• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I finished the remaining A Song of Ice and Fire books. Excellently written, but I'm reading them to get to a conclusion, not because I'm enjoying them. I don't care about the 40 new characters and 8 new factions whatsoever, but at least the writing is solid. Danny went from the most complex character to the most one dimensional and boring. Eh. Still better than ASOS.

But I watched Frozen recently. That movie is straight classic Disney magic. I avoided it because of the fanbase it had cultivated, as they sort of give off the wrong impression about what the movie is about, but watching that made me feel like when I was younger teen watching Aladdin or the Lion King for the first time.

I'm sorry I never got around to doing those banners, I've been having a lot busier of a year so far than I thought I would. I like the ones from the official site though, and they seem to do the job just fine :D

I'm sorry I never got around to doing those banners, I've been having a lot busier of a year so far than I thought I would. I like the ones from the official site though, and they seem to do the job just fine :D

No worries! Just make sure you rock the challenge like last year and we're good. :)

kswiston

Finished the Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson last night. I thought it was very well done, and offered an interesting take on magic. It was also a really fast read (being a Novella).

I haven't been planning things very well, and am unsure what I will be reading next...

Finished the Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson last night. I thought it was very well done, and offered an interesting take on magic. It was also a really fast read (being a Novella).

I haven't been planning things very well, and am unsure what I will be reading next...

Don't worry, just go with the flow. As ShaneB can testify, I spent several hours on Goodreads laying out a precise roadmap of books I was going to read this year. Needless to say, I haven't even remotely stuck to it.

There is definitely something to be said for having a general idea of the next few books you want to check out, but beyond that it was a giant waste of time for me.

Necrovex

Gaf tends to be my compass for what to read. I would have never touched Sanderson and The Stormlight Archive, or Kurt Vonnegut without it!

Titanfall and brushing up skills for interviews are sucking up my time instead of finishing an Emerson biography. Blahhhhhhhh

I should do this due to having an interview Monday, but I am pretty apathetic about it due to leaving in January. It's hard to excite oneself for a job interview when a person already achieved a major interview for an esteem program and now lounging about until his departure.

Gaf tends to be my compass for what to read. I would have never touched Sanderson and The Stormlight Archive, or Kurt Vonnegut without it!

I should do this due to having an interview Monday, but I am pretty apathetic about it due to leaving in January. It's hard to excite oneself for a job interview when a person already achieved a major interview for an esteem program and now lounging about to enter it.

I'm very lucky to have done a lot a couple of weeks ago. Since titanfall came out, my brushing up/studying has gone to a very slim amount of time.

Tremas

First Update

Tremas - 11/50 Books | 17/50 Movies​
Books
Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy)
House of Leaves (Mark Z. Danielewski)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)
The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt)
Pale Fire (Vladimir Nabokov)
The Drowned World (J.G. Ballard)
Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon)
Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn)
High Rise (J.G. Ballard)
Watchmen (Alan Moore)

Movies
American Hustle
12 Years a Slave
Wolf of Wall Street
Inside Llewyn Davis
August: Osage County
Dallas Buyers Club
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall Past Lives
Her
Hitch
Only Lovers Left Alive
Nebraska
The Lego Movie
Homeward Bound
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Under The Skin
Veronica Mars
Starred Up

Jintor

So the thing about cyberpunk (well... technology in general) is that it gets outdated so fast.

I'm not sure when precisely Cryptonomicon is set but part of the main character's business appears to be skype but shit.

Grand Optimist

Neo Member
[post=95653714]Updated List[/post]

Definitely envy those of you who have a higher book count than movies. I'm finding it difficult to get the reading time in. However I'm just starting Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities". I'm dedicated to finishing this book because of my inexcusable ignorance of this classic on the bookshelf.

Tragicomedy - 16/50 Books | 19/50 Movies

I finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. ★★★★★ - It didn't meet my lofty expectations; it crushed them. Even better than the first book, with much better pacing, tons of action, and answers for basically every question from The Way of Kings. There were three moments where I vocalized a "Hell yeah!" and I never do that in books.

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Chant-Cage-Match-Wyatt-Bros.gif

Nezumi

I finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. ★★★★★ - It didn't meet my lofty expectations; it crushed them. Even better than the first book, with much better pacing, tons of action, and answers for basically every question from The Way of Kings. There were three moments where I vocalized a "Hell yeah!" and I never do that in books.

