• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K is overrated compared to 1440p.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Already drunk at 10:40 AM fuck…😂

It should be 1440@240Hz is better than 4K@120Hz and that would be solid. I know how realistic 240Hz is as my a7SIII camera has a viewfinder with that refresh rate. But would still say 60fps is more than enough for most games, especially offline/SP ones.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Already drunk at 10:40 AM fuck…😂

64022184.jpg

4k120 is the sweet spot.

Esp. a good lcd and 120, where the response time is juuuuust fast enough to have enough motion blur to avoid stutter.

Lg c1 is excellent for this as well.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
1620p is the sweet spot. I am not sure if AMD cards now let you down sample at that resolution. They used to jump from 1440p to 1800p.

Neo_game

I think 4K is a waste of resources for the consoles. Something like texture quality for example or having better LOD is more important IMO. Also as other said for 27 1440P is probably just right for gaming and DLSS obviously helps as well. Though 3090 is not a 1440P card lol. Pretty much all older games and many newer games as well should run like butter in 4K max settings anyways. I have seen videos where people run at 8K and still get some 30 fps.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah I have my PC hooked up to a LG CX and a 1440p/165hz 32 inch monitor. I find myself mostly using the monitor.

Last edited:
I prefer 1440p purely because I can hit way higher frames than at 4K. 60fps on a 165hz monitor doesn’t look all that great to me. To each their own though, it’s just preference and everyone is different.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was on a 4K monitor at 60hz, and upgraded to a 1440p monitor at 165hz. Night and day difference, and I vastly prefer the higher frames.

With DLSS and Fidelity FX 2.0, I really don’t care about 4K native any longer.

Far from overrated if you have the power to achieve maximum or optimal visuals to performance ratio while at 4K. Better resolution with still excellent performance is always a plus. 4K is by no means mandatory though.

Ironbunny

I have a 4k tv with ps5/xsx, but my pc is a 1080p 60hz. I only have an 3060ti so i will use it a long as possible in 1080p. If i would use it for 1440p i would have to change it 2-3years sooner.

Been using 1440p gsync 144 hz from 2014...Where do you get those 2-3 years? :S

Spyxos

Been using 1440p gsync 144 hz from 2014...Where do you get those 2-3 years? :S

Everytime it try 1440p i loose 20-30fps or even more. At some point i am not getting 60fps or even 30fps. And 1440p in Csgo is very differrent to getting 1440p in GodofWar.

Fbh

4K is cool if you have a really high end PC that can run games at 4K, high setting and high framerates.

For almost every other setup like consoles and mid-low end PC's it's a waste of resources.

I'll never understand games like Trek to Yomi where devs decide that having native 4K (or close) on console is more important than a smooth framerate.

twilo99

Bought a 1440p 240hz monitor to go along my almost 4K ultra wide monitor and LG CX OLED. And seriously on a 27´ monitor with a 3090 playing at high framerate is a game changer it look crisp but the main draw is the smoothness of it all 240 fps doom eternal is pure sex!

240FPS @ 1440p at that pixel density is indeed very sexy..

Thing is, until you actually see it with your own eyes, you still think that 30fps @ 4K on a 65inch is the holy grail.

Kuranghi

Positive version of this comment:

Aye pal, its personal preference and no one has the right answer on whats more important

Negative version of this comment:

Fix yer eyes pal.

Face Flirt GIF

MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh said what needs to be said but I'm just here to josh you.

Danjin44 Danjin44 I know you don't care about resolutions and framerates, more art style and the like, I need you to make me forget about these spatial/temporal wars, take me in your arms sweet prince(ss).

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
240FPS @ 1440p at that pixel density is indeed very sexy..

Thing is, until you actually see it with your own eyes, you still think that 30fps @ 4K on a 65inch is the holy grail.
4K 120fps lock is godly too except you got to drop the settings a lot!

Knightime_X

You're finding that 1440p looks crisper than 4K because you're playing on a smaller display. The OLED you've got should be the ultimate. (But it's missing Ultra Wide.) I am already looking forward to 8K!
I've played 1440p on a 75'' monitor and it looks absolutely wonderful.
Esp when the TV supports it.

Glad I'm old with diminishing vision. Playing Crysis 2 Remastered with the new BlackFire mod. 1080p max setting and getting a cock locked 60fps on an old i5 and 1070Ti. One of the best looking FPS experiences I've had too.

65' TV in the living room at about 10' away. I did not cheap out on the 3.1 set-up. Great experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom