• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

Alrus

Acosta said:
BRING YOUR FUCKING STUPID CONSOLE WARS ELSEWHERE FOR GOD'S SAKE.

In other news:

Really excited to see this!

It's not like there's tons of stuff to discuss about the game right now, we really don't know much about it =/

Anyway, I don't Vita will die or anything, it already has a diverse and seemingly high quality line-up and it will at least guarantee a decent amount of a sales. I just don't think it will explode with what it has right now.

Cipherr

rpmurphy said:

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Anyway, who ever wrote that article a couple posts up seems to have a blood lust to see Nintendo fail. Like... he seems legitimately angry.

Father_Brain said:
It's by Don Reisinger? He's been sounding the Nintendo is DOOMED drumbeat for years, since well before the "smartphones will kill dedicated handhelds" argument took off.

Seems you were both right.

Don Reisinger used to write for CNET, where he consistently criticized Nintendo for the Wii, but I can only assume he got fired.

Good luck keeping this job Don.

Ouch. Guy is getting TORCHED in the comments.

Kunan

Fredrik said:
The truth.

Smartphones is the future of portable gaming.
Will happen the same time as consoles go exclusively DD or later. It may be the future, but the future is not now or even close. Live in the now, let the future happen when it does. I find that the news and podcasts convey a sense that all of this is just on the doorstep, when in fact we have a ways to go still.

In light of the moved posts, here's a quick SE listwarz for upcoming stuff:

Android
-Chaos Rings II
-Chaos Rings Omega
-Chrono Trigger
-Demon's Score
-Diffusion Million Arthur
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Wanted!
-Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy II
-Final Fantasy: Legends
-Itadaki Street Smartphone

iOS
-Chaos Rings II
-Demon's Score

Nintendo 3DS
-Bravely Deficit: Flying Fairy
-Codename: Chocobo Racing 3D
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
-Heroes of Ruin
-Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 3
-Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

PlayStation Vita
-Army Corps of Hell
-Lord of Apocalypse
-Final Fantasy X HD

rpmurphy said:
Brought to you by the writer of other interesting articles, such as...

• Why I’d Feel Fine Playing Mario & Zelda On the Xbox
  • Is Nintendo the Next SEGA?
  • Does Anyone Else Think Nintendo Is In Deep Trouble?
  • Dear Nintendo: Drop the Wii to $100
  • I’ll Be First In Line for the Sony NGP, Not the Nintendo 3DS
  • I’m Bored With Nintendo’s First-Party Games
  • Why my Nintendo Wii has been collecting dust

And many others!

Seriously, I would link to his other columns, but I'd rather not give this guy page views. Aside of the Nintendo criticism, all his columns are about Sony, MS, Nintendo, Apple and Google, and they're all so unbelievably stereotypically fanboy diarrhea, similar to what you'd see from Juniors on this forum right before they get permabanned. There's nothing note worthy or informative about his columns, it's all "company 1 VS company 2, and I chose company 1 because company 2 stinks". His writing style seems so piss poor as well, just reading the article titles makes me chuckle. My favorite two articles of him though are without a doubt "Why I don't have a favorite gaming console", and "It’s Official: Xbox 360 Is the Best Console of This Generation". lol!

Must be awesome to get paid for this.

Kunan

gutterboy44 said:
Until that revised 3DS comes out in a year and half that adds the second analog. Have fun with that.
My iPhone 3GS after 2 years already can't play a decent amount of games without horrendous lag, or is not even supported. Add-On analog/new handheld price vs. new phone price.

jonnybryce said:
Upcoming iOS game Shadowgun:
This is why I give less and less fucks about dedicated portables, and the controls can be pulled off very well it just varies from developer to developer. I dislike the 3DS, I'm not against Vita but I'm underwhelmed by yesterday's details and am not going to early adopt.

notjustangrybirds.gif
It's great not to be held back by the yesterday's details of dedicated handheld graphics, yet it looks like everyone before the 4 is going to remain with just that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Souldriver said:

And many others!

Seriously, I would link to his other columns, but I'd rather not give this guy page views. Aside of the Nintendo criticism, all his columns are about Sony, MS, Nintendo, Apple and Google, and they're all so unbelievably stereotypically fanboy diarrhea, similar to what you'd see from Juniors on this forum right before they get permabanned. There's nothing note worthy or informative about his columns, it's all "company 1 VS company 2, and I chose company 1 because company 2 stinks". His writing style seems so piss poor as well, just reading the article titles makes me chuckle. My favorite two articles of him though are without a doubt "Why I don't have a favorite gaming console", and "It’s Official: Xbox 360 Is the Best Console of This Generation". lol!

