• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

If you are 'mature' you don't give a shit about what other people think of the colour of your 3DS.

I don't care what other people think about what color my handheld is, I just think that the Red and Blue XLs are ugly.

I really wish these colors would be available with the XL

photo_3DSFinalCosmoBlack.jpg

nintendo-dsi-xl.jpg

dsi_xl_yellow.jpg

Fisher Price My First Handheld.

Color it any color you want, it's still a toy. I embrace that aspect of it with my color choices. I also stick my iPad in a Carolina Blue cover. If white were available in the US, I'd probably choose that over Red/Blue and then let my daughter cover it in stickers.

Don't get me wrong, I support region free-ness 100%. But megaton? I'm a hardcore flagwaver, and again, I believe this should be a feature of every system, but "megatons" are generally reserved for news that would matter to more than like... what, 3% of the population that imports games? I'm probably being generous with that number!

I've only ever specifically imported (game-wise) like two titles, and I got two or three titles sent to me by some friends. In my entire gaming career! And I consider myself pretty well hardcore, as hardcore labels go anyway. I'm sure there are people on GAF who have entire libraries filled with import titles, but the actual sliver of the gaming population who would ever utilize the region free feature is probably so tiny that companies like Nintendo don't even think it could appreciably hurt the appeal of their system vs. the perceived benefit they feel they get from controlling what games hit which territories.

being a Nintendo platform there are just so many JP games we will never see so that would be enough for me. but I like your point if it really not that big a deal it seems strange they they are keeping these regions locked up like this since the reason for it seem moot

I have a few JP games for my region free DS Lite I am sure I could find some 3DS japan only titles I would love to have right now on an XL screen

drspeedy

lol indeed, seriously, what is up with people that think like that? is it insecurity? i would understand a color preference but those reasons are just.... or maybe he is just joking...

hahahah.. coz

no one (snicker)

would EVA

(giggles)

want to look like thay
(snort)
WEREN'T a gamer
nerd!

LOLOLOLOOLOLOL - the stupidness! Mom, come read this!

What if I'm not that enthused about the current 3DS games? Will DS games look better than they did on the DSi XL because of this filtering or will they be worse because of shitty upscaling?

Won't playing old games be awkward with the D-pad on the left being lower than the ABXY buttons on the right? Or does the stick work fine?

Most importantly, will the battery life (in practise, not PR estimates) be better or worse than previous consoles with DS games?

I'm not expecting answers at this early stage, I'll be waiting for first hands-on impressions on GAF to make my decision.

Edit: wait, SMT5 is coming out on this? That changes everything.

DS games will look better in 1:1 mode. And if my math is correct, they'll be about the size they are on DSi screens now on the 3DSXL. I'm sure the upscaled image will be more horrible than on the current 3DS. There's no really much you can do about that.

Dpad is an issue on DS games that require tight, precise controls (Tetris etc). The slider is not a replacement for the Dpad when it comes to games like that.

Don't know about battery yet.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
What if I'm not that enthused about the current 3DS games? Will DS games look better than they did on the DSi XL because of this filtering or will they be worse because of shitty upscaling?

Well if you want to play DS games at their best IQ-wise, it would be better to stick with DSi or DSIXL, wouldn't you think?

The resolution on the 3DS is higher than that of the DS but not high enough to the point where games will be scaled up by an even factor so you'll still have image quality that doesn't quite measure.

I thought the whole reason to have the 3D top screen surrounded by black was the help the 3D effect?

how well does this work on the White 3DS XL I wonder

Amir0x

Banned
being a Nintendo platform there are just so many JP games we will never see so that would be enough for me. but I like your point if it really not that big a deal it seems strange they they are keeping these regions locked up like this since the reason for it seem moot

I have a few JP games for my region free DS Lite I am sure I could find some 3DS japan only titles I would love to have right now on an XL screen

Well, I think Nintendo feels that not controlling the region of titles probably makes the system more vulnerable for... things. I don't know! I do know that Nintendo likes control, and not being able to specifically control what region titles release where is probably something they'd prefer to avoid.

The problem with importing for most people is simply the language barrier though. Even if they WANT to import, most never will because it's almost always pointless to import games you won't understand. I know there are games which use far less dialogue than others, but the headache of trying to figure out what means what would just be more investment than many would care to bother for. I guess for the few games that only come out in Europe and not the US, or vice versa, it might be a boon... but again, so few people would ever utilize it that Nintendo probably doesn't give a shit about them. Nintendo never was one to care about what the hardcore wants, in their post-GCN era.

