• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 minutes of No Man's Sky gameplay (w/ RAW AUDIO)

It's basically just a rip of the recent b-roll from the press coverage cycle last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXfLzuaRRU

Keep in mind that most of the audio and music is also procedurally generated in the same sense that the environments are, which is what makes it very interesting to listen to for me at least. I suggest putting on some earphones.

Here's a good article talking about the sound design.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/what-a-dragons-mating-scream-sounds-like

Edit: Can we not turn this into one of those threads. If you want to ask about the what you do in the game, at least do it here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193350

The video is just raw b-roll footage meant to show of the sound design, so lets keep the discussion about that please.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Looks like it's really coming together now though I'm curious what the end game might entail once you get closer to the galactic core. Overall looks impressive and I'm getting more and more excited to explore their galaxy.

The more I see it, the more I get a little concerned about gameplay. Is it just wondering and gathering? Are all the animals dinosaur type? Will we see more alien like plants, as in man eaters? Not a dig at the game because I really want this, but everything seems to be redundant.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Forgive my total ignorance on this, but what do the characters look like? Will I be able to find a buddy and they can come explore the galaxy with me? Or is this game just you and the alien creatures and a logbook of where you've been? Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions.

LQX

I hope the run speed is faster and you can see your limbs. Seems very slow and as if you are on rails just looking around.

Sophia

I really want to see footage that actually seems like it's being played like a real player. A lot of the footage for No Man's Sky, including almost all of the video the OP linked, looks like it's being shown off as a demonstration rather than actually being played. :\

I hope the run speed is faster and you can see your limbs. Seems very slow and as if you are on rails just looking around.

You can run, there a jet pack, and you can always get back in your ship. Boarding, taking off and landing is a very fast loop and I would imagine many explorers/scavengers will play like that.

I really want to see footage that actually seems like it's being played like a real player. A lot of the footage for No Man's Sky, including almost all of the video the OP linked, looks like it's being shown off as a demonstration rather than actually being played. :

I agree, it's very strange when they demo this game. Everything seems to be controlled. Take the training wheels off.

Forgive my total ignorance on this, but what do the characters look like? Will I be able to find a buddy and they can come explore the galaxy with me? Or is this game just you and the alien creatures and a logbook of where you've been? Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions.

They've said the first time you meet a real player will be the first time that you see what your character actually looks like. With that said, meeting other players will be extremely rare. There's no way to pull up a screen where you can warp to another player. You have to find them or they have to find you.

Walking seems really slow.

This game needs a deployable motorcycle from the ship in the vane of Oblivion

18kti3z1wns4vjpg.jpg

amnesiac

I just noticed in the cockpit it says "Levi-PC" so this footage must be from the PC version, no?

edit: no, I'm just looking way too hard into this

TheFatMan

Game looks really nice. Better than the last footage we saw months ago I believe. I still get nervous at the complete lack of any sort of game mechanics shown still.

Macattk15

Still unsure what I'm supposed to "do" in this game.

It looks beautiful ... but also incredibly boring if exploring isn't your thing. And even if exploring is your thing ... it still seems like it'd get to the point of unfun.

jediyoshi

Still unsure what I'm supposed to "do" in this game.

It looks beautiful ... but also incredibly boring if exploring isn't your thing. And even if exploring is your thing ... it still seems like it'd get to the point of unfun.

What do you think is the objective goal of Minecraft?

The M.O.B

Game feels like it should have came out a long time ago. The graphics are looking worse and worse by modern standards. It has a nice style but not even that can make up for the flat and barren ground when there is no grass.

Sound design is nothing special, pretty standard stuff.

Sophia

I agree, it's very strange when they demo this game. Everything seems to be controlled. Take the training wheels off.

The part in the video where the player is actually having a space fight against a bigger enemy is legit cool, and actually makes me want the game. I wanna see more in game footage like that. Not someone walking around slowly panning over the landscape. :\

strata8

I really want to see footage that actually seems like it's being played like a real player. A lot of the footage for No Man's Sky, including almost all of the video the OP linked, looks like it's being shown off as a demonstration rather than actually being played. :\
Seriously, this was pissing me off. Doing themselves a massive disservice IMO.

http://i.imgur.com/9LzJXLK.gifv

Who the heck actually plays like that?

Game feels like it should have came out a long time ago. The graphics are looking worse and worse by modern standards. It has a nice style but not even that can make up for the flat and barren ground when there is no grass.

Something tells me you only watched the first 10 seconds

Sound design is nothing special, pretty standard stuff.
Yes, procedurally paced soundtrack and procedural sounds created from digital vocal cords is pretty standard stuff

slapnuts

The worlds in this game seem far too similar in every way which ruins the entire "thing" the developers are going for. It's as if the game is trying to be far too ambitious than what it's capable of producing.

Seems like it'll get stale fast, as much as i hate to say that because i really wanted this game to produce some amazing worlds but im certainly not feeling it, yet. Maybe they are holding back something special for us to see?

Macattk15

What do you think is the objective goal of Minecraft?

I do not believe you can be creative and build whatever you can dream of in NMS. I don't believe there is any crafting (in the sense of building ships / home bases / etc) in NMS whatsoever, so I don't know why or how you'd compare it to Minecraft.

Yes, procedurally paced soundtrack and procedural sounds created from digital vocal cords is pretty standard stuff

Yeah but what does procedural sound do though?
Cause to me it just sounds like a nature simulator.
Like, can I even invite my friends to listen with me?

OmegaDL50

We have a large preview thread with an extensive amount of HANDS ON IMPRESSIONS with the game from folks wrote a fair summary that actually PLAYED the game based on a limited experience.. While it may have been limited amount of time, the information gathered was still concise enough to get a general idea on how the game plays, how you approach it and general idea on what to do.

Yet there is still the "What do you do?" sort of questions...

Seriously I don't remember Minecraft, Terraria, or even Starbound have this level of scrutiny on how the game is approached / played.

Macattk15

We have a large preview thread with an extensive amount of HANDS ON IMPRESSIONS with the game from folks that you actually PLAYED the game. While it may have been limited amount of time, the information gathered was still concise enough to get a general idea on how the game plays, how you approach it and general idea on what to do.

Yet there is still the "What do you do?" sort of questions...

Seriously I don't remember Minecraft, Terraria, or even Starbound have this level of scrutiny on how the game is approached / played.

Well since I don't visit those threads. What do I do?

I guess I just have no interest in this game. Maybe it will change once it comes out and I can see / hear / watch people playing it.

The game is launching in a few months and I still can't figure out what the hell you do in this game. All I ever see about this game is slow walking and "Cinematic" cameras. When the game was first shown at E3 I was excited as hell, but now I can't be anything but skeptical about it.

Something is off with this game, and I doubt we will find out what it is until people have bought the game.

Sophia

It is pretty great. This footage was sent to other preview outlets who usually have commentary or their own stock music over it. So being able to hear the raw sound is a blessing. The sounds of the wildlife that start at 0:31 are incredibly realistic compared to other games. I love it.

It looks beautiful but alas I don't have time for endless walking about games any more. I'm lucky to get an hour straight to game these days.

That sure was 4 minutes of slowly walking/flying forwards instead of anything of substance.

At least they showed about 5 seconds of a space battle.

I wished they showed shooting, trading, etc, but I'm starting to feel like they aren't confident in these supposed core game play features.

I do think it's interesting that if this was a pc exclusive I don't think there would be nearly as many inane or straight stupid comments.

Well since I don't visit those threads. What do I do?

The game is launching in a few months and I still can't figure out what the hell you do in this game. All I ever see about this game is slow walking and "Cinematic" cameras. When the game was first shown at E3 I was excited as hell, but now I can't be anything but skeptical about it.

Something is off with this game, and I doubt we will find out what it is until people have bought the game.

Purpose is to move to get to the center of the Universe. But as for what you do. You can trade, shoot, talk to NPC's, have their faction join you, take place in space battles, explore, collect, name planets you discover, name animals. In conclusion you do a bunch of shit.

I do think it's interesting that if this was a pc exclusive I don't think there would be nearly as many inane or straight stupid comments.

It is ok for people to not like the same things as you, as many inane comments as this thread has is replicated by the number of people moaning about it.

NMS is not going to be a hit with everyone and generalising that thats because 'console players' is a little ludicrous. I have a PS4 and a PC, do you think I will enjoy it more if I play on PC? Will that make me think differently?

jediyoshi

I do not believe you can be creative and build whatever you can dream of in NMS. I don't believe there is any crafting (in the sense of building ships / home bases / etc) in NMS whatsoever, so I don't know why or how you'd compare it to Minecraft.

What are you going on about? Who said I was comparing gameplay? I'm pointing out the idea that the existence of "goals" is an inherent indicator of anything. Did you notice the part where nothing you're pointing out is mutually exclusive with your original comment to NMS? Where do you think that dissonance comes from?

I'm worried that this is going to an amazing looking game whose mechanics and gameplay fall so incredibly short of what people think it's going to be, just a bunch of shallow elements that don't really provide a very compelling drive to continue playing. I really hope I'm wrong but I'm going to remain tepidly excited for this.

OmegaDL50

This information is limited but it based what I can confirm based on admission of previewer folks that put 30 to 40 minutes invested into the game as well as confirmed information circulating from various articles be it IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Everyone starts on a planet roughly the outer edge of the universe that is procedurally generated in this game. The main object is striving to get to the center of the universe. What is at the center of the universe. That is currently unknown.

There is a survival aspect in which you need to collect fuel and resources to upgrade your suit, ship, and weapon.

Most of the planets have guardian sentinels that act like law enforcement / planet protectors. Hunting animals, destroying landscape, and so forth will give you a wanted level and attract their attention and they become increasingly hostile and as this threat level increases. It gets to the point that they will beam in reinforcements and overwhelm you with sheer numbers.

You suit has a thermal protection level. Planets can be extremely hot or extremely cold. Certain resources gathered can be used to upgrade your suit for increased survival in harsher planet environments.

There is standing stones and large monoliths with glyph like writings on them, interacting with these will teach you a small portion of an alien language.

There is multiple alien factions you can build rapport with by trading or communicating with speech checks against the knowledge of the language you learned of that specific race. Failing a speech check gets the alien angry and you can lose reputation with the faction.

There is space stations that act like trade centers, you can buy new ships, upgrade your weapon and so forth.

Give me time to asset my notes and I'll have more information in the next post.

Top Bottom