• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Launching February 26th For 25000 Yen In Japan, March In US/EU, Features Detailed

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
GDGF said:
It seems like Western devs are still under NDA or something.

(except for EA? :lol)
There's probably a NDA in NA & EUR atm. Every western games revealed post-E3 was done in Japan.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AceBandage said:
Not sure if it's legit or not, but I've heard that Nintendo was aiming for a "Spring" release with OoT.

Would be awesome, but I doubt we'll ever see it.
Nintendo has sucked up to EA for years (free dev kits, lower licensing fees, ect), and been shafted over and over.
Really? That's news to me.

ILikeFeet

Banned
it makes sense to kiss up to one of the biggest. but since they kept getting shafted by EA support, they should just charge them like everyone else :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ILikeFeet said:
I wouldn't read too much into that list for now. the "launch window" games are listed as spring when the 3DS is a winter release.
Spring starts in March (same month as the 3DS release in Europe and US), and games coming out 2-3 months after a new console can still be considered launch window titles. Not just the ones released on day one.

bdouble

isn't it safe to say almost all games would be kick ass on the 3ds? :lol I mean if the 3d is what people say I don't really know of anything that would be cooler.

Sega

phisheep said:
ILikeFeet said:
never said it was niche. just commenting on how successful the game was
Sorry, mistook you for this guy
Sega said:
Yeah. We still have 2D games on PS3 and Xbox 360 as well. However, 2D games are VERY much in the minority. Very very niche. The regular DS's 3D capabilities weren't quite strong enough to be the default choice for developers. Things have changed, I feel. It's kinda sad. GBA kept them very strong. DS kept them living healthily. And with 3DS... now what?
I was saying that 2D is niche on 360 and PS3, and if you look at what we were talking about at the time, it was on the subject of fully 2D games (as in 2D art/animation as well as play, as specifically stated prior). I also said 2D was healthy on DS because the 3D capabilities were weak enough that it didn't become the default graphical method of developers. Once 3D hardware capabilities go past a certain point, customers seem to expect 3D art, and see it as worth more, even in cases when 2D is more expensive to produce.

Sega

AceBandage said:
Now that companies can run things straight off the SD card easily, and we have a 2GB minimum for storage, yeah, most likely.
Plus Nintendo has given them hardware that facilitates higher budget games, yet stated they want to keep games at the $35-40 level. For example, as I stated in another thread, Metal Gear Solid 3's art on 3DS used higher poly models (PS3 level) to generate normal maps for the low poly models. In other words, those models required the modeling work of both low poly portable art and big budget home console art. At $35-40 (I preordered MGS3 for $35 on Amazon), damn straight developers are going to try to get some extra money on the other end.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gravijah said:
Aww man... we're gonna start getting paid DLC, aren't we?
We already had them. They just used to be sold on disc/cartridge, costed more and were called "sequels".

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Has single card multiplayer (i.e. only one person has the game in their 3DS and can share data with other players so that they can all play that game together, as possible on the DS) been mentioned yet?

Considering that the all-new StreetPass tag mode is pushed as one of the main features of the system and that games like SFIV allow players to exchange data even when neither player has the game inserted, I was wondering if Nintendo had improved that aspect.

Let's take SFIV 3D for instance. As seen in the trailer, if two people are playing the game on their own near each other, one can interrupt the other's game to play against him in versus mode. What I wonder is whether that would be possible if one is playing the game on their system, and the other doesn't have it in theirs (but owns the game and has data on their 3DS) : could they then barge in and challenge the other player anyway? That would be great and would compensate for the absence of game installs that was rumoured a while ago. It would also encourage people to carry their 3DSes around even more.

mmxzero

Personally, I'd love to have something like a Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey for the 3DS.

@Kilrogg: So like an actively searching DS download play?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mmxzero said:
@Kilrogg: So like an actively searching DS download play?

Basically yeah. Or at least being able to initiate download play from the side of the player who doesnt have the game in their system.

Kilrogg said:
Has single card multiplayer (i.e. only one person has the game in their 3DS and can share data with other players so that they can all play that game together, as possible on the DS) been mentioned yet?

Considering that the all-new StreetPass tag mode is pushed as one of the main features of the system and that games like SFIV allow players to exchange data even when neither player has the game inserted, I was wondering if Nintendo had improved that aspect.

Let's take SFIV 3D for instance. As seen in the trailer, if two people are playing the game on their own near each other, one can interrupt the other's game to play against him in versus mode. What I wonder is whether that would be possible if one is playing the game on their system, and the other doesn't have it in theirs (but owns the game and has data on their 3DS) : could they then barge in and challenge the other player anyway? That would be great and would compensate for the absence of game installs that was rumoured a while ago. It would also encourage people to carry their 3DSes around even more.

Great question! This is the number one coolest feature on the DS. Can't tell you how many times this has come in handy and really just lends itself well as a portable, social gaming system.

Regarding that list of launch window games... aside from something being purposefully held-back, I don't see why anything with a working build at this point wouldn't be ready in time to make launch window. These are handheld games, which take less time to complete, and Nintendo moved the release of the 3DS back by three months to meet supply demands. Games that were supposed to be out this holiday season now have until March to polish, and games that were originally going to come a few months later will now be ready near launch. I see no reason that any game we have screens of now won't be ready by March aside from the company purposefully waiting for the most profitable time to release them (which, honestly, is probably the launch window).

Amir0x

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
Regarding that list of launch window games... aside from something being purposefully held-back, I don't see why anything with a working build at this point wouldn't be ready in time to make launch window. These are handheld games, which take less time to complete, and Nintendo moved the release of the 3DS back by three months to meet supply demands. Games that were supposed to be out this holiday season now have until March to polish, and games that were originally going to come a few months later will now be ready near launch. I see no reason that any game we have screens of now won't be ready by March aside from the company purposefully waiting for the most profitable time to release them (which, honestly, is probably the launch window).

you know it's silly to think that. Now, these games are not significantly inferior to Wii titles (indeed, some games look BETTER than most Wii games), and on top of that, the titles announced are tending to the console side experience right now. This would demand a somewhat more intensive development period.

Amir0x said:
you know it's silly to think that. Now, these games are not significantly inferior to Wii titles (indeed, some games look BETTER than most Wii games), and on top of that, the titles announced are tending to the console side experience right now. This would demand a somewhat more intensive development period.

Sure, but most of the more grandiose offerings thus far are ports (MGS3, OoT, etc). I think most games announced so far, aside from Megaman Legends 3 since it was just announced, will be available within the launch window. I would wager a majority of them will be, at the very least. Keep in mind, many of them were expected to be ready by this December and those that wouldn't be ready by then were likely expected to be soon after. I think Nintendo adjusting their release to meet demand will result in a more robust launch because, ideally, we'll be getting what would have been three months worth of software within a span of weeks. This is assuming, of course, that companies don't push things back just for the sake of having a more exclusive week to themselves.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah but unless they add extra content, it's not something that's going to take an immense amount of time. That I agree with. The visuals are not that amazing at all, and actually they're kind of ugly stylistically. The N64 game is just hideous, of course, but the color scheme they went with for the new version seems garish.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
yeah but unless they add extra content, it's not something that's going to take an immense amount of time. That I argee with

Even if they add extra content, it's not something that's going to take an immense amount of time. I mean, Ura Zelda was finished (supposedly), so they could just pull stuff from that if they wanted to.

AniHawk said:
Even if they add extra content, it's not something that's going to take an immense amount of time. I mean, Ura Zelda was finished (supposedly), so they could just pull stuff from that if they wanted to.
I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't already played most of the Ura Zelda content already in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. The power-ups and missions may have changed, but the dungeon designs would probably seem uncannily familiar if we got a chance to play them.

Too expensive :\

Amir0x

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
If a remake is a lovely girlfriend, and a port is a cheap whore, OoT 3DS is akin to paying for the girlfriend experience.

hehe...hehehehehehheehehe

i really enjoyed that comment for some reason

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
So, what about OoT makes it not a full remake?

Typically, remakes tend to heavily modify segments of the game, add in big sections of content. Remakes generally have much more new.

This seems to be a 1:1 port content-wise, with just a new (ugly) graphics engine shuffled over top. Of course, there likely might be some new side quests or something, but overall, it's a pretty low effort thing altogether.

This seems to fall into a category of 'enhanced port', with the 'enhancement' being strictly visuals. But it's hard to say until we know more.

Top Bottom