The only game I ever was frothing at the mouth to import was Mother 3 (and the Mother 3 GBA), and I only did that because I knew we were getting that translation patch...

Himself

So, uh, maybe I'll take the dive after all. Does the 3DS play all DS games and is it region free?

I have the Euro version of Infinite Space and wanna know if I can play it on my US 3DS XL.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So, uh, maybe I'll take the dive after all. Does the 3DS play all DS games and is it region free?

I have the Euro version of Infinite Space and wanna know if I can play it on my US 3DS XL.
It's not region free for 3DS games and probably never will be in its natural life but it plays DS games of all regions just fine, as far as I know.

BigDug13

It's too big to be an easy travel hand held but my DS rarely left the house so I'll buy this.

Still easily portable due to clamshell design though. Close it and stick it straight into your pocket. Never liked how I basically had to carry around a separate case/sleeve for my PSP if I took it with me.

BY2K said:
They CAN'T add a second analog on the console itself, it would render the OG 3DS obsolete.

If the add the second analog, devs will feel obligated to use it for every game, and then people will have no choice but to buy the Circle Pad Pro.
Didn't happen with six-button Genesis controller. Didn't happen with Dual Shock. Didn't happen with Wii Remote Plus.

Well, I think Nintendo feels that not controlling the region of titles probably makes the system more vulnerable for... things. I don't know! I do know that Nintendo likes control, and not being able to specifically control what region titles release where is probably something they'd prefer to avoid.

The problem with importing for most people is simply the language barrier though. Even if they WANT to import, most never will because it's almost always pointless to import games you won't understand. I know there are games which use far less dialogue than others, but the headache of trying to figure out what means what would just be more investment than many would care to bother for. I guess for the few games that only come out in Europe and not the US, or vice versa, it might be a boon... but again, so few people would ever utilize it that Nintendo probably doesn't give a shit about them. Nintendo never was one to care about what the hardcore wants, in their post-GCN era.

The only game I ever was frothing at the mouth to import was Mother 3 (and the Mother 3 GBA), and I only did that because I knew we were getting that translation patch...

will we ever have homebrew and translation patches ever again? :(

I still kinda liked the portables travel point of view. Home console region locked is not such a big deal but a portable seems silly. Granted they have huge IPs on these platforms now.

well at least streetpass and miiverse is region free

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm clueless when it comes to networks, but while the DSi could connect to WPA2 networks, when I tried playing Dragon Quest IX on my 3DS, it wouldn't allow me to use my current WPA2 network. Has network compatibility for original DS games been sorted out? If not, I might holding off on the 3DS XL and just pick up a used DSi or XL, because I'd really like to be able to download those DQ9 quests.

I'm clueless when it comes to networks, but while the DSi could connect to WPA2 networks, when I tried playing Dragon Quest IX on my 3DS, it wouldn't allow me to use my current WPA2 network. Has network compatibility for original DS games been sorted out? If not, I might holding off on the 3DS XL and just pick up a used DSi or XL, because I'd really like to be able to download those DQ9 quests.

Unless the game is "DSi-enhanced", you can't use networks with newer encryption methods to play older DS games. Pokemon Conquest for example is a DSi-enhanced game. To play those DS games I had to create a 2nd network on my router that uses the older encryption style.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Unless the game is "DSi-enhanced", you can't use networks with newer encryption methods to play older DS games. Pokemon Conquest for example is a DSi-enhanced game. To play those DS games I had to create a 2nd network on my router that uses the older encryption style.
Oh, okay. I'll look into creating a second network then. Thanks.

VanWinkle

I mean screen quality/resolution wise. Dont they use a S-LCD? How does it stack up to vita's OLED? What is the resolution on this thing? Wasn't it like 800x545 or something like that? Can it play avi or mp4s?

The 3DS/XL top screen resolution is 400x240. The screen size is about the same as the Vita's, but the Vita has over four times the resolution. I don't know exactly what screen tech the 3DS (and probably, by association, 3DSXL) has, but it's fairly low contrast, low saturation with poor viewing angles. Definitely an LCD, but seems to have characteristics of a TFT LCD.

I think it's an IPS screen.

That surely can't be true, right? I have three devices with IPS screens, and the 3DS's screen is far worse than any. IPS screens have great viewing angles (at least horizontally and vertically, albeit not always diagonally), and the 3DS certainly doesn't have that.

