• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Launching February 26th For 25000 Yen In Japan, March In US/EU, Features Detailed

Really people, wait for NoA and NoE to announce their respective prices and bundled goods before rushing to judgment on price. You guys seem to be forgetting that the DSi (18,900yen) and DSi XL (20,000yen; $220 then, this converts to $238 now) were both more expensive in Japan than they were in the other regions.

Branduil said:
So not only are they missing the holiday season entirely, they're also charging way too much. Can't say I'm impressed with how Nintendo is handling this.

Yes. It's the worst of both worlds.

DonMigs85

ULTROS! said:
Kinda called it would be $249-$299.

Anyway, I'll skip this and wait for the 3DS Lite version.
It's not much bigger than a DS Lite as it is, plus any revision could take over a year to come out. Perhaps they might even make a BIGGER version ala DSi XL.
Plus the DS Lite's biggest improvement over the original was the brighter screens, size was secondary.

I'm expecting $249 or less for the U.S. launch. We'll see though! I thought the game lineup looked great overall (Mario Kart doesn't look too bad, IMO, better than the earlier screens did...watch the video), but Ridge Racer looked pitiful. Awful. That game had better go through a graphic upgrade. Really liked the look of the new Animal Crossing and Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid really show off the capabilities of the system.

Brofist

AniHawk said:
So $250 in the states seems likely. That sucks. Although the DS was cheaper in NA than Japan for a good long forever, so there's still the possibility it's $200.

Still kinda banking on $200. I think it's one of those psychological barrier things.

Oh, and Link looks weird in the OoT remake.
Right now with the exchange rate 25000 yen is about $300, so $250 would already be the lower for US price.

Rhindle

It's a pretty aggressive move, even for Nintendo. It raises the question of who they are targeting with this: the traditional DS buyer (would they go for that price point?) or a more core/older audience?

On another note: Kinect success is now set. This is a happy day at Microsoft.

First thoughts (subject to change by mood):

Price is unfortunate. The PSP was $250 in 2006, and the 3DS looks to have comparable power. I don't know what the 3D costs. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but for me that's the least appealing part of the system. I know Nintendo is profit-minded above all else, but I find the value proposition lacking. I even thought Wii was fair at $250. Oh well, they've got me by the balls, and they'll still sell a trillion.

Portable VC is great. I'm not a huge fan of DD, but for portables, it really does make sense.

3DS_Connect_24 is never going to be used. I can't imagine why Nintendo is advertising this feature again. They never used it for anything more than firmware upgrades for Wii.

SD card pack-in is a nice touch.

The Mii photograph thing is good addition. My Mii doesn't really look like me. I could use a little help.

Tag Mode feels like the new connectivity. It's getting a big push while I would imagine most here, particularly in the US, would rather hear about the 3DS online structure. I suppose it might be good for Japan, which is more densely populated with more chances to play video games on public transportation.

Black looks nice. I don't like the dual color schemes, so it helps that it's a singular color.

Shame it's not this year as it seems like a long time until February/March :(

At least it gives me more time to save for launch games :) Now I just need to decide, assuming it will be region locked, which version(s) to go with.

Really want to know all the details about the system itself. Whether if it's region free or not, how the online works, how much the games will be, what games will be at launch, details about 3DSWare etc., because at the moment I feel like 24hrs ago, just the pricey price tag appeared.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There seems to be the suggestion that Nintendo was planning to hit before the holidays in Japan but has had to delay. They've cut their profit forecast in half for the year due to the strong yen and 'the release schedule of the 3DS.' So I don't think they were intending to miss the holidays when they made their original forecast.

Sophia

Price is either a hit or a miss. I'm gonna wait for a demo unit to see if I can actually see the 3D effects. If I can't, no price over $200 is worth it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There seems to be the suggestion that Nintendo was planning to hit before the holidays in Japan but has had to delay. They've cut their profit forecast in half for the year due to the strong yen and 'the release schedule of the 3DS.' So I don't think they were intending to miss the holidays when they made their original forecast.

Jonnyram

Bit late and way too expensive.
They should nix the SD card and cradle and try cutting the cost wherever possible. They really need to be more aggressive on that front, esp. for next holiday season when PSP2 is all but a certain competitor.

AniHawk

Rhindle said:
It's a pretty aggressive move, even for Nintendo. It raises the question of who they are targeting with this: the traditional DS buyer (would they go for that price point?) or a more core/older audience?

On another note: Kinect success is now set. This is a happy day at Microsoft.

I don't follow. What happened? No new wii console announcement?

Can't say I'm impressed with the price or the release date. That's way too much for a portable, especially when an impressive chunk of Nintendo's audience are kids. Missing Xmas in every region is kinda lulz too.

Well Sony, here's your opening. Good luck.

AniHawk

gofreak said:

That might explain the existence and suddenness of the Mario 25th anniversary things.

Jonnyram

Tag mode for games while they are not in your machine is AWESOME, by the way.
I fully embrace this. Hope Sony puts that in PSP2!

Mafro

Rhindle said:
There's no reason why they can't target both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Wallach

Segata Sanshiro said:
Can't say I'm impressed with the price or the release date. That's way too much for a portable, especially when an impressive chunk of Nintendo's audience are kids. Missing Xmas in every region is kinda lulz too.

Well Sony, here's your opening. Good luck.

For real. Even $250 USD is bonkers for a handheld; Japan might still bite pretty hard but you're talking about a fucking hard sell in EU or NA.

Toki767

Gah, double post. Anyways, Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time are definitely must gets for me if they're launch titles.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is NO WAY that it would be 299 €
25000 yen in 219 €. So i expect 249 € or less.

I really thought it was going to be released this year in Japan and next in NA/EU.
Probably going to be $250 in US, pretty crazy price but it will sell out regardless. Question is if it can mantain good sales at that price point.

I was hoping it woud be $200, but eh, wasn't planning to get it at launch anyway. But this means the DSi won't drop in price anytime soon. I want to play Shantae :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jonnyram said:
Bit late and way too expensive.
They should nix the SD card and cradle and try cutting the cost wherever possible. They really need to be more aggressive on that front, esp. for next holiday season when PSP2 is all but a certain competitor.

Does Nintendo always need to be cheaper than Sony? I know it helps, but...

Also, in terms of services, they announced a deal with Fuji TV to push content to 3DSes on a daily basis.

http://en.akihabaranews.com/63433/gaming/nintendo-3ds-3d-content-partnership

Desiato

Good news all around. I wish they would've told us whether it's region free or not. I'm in Japan right now and I really want to buy it here, and when I get home I want to be able to play European games too.

Desiato said:
Good news all around. I wish they would've told us whether it's region free or not. I'm in Japan right now and I really want to buy it here, and when I get home I want to be able to play European games too.
Given that the DSi and DSi LL/XL aren't, I wouldn't hope for anything here.

u_neek

A bit higher than I expected but there's so many great games (I'm even looking forward to the ports) coming that I'm pretty sure I'll bite at launch!

MML3, baby!

szaromir

Banned
I like how they made networking features as if it would be as mainstram as NDS but priced it outside of mainstream. Maybe they'll be able to drop the price quickly though when 3D screens become established technology used more often in other devices.

I don't give a shit about the price point, I'm just mad they aren't releasing the 3DS in purple like when we were first showed it.

Top Bottom