• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 months after release, Horizon Forbidden West returns to #1 in the UK's Boxed Sales chart

reksveks

Seems like Sony is doing a good job with stock during these summer months!

Relative to Q1 2022 yep, relatively to Q2 2021 is a bit of unknown. Thursday evening/friday morning will be more enlightening.

Using normal calendar periods.

H1 2021 globally was 5.6m PS5 units, will be interesting to see what they have been able to ship H1 2022.

Last edited:
Relative to Q1 2022 yep, relatively to Q2 2021 is a bit of unknown. Thursday evening/friday morning will be more enlightening.

Using normal calendar periods.

H1 2021 globally was 5.6m PS5 units, will be interesting to see what they have been able to ship H1 2022.
I'm sure Q2 will have a bigger shipment for PS5 than last year. If not there's no possibility for this console to sell more this year.

reksveks

I'm sure Q2 will have a bigger shipment for PS5 than last year. If not there's no possibility for this console to sell more this year.
It should do but I am not expecting it to be much more honestly.

2.3m was Q2 2021 units.
2.0m was Q1 2022.

There might have been a serious shift away from the UK however we know that ps5 is down 44% h1 in the UK so expecting Q2 to be similar YoY or just up slightly.

Last edited:
It should do but I am not expecting it to be much more honestly.

2.3m was Q2 2021 units.
2.0m was Q1 2022.

There might have been a serious shift away from the UK however we know that ps5 is down 44% h1 in the UK so expecting Q2 to be similar YoY or just up slightly.
Oh I'm sorry, you're talking fiscal quarters and I meant the 2nd semester this year, so from July to December. When I said Q2 I made a mistake.

Lognor

Banned
Dude states sales have increased... states this is due to console bundling...

So people who said last time that console bundling had no effect on horizon sales, what's your take? You where quite adamant last time it had nothing to do with it.
Wait, this actually happened? I recall people being okay with bundling even those the ps5 is severely supplied constrained (I think bundles are a shit move by Sony btw), but I don't recall anyone saying bundling wasn't helping hzd2 sales. How could one argue that???? Of course bundles materially helped hzd2 sales!!

Mr Moose

The bundle comes with a digital code....how does it affect in the physical charts?
It's stupid IMO, but it counts as a physical game.
Wait, this actually happened? I recall people being okay with bundling even those the ps5 is severely supplied constrained (I think bundles are a shit move by Sony btw), but I don't recall anyone saying bundling wasn't helping hzd2 sales. How could one argue that???? Of course bundles materially helped hzd2 sales!!
I think it's because other bundles get ignored (Switch/Xbox/other PS5 bundles) while only Horizon bundles get mentioned.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Highlights include

Mods needsclean this shit. This users get away with garbage.

"Horizon is not selling well"

People: there is no ps5 in stock

Clown: " they literally point a gun on your head to buy horizon"

But yes plenty of people unable to accept that bundles have a positive aspect on sales... and also that I own GT7 but don't like it's monetisation, like alot. But yes bundles.

It's not like Horizon hasent been stupidly successful, but its long legs is mainly up to bundles... its not like Assassin's Creed Valhalla wasent stupidly popular either, and Forbidden West is largely just a prettier version of that with less intresting characters. So it's going to do well, but at the same time if all you can buy is a console with it included most of the time, its going to bump the numbers.

Last edited:

reksveks

Oh I'm sorry, you're talking fiscal quarters and I meant the 2nd semester this year, so from July to December. When I said Q2 I made a mistake.
Talking calendar periods

Global
Q1 2021 - 3.3m
Q2 2021 - 2.3m
Q1 2022 - 2.0m
Q2 2022 - unknown

From the UK, we know that Q1+Q2 is down 44%. There has to have been a shift away from the UK because the same market split in terms of Sony PS5 shipments doesn't make sense imo but how big is an unknown. I should try and get the UK% to a possible range of numbers but ehh.

I will say 2.5m will be the number that we see on Friday

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why is this news?

Because Horizon hasn’t done well to this point?