:lol :lol well rounded writer

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gutterboy44 said:
Once again, I will probably end up with a 3DS or Vita or both. I just think they are going to fail because the general public will see it as a "why bother' situation since they have their phones and tablets.
A wise man once said software sold hw. As long as console software can't be found on smartphones handhelds are safe.

Kunan said:
My iPhone 3GS after 2 years already can't play a decent amount of games without horrendous lag, or is not even supported. Add-On analog/new handheld price vs. new phone price.

I've argued this a great number of times with folks and they're still like "Nuh-uh, that's not true." The 1G iPod Touch I bought in 2008 can't play a good number of the games that are on the App Store, either due to the hardware not being up to snuff or because I'm limited to the 3.1.3 Firmware, and thus can't play anything that requires iOS 4.

Meanwhile, a DS bought in 2004 can easily play any game I can buy from my local retail store. (Outside of the one or two DSi titles like System Flaw and that Photo RPG game)

Mrbob

Souldriver said:

And many others!

Annihilated.

Isn't the Vita kind of the best of both worlds? You have a dedicated gaming device, that can browse the web, has an app store (right?), and IIRC if you were to download a Skype app it could be used as a phone.

AbsoluteZero said:
I've argued this a great number of times with folks and they're still like "Nuh-uh, that's not true." The 1G iPod Touch I bought in 2008 can't play a good number of the games that are on the App Store, either due to the hardware not being up to snuff or because I'm limited to the 3.1.3 Firmware, and thus can't play anything that requires iOS 4.

This is the one thing that everyone constantly forgets - if you go with a 2-year contract (which most of the time is 30$/EUR per month at least) your $1-per-app smartphone costs at least $500, which is insane. But you can buy it out-of-contract as well! For $500!!!

Most of the time you are also getting shafted on your subscription - they are a fraction of US/EU costs in Asia (we are talking like 5000 minutes for $10).

But in the end people need to have a phone, gaming console is not a neccessity. Add to that Apple's ability to sell absolutely anything = 1 "Is Vita/3DS doomed?" article per week.

Kunan

AbsoluteZero said:

Meanwhile, a DS bought in 2004 can easily play any game I can buy from my local retail store. (Outside of the one or two DSi titles like System Flaw and that Photo RPG game)
Yea. A lot is still playable for me, but obviously that will change. My mom's 3G isn't supported by a lot of games and your 1G is basically on life support. I appreciate exactly what you said, being able to purchase a handheld and know things will work.

Castor Krieg said:
This is the one thing that everyone constantly forgets - if you go with a 2-year contract (which most of the time is 30$/EUR per month at least) your $1-per-app smartphone costs at least $500, which is insane. But you can buy it out-of-contract as well! For $500!!!

Most of the time you are also getting shafted on your subscription - they are a fraction of US/EU costs in Asia (we are talking like 5000 minutes for $10).
People will always want to have a phone, and how nice it is will be up to them. The main issue (at least for me) with gaming on the iOS is how many times you will have to make that large purchase, more than how you had to make that purchase initially.

Kunan said:
Yea. A lot is still playable for me, but obviously that will change. My mom's 3G isn't supported by a lot of games and your 1G is basically on life support. I appreciate exactly what you said, being able to purchase a handheld and know things will work.

The problem - value for money makes for a terrible advertisment. It's the same thing with PC gaming - in the end it is cheaper than console gaming, but you will still find a lot of people arguing you need "$2000 PC" to play games.

Cipherr

Obsessed said:
Isn't the Vita kind of the best of both worlds? You have a dedicated gaming device, that can browse the web, has an app store (right?), and IIRC if you were to download a Skype app it could be used as a phone.

Its certainly a step in the right direction. Thats what rubs me about the whole topic.

Souldriver said:

And many others!

mikewhoa.png

rpmurphy

Obsessed said:
You know, the 3G data plan that was revealed for Japan would be suitable for VoIP, assuming that other data usage isn't designed to eat it up quickly.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Some of you guys really expect first-party 3DS titles to sell like hotcakes in the west (on par with DS) in this day and age of smartphones and tablets? You gotta be a bit more realistic especially considering what's currently available in the market. Not to mention when the DS started gaining traction with titles like Brain Age and Nintendogs, it wasn't being hindered as much by the amount of negativity in the press (3DS am doomed, price cut, 3D is killing our children, frankenstick). I don't doubt that these titles will keep the 3DS from dying a slow death but some people are setting themselves up for disappointment with the overconfidence in this thread.

Kunan

I think the current impact of smart phones and tablets on games in particular is blown out of proportion. They will definitely have an impact on the people who bought a DS and a game or two, as people with a light interest in gaming will be able to get their fix out of their tablet. Other than that, I think the perceived weight of their effect on the handhelds as a whole is being inflated by media hyperbole.

I don't really believe the 3DS and Vita have a chance of selling as well as their predecessors, just that you can't let what will happen, in say 5 or more years from now, affect your purchasing decision today. My iPhone, at 2 years old, is already starting to be outdated. So when this tablet/phone revolution finally happens and there are fields of great games, my buy into it today won't help me in the slightest. I can't just say "Aha! I made the right bet!" I will have to make a purchase of a phone that is supported by those games, as mine will have been phased out. I believe in buying into what is good now, and that's why I think people need to stop giving dedicated handhelds such a hard time.

Did it for Square Enix, so here's the upcoming lists for the other larger JP pubishers:

CAPCOM

Android
-none

iOS
-none

Nintendo 3DS
-Monster Hunter 3 ~tri G
-Monster Hunter 4
-Resident Evil: Revelations

PlayStation Vita
-Street Fighter X Tekken
-Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

KONAMI

Android
-none

iOS
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2012

Nintendo 3DS
-3D Classics: Twinbee (published by Nintendo)
-Beyond the Labyrinth
-Contra
-Deca Sports Extreme
-Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
-Frogger 3D
-Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
-New Love Plus
-Nikoli's Pencil Puzzle
-Penguin no Mondai: The Wars
-Tetris Axis (published by Namco Bandai/Nintendo)
-Yu-Gi-Oh!

PlayStation Vita
-AR Combat DiGiQ
-Asphalt: Injection
-Kojima Productions title
-Mahjong Fight Club
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-New Little King's Story
-Silent Hill: Book of Memories
-Zone of the Enders HD Collection

LEVEL-5

Android
-Professor Layton Royale (published by Mobage)

iOS
-none

Nintendo 3DS
-Fantasy Life
-Girls RPG Cinderelife
-Inazuma Eleven Go! Light/Dark
-Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles
-Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright
-The Time Travelers

PlayStation Vita
-RPG

NAMCO BANDAI

Android
-none

iOS
-Katamari Amore
-Yuugen Gaisha Brave Company

Nintendo 3DS
-Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
-Dragonball
-Pac-Man Party 3D
-SD Gundam G Generation 3D
-Super Robot Taisen
-Tales of the Abyss
-Tekken 3D Prime Edition

PlayStation Vita
-Katamari Damacy no-Vita
-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Ridge Racer
-Super Robot Taisen
-Tales of Innocence R

SEGA

Android
-Sonic CD

iOS
-Sonic CD
-Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II

Nintendo 3DS
-Captain America: Super Soldier
-Crush3d
-Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai
-Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
-Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
-Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Tomb
-Shinobi
-Sonic Generations

PlayStation Vita
-Sega Europe Studio Project
-Super Monkey Ball
-Virtua Tennis 4

TECMO KOEI

Android
-none

iOS
-none

Nintendo 3DS
-Dynasty Warriors VS
-FabStyle
-Ninja Gaiden
-Shinrei Camera (published by Nintendo)

PlayStation Vita
-Dynasty Warriors Next
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma

disco

JimboJones said:
You can get them for £129 on amazon uk, thats actually cheaper than some of DSiXL models.
If you keep them in your basket they dip to £115 for a few hours every so often. I got mine for £115.

BurntPork

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
In light of the moved posts, here's a quick SE listwarz for upcoming stuff:

Android
-Chaos Rings II
-Chaos Rings Omega
-Chrono Trigger
-Demon's Score
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Wanted!
-Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy II
-Itadaki Street Smartphone

iOS
-Chaos Rings II
-Demon's Score

Nintendo 3DS
-Bravely Deficit: Flying Fairy
-Codename: Chocobo Racing 3D
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
-Heroes of Ruin
-Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 3
-Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

PlayStation Vita
-Army Corps of Hell
-Lord of Apocalypse
-Final Fantasy X HD
Are you trying to prove a point here?

rpmurphy

BurntPork said:
Don Reisinger said:
But it’s not just Apple. Game developers are also flocking to portable devices, and will have a close eye on the iPhone 5 when that device launches. Companies like Electronic Arts and other prominent developers are increasingly turning to mobile operating systems, like iOS and Android, to offer their titles. And as hard as it might try, Nintendo won’t be able to stop that.
Just flocking to iOS and Android.

Kosh

lunchwithyuzo said:
Did it for Square Enix, so here's the upcoming lists for the other larger JP pubishers:

CAPCOM

Android
-none

iOS
-none

Nintendo 3DS
-Monster Hunter 3 ~tri G
-Monster Hunter 4
-Resident Evil: Revelations

PlayStation Vita
-Street Fighter X Tekken
-Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

KONAMI

Android
-none

iOS

Nintendo 3DS
-3D Classics: Twinbee (published by Nintendo)
-Beyond the Labyrinth
-Contra
-Deca Sports Extreme
-Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights
-Frogger 3D
-Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
-New Love Plus
-Nikoli's Pencil Puzzle
-Penguin no Mondai: The Wars
-Yu-Gi-Oh!

PlayStation Vita
-AR Combat DiGiQ
-Asphalt: Injection
-Kojima Productions title
-Mahjong Fight Club
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-New Little King's Story
-Silent Hill: Book of Memories
-Zone of the Enders HD Collection

LEVEL-5

Android
-Professor Layton Royale (published by Mobage)

iOS
-none

Nintendo 3DS
-Fantasy Life
-Girls RPG Cinderelife
-Inazuma Eleven Go! Light/Dark
-Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles
-Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright
-The Time Travelers

PlayStation Vita
-RPG

NAMCO BANDAI

Android
-none

iOS
-Katamari Amore

Nintendo 3DS
-Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
-Dragonball
-Pac-Man Party 3D
-SD Gundam G Generation 3D
-Super Robot Taisen
-Tales of the Abyss
-Tekken 3D Prime Edition

PlayStation Vita
-Katamari Damacy no-Vita
-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Ridge Racer
-Super Robot Taisen
-Tales of Innocence R

SEGA

Android
-Sonic CD

iOS
-Sonic CD
-Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II

Nintendo 3DS
-Captain America: Super Soldier
-Crush3d
-Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai
-Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
-Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
-Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Tomb
-Shinobi
-Sonic Generations

PlayStation Vita
-Sega Europe Studio Project
-Super Monkey Ball
-Virtua Tennis 4

TECMO KOEI

Android
-none

iOS
-none

Nintendo 3DS
-Dynasty Warriors VS
-FabStyle
-Ninja Gaiden
-Shinrei Camera (published by Nintendo)

PlayStation Vita
-Dynasty Warriors Next
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Doesn't matter. Gameloft will just clone whatever these guys don't make for iOS.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Isn't it's obvious that the business models of phones/tablets when it comes to gaming is incompatible with the one used with dedicated consoles? One can't exchangeably take the place of the other.

BurntPork said:
I'm just wasting time and adding to the garbage heap.

Here's first party games lineups:

APPLE

iOS
-lol

GOOGLE

Android
-lol

NINTENDO

Nintendo 3DS
-3D Classics: Twinbee
-Animal Crossing
-Calciobit
-Culdcept
-Fantasy Life (published by Level-5)
-Fire Emblem
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-LEGO City Stories
-Luigi's Mansion 2
-Mario Kart 7
-Mario Tennis
-Paper Mario
-Picture Lives!
-Shinrei Camera
-Style Savvy
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Super Smash Bros.
-Tetris Axis
-The Rolling Western
-Tomodachi Collection

SONY

PlayStation Vita
-Broken
-Escape Plan
-Gravity Daze
-Hot Shots Golf 6
-Hustle Kings
-LittleBigPlanet
-Little Deviants
-ModNation Racers
-Mr. InkJet
-Reality Fighters
-Resistance: Burning Skies
-Ruin
-Smart As
-Sound Shapes
-Super Stardust Delta
-Top Darts
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-WipEout 2048

VanWinkle

One interesting thing I've noticed. I work at Wal-Mart and a year and a half ago I saw kids with their ds's all the time. Now I never do; its just smartphones. Really weird.

VanWinkle said:
One interesting thing I've noticed. I work at Wal-Mart and a year and a half ago I saw kids with their ds's all the time. Now I never do; its just smartphones. Really weird.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't amount to much. I worked at an outback steakhouse and saw probably 100 DS systems for every PSP, because I only ever saw one. That doesn't change that there are 70 million of them out there somewhere.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
H_Prestige said:
What OLED portables do you have?
I assume samsung galaxy II? or Droid Charge?

OLED is not just great for looking good.

its viewing angles are amazing (helps when using sixaxis controls, or showing someone else the vita), saves battery life, better response times, and is lighter than lcd.

C_H_T

lunchwithyuzo said:

CAPCOM

Android
-none

iOS
-none

Capcom has made a few iOS games, let's see:

*Street Fighter IV
*Resident Evil Mercenaries VS.
*Dead Rising Mobile
*Devil May Cry 4 refrain

Souldriver said:

And many others!

He's bored with Nintendo's first party games, yet he wouldn't mind seeing them on the Xbox? If he's bored with them, why would he want them on any other system?

Momo

Banned
PigSpeakers said:
He's bored with Nintendo's first party games, yet he wouldn't mind seeing them on the Xbox? If he's bored with them, why would he want them on any other system?
because he's a troll

Cipherr

AgentWhiskers said:
Some of you guys really expect first-party 3DS titles to sell like hotcakes in the west (on par with DS) in this day and age of smartphones and tablets? You gotta be a bit more realistic especially considering what's currently available in the market. Not to mention when the DS started gaining traction with titles like Brain Age and Nintendogs, it wasn't being hindered as much by the amount of negativity in the press (3DS am doomed, price cut, 3D is killing our children, frankenstick). I don't doubt that these titles will keep the 3DS from dying a slow death but some people are setting themselves up for disappointment with the overconfidence in this thread.

You are jumping into a discussion about which has more system sellers and killer apps, the 3DS in the west or the PSV in the west, and commenting on the expected sales numbers for Nintendos titles. Your debating completely out of the context of the conversation that we were commenting on. That, and noone here has made any predictions for the first party 3DS software in the west, they simply said that they will be killer apps, and after all is said and done, those titles will indeed be in the upper eschelon of best selling handheld games on dedicated gaming devices.

None of that is a stretch, the popularity of smartphones wont stop Pokemon from selling alot.

PigSpeakers said:

Thats what happen when you just flat out lose interest in pretending your not bias. Kind of a 'Fuck it, I dont care anymore' type of attitude.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Souldriver said:

And many others!
Oh my god I thought you were exaggerating.

Deku said:
Sony will always have an ulterior motive with their decives, and Nintendo's strength remains its singular focus on games. One area where I think Nintendo has strayed is cost leadership. I think they have nothing to fear if they stick solely to sub $100 portables, and that could very well be where we would see their portables heading in the future.
I don't think there's any future in sub $100 for Nintendo because anyone looking for a system at that price will have no interest in spending $30 for a game. It's only a matter of time when good enough games on cheaper, faster hardware catch up when good enough keeps getting better and better.

As far as Sony's ulterior motives go, Sony's moves look more like getting their foot in the door with their portable systems. They can survive being a minor player apparently and take online/social networking seriously, so I see them being well-positioned (as a minority player) when smart phones/tablets start to dominate in a big, non-casual way.

The_Technomancer said:
I'm a Nintendo fan and even I thought that the 3DS looked lackluster and the Vita was going to give it a serious run for its money.
Then the price cut hit. Then Nintendo revealed more of their software lineup, including Monster Hunter 4. Then Sony revealed that Vita would have a 3-5 hour battery life, that it would use proprietary memory, and crucially didn't really reveal anything exciting yesterday.

Talk about a turnaround.
Pretty much this.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm just wasting time and adding to the garbage heap.

Here's first party games lineups:

APPLE

iOS
-lol
I wish Apple would get some first-party game studios. I remember when I was a kid and Apple's iMacs came with Bugdom and Nanosaur... now Macs just come with Chess.

cooljeanius said:
I wish Apple would get some first-party game studios. I remember when I was a kid and Apple's iMacs came with Bugdom and Nanosaur... now Macs just come with Chess.

That would go directly against their whole business model of the App Store being a hands-off affair where they don't need to devote time or effort to the thing in order to rake in the money.

SmokyDave

Jaded Alyx said:
The key word here being 'upcoming'.
I don't think they tend to announce their upcoming iOS games do they?

I had no idea that SF2 collection was coming last week (this week). They just sort of 'appear' on the store.

Top Bottom