Anywho, I'm torn whether to upgrade my 3DS to this model. One one hand, I feel like I don't use the thing nearly enough to warrant the upgrade. On the other hand, this is a great upgrade and seems like something I would use more often because of the vastly larger screen and superior start/select/home buttons.

Oh, okay. I'll look into creating a second network then. Thanks.

Just a heads-up, most new routers have the option to create at least two networks very easily. I presume it's so you can have your own private network and then another network that your computers aren't on in case a guest wants to connect to the Internet. Either way it works great for situations like this.

moozoom

... I'm sure there are people on GAF who have entire libraries filled with import titles,...

When you live in europe and like the weird japanese games that never get released outside japan, or just like RPG's, I assure you the region-lock is a big problem.

In the US, you get many games that the other regions will never have the chance to play, and that decreases the need to import.

On DS alone I've imported about 15-20 games, RPG's, Tactical RPG's, rhythm games...

...but the actual sliver of the gaming population who would ever utilize the region free feature is probably so tiny that companies like Nintendo don't even think it could appreciably hurt the appeal of their system vs. the perceived benefit they feel they get from controlling what games hit which territories.

That's sadly true, still I'd like they'd change their minds on it.

SmZA

DS games will look better in 1:1 mode. And if my math is correct, they'll be about the size they are on DSi screens now on the 3DSXL. I'm sure the upscaled image will be more horrible than on the current 3DS. There's no really much you can do about that.

I'm not too worried about black borders, but do we know if there'll be a setting in the OS or will we have to do some black magic while turning it on? That would get old fast, I always forget that sort of thing.

SMT4 needs to come out first.

Oh thanks, I did question it for a second but then thought they were counting Strange Journey as 4.

Well if you want to play DS games at their best IQ-wise, it would be better to stick with DSi or DSIXL, wouldn't you think?

Seems there's filtering on this one but I'd like to know if it has any effect on DS games.

I just have a Lite, been sort of looking at the XL since it came out but never felt I could justify the upgrade. Now the 3DSXL is looking more promising, but if not the XL will probably get cheaper and I win either way.

Amir0x

Banned
will we ever have homebrew and translation patches ever again? :(

I still kinda liked the portables travel point of view. Home console region locked is not such a big deal but a portable seems silly. Granted they have huge IPs on these platforms now.

well at least streetpass and miiverse is region free

i dunno i don't use streetpass or miiverse, because who am I ever going to pass on the street with this thing? Nobody! And Mii's are gross.

Actually the only real time I passed any people was at NYCC, and that was like a billion people, and I got enough to finish all those lame puzzle piece things in the 3DS.

I definitely would like region free, but I've come to the conclusion that I doubt there will be a game I so much need that it will end up bothering me personally. I haven't seen any yet, anyway. With Wii I got close to importing Xenoblade but didn't want to mod my system because of how often my Wii broke down and I had to send it back to Nintendo, but then they announced it for US territory anyway so it was all good...

...except for the fact I had sold my Wii immediately after Skyward Sword because who can ever expect Nintendo to do something right for fucking once, eh? Then immediately after they announce it... so I'm buying it for Wii U launch

moozoom said:
When you live in europe and like the weird japanese games that never get released outside japan, or just like RPG's, I assure you the region-lock is a big problem.

In the US, you get many games that the other regions will never have the chance to play, and that decreases the need to import.

On DS alone I've imported about 15-20 games, RPG's, Tactical RPG's, rhythm games...

I'm not doubting its usefulness for a certain set of people, but you have to admit you'd have to be of the extremely tiny subset of gamers who would import games like RPGs in languages you never understand (unless you do understand it, in which case you're in an even tinier percentage of the population that can do that). But like I said, I understand the urgency if you're in Europe and want to import games from the US that don't come there, or something like that. Really, I understand the desire for it altogether... I'm just saying, it's so low on the totem pole for a company like Nintendo due to how few people will ever utilize it that I doubt they care that little moozoom is frustrated by it, ya know?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just a heads-up, most new routers have the option to create at least two networks very easily. I presume it's so you can have your own private network and then another network that your computers aren't on in case a guest wants to connect to the Internet. Either way it works great for situations like this.
I'm hoping my router can do the same, because I'm not well-versed in this stuff and wouldn't know how to create a second network otherwise.

That's sadly true, still I'd like they'd change their minds on it.
Off-topic, but I love your avatar.

JCizzle

Are there any size comparison images between a closed 3DS and the XL? The only ones I've seen are comparing the devices with the screen open.

Theonik

That surely can't be true, right? I have three devices with IPS screens, and the 3DS's screen is far worse than any. IPS screens have great viewing angles (at least horizontally and vertically, albeit not always diagonally), and the 3DS certainly doesn't have that.
Don't forget that the screen also has the polar filter on top of it which reduces viewing angles dramatically.

I'm not too worried about black borders, but do we know if there'll be a setting in the OS or will we have to do some black magic while turning it on? That would get old fast, I always forget that sort of thing.

Unless something was drastically changed, you just hold select while starting a DS game and it starts up in 1:1 mode. I would agree that having a setting for it in Settings would be a nice option to have.

LOCK

Unless new colors are announced before it is released, then I will have to get the red day one.

It looks amazing.

@ Amir0x are you getting this thing?

the XL solves some of my vision frustrations so I'll jump in, not sure if at launch but I have to wait to see how DS games look on this too I have a huge back log of games I wanted but never got

Real talk:

no matter how sexy your nintendo handheld looks, you will still look like a kid playing nintendo games ;)

I had that sexy pink translucent gba. I really don't give a fuck anymore.

And who really cares about the backs for these? You won't even see anything but black (or white) when you have it open. Go buy a gelskin if you are that insecure.

fisheyes

As somebody who only ever owned the original DS, I'm going to jump in with this. Super annoying that I won't get a charger, though - is a stupid little charger really going to break Nintendo's bottom line?

Are older games being released as digital downloads, too? I think I want NSMB2 and Mario Kart with my system, and having them built in rather than having to carry carts would be much better.

SmZA

Edit: long whine from an Aussie removed, I'm sure everyone's heard it all by now.

Amir0x

Banned
@ Amir0x are you getting this thing?

the XL solves some of my vision frustrations so I'll jump in, not sure if at launch but I have to wait to see how DS games look on this too I have a huge back log of games I wanted but never got

off topic:

How has your vision been? I remember you said a long time ago you felt like you were losing it, has it stabilized at all?

on topic:

I'm still slightly on the fence about getting the XL. I mean, it has better battery life... that's good. But it's far too big. I don't know when this drive came to make PORTABLE devices decisively un-portable (unless you're carrying a tote bag or fucking MC hammer pants), but it's really a shame. Even VITA is too large for my tastes.

That said, I'm waiting for impressions from people I trust to know the true quality of the system itself and its "improvements", and of course, if I want to spend money on this... because unless I have my 3DS I can't transfer my shit to my 3DS XL, right? I want to trade in my 3DS for a 3DS XL, because to me this isn't worth more than $149.99 on a good day, but with the annoying game shit always being attached to your unit because Nintendo is in the stone age, it makes this prospect decidedly more complicated.

It looks great when opened up, and I guess that's what matters the most, but man is design still ugly. Looks like some toy PDA marketed at kids from the 2000s. I'm on the fence right now, but if Nintendo were to get off their asses and put full VC support on the 3DS e-store I'd bite in a heartbeat.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Seems there's filtering on this one but I'd like to know if it has any effect on DS games.

I just have a Lite, been sort of looking at the XL since it came out but never felt I could justify the upgrade. Now the 3DSXL is looking more promising, but if not the XL will probably get cheaper and I win either way.
Yea, the 3DS currently filters DS games when they're being scaled to fit the screen. Some are more tolerant of it than others, but I don't particularly think it looks good upscaled as the image is slightly blurry. So if you want the best IQ on a big screen size for ordinary DS games, then a DSiXL might proabbly be more ideal for you.

Ken

I don't know when this drive came to make PORTABLE devices decisively un-portable (unless you're carrying a tote bag or fucking MC hammer pants), but it's really a shame. Even VITA is too large for my tastes.

When people started playing portables at home?

Busaiku

I really hope this isn't too big to play Kid Icarus Uprising, but sadly, I'm thinking it might be.
3DS was a good size for it.

Salsa

I don't know when this drive came to make PORTABLE devices decisively un-portable

when people started carrying smartphones as a one do-all device.

my DSi XL is for comfort to play wherever inside my house and the occasional vacation.

Might be a sad evolution of "portables" but it's easy to see where it's coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom