• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 year old girl builds a gaming PC

that was literally the dumbest thing i've ever watched.

it's not the actual sliding in of the hard drive and tightening screws that is complicated , but EVERYTHING else, such as knowing what parts to get, what is compatible, troubleshooting, etc., is really what deters people...

Literally the dumbest thing you've ever watched, literally.

Duxxy3

Awwww - almost make me want to have a kid someday.

But you have to keep them... right? Cuz that's a dealbreaker.

Adorable though.

Piggus

Building a PC is like like putting together legos. It's incredibly easy and it makes me laugh when people complain about it being too complicated for them as some kind of stupid excuse to only game on consoles. It literally takes half an hour to learn how to build a PC.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT CURRENT CPU CORRESPONDS WHAT CURRENT MOTHERBOARD BY MATCHING UP TWO EQUAL NUMBERS??!! Nooooo too hard for me!!!!

Give me a break. Anyone and their fucking dog can build a PC if they actually put in they effort.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
That's actually cute.

Now excuse me while I go find a five year old to build a computer for me. jk

But seriously, I've always thought it was interesting that you could build your own computer. I just personally never thought about doing it because I just use my computer to work and one from the store is really just good enough for that.

MaddenNFL64

Damn kids... They're gonna be experts in multiple programming languages, linux, and routing protocols before middle school. Oh woe is me...

maybe people just wanna play games and don't give a crap about PC settings?

PC fans just will never learn I guess :(

Nothing on the video had anything to do with you playing on your console. It was specifically talking about the ease of building vs buying a prebuilt PC.

You don't want to worry about PC settings, keep playing on your console, don't build a PC.

Piggus

Yeah, because it's so difficult to go into a basic options menu and change 5 to 10 settings to achieve the performance/visuals you want. For most PC gamers that means setting everything to max and calling it a day.

I love console gaming and I love PC gaming. Console gaming isn't better just because you saved 1 minute not changing some menu settings.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I can confirm this is real. I'm essentially a 5-year-old girl and I built a PC without running into a single issue.

It's like Legos.

Piggus

I can confirm this is real. I'm essentially a 5-year-old girl and I built a PC without running into a single issue.

It's like Legos.

Running into problems is part of the PC building process. Solving those issues involves incredibly basic problem solving skills.

Its not that I can't build a gaming PC , I just don't want to.

It takes literally an hour to build a gaming PC and have it running games better than your console ever will.

I've been building PC's for 15 years, but that guy talking about F2A88XD3HFM2+A107850KKAVARIAPUA107850K760860R7250DUALGRAPHICS.......Was so ....
3EDDbJW.gif

yeah well if my dad hadn't left our family before I was a year old he could have helped me learn how to build a pc when I was 5 too
*cries*

MaddenNFL64

It's like Legos.

You used to be able to put things in the wrong slot. It's basically idiot proof now. Still, props to the youngin', most adults don't have a clue around a motherboard.

Piggus

It's like Legos.

You used to be able to put things in the wrong slot. It's basically idiot proof now. Still, props to the youngin', most adults don't have a clue around a motherboard.

It's more like "IF I TOUCH SOMETHING IT WILL EXPLODE. I"M TOO LAZY TO LOOK AT A GUIDE SO I NEED HALP"

Building a PC is super easy these days and this video is a great example of that. It sucks there are so many people out there that are too intimidated by the process so they either pay a high markup for prebuilts or avoid PC gaming all together. The worry over part compatibility etc is easily solved by using a build guide for your budget that has already selected the parts and tested them together, that many PC sites put together on the regular.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Running into problems is part of the PC building process. Solving those issues involves incredibly basic problem solving skills.
I missed out on that part of the process, then. I followed a guide very carefully, and when I finally got to boot it up everything was perfect. Since then, my only issues have been with individual games. Almost every single one has been fixable. The only thing that stands out as being completely broken for me is Bioshock Infinite, and that was only with the second DLC update.

Yeah, I was surprised by how simple it was. I built mine in 2012 with the help of the thread here and a Youtube video. I expected it to be difficult. Totally wasn't. Upgrading has been very simple as well.

It's more like "IF I TOUCH SOMETHING IT WILL EXPLODE. I"M TOO LAZY TO LOOK AT A GUIDE SO I NEED HALP"

Yeah, my biggest fear when I was building it was hitting it with static. Never happened, though.

You really can't fuck up putting a PC together anymore. The worst thing that could happen is it won't turn on right if you put things in wrong.

If you've ever once complained about

-parity
-resolution
-framerate
-FOV
-controls

You care about PC settings.

it's not the actual sliding in of the hard drive and tightening screws that is complicated , but EVERYTHING else, such as knowing what parts to get, what is compatible, troubleshooting, etc., is really what deters people...

shopping is too hard for you? Really?

Do you shit your pants in fear when you have to decide between console hard drive sizes and buying HDMI cords and whatever else or is that an exception for no reason?

injurai

Banned
If someone picks out all the parts, assembling the actual PC is easier than legos.

Then there are some (potential) difficulties with the bios, and installation. But even that can be a breeze.

That post has a point, guys. Knowing what parts to get and what is compatible could take tens of minutes in the GAF PC thread asking questions and looking at example builds. TENS! No reasonable adult has that much time to spare!
why are you guys getting so touchy about what the guy said? what he said is true, many people don't like to screw around with that stuff. Being sarcastic and defensive about what the person said strikes me as really childish

Sorry man in Youtube video. Pre-built is a lot easier to deal with. Besides I built a computer once and it wouldn't turn on. Not dealing with the hassle again.

What you dont hear is all the cussing and swearing when the cpu cooler keeps coming loose and the psu cables are too short and wtf the gpu is covering my usb ports..

*grumble*...motherfucking CPU fan springs....*grumble*....STAY THE FUCK DOWN!

Occam

More like, father of 5 year old girl builds PC for her (well, selects the components and lets her do part of the assembly). It's cool that she is interested in tech like this, though. The earlier you start, the better.

Seanspeed

Banned

I've heard many people say it was the actual building part that scared them.

Occam

Also, if your old PC takes 5-10 minutes to boot then that means you are using Windows, and it needs to be reinstalled. Because that's how Windows rolls. It's not a hardware issue.

xtradi

Banned
The last time I thought to myself "Hey, I've seen a small child do this, I can do it too!" it ended with a bottle of whiskey, an unsolved rubik's cube and a lot of tears.

Joking aside, building a PC these days is pretty much a slightly more delicate version of this.

Screen-Shot-2013-11-16-at-9.56.13-PM.jpg

Don't worry, you'll be able to manage.

You broke a block and you cry, A LOT.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The last time I thought to myself "Hey, I've seen a small child do this, I can do it too!" it ended with a bottle of whiskey, an unsolved rubik's cube and a lot of tears.

Joking aside, building a PC these days is pretty much a slightly more delicate version of this.

Screen-Shot-2013-11-16-at-9.56.13-PM.jpg

Don't worry, you'll be able to manage.

No, it isn't that simple unless you already know how to build one. Looking at the PC building thread, you get lots of people buying incompatible bits of kit because it isn't easy to know without a big community like GAF helping out those less knowledgable - that is immediately a barrier to normal people that might not have access to such a community.

Then you start building it but get confused because it isn't hpthat logical unless you've done it before. And finally you finish and it actually boots, and people complain that the wires aren't tidy.

PCs generally are stupid and not consumer friendly. There is a lot they could do to make them more approachable. You have massive PSUs that take up a ton of space - why not innovate with an external PSU that lets you use more SFF options? Then the cables from the PSU go everywhere and are nearly always too long so you're stuffing them into corners to try and make them fit. Of course they're overly stiff or thick so they are not easy to handle. And then you have hodge podge things like the split GPU power connectors that trip people up.

Yes, once you've done one or two builds it is probably second nature, but for first timers there are plenty of snags that'll catch people out. Just because you seasoned builders don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. If PC building was so easy, the PC building thread would be a lot smaller than it is.

Xtra

Neo Member
I love how disingenous even the claim that building a PC is "simple."

That is really a matter of perspective isn't it? Other things that could be considered less knowledge intensive/easier than building a gaming PC:

Disc Brake jobs
Oil changes
Replacing a toilet flange
Changing your main breaker panel (way easier than building a PC btw)
Constructing furniture
Sewing your own clothes
Tiling a floor
Repairing consoles
Home automation
Home pest control
Household appliance repair

There is a reason why the vast majority of people pay professionals to do those jobs, there is a reason why people by Macs, there is a reason why people call Orkin.

Most people could give less of a sh-t about how the stuff listed above works and the same goes for PCs. The initial knowledge outlay is intimidating to most people. People will gladly pay others to do these things.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am entirely worn out by this ignorant form of elitism.

EDIT:
For reference, all of the above jobs go quite smoothly 90%+ of the time, it is that 10% of the time that things go wrong that you have to worry about. I wonder how many poor people have been duped into the "ease" of building your own PC only to run into an issue that requires a greater knowledge base than these "guides" claim are required.

Can't see the vid at work here but it's probably a cute video that makes it apparent that building your own pc is easier than ever.

Still, most people around me, my age and above, don't even know how to open a pc case. They would need help putting the screws back in so they would be completely overwhelmed by building a custom pc themselves.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I love how disingenous even the claim that building a PC is "simple."

That is really a matter of perspective isn't it? Other things that could be considered less knowledge intensive/easier than building a gaming PC:

Disc Brake jobs
Oil changes
Replacing a toilet flange
Changing your main breaker panel (way easier than building a PC btw)
Constructing furniture
Sewing your own clothes
Tiling a floor
Repairing consoles
Home automation
Home pest control
Household appliance repair

What are you talking about? Constructing furniture and sewing your own clothes is easy!

But seriously, I have friends who make the most ridiculous of stuff ups when having to assemble IKEA furniture, despite that instructions come with those. Sure, I can make fully wooden/metal things from scratch myself, and when they call me to go fix their stuff ups I will wonder how the fuck do they make those mistakes because it's obvious to me what they needed to do. But it's clearly difficult enough for them.

There's also the fact that it's always just one tiny mistake that messes it all up. Either it's one small mistake that stops something functioning completely but it's not noticeably obvious because it doesn't look off. Or one mistake causes everything else after that to be screwed so in the end, instead of getting a set of drawers, you now have abstract art of wooden pieces sticking out all over the place.

I've never built a PC but I can imagine that would discourage people trying to build one too. You make a small mistake, don't have enough experience to figure out what your mistake was, and then you just end up feeling like an idiot and think you're not cut out for building one.

Jburton

Banned
Assembly is the easy part, it's a just a big, expensive jigsaw.

That hard part comes before that part and after.

SmokyDave

This made me realise I have no idea how complicated it is to build a PC. I mean, I've built plenty, and I've been building 'em for 20 years. I'm just too close to the subject to be able to imagine what it's like for cats that have never built a PC.

I feel like modern PCs are a total piece of piss. You can almost bung the components in the case and then shake it around until they slot into place. Modular power supplies make neat cabling easy nowadays too. It's the software side that's a little trickier, but that mostly boils down to 'install Windows and then hit ninite.com'.

For some reason, watching the video made me want to buy a new PC. Must resist, given how little I use my desktop currently.

EVIL

The stuff I always struggle with is cable management. I see all these super clean insides but once I get my hands on new hardware I don't seem to muster the patience to actually do the management of cables and it turns into a mess to the point where I am like.. fuck it! its good enough and slam shut the side panel.

Bl@de

Ehm ... yeah my dad showed me that stuff back when I was 10 and I learned it pretty quickly. The difficult thing is to select the right parts for you depending on performance and price. The assembling... not so hard.

EDIT: Oh and at that time (1996) the hardware part was fun ... IRQ Drivers, Sound Cards, ... not so much

gelf

As far as knowing where everything goes I find it pretty easy. The thing that makes me pay others to build it is troubleshooting if something goes wrong. Working out which part is failing so I can send it back. I replace single parts at a time no problem but if that fails I already know whats likely faulty. Also I'm a little afraid of the CPU as its delicate and I'm a clutz.

As for picking out parts. I'm a man who will obsessively research every none minor purchase I make. So while it may take some people an hour to do, it takes me much longer. Though that mostly goes for ordering pre built too.

Building a PC is like like putting together legos. It's incredibly easy and it makes me laugh when people complain about it being too complicated for them as some kind of stupid excuse to only game on consoles. It literally takes half an hour to learn how to build a PC.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT CURRENT CPU CORRESPONDS WHAT CURRENT MOTHERBOARD BY MATCHING UP TWO EQUAL NUMBERS??!! Nooooo too hard for me!!!!

Give me a break. Anyone and their fucking dog can build a PC if they actually put in they effort.

Lol yes, this

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Building a PC is like like putting together legos. It's incredibly easy and it makes me laugh when people complain about it being too complicated for them as some kind of stupid excuse to only game on consoles. It literally takes half an hour to learn how to build a PC..

Do people seriously make that excuse? My god that's cheap. If you can't build a PC for whatever reason, then go buy one and game on it. There's no reason to not PC game just because you can't build it.

SmokyDave

Do people seriously make that excuse? My god that's cheap. If you can't build a PC for whatever reason, then go buy one and game on it. There's no reason to not PC game just because you can't build it.
'Building a PC' doesn't begin and end with the assembly of the components.

Also, buying a pre-built machine would probably expose this hypothetical customer to all the worst aspects of PC gaming, and none of the good stuff.

pixlexic

Banned
why is it always _____ year old "GIRL"?

why not just. 5 year old? or like the other thread. a 10 year old kicks ass in smash bros?

its kind of condescending. like " oh wow.. a girl?? no way!! "

Top Bottom