Or because sales fans dislike bundles?
Because Sony hasnt announced sales for this game 6 months after launch while they were quick to point out Horizon 1's sales after just a few weeks when they revealed it had sold 2.7 million in a month.

Bundles are good when the game is bundled in for free with the PS5. This game is being packaged separately so that Sony can count this is as a sale and the price of the PS5 is being artificially inflated to $550 instead of $500. People who dont want to buy the game are now stuck with a copy of a game they paid $50 for.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People who dont want to buy the game are now stuck with a copy of a game they paid $50 for.

Really activates the neurons.

jXpEfkX.png

Because Sony hasnt announced sales for this game 6 months after launch while they were quick to point out Horizon 1's sales after just a few weeks when they revealed it had sold 2.7 million in a month.

Bundles are good when the game is bundled in for free with the PS5. This game is being packaged separately so that Sony can count this is as a sale and the price of the PS5 is being artificially inflated to $550 instead of $500. People who dont want to buy the game are now stuck with a copy of a game they paid $50 for.
Sony doesn't announce sales for any game at any point now. It's been like that since Jim Ryan is CEO. You'll know about this games sales if the DLC is real, once its announced.

They only release numbers if there's anything new to talk about any IP. They also never announced that Tlou2 surpassed 10M. We only found out randomly on twitter by Neil, mo the after it happened.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The bundle comes with a digital code....how does it affect in the physical charts?
Because retail drove the sale. Retail got a cut of the sale too.

Sales data is really meant for companies like retailers, it's not for consumers. Retailers pay good money for more extensive sales data, that's how NPD exists. They want to compare what is selling region-wide compared to their own stores, and they can adjust shelf space/counter space/in-store marketing, etc.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Sony doesn't announce sales for any game at any point now. It's been like that since Jim Ryan is CEO. You'll know about this games sales if the DLC is real, once its announced.

They only release numbers if there's anything new to talk about any IP. They also never announced that Tlou2 surpassed 10M. We only found out randomly on twitter by Neil, mo the after it happened.
Nope. Sony has announced numbers for Demon Souls 1.2 million in 10 months, Ratchet 1.0 million in 1 month, Returnal 500k in 3 months, and TLOU2's numbers were revealed in an official blog post.

Lognor

Banned
It's stupid IMO, but it counts as a physical game.

I think it's because other bundles get ignored (Switch/Xbox/other PS5 bundles) while only Horizon bundles get mentioned.
What other PS5 bundles? When you say Xbox bundles, are you talking about Xbox Series X or Xbox One? I can't recall any Xbox Series bundles.

With Switch there weren't any bundles when the console was impossible to find. We started seeing bundles when the Switch was readily available. This is different with the PS5. They are hard to find and Sony has the gall to bundle this game AND charge for it. If it was included in the cost of the console that would be one thing. I don't recall any other PS5 bundles, but they should get shit for that too.. And if Microsoft did bundle a game with the Series Xconsole they should get shit. Series S is a different story since it is easy to find, but I don't recall any bundles there either.

We used to give shit to Gamestop and others all the time when they had these forced bundles with new consoles. Why should Sony get a pass here? Why should Nintendo or Microsoft if they were doing the same thing (which I don't think they were; please correct me if I'm wrong).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
At least its getting super cheap on places like ebay. Might be worth the investment for me soon to see just ti see the graphics.

Might get it for 20 squid soon.

Fredrik

The game is great, deserves the spotlight, it’s currently on my top 3 for the year.

But fabricating physical sales numbers from a pack-in digital game… Is this normal? Means that Astro’s Playroom is going to be one of the most sold games of all time. Already at 20 million copies!
Great Success Win GIF

IntentionalPun

The game is great, deserves the spotlight, it’s currently on my top 3 for the year.

But fabricating physical sales numbers from a pack-in digital game… Is this normal? Means that Astro’s Playroom is going to be one of the most sold games of all time. Already at 20 million copies!
Great Success Win GIF

These bundles cost extra money.. people are in effect paying for the game.

Yes it's normal.. but.. it's a sale, of a game, at a retailer lol It just happens that the way Sony creates this bundle is to include a digital code.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yes it's normal.. but.. it's a sale, of a game, at a retailer lol It just happens that the way Sony creates this bundle is to include a digital code.

Not sure why some people don't want to listen to a poster like IntentionalPun IntentionalPun but he doesn't have a Sony bias. His reasoning makes perfect sense. But let's see how many more people ignore him from this point on (after he's now pointed it out twice in this very thread).

Why is this news?

Because Horizon hasn’t done well to this point?

Or because sales fans dislike bundles?
Cause ppl seem to really dislike Horizon... apparently, Horizon bundle sales should be separate from it's regular sales but this rule ONLY applies to Horizon or something

Personally, idk why this is news or why anyone cares about bundles or whatever... no one really cared before. All part of the long running Console Wars.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

There's this false narrative going around that just because Sony hasn't announced sales figures, that means it's it was an unsuccessful title.

Sony was more than happy to announce that Uncharted 4 sold 8.7 million copies even though it was in large part due to bundles - a bundle that was sold at MSRP.

Sales announcements are just mostly for PR at this point.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What other PS5 bundles? When you say Xbox bundles, are you talking about Xbox Series X or Xbox One? I can't recall any Xbox Series bundles.

With Switch there weren't any bundles when the console was impossible to find. We started seeing bundles when the Switch was readily available. This is different with the PS5. They are hard to find and Sony has the gall to bundle this game AND charge for it. If it was included in the cost of the console that would be one thing. I don't recall any other PS5 bundles, but they should get shit for that too.. And if Microsoft did bundle a game with the Series Xconsole they should get shit. Series S is a different story since it is easy to find, but I don't recall any bundles there either.

We used to give shit to Gamestop and others all the time when they had these forced bundles with new consoles. Why should Sony get a pass here? Why should Nintendo or Microsoft if they were doing the same thing (which I don't think they were; please correct me if I'm wrong).

Microsoft released a Halo Infinite bundle when Xbox Series X consoles were limited.

People stopped giving Gamestop and other retailers shit for bundles because scalpers are less likely to buy them. And why should people give "Sony" a pass for Gamestop bundles?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Also, you're less likely to see Microsoft push "forced bundles" because all of their games are on GamePass. What they do is give out GamePass subscriptions, so the value of the actual bundles has less value.

IntentionalPun

Not sure why some people don't want to listen to a poster like IntentionalPun IntentionalPun but he doesn't have a Sony bias. His reasoning makes perfect sense. But let's see how many more people ignore him from this point on (after he's now pointed it out twice in this very thread).
People just care way too much about sales numbers really.

Getting bent out of shape because a game's "sales" benefit form bundling just seems so bizarre. Would the game sell less without them? I mean yeah probably.. who gives a shit? lol

Tams

> he actually thinks that you get a recent game for 'free' in bundles

Kendall Jenner Lol GIF by DAVE

SlimySnake

> he actually thinks that you get a recent game for 'free' in bundles
How about at launch?

We are excited to announce that a Limited Edition God of War PlayStation 4 Pro bundle will launch alongside the game on April 20, 2018. This special bundle features a fully customized PS4 Pro console inspired by Kratos’ Axe, a Leviathan Gray DualShock 4 wireless controller with insignia, a physical copy of God of War and digital content. This limited edition bundle will be available across the U.S. and Canada for $399.99 USD (MSRP) / $499.99 CAD (MSRP). Pre-orders start today.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also had a $399 bundle at launch.

Next time do your research or you will end up looking like a moron.

Fredrik

Sure but when people can’t buy the console at all and a bundle pops up, do people deliberately buy the game or do they buy the console that finally arrives and happens to have a pack-in game?

I mean I bought my PS5 with an extra controller which is still in the box. Only way to get the console. I guess the scalper bots weren’t tuned in to check for bundles yet, without bundles they were up for seconds. This is not in the UK though, maybe people can walk into a store and choose if they want with or without a bundle there idk

Top Bottom