• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS November update WILL be bringing OS Level friend invites after all!

Door2Dawn said:
Whether it should or shouldn't be standard, it doesn't matter to the majority of handheld buyers. This is fact.

And? Did Apple wait until the majority of iPhone users demanded it? No. Did Sony wait until the majority of owners demanded it? No. Nintendo? Heh. But again, the mindset you're arguing for is what God Nintendo to where it is right now: behind the times. They were behind the times in hardware for the Wii. They were behind the times in a truly capable online system for the Wii. Both have come back to bite them in the ass.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:
They were behind the times in hardware for the Wii. They were behind the times in a truly capable online system for the Wii. Both have come back to bite them in the ass.

Well they sold the most hardware, and arguably won the generation. So I guess when you say "bite them in the ass" you mean "now I have a poor opinion of them," right?

Tathanen said:
Well they sold the most hardware, and arguably won the generation. So I guess when you mean "bite them in the ass" you mean "now I have a poor opinion of them," right?

And what has been happening to them in the last 6-9 months? Oh yea... How much software has been sold outside of their 1st party? Oh yea... Is Microsoft/Sony eating into their potential profits? Oh yea... Why? Well, THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR HD. THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR COMPETITIVE HARDWARE. THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR DLC. THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR CAPABLE MULTIPLAYER. If thats the case, friend, then why is it that Nintendo has been sent scrambling for the 3DS and Wii U? Perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, they were mistaken? Oh yea, they have admitted as much. So yea, congrats for being wrong =D

hatchx

Banned
Nintendo announces something good.

Nintenbots continue hating on what Nintendo does not announce.

Friend List upgrades is good. This thread does not have to do with account transfers.

No matter what Nintendo does guys, we will never get Xenoblade.

hatchx said:
Nintendo announces something good.

Nintenbots continue hating on what Nintendo does not announce.

Friend List upgrades is good. This thread does not have to do with account transfers.

No matter what Nintendo does guys, we will never get Xenoblade.

lol not sure you understand the meaning of that word...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ClovingSteam said:
And what has been happening to them in the last 6-9 months? Oh yea... How much software has been sold outside of their 1st party? Oh yea... Is Microsoft/Sony eating into their potential profits? Oh yea... Why? Well, THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR HD. THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR COMPETITIVE HARDWARE. THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR DLC. THERE ISN'T DEMAND FOR CAPABLE MULTIPLAYER. If thats the case, friend, then why is it that Nintendo has been sent scrambling for the 3DS and Wii U? Perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, they were mistaken? Oh yea, they have admitted as much. So yea, congrats for being wrong =D
So you actually do have a poor opinion of them. Somebody give Tathanen a cookie or something : )

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:

Well let's see. In the past few months, the best selling Wii games have been third-party dance titles. And would you kindly illustrate to me where this "demand for HD and DLC" has impacted sales? I'm very interested in seeing those numbers.

*looks at exclusive Dragon Quest MMO on the internet-challenged Wii and exclusive Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS*

Hmmmmmm.

Tobor

Door2Dawn said:
Whether it should or shouldn't be standard, it doesn't matter to the majority of handheld buyers. This is fact.
I don't see how you can state that as fact. There is an entire generation growing up with account based systems all around them. They are buying new iPhones and iPod Touchs and experiencing the benefits of an account based system. We have Sony getting ready to start a new generation of handheld hardware, and my purchases will transfer just as easily.

Instead of making excuses for Nintendo, we should be demanding parity, at the very least.

blu said:
So you actually do have a poor opinion of them. Somebody give Tathanen a cookie or something : )

Yea, man. That is why I bought a 3DS day 1 and don't regret the purchase. That is why I have bought every single piece of Nintendo hardware since the NES and GB. That is why my favorite games of all time are Nintendo games. But yea, apparently complaining about their ineptitude in handling their online infrastructure is me having a poor opinion of them. Congratulations.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Somnid said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/3ds/JPN/ja.html

-Friend List Function Additions:
You may now join the game that your online friends are currently playing. (supported software to be released in the future)

-System stability and performance enhancements:
The stability and performance of the system has been improved.

So, we can join what our friends are playing self inviting ourselves?
Isn't this a bit Steamesque?

Rush2thestart said:
Dont know if this was answered....dont really have the time to go through all the posts right now...

What about messaging?
All we get for now is that app they announced last week.

Edit:Was it last week?

Somnid

Mpl90 said:
So, we can join what our friends are playing self inviting ourselves?
Isn't this a bit Steamesque?

That's what it sounds like.

Rush2thestart said:
What about messaging?

Swapnote. Specific messaging app (not top menu) that lets you doodle, use voice or photos.

Somnid said:

Swapnote. Specific messaging app (not top menu) that lets you doodle, use voice or photos.

An app...? I hope thats just a side thing cause that sounds really bad. =\

jman2050

People are going to complain about what Nintendo doesn't provide and people will be content with what they're given.

I'm not going to demand more than what I personally wish for but at the same time people's standards are different, and if Nintendo ends up suffering for making decisions that impact the attitudes of their customers in a negative then, well, that's their problem, no one else's.

blu

ClovingSteam said:
Yea, man. That is why I bought a 3DS day 1 and don't regret the purchase. That is why I have bought every single piece of Nintendo hardware since the NES and GB. That is why my favorite games of all time are Nintendo games. But yea, apparently complaining about their ineptitude in handling their online infrastructure is me having a poor opinion of them. Congratulations.
Hey, I was only commenting on the specific post of yours I actually bothered to quote (it did read quite funny, I admit, that may have thrown me off). Otherwise, I too have been buying game hw form vendors I don't have the highest opinion of. I mean, if I was only buying toys from vendors I had nothing but admiration for, I'd be left with nothing but lego ; )

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MatthewB92 said:
All we get for now is that app they announced last week.

Edit:Was it last week?

I think it was two or three weeks.

But yeah it's basically "flipnote messaging," you send sketches and notes and what have you to people in your friend list. It's not os-level, though, which means you can't do it while other applications are running. But since the vast majority of in-app messaging anyone would want to do is invite-related, and there's a dedicated implementation in place for that now, a separate messaging application is probably the best way to go. Particularly when it seems built more around messages that had some effort put into them, not 2 or 3 hastily typed words.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Somnid said:

Ok.
So.
Mario Kart 7 Communities - similar to what can be found on Steam
Join your friends online - similar to how Steam works

Strange pattern.

Len1978

SmokyDave said:
All I know is that I want to be able to buy a new 3DS, put my username and password in and then re-download everything and anything (digital) I've ever bought from a nice, easy to view transactions list. That's how it works with my PSP, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360, PS3, PC (Steam) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same from the newest games hardware on the market.

This

StevieP

Banned
ClovingSteam said:
And? Did Apple wait until the majority of iPhone users demanded it?

I wouldn't make a case for Apple listening to the demands of the people that use their devices. If you own an iPad, try visiting youtube.com. And I'm not talking about mobile/3GP youtube app.

And what has been happening to them in the last 6-9 months? Oh yea... How much software has been sold outside of their 1st party?

From what I recall on their last financial statements (Joker or JoshuaJ can probably provide you with figures) the Wii has, by far, sold the most third party software this generation on the home console front. Is the attach ratio lower than the 360? Yes, by about 1-1.5 - but it is also within reach of the PS3 attach rate.

blu said:
Hey, I was only commenting on the specific post of yours I actually bothered to quote (it did read quite funny, I admit, that may have thrown me off). Otherwise, I too have been buying game hw form vendors I don't have the highest opinion of. I mean, if I was only buying toys from vendors I had nothing but admiration for, I'd be left with nothing but lego ; )

Except I love Nintendo. It represents my childhood and my some of my most cherished memories while growing up. Zelda and Mario are my favorite 1st party titles in all of gaming. I simply expect that a company like Nintendo to be competitive in such basic features that have been around since the beginning of last generation (the 3DS represents next gen). While they have made are making some improvements, the account based system for consumers is and will be very important as we continue pushing forward. It's pivotal for everything Apple does. It's pivotal for everything Microsoft and Sony have and will be doing going forward.

StevieP said:
I wouldn't make a case for Apple listening to the demands of the people that use their devices. If you own an iPad, try visiting youtube.com. And I'm not talking about mobile/3GP youtube.

From what I recall on their last financial statements (Joker or JoshuaJ can probably provide you with figures) the Wii has, by far, sold the most third party software this generation on the home console front. Is the attach ratio lower than the 360? Yes, by about 1-1.5 - but it is also within reach of the PS3 attach rate.

I didn't argue that Apple has listened to the demands of their customers in all ways. I was pointing out that having an account based system was implemented years ago through iTunes and its been one of the reasons that people don't have much problem rebuying a new piece of hardware every year or two. Because they're not losing the purchases they made.

Also, while Nintendo has sold the most 3rd party software over all, it isn't as spread out as Microsoft and Sony from what I remember. It's focused on a few key titles. It's one reason why you don't see as many of the third party titles on the 360/PS3 going to the Wii.

rpmurphy

Mpl90 said:
Ok.
So.
Mario Kart 7 Communities - similar to what can be found on Steam
Join your friends online - similar to how Steam works

Strange pattern.
Nintendo-working-with-Valve-for-online-implementation fantasy is not dead!

StevieP

Banned
Jinfash said:
What's wrong with youtube.com on the iPad?

Hint: ipad doesn't do flash. You can't view all available content, only stuff that's been transcoded to 3GP. My *free* HP touchpad displays the full actual Youtube site (the same one on your PC) which means I can view all videos up to 1080p without the

"this content is not available on mobile" message. Apple listening to all of its customer demands is... well kind of a fallacy.

StevieP said:
Hint: ipad doesn't do flash. You can't view all available content, only stuff that's been transcoded to 3GP. My *free* HP touchpad displays the full actual Youtube site (the same one on your PC) which means I can view all videos up to 1080p without the

"this content is not available on mobile" message. Apple listening to all of its customer demands is... well kind of a fallacy.

Isn't flash known for being a power-hungry battery sucker?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
StevieP said:

I thought youtube.com redirects iOS to the HTML5 site, where every(?) video is viewable.

StevieP

Banned
Jinfash said:
I thought youtube.com redirects iOS to the HTML5 site, where every(?) video is viewable.

YouTube said:
Our support for HTML5 is an early experiment, and there are some limitations. HTML5 on YouTube doesn't support videos with ads, captions, or annotations and it requires a browser that supports both the video tag and h.264 encoded video (currently that means Chrome, Safari, and ChromeFrame on Internet Explorer). We will be expanding the capabilities of the player in the future, so get ready for new and improved versions in the months to come.

Isn't flash known for being a power-hungry battery sucker?

People want it on their mobile devices. I know I do.

StevieP said:

Please show me where I said Apple listened to all of its customer demands. Oh wait...

hatchx said:
Nintenbot: Someone involved in a love/hate relationship with nintendo?

When I think of bot, I don't think of someone who complains about the organization/person/whatever they are a bot of.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
StevieP said:
Our support for HTML5 is an early experiment, and there are some limitations. HTML5 on YouTube doesn't support videos with ads, captions, or annotations and it requires a browser that supports both the video tag and h.264 encoded video (currently that means Chrome, Safari, and ChromeFrame on Internet Explorer). We will be expanding the capabilities of the player in the future, so get ready for new and improved versions in the months to come.
Sounds like Google is listening to their fans.

TheNatural

My Member!
AbsoluteZero said:
Why is this trolling exactly? I would assume it's in Nintendo's best interest to try to prevent as piracy as best as they possibly can.

Trolling to the pirates, I thought that was kind of self explanatory.

blu

Jinfash said:
No, if you go to the front of youtube.com from ios safari, you get redirected to the mobile version of the site. If you get an external link to a youtube video, the procedure is slightly different. Youtube does first-hit transcoding of its normally-flash content. At least that's how it was originally. You'd try to follow a youtube link of some natively flash video, you'd be given the finger, but at the same time the transcoding would kick off so later on that same video would be available in an iOS-friendly format.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Somnid said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/3ds/JPN/ja.html

-Friend List Function Additions:
You may now join the game that your online friends are currently playing. (supported software to be released in the future)

-System stability and performance enhancements:
The stability and performance of the system has been improved.
So from this I understand current games don't benefit from the feature. Perhaps via a DLC update? I don't quite believe in it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
blu said:
No, if you go to the front of youtube.com from ios safari, you get redirected to the mobile version of the site. If you get an external link to a youtube video, the procedure is slightly different. Youtube does first-hit transcoding of its normally-flash content. At least that's how it was originally. You'd try to follow a youtube link of some natively flash video, you'd be given the finger, but at the same time the transcoding would kick off so later on that same video would be available in an iOS-friendly format.
The way I understood it was that youtube.com takes you to the HTML5, mobile-optimized site that was (re?)launched earlier this year. Youtube links launches the native app. Embedded videos doesn't, and run in the overlay like every other HTML5 video.

blu

Jinfash said:
The way I understood it was that youtube.com takes you to the HTML5, mobile-optimized site that was (re?)launched earlier this year.
Correct, though I have not been keeping track of those things since the kids took over the 'pad, so anything recent is below my radar.

Youtube links launches the native app.
Yes, but that results in a successful playback only when a video has already been transcoded to an ios-friendly format.

Embedded videos doesn't, and run in the overlay like every other HTML5 video.
Dunno there. Perhaps youtube started mpeg-ifying all videos that get embedded, and whenever an ios safari client is encountered the html5 version is served off the bat. I do remember embedding started working only later on in the platform's life.

zigg

ClovingSteam said:
And what has been happening to them in the last 6-9 months?

I am amused at how Nintendo's underperformance this year is somehow the fault of your own personal checklists not being adequately checked instead of the actual problem of failing to deliver software people like.

Somnid

marc^o^ said:
So from this I understand current games don't benefit from the feature. Perhaps via a DLC update? I don't quite believe in it.

Current online games (all 3? of them) won't work. Pretty sure current games can't make use of DLC either, they'll need the hooks for it. So only games from November on.

zigg said:
I am amused at how Nintendo's underperformance this year is somehow the fault of your own personal checklists not being adequately checked instead of the actual problem of failing to deliver software people like.

Umm... deliver software that people actually like...hmmm.... While the PS3/360 are getting heaps of 3rd party software that people LOVE (BF3/Dark Souls/Skyrim/Batman/etc...) the Nintendo Wii is getting how many of those titles? Oh yea... none. Ask yourself why.

blu

Somnid said:
Current online games (all 3? of them) won't work. Pretty sure current games can't make use of DLC either, they'll need the hooks for it. So only games from November on.
What about DOA costumes?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Somnid said:
Not a big deal I know, but SSF4 supporting it would have been nice.

ClovingSteam said:
Umm... deliver software that people actually like...hmmm.... While the PS3/360 are getting heaps of 3rd party software that people LOVE (BF3/Dark Souls/Skyrim/Batman/etc...) the Nintendo Wii is getting how many of those titles? Oh yea... none. Ask yourself why.

nice edit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
blu said:
What about DOA costumes?
Or Samurai Warriors 3 DLC Content - the november will make it possible to charge for DLC and probably make it easier to implement it in games.

StevieP

Banned
ClovingSteam said:

Because none of the engines of those games are portable to the Wii. Nothing to do with online accounts or any of that other stuff. CoD games on Wii have (for the most part, aside from memory-constrained issues like Chopper Gunner) the same exact online as the other console versions. The more current CoD engine was ported by Treyarch to the fixed-pipeline setup of the Wii, including the patching aspect.

wsippel

Banned
Somnid said:
Free DLC via SpotPass was there day one. The first game with paid DLC is expected later this month, when Zen Pinball 3D (supposedly) launches.

Top Bottom