• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan rumor: Bethesda Game Studios's Starfield reveal inbound plus info

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah this as a concept is so fucking stupid that I can't believe it's real.

I like to humour the concept and interweave Zenimax Media entirely into the canon. Is Skyrim pre or post Wolfenstein: The New Order? Does Dishonored take place in the same timeline as The Evil Within? Or was it fragmented, with DOOM acting as a nexus?

People seem surprised about 2023 as a possible release date for TES VI. But why?

It remains to be seen if their first new IP is this year or next and then another brand new IP will come before TES VI. I highly doubt we're going to have a new BGS game on a yearly basis now. 2023 seems pretty plausible to me.

Good thing we might get our fantasy RPG fix with Kingdom Come, even if it's not the kind of game with dragons and monsters or anything.

"I'm a leaker at Bethesda."
"I hope I don't get fired but I hate secrecy."

Lol, get outta here. This is some "my uncle works at Nintendo" shit.

Ascenion

So then the Amaranth is responsible for Fallout and TES? The fuck? I mean given the foundation of the TES universe I guess it's possible but I feel like some people in Fallout would've figured it out and disappeared.

CloudWolf

This is part of an ongoing planned interconnected universe of every Bethesda franchise. They gave hints of this by implying the Brotherhood of Steel created nirnroot in Fallout 4. They're getting a little wacky with the lore and using "Elder Scrolls time wounds" to justify lore inconsistencies.
giphy.gif

I firmly believe we're working to a stage where incredibly expansive landscapes can be built with incredibly intricate and believable topographical detail, thanks to procedural generation algorithms either during play or developer toolsets. We're not there yet obviously, but it's heading that way, and I see no reason why in theory a future TES or Witcher or Dragon Age or whatever else couldn't be built with said tools, and essentially offer a gigantic, detailed landscape that almost entirely escapes the obvious procedural rendering issues we see in modern attempts, and hand tailored aspects of development focused on the necessary areas.

But I also don't think Bethesda has any interest in this explicitly. Every TES starting with Morrowind and both Fallouts have emphasised themepark like density balanced with scale. It's a major attraction to their games, the adventuring accessibility, and the aforementioned direction with stretch distance between content significantly.
My point. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying I don't see Beth doing it.

RedHill

Banned
The amount of people working at a game studio that would be know preliminary plans 13 years in the future could be counted on one hand. Fake leak.

Dyle

Fallout 4 VR is the biggest red flag imaginable. How the hell could Bethesda retrofit a super old engine that already had trouble running this game 2 years ago on modern consoles to only sell it on a super limited install base?

i'm not saying this isn't true, but i'm just going to wait for their conference and not get my hopes up. it's way too early for a BGS game and i have to imagine the next game they release will be on the same schedule as Fallout 4 considering how huge of a success it was

People seem surprised about 2023 as a possible release date for TES VI. But why?
it just doesn't even look like a real year

It doesn't sound great. Fallout being in the past and Elder Scrolls being set in the future sounds like the worst way they could have dealt with this... it should be the other way around if anything.

I think this rumour is BS, the only new info we got from this is Skyrim VR (we all knew this though) and 5-10 races for Starfield, which in itself isn't an accurate "leak", anybody could have guessed this.

And Elder Scrolls VII in pre-production doesn't make sense, it would be Fallout 5 that would be in pre-production.

I'm calling BS.

g11

The Starfield thing sounds plausible and tracks with hints or suggestions of rumors of Bethesda moving away from the Fallout/TES tick-tock schedule to another franchise mentioned on multiple gaming podcasts. A GoT game from them isn't totally out of the question but I can't bring myself to believe it either, and while I can believe TES6 & 7 are in planning stages, maybe even to the point where they have target release dates, I can't imagine someone that would leak that info would have that info, which in turn calls the whole thing into question.

Also, turning TES into a post post-apocalypse is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard and completely pointless from any kind of business angle I can fathom.

Laplasakos

Well, one week until we see if this is true.If Statfield gets announced, this thread will be crazy. Also, somewhat off topic but how is ESO is doing? Like, are they making money out of it, people play it a lot, it's successful?

cackhyena

"I'm a leaker at Bethesda and I wanted to layout their plans for the future for you guys and give you some pre E3 leaks."

lol okay

None of this seems even slightly believable, because of the interconnectivity. Fallout 4 did not imply the BoS created Nirnroot. They don't even look that similar, they're different colours and have different types of leaves. I've seen that mentioned so many times and it's just stupid everyone uses it as 'evidence' they're connected. It's an easter egg.

The "Experimental plant" is a reference ti Nirnroot, but that's it. It no more implies a connected universe than any of the dozens of other easter eggs in the series suggest with whatever they reference.

Oh, and the Game of Thrones part just makes it seem even more absurd. They aren't going to make another fantasy game to complete with their own. And concepts for a game around 10 years away? Right, sure.

lazygecko

None of this seems even slightly believable, because of the interconnectivity. Fallout 4 did not imply the BoS created Nirnroot. They don't even look that similar, they're different colours and have different types of leaves. I've seen that mentioned so many times and it's just stupid everyone uses it as 'evidence' they're connected. It's an easter egg.

The "Experimental plant" is a reference ti Nirnroot, but that's it. It no more implies a connected universe than any of the dozens of other easter eggs in the series suggest with whatever they reference.

It's probably the cottage industry of youtube videos milking the overanalysis of every little thing in video games which is responsible for how prevalent it is.

Basically Fallout is the beginning of the timeline, Starfield is the middle, and Elder Scrolls is Far Future.

Yep, this is likely false then. As common a trend as it is for "fantasy" worlds to be set in a post sci-fi future (and TES does have space ships) it doesn't tie into TES lore well at all. Essentially, the world of The Elder Scrolls is all the dream of a "god", who was the dream of another "god" in their universe, and so on back in time through multiple dream universes for potentially forever. So the standard fantasy trope of a medieval fantasy world taking part after a galaxy-spanning empire has collapsed just doesn't work well for TES.

Maybe the "leaker" is simplifying this bit, and the games will reveal that the other two universes have their own dreaming gods, and the worlds of Fallout and Starfield are simply the dream universes before TES (meaning Anu, the dream god of TES, is a person from the Starfield universe) but this is all seems highly unlikely and very contrived.

roytheone

Fallout 4 VR is the biggest red flag imaginable. How the hell could Bethesda retrofit a super old engine that already had trouble running this game 2 years ago on modern consoles to only sell it on a super limited install base?

Fallout 4 VR is already announced though..........

I'm pretty sure Starfield is a thing and there's a good chance we'll hear about it at E3 but this "leak" is complete BS

Also:

The Witcher 3 was actually one of the biggest reasons why Fallout 4 had a voiced protagonist.

Wut

ymgve

It remains to be seen if their first new IP is this year or next and then another brand new IP will come before TES VI. I highly doubt we're going to have a new BGS game on a yearly basis now. 2023 seems pretty plausible to me.

Good thing we might get our fantasy RPG fix with Kingdom Come, even if it's not the kind of game with dragons and monsters or anything.

Nobody has an issue with TES VI coming. The issue is that according to the leaker, Bethesda has nailed down a release schedule over ten years into the future.

TES VI is coming, but not even Todd himself knows what year.

I imagine a 'connected universe' would just be a series of winks and nods, sounds quite funny to be honest. Love the sound of Starfield, especially since Mass Effect died.

RPGam3r

What rubbish. From the interconnected universes, to the leaker knowing things only Todd and his closest peers would know, if they even know.

Nobody has an issue with TES VI coming. The issue is that according to the leaker, Bethesda has nailed down a release schedule over ten years into the future.

TES VI is coming, but not even Todd himself knows what year.

Yeah, that does seem farfetched that he would know all that.

One thing is for certain though, Starfield is a thing. We just have to wait and see if we get that at this E3. Some of the info about the game doesn't sound unrealistic to me though.

TES fan fever dream wishful thinking. Come on.

"Todd wants TESVII to be epic huge amazing to scale real life simulator of an entire world also perfect real life destructibility simulation and hardcore RPG mechanics yes that's right RPG is BACK it is not DEAD it was a ruse and the graphics will be life like and every dungeon (there are one million+) will be hand tailored and fully unique and there will be no single face copy pasted and every texture will be rendered dynamically to make it special and the game will remember everything you did and placed somewhere and will be a full real life sim with VR and perfect reality you live in the TES world you can do whatever you want god i just want to marry a khajiit i just want to escape this cruel reality and embody the entirety of TES with my khajiit wife please help me todd please help me

also nintendo are making acid ghost the most violent adult game ever"
Sounds like the leaker is Todd himself

Yeah, that does seem farfetched that he would know all that.

One thing is for certain though, Starfield is a thing. We just have to wait and see if we get that at this E3. Some of the info about the game doesn't sound unrealistic to me though.

I've not seen anything about Starfield before, why are you certain it's actually a thing?

Really looking forward to their new IP and Starfield sounds like it'd be cool if real.

They were asked to do an ASOIAF game a long time ago but turned it down since they already had the Elder Scrolls, but that was before the show made it a lot more popular. Doubt that one is real though.

I've not seen anything about Starfield before, why are you certain it's actually a thing?

Among older leaks, they do hold a trademark for it.

https://gamerant.com/bethesda-starfield-trademark-renewal-193/

Edit: And it's not a generic placeholder name. It's for:

1) "Computer game software for use with computers and video game consoles; downloadable computer game software offered via the Internet and wireless devices; computer game software for use with on-line interactive games"

2) "Clothing, namely, T-shirts, shirts, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, fleece pullovers; headwear, namely, hats; footwear, namely shoes and sneakers"

3) "Computer and video game user instruction manuals; magazines, books, and pamphlets concerning video games; computer and video game strategy guide books and magazines; trading cards, maps, posters, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, art prints"

Please don't tell me that if their Starfield trademark happens to be revealed as a space rpg with hubs and procgen worlds and a vague number of races people are going to believe this shit.

Dmax3901

I like to humour the concept and interweave Zenimax Media entirely into the canon. Is Skyrim pre or post Wolfenstein: The New Order? Does Dishonored take place in the same timeline as The Evil Within? Or was it fragmented, with DOOM acting as a nexus?

I for one can't help but wonder if DOTA and the classic BBC sitcom Black Books share a universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom