• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K update for Halo 5 with the release of Xbox One X & (some) Halo games going BC

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is every single Halo related thread going to derail to a fix da MCC shit thing? The 4K update for H5 literally has nothing, and let me repeat and be kind of clear: nothing to do with MCC.
Much more on topic questions would be things like:

-> Is going to be native 4K or itll use any technique like CB?
-> Is the 30fps render of far on screen enemies going to be improved?
-> Will a 4k textures patch going to be released?
-> etc.

MCC? Nothing to do. Really annoying to come to a Halo thread and find this shit all and all over again.

Well if you bothered to read it, you'd see that the Waypoint post isn't just about Halo 5, and also talks about BC for all the other Halo games. Which suggests an abandonment of MCC in favour of support of the individual BC titles, or at the very least a dilution of the player base.

So no, it doesn't have nothing to do with MCC.

Head.spawn

Well if you bothered to read it, you'd see that the Waypoint post isn't just about Halo 5, and also talks about BC for all the other Halo games. Which suggests an abandonment of MCC in favour of support of the individual BC titles, or at the very least a dilution of the player base.

Stinkles said there is no direct correlation.

Synth

It does have nothing to do with MCC collection though. Just as a H5 update has nothing to do with MCC, neither does the BC 360 games. Regardless of MCC's status (quite likely abandoned) this announcement suggests nothing more about it, than any other day without news does. The 360 Halo games were always to be made BC at some point anyway, as MS has explicitly mentioned that they're committed to bringing over all first party titles, barring something like licensing preventing it. The existence of a (even fully working) remaster or equivalent XB1 version of the game doesn't have any bearing on 360 BC games... just as it didn't for:

- The games in the Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection
- The games in the Bioshock Collection
- The games in the Borderlands Collection
- Call of Duty Ghosts
- Castle Crashers
- CastleStorm
- Gears of War
- Halo Spartan Assault
- Halo Wars
- Limbo
- Rayman Origins
- Saints Row 4
- Shadow Complex

So, while the MCC situation does still suck. It's a completely separate situation.

nekkid

If you're going to be technical about it, then sure.

But how can anybody get annoyed at people in this thread who see that BC announcement as yet another kick in the balls to MCC owners?

Synth

If you're going to be technical about it, then sure.

But how can anybody get annoyed at people in this thread who see that BC announcement as yet another kick in the balls to MCC owners?

Honestly? Because it's a separate issue (not that I'm annoyed at anyone here, just explaining).

Whilst it's easy to get annoyed at the MCC every time the name Halo pops up in any capacity, simply because the name being invoked reminds you of MCC, that doesn't make every Halo topic an appropriate place to drive the discussion in that direction yet again (and it really has been happening in every Halo thread, not just this one due to BC).

nekkid

Honestly? Because it's a separate issue (not that I'm annoyed at anyone here, just explaining).

Whilst it's easy to get annoyed at the MCC every time the name Halo pops up in any capacity, simply because the name being invoked reminds you of MCC, that doesn't make every Halo topic an appropriate place to drive the discussion in that direction yet again (and it really has been happening in every Halo thread, not just this one due to BC).

Well I don't jump on it in every Halo thread. I love Halo. I even believe some of the stuff 343i have done are some of the best of the series, including H4 campaign and H5 MP, and have probably defended them unnecessarily in the past.

But that BC announcement with not even lip service to improving MCC really hurts.

Trup1aya

Some people have MCC, some people will get Halo BC of the same game. Some people will not know the difference. I can already see my casual friends who were Halo fans but not hardcore gamers being confused on which to get or what is the difference, or whether it is the same, if MCC is just these BC titles. Some people think Halo MCC is the newest version, some think its the same as BC, some will just not know.

So it is confusing. Which to get if you just got a Xbox One? Do you get the collection or BC? And it is splitting the player base for the same game. That is itself confusing on which to play.

I'm not sure I follow you.

The BC titles require ownership of 4 individual 360 games.

MCC is an xb1 game consisting of 4 1080p60fps ports of old halo games. Who will not know the difference?

People are making a conscious decision to buy 360 games individually or buy a single xb1 title.

Ein Bear

I just saw this on the xbox subreddit.

Tashi, from 343i, working on a side project probably involving H2 MM and Halo CE....he also mentions that he is not working on bringing them to the backwards compat program or reviving the online servers.

https://twitter.com/Tashi343i/status/883192955166642176

It might just be wishful thinking, but I swear there must have been something to that MCC survey they sent around a few months back.

I'm still half expecting a 4K patch for the One X along with a big fix.

wwm0nkey

It might just be wishful thinking, but I swear there must have been something to that MCC survey they sent around a few months back.

I'm still half expecting a 4K patch for the One X along with a big fix.

I'm not, but I do want to know what Tashi is working on

I just saw this on the xbox subreddit.

Tashi, from 343i, working on a side project probably involving H2 MM and Halo CE....he also mentions that he is not working on bringing them to the backwards compat program or reviving the online servers.

https://twitter.com/Tashi343i/status/883192955166642176

rzxgl_s-200x150.gif

it's nice to dream

I'm guessing that the Scorpio will either come bundled with Halo 5 or with a free month of Xbox Game Pass, doubt there will be much new content coming.

Xbox One X is already confirmed to come with a one-month trial of Xbox Game Pass. It's on Microsoft's store page.

jem0208

No forge, no splitscreen-coop, no theatre, no funmodes, no filesharing, 9 maps (not including Forge maps and double counted remix maps) and 6 game modes is not what you can call a TON of content for a Halo game..

Especially having a playlist like that was just out of mind:
  • Slayer
  • CTF
  • Strongholds
  • Breakout.
  • Warzone
  • Warzone Assault
It's not about not having BTB. But where were all the other modes people loved?

Compare that to the Halo Reach playlists at launch:
  • Slayer
  • CTF
  • Oddball
  • Assault
  • KotH
  • Race
  • Infection
  • Grifball
  • Juggernaut
  • stockpile
  • Invasion
  • Territories
  • Headhunter
  • FireFight

Except remix maps are completely different so saying "double counted" is a load of rubbish.

Kibbles

"join us at RTX Austin 2017 for an exclusive hands-on preview with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST running on Xbox One!"

I don't get it, are they supposed to be different somehow?

borges

Banned

Yeah, the post has nothing to do with MCC. Explicitly it talks about Halo 5 4k update, and remaining older 360 titles becoming BC (which are ported by Microsoft devs itself, not 343).
Yeah, in the future H6 will be announced, and that, also, will have nothing to do with MCC as well.

Are these just textures or are there higher complexity environments and more polygon in-game models too?

I always kinda knocked X1X as $500 for N64 RAM pak high res mode, but if the games are going to be downloading more polygonally complex models or environments and filling the game with them, that'd be cool.

93xfan

Banned
Is every single Halo related thread going to derail to a fix da MCC shit thing? The 4K update for H5 literally has nothing, and let me repeat and be kind of clear: nothing to do with MCC.
Much more on topic questions would be things like:

-> Is going to be native 4K or itll use any technique like CB?
-> Is the 30fps render of far on screen enemies going to be improved?
-> Will a 4k textures patch going to be released?
-> etc.

MCC? Nothing to do. Really annoying to come to a Halo thread and find this shit all and all over again.

MCC will be a stain on Halo until it is fixed. We've been robbed and lied to, and were hoping to see this rectified for Halo 3's tenth year anniversary.

I'm glad to find Frankie teasing that MCC may not be dead though. I'd like nothing more than to not have Halo threads derailed, but that is dependent on Microsoft doing the right thing.

MCC will be a stain on Halo until it is fixed. We've been robbed and lied to, and were hoping to see this rectified for Halo 3's tenth year anniversary.

I'm glad to find Frankie teasing that MCC may not be dead though. I'd like nothing more than to not have Halo threads derailed, but that is dependent on Microsoft doing the right thing.

Yeah but at one point, you have to fucking give up. Theyve had years to do this and work on it and theyve done nothing about it. Theyre not gonna suddenly start working on it 3 years later.

Its dead and its also given them a permanent black eye.

Yeah but at one point, you have to fucking give up. Theyve had years to do this and work on it and theyve done nothing about it. Theyre not gonna suddenly start working on it 3 years later.

Its dead.

I mean at some point 343 should just give up on Halo right? I mean if they can't be bothered to fix an existing product then what does that say about their 'passion' and 'love' for the franchise?

But you're right, it's probably best to give up on Halo in general, like I've done. 343's vision for the franchise isn t going to change.

I mean at some point 343 should just give up on Halo right? I mean if they can't be bothered to fix an existing product then what does that say about their 'passion' and 'love' for the franchise?

But you're right, it's probably best to give up on Halo in general, like I've done. 343's vision for the franchise isn t going to change.

They put themseleves in this position. They launched a game, it was complicated to fix and they gave up on fixing it cause it was too much work for the investment they'd get back from it.

This will now follow them forever and will always be a possibility with future games because "theyve done it before".

They had time to fix it. Lots of time, and they just stopped. You say give up on halo? I actually know people (halo fans) who havent touched halo since MCC. Not even 5. Thats what 343 have done and theyre the ones who will have to live with it.

Personally, ive given up on MCC multiplayer. I play the SPs and thats it.

They put themseleves in this position. They launched a game, it was complicated to fix and they gave up on fixing it cause it was too much work for the investment they'd get back from it.

This will now follow them forever and will always be a possibility with future games because "theyve done it before".

They had time to fix it. Lots of time, and they just stopped. You say give up on halo? I actually know people (halo fans) who havent touched halo since MCC. Not even 5. Thats what 343 have done and theyre the ones who will have to live with it.

Personally, ive given up on MCC multiplayer. I play the SPs and thats it.

I'm with you on this. I actually thought 4 was a decent epilogue SP wise. I was willing to give them a chance with Halo 5, but man did they blow it.

Giving up on Halo is not 343's call. That's Microsoft's call. And until another dev comes in under the Microsoft family to pass the franchise along they'll be the ones responsible for it. The only real change you want from 343 is leadership change.

Giving up on Halo is not 343's call. That's Microsoft's call. And until another dev comes in under the Microsoft family to pass the franchise along they'll be the ones responsible for it. The only real change you want from 343 is leadership change.

Im just gonna say this last thing, dont wanna keep derailing. This inaction with MCC has made me lose so much respect for 343. And it hurts me cause this is my favorite franchise. Or it used to be. But now its quickly falling second to Battlefield.

When BF4 came out in 2013, it was a broken mess. A hot mess. And Dice updated it, and updated it and updated it to the point where it even got an update last year in 2016. Game came out in 2013.

They added a new menu to BF4 so that it, with BF1 and hardline would work a la MCC. One menu system for all games. You start a party in BF1, you can go to BF4 without ever losing your party. They fucking added this 3 years later... You know what that did for me? I gained so much respect for Dice cause it showed me that these guys will keep updating and fixing their games no matter what happens. Cause of that, Ill now give them my money any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Respecting their franchise and their fanbase is far more important that they know. 343 or MS, whoever decided to give up on MCC, did much more harm than good in MCCs situation and i dont think it will ever be redeemed. I cant respect a dev that just gives up on such an important game. Halos Legacy in one package, a broken mess. Just wow.

Goalus

Why are you in almost all Xbox threads downplaying in some fashion?

Because his console of choice is slowly becoming the ugly duck, and this is his way of dealing with this prospect. It would be interesting to know if he can still sleep at night.

Because his console of choice is slowly becoming the ugly duck, and this is his way of dealing with this prospect. It would be interesting to know if he can still sleep at night.

LOl good one..got to remember this one real clever. I mean if ugly duck is having the incredible library it does then bring it.

Holy crap you guys are melodramatic as heck. The whole world knows that MCC was a let down. We get it. Don't let it consume you though.

Either way I'm excited for this update. Hope this means that work is going well with Halo 6.

EDIT: Come on onemanasylum stop picking fights and leave them to their thing. Let's not bring the console wars to every thread.

Keinning

At this point i'm convinced that even if they fix MCC with all the additions people wanted, many will still bitch about how it took so long and how it is pointless now

Holy crap you guys are melodramatic as heck. The whole world knows that MCC was a let down. We get it. Don't let it consume you though.

Either way I'm excited for this update. Hope this means that work is going well with Halo 6.

Im also excited for this update. But the passed just reminds me that it can always happen again.

At this point i'm convinced that even if they fix MCC with all the additions people wanted, many will still bitch about how it took so long and how it is pointless now

Considering i play the old games once a year minimum, that effort would not go in vain.

i guess im one of the lucky ones that never had an issue with MCC. just got bored of playing h2a slayer and h4 btb.

h5 mp is much more rewarding to me somehow.

Colbert

Banned
i guess im one of the lucky ones that never had an issue with MCC. just got bored of playing h2a slayer and h4 btb.

h5 mp is much more rewarding to me somehow.

No, me too, never had any issues too. But I also only played the SP or Coop campaigns.

Top Bottom