carts, but is there any particular games I need to be mindful for as far as them being intact? Like does the special edition Fire Emblem Fates cart (with all three games), turn to a .cia alright? Seems that way when I booted it up. However my Project Mirai DX, had an update (forgot 3DS games could do that), and not only does it take a while to do so, it errors out at 99%. So is there an alternative way to get patches or DLC on dumped game images? Or do I have to do some searching for a post patched .cia?

There are no 3DS dumping problems I'm aware of.

Is Project Mirai out of region ? Updates / DLC won't work out of region and need to be installed via CIA.

Unicorn

I've asked before, but asking again for clarification because I'm nervous:

I want to do a system transfer from an OG non-CFW 3DS XL (ambassador, but doesn't really matter) to a a9lh n3DS.

Anything fancy I need to do, or just blindly do the system transfer?

also to cut down on transfer time, should I delete my games on the OG 3DS? Saves and ownership will transfer to redownload, correct?

I've asked before, but asking again for clarification because I'm nervous:

I want to do a system transfer from an OG non-CFW 3DS XL (ambassador, but doesn't really matter) to a a9lh n3DS.

Anything fancy I need to do, or just blindly do the system transfer?

also to cut down on transfer time, should I delete my games on the OG 3DS? Saves and ownership will transfer to redownload, correct?

Saves won't transfer if you delete stuff, sadly they are bound to the game, so if you want to keep the saves you'll have to put up with it. If you can get homebrew working on the OG , which you should via soundhax , you may be able to dump stuff using the JKSM 3dsx version but it's unfortunately spotty compatability wise compared to the CIA.

Otherwise the system transfer is fine, though you'll need to reinject FBI and then reinstall the CIA version then other CIA's afterwoods since they'll be nuked.

Unicorn

Saves won't transfer if you delete stuff, sadly they are bound to the game, so if you want to keep the saves you'll have to put up with it. If you can get homebrew working on the OG , which you should via soundhax , you may be able to dump stuff using the JKSM 3dsx version but it's unfortunately spotty compatability wise compared to the CIA.

Otherwise the system transfer is fine, though you'll need to reinject FBI and then reinstall the CIA version then other CIA's afterwoods since they'll be nuked.

oh god thanks for that info! I'll just leave them in and deal with the wait.

I think my dongle just shat itself though. Can't get my microSD or a brand new microSD to be detected on my laptop or desktop. :/ Was having some issues with microSD and wanted to swap for another 64gb before doing a transfer, but now it looks like I have another issue to deal with.

Top Bottom