I'm only about halfway through but so far I only had a "Hell No!" moment.
Yasnah dying so freaking unceremoniously

Anyway, update:

Nezumi - 16/50 books | 19/50 movies

Books:
Thanks to Stormlight Archive my reading progress has almost come to a halt. That the audibook version of "The satanic verses" runs over 20h doesn't help either. I did however finished Wilhelm tell (or William Tell as it is called in english). Started reading it together with my husband when we were both really drunk and thought it would be funny to read it while trying to badly imitate Suisse dialect.
When reading Schiller or Goethe, it always astonishes me how many proverbs and sayings those guys invented that are still being used today.

Movies:
I was lucky to catch a uncut screening of Snowpiercer and thought that it was really really good.
I was also unlucky to watch Lone Ranger, which was really really bad.

Books
14. The Monster of Florence, by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi

The inept and misguided investigation by the complicated Italian justice system into the still unsolved mystery of the titular Monster of Florence reminded me of Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder, where rural South Korean police are unable to solve a series of murders because their forensic expertise was non-existent and the police sought the easiest answers possible. Unable to break the Sardinian Trail and find evidence to add to your investigation? Bribe the local town fool with food and drink into confessing that he was the one responsible for the killings. Want to exploit the Monster of Florence's notoreity? Create ever expanding and increasingly outlandish conspiracy theories of satanic cults among the Italian aristocracy and parley it to ever more important positions and power.

Through his conversations with one such member of the Italian aristocracy, Preston gets to the cultural differences that complicated his negotiation with Italian officials as his own legal troubles began. To an American and a writer like Preston, the truth is absolute, and it's an absolute good to uncover it. The Italians place great value on preserving and gaining face; Preston and Spezi's inquiries into the truth behind the Monster of Florence challenged authority and the people who had become powerful based on the fictions they created to explain the Monster.

Unfortunately, the book itself felt like a burden to read, especially in light of Erik Larson's Devil in the White City, which I read not too long ago. Part of the feeling likely comes from Preston's conflicting need to tell a story in which he becomes an important character; you can almost feel Preston strain to stay objective in certain absurd moments of his life. Part of it comes from the scope; the murders potentially spanned from 1968 to 1985, though the majority of them took place in the 1980s. You can feel Preston struggle to tell the stories of these murders and the investigations, and a lot of the telling feels superficial, lacking the depth that Erik Larson achieved in Devil in the White City.

I'll admit to feeling incredulous about the fantastical theories the Italian authorities pursued and the bureaucratic nightmare in which Preston and Spezi found themselves in the second half of the book. The stakes in that section feel greater than in Preston's recounting of the investigation into the Monster's murders.

The book tries to straddle between a more dramatic, literary retelling of the events and a journalistic account of the Italian authorities' and the writers' investigations and Preston's and Spezi's subsequent legal troubles. However, it felt strangely lifeless, possibly because of the conflicting objectives.

15. The Great God Pan, by Arthur Machen

A horror classic, an inspiration to Lovecraft and other "weird" fiction writers, Machen's The Great God Pan points to a more prevalent impression that Greek mythology, but specifically Pan, had on English writers at the end of the nineteenth century. Like Dr. Faustus or Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Raymond unleashes something through his experiments in "transcendental medicine" that science cannot predict or control. Like subsequent examples of weird fiction, the violence, the transgressions, and the horror is merely hinted at, alluded to, but never described outright, both to preserve the mystery and the delicate sensibilities of the readers at the time.

Dr. Raymond's experiment led to the birth of Helen, a beautiful daughter of Pan and Dr. Raymond's experimental subject. Helen, in turns, drives men insane and into ruination. By naming the central cause of ruination "Helen," Machen is clearly drawing a parallel to Helen of Troy, a great and fatal beauty who was also a child of a mortal woman and a god. There's clearly underlying cultural tension between the pagan, Hellenic culture represented by Helen and the Christian, industrialized culture of late-Victorian England.

16. Fools: Stories, by Joan Silber

Joan Silber's short stories collection, Fools, is a moving collection of six structurally and emotionally interconnected stories. These connections create the emotional webs that bind characters across time and continents, and Silber weaves the web skillfully, pulling at our expectations and understandings of the characters based on the story's perspective. Characters present their lives the way they want us to know them by, and we see the confirmations and contradictions when other characters react to those stories. A daughter reflects on the lessons her anarchist mother imparted on her. We hear from the son of a friend of the anarchist mother; we hear from the girl who stole money from him and drove him to pan-handling to survive.

These characters are all fools, driven by their ideals about love, ideology, religion, and our struggles to define ourselves. “A man learns to skate by staggering about and making a fool of himself. Indeed he progresses in all things by resolutely making a fool of himself,” wrote George Bernard Shaw in Advice to a Young Critic. Silber reflects our own foolishness back to us and gently invites us to consider the many ways in which we are fools.

Because the characters tell us their lives, it's notable when huge swaths of live are covered in brief sentences. Silber's stories are similar to Julian Barnes's The Sense of an Ending in this regard. The things that would otherwise define us in the moment - our jobs, our relationships, where we live, what we eat, how we dress - are barely discussed as the characters instead tell us about moments of foolishness, of learning, of growth.

Silber's work is satisfying in its cohesion and comforting in its gentility and strong empathy towards the readers and its characters. "I have great faith in fools - self-confident my friends will call it," wrote Edgar Allan Poe in Marginalia. To that end, I suppose we can describe Fools: Stories as a wholly foolish work.

Movies
27. Muppets Most Wanted
Perfectly fine family movie, but not as entertaining as the last one. It's missing the heart from Jason Segel's and Amy Adams's characters or from the conflict between Segel's character and Walter. The songs aren't as memorable either; there's nothing like "Man or Muppet" from the last movie.

kswiston

I took a break from Fantasy and read No Country for Old Men. I feel sort of silly saying that I like Cormac McCarthy's prose, given his stature, but it's good stuff. It's been a few years since I have seen the movie adaptation, but from what I remember, it was pretty faithful. If you have watched that, you won't find many surprises in the plot, but the book is worth reading for Sheriff Bell's monologues alone.

This is only the second McCarthy book that I have read (the first being The Road), and from what I have heard, Blood Meridian was his best work. I will probably get around to reading that later this year.

I'm now a book ahead, with 9 days to go before the end of March. Feels good.

Cyan

Banned
Cyan - 14/50 books | 7/50 movies

Holly shitte, you guys. The Third Man is really goddamn good.

Noirish film set in post-WW II Vienna, written by Graham Greene. A pulp writer arrives in occupied Vienna, and finds the friend he's come to stay with has just been killed in an accident. Or was it? Shady characters and shadowed settings, twists and turns, and of course a beautiful woman. And one question: who was the third man?

Some spoilers:
Got damn, Orson Welles steals the shit out of this movie. That initial scene where a beam of light shines across his face, and he gives that cheeky half-grin. That scene on the ferris wheel, where he goes in a heartbeat from friendly to frightening and back again. The whole sewer chase. Which... are pretty much all the scenes he's in, now that I think about it. Amazing. His presence overshadows the whole movie.

Well worth watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cyan - 14/50 books | 7/50 movies

Holly shitte, you guys. The Third Man is really goddamn good.

Noirish film set in post-WW II Vienna, written by Graham Greene. A pulp writer arrives in occupied Vienna, and finds the friend he's come to stay with has just been killed in an accident. Or was it? Shady characters and shadowed settings, twists and turns, and of course a beautiful woman. And one question: who was the third man?

Some spoilers:
Got damn, Orson Welles steals the shit out of this movie. That initial scene where a beam of light shines across his face, and he gives that cheeky half-grin. That scene on the ferris wheel, where he goes in a heartbeat from friendly to frightening and back again. The whole sewer chase. Which... are pretty much all the scenes he's in, now that I think about it. Amazing. His presence overshadows the whole movie.

Well worth watching.

The soundtrack is amazing too.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • The Colour Out of Space (1927), H.P. Lovecraft - ★★★ - Some really fun sci-fi horror going on. Some interesting ideas in this short story. [added to: H.P Lovecraft - bibliography]
  • The Picture in the House (1920), H.P. Lovecraft - ★★ - Some interesting ideas that could have been developed further. The basic premise is really creepy. [added to: H.P Lovecraft - bibliography]
  • The Shadow over Innsmouth (1936), H.P. Lovecraft - ★★★ - A really creepy town at the edge of nowhere and a lot of strange stuff going on. Some classic horrorstuff going on and it's captivating. However, Lovecraft can't write action even if his life depended on it.

Movies
  • La vie d'Adèle - Chapitres 1 et 2 [Blue is the Warmest Color] (2013, dir. Abdellatif Kechiche) - ★★★★ - If anything this movie is a really engaging story about young love. It's also a love story in the sense that it crosses borders. A couple of centuries ago that was families, now it's sexual preference. The two leads really sell the movie.
  • Shame (2011, dir. Steve McQueen) - ★★★½ - It reminded me of American Psycho in the nihilistic view on man. But a good version instead of the low-budget flick we got with Christian Bale. This actually explores a broken man on his own terms.
  • Rambo (2008, dir. Sylvester Stallone) - ★★ - What is there to say? I watched the first couple of minutes of the movie and it was an over-the-top action-flick. Then I decided to get drunk and this movie is one hell of a drinking game.
  • Mud (2012, dir. Jeff Nichols) - ★★★½ - A modern day Tom Sawyer-tale. A movie of coming to terms with the world around you. Matthew McConaughey is great in the title role. The kids are even better.

Games
  • Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition [PS4] (2014, dev. Housemarque) - ★★½ - Having never finished it the first time it was released I decided to finish it now. And I did. The core problem with this game is that it can't seem to decide if it wants to be survival-horror or a twin-stick-shooter. At best it's mediocre at both but never bad.
  • InFamous 2 [PS3] (dev. Sucker Punch) - ★★★½ - Catching up for Second Son. I thought the first one was a colourless, a little boring but well-crafted. This one is better but I ultimatly think that both Cole and Zeke are unrelatable characters. And why does the "bad" options turn Cole into a genocidal monster?

Big update post. I watched many movies, and read one long, tedious book.

The Swan Princess (animated) - what can i say? This would be a much better story without any voice acting. And as a ballet. As a movie, not so great.

Bread and Tulips - Italian, subtitles. Housewife takes an opportunity to actually try to be herself for once. The sad part of this done-before sort of story is the level of neglect she has experienced from herself and her spouse before the movie happenings.

Stardust - a cute little fairytale

Man on Wire - Documentary about a wire walker who got arrested a lot.

Thumbelina - eh.

Keith - eh

What to Expect When You're Expecting - more about life philosophies than birth

Paris When It Sizzles - I don't think i have ever seen a film more in love with itself.

In books, i finished reading Don Quixote. I get the feeling that for all the author commentary, i should check out the cliffs notes version because i can't figure out what the hell he was getting at. He clearly had opinions on the value of chivalric novels, but the reader is expected to know all his references. I hate and disapprove of abridgement, but in this case i might get more pleasure out of the book if all the "meaningful" bits were put into a forward so i could skip it.

Necrovex

These has been an exciting two weeks. I spent all that time plowing through Words of Radiance, the second book in the godly The Stormlight Archive series. I was very surprised at the quickness of the pace; I cannot state another second novel in a long-running series that had the same fast speed. Sanderson is growing to surpass my love for GRRM, and he will probably complete his ten-book series before the sixth book is released in The Song of Ice and Fire.

Considered me on the hype train for the new novel in fall 2015.

★★★★★

These has been an exciting two weeks. I spent all that time plowing through Words of Radiance, the second book in the godly The Stormlight Archive series. I was very surprised at the quickness of the pace; I cannot state another second novel in a long-running series that had the same fast speed. Sanderson is growing to surpass my love for GRRM, and he will probably complete his ten-book series before the sixth book is released in The Song of Ice and Fire.

Considered me on the hype train for the new novel in fall 2015.

★★★★★

It really was a thing of beauty. I'm so impressed with this series that I have to remind myself to temper my expectations for future books. I imagine they will be fantastic, but can they stay this good?

Necrovex

It really was a thing of beauty. I'm so impressed with this series that I have to remind myself to temper my expectations for future books. I imagine they will be fantastic, but can they stay this good?

There is so much of Roshar that we have barely touched upon. These two books have primarily focused on the Althei and that one, individual kingdom. Sanderson has left so much untouched. I have full faith in him. He hasn't reached his writing peak as of yet.

kswiston

You guys are going to make me read those Stormlight Archive books before the year is through...

I should finish up I am Legend tomorrow. The Will Smith movie really butchered the story.

Saya

Update of my list.

Saya - 14/50 books | 107/50 movies

Books:

• Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang - ★★★★★
  • The Lifecycle of Software Objects - Ted Chiang - ★★★★
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate - Ted Chiang - ★★★★½
  • Hell is the Absence of God - Ted Chiang - ★★★★
  • Exhalation - Ted Chiang - ★★★★

Movies:

• Upstream Color (Shane Carruth, 2013) - ★★★½
  • Daughters of Darkness [Les Lèvres rouges] (Harry Kümel, 1971) - ★★
  • Iron Sky (Timo Vuorensola, 2012) - ★★
  • 47 Ronin (Carl Rinsch,2013) - ★½
  • The Tenant (Roman Polanski, 1976) - ★★★★
  • Haute Cuisine (Christian Vincent, 2012) - ★★½
  • Another Earth (Mike Cahill, 2011) - ★★
  • The Wind Rises [Kaze Tachinu] (Hayao Miyazaki, 2013) - ★★★★★
  • Man Push Cart (Ramin Bahrani, 2005) - ★½
  • The Doll Master [Inhyeongsa] (Jeong Yong-Gi, 2004) - ★
  • Eyes Without a Face [Les yeux sans visage] (Georges Franju, 1960) - ★★★★½
  • The People Under the Stairs (Wes Craven, 1991) - ★★½
  • The Wild Hunt (Alexandre Franchi, 2009) - ★★½

Movies

Mary and Max ★★★★½

Books

Faithful (Stephen King, Stewart O'Nan) ★★★★★

As a diehard Red Sox fan, and still relishing in the joy of our latest Series win, I decided to finally read this. I've had it on my shelf for a couple of years now but am just now getting around to it. I absolutely loved it. The book is a series of journal entries and emails between Stephen King and his friend Stewart O'Nan chronicling the 2004 Red Sox season. It reminded me of my friends and I and how we are during the season (not just for the Sox, but the other Boston sports teams). It was funny to see how fast King's and O'Nan's moods could change based on how the Sox were doing. It also brought me back to 2004 and how intense that postseason was and how orgasmic that historic comeback against the Yankees was. Really enjoyed this.

Glaurungr

Glaurungr - 50/50 Books | 68/50 Movies

New update:

Books:

Films:

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Update.

Movies:

20. Dallas Buyers Club -★★★★½ - Could be the role of McConaughey's career.
21. White Line Fever - ★★½ - Oh god, they got machismo everywhere.
22. Interview - ★★½ - Vaguely entertaining at the end. Vaguely bad plenty of other times.
23. Never Talk to Strangers - ½ - Pretty sure Antonio Banderas has never been in a movie worse than this.
24. Revolver - ★ - Might have been entertaining if the story hadn't been there. Waste of a Statham.
25. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - ★★★ - What the first Hunger Games should have been.
26. Escape Plan - ★★★ - Best Arnold movie since the 90s. (That's a very low bar.)
27. You’re Next - ½ - It is, in fact, a movie.
28. Ender's Game - ★★½ - Not as bad as it could have been, which is surprising.
29. Out of the Furnace - ★★★ - Doesn't quite live up to its cast, but Woody Harrelson is great white trash and he has a hilarious moment near the end.
30. Some Girls - ★★
31. Iron Man 3 - ★★★½ - The best Iron Man movie as far as I'm concerned, outside of the pointless panic attacks.
32. Monsters University - ★★★½
33. After Earth - ★ - Half a star better than You're Next. That says a lot of things.
34. 21 Jump Street - ★★★ - Narag demanded I watch this. I didn't regret it, but I still don't like Channing Tatum.
35. White House Down - ★ - I thought this was Olympus Has Fallen. Then there was Channing Tatum and oh god I wish this had been Olympus Has Fallen. It can't decide whether it wants to be Die Hard or a straight up comedy.
36. This Is the End - ★★★
37. True Adolescents - ★★★​

Should probably get back to books.

I'm so dragging my ass with both reading and movie watching. I'm planning on kicking my game up a notch this month though.

Holding me up on the reading side was William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. The book came to me highly recommended, but I absolutely hated Gibson's writing style. The universe of the book was cool, but his descriptions were way to discombobulated for me.
I've got multiple books going now including Stiff and A Scanner Darkly. I've never read any Phillip K. Dick and so far I'm loving every page.

updated

Books

Stanley Kubrick: A Biography - John Baxter
Class: A Guide Through the American Status System - Peter Fussell
The Scatter Here is Too Great - Bilal Tanweer
Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
Getting Married - Bernard Shaw
The Caretaker - Harold Pinter
Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
Silas Marner - George Elliott
The Nightmare of Reason - Biography or Franz Kafka by Ernst Pavel

Movies

Wuthering Heights 2013
The Master
Le Passe 2013
There Will Be Blood
Blue Jasmine
Her
Charulata
The Wolf Of Wall Street
12 Years a Slave
Inside Llewyn Davis
Intouchables
Interiors
The Chess Players
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Devil Wears Prada
The Big City or Mahasagar
In The Mood For Love
Le Mépris
Rushmore
American Hustle
Blue Velvet
Broken Flowers
Band of Outsiders
The Sacrifice
The Trial
Perriot Le Fou
Veridiana
The Great Beauty
King of Comedy
Paris, Texas
Breathless
Ashes and Diamonds

Empty

Empty - 19/50 books | 26/50 movies

books -

18. skippy dies by paul murray - big sweeping tragic comedy about people in and around an irish boarding school which is often entertaining and does a great job at making you attached to the characters but a bit uneven and not wholly satisfying. murray is really really good at capturing the way young people talk and its depictions of the fourteen year old boys going about their lives together in the boarding school is very fun to read with lots of wit and done with real empathy for what it is to be that age. i came to love skippy - the everyman whose romantic adventures we follow till the death the title announces - his comedy dork friend ruprecht, obsessed with scientific theories, and the rest of his circle of friends desperate to find fun among the banality of school and make sure everyone knows they aren't gay. however the sprawling nature of this heartfelt, well observed story about teenage boys left me a little cold - it wants to be about everything from drug abuse, the irish property bubble, string theory, catholic child abuse, institutional coverups, world war 1, poetry and its attempt to tie them together fell flat and when you've spent five hundred pages spending time with a group of people the last hundred pages should be the most powerful but i didn't really feel like the author had an ending and the climax felt lurched towards awkwardly.

19. dubliners by james joyce - continuing in my unintentional ireland theme for this update, i enjoyed this collection of joyce's subtle, beautifully written short stories set around troubled but ordinary people in the miserly streets of early 20th century dublin. at times i found some of these stories too vague, too understated and a little too dense with references to the particularities of of irish life in the period about which i know little, so it took me a bit to get into it. however when these stories hit me they really got me, very strong on how people face disappointment and felt like all the details mattered - the last story in particular 'the dead' was particularly striking and i found some of the descriptions in the final pages of it breathtaking.

films

24. veronica mars (2014) - this film follow up to the teen detective noir tv show gives you what you want but never really excels. as a fan of the series i liked that it managed to maintain the stylistic elements with the cinematography, mystery elements and snappy dialogue as well as the themes: class distinctions, moral ambiguity in veronica's choices, strong father-daughter relationship. however everything feels a step off: the script isn't as sharp with some cringey dialogue, the acting isn't great (maybe i just didn't notice last time), the mystery is okay but not as good as a series long one and the whole thing is muddled by lots of fan service, which is inevitable given the kickstarter financing but still annoying as it detracts from telling a more satisfying story.

25. the worlds end - from the opening with primal scream's loaded through the wonderfully pitched character drama focused opening thirty minutes i was expecting to adore this film but it just ended up as a big load of nothing. it starts with pegg channeling david brent as a brilliantly pathetic middle aged burnout trying to get his old school friends to go on a reprisal of their last day of school pub crawl. it's so charming, funny and sad and explores so much interesting territory: what it means to have the best years behind you, how people change over decades, the clash between young impulsive hedonism and middle aged responsibility, the corrosive influence of booze culture. yet after that the film devolves into a totally bland action comedy as they discover that the old home town has been overtaken by malevolent androids. awkwardly straddling styles for me it succeeds at neither, the character resolutions and thematic elements are wrapped up and wasted in awful campy style, the action plot never feels satisfying or gripping unlike the other two pegg-frost-wright films and the ending is truly baffllingly awful.

26. philomena - i wasn't expecting to like this film nearly as much as i did. as much as i love steve coogan (alan partridge, the trip), the plot setup of an old lady trying to find her son that was taken from her as a baby by nuns at the catholic convent she lived in seemed begging to be full of overwrought melodrama and i don't like the stock character of the eccentric loveable grandmother with occasional comedy vulgarity. it was that, but the execution was good as the character work was put to the forefront and the characters feel genuine. dench totally sells the model i normally loath and her relationship with coogan is excellent, with these two opposite people clashing and trying to understand eachother almost being more important than what happened to the son. coogan plays an ex-political spin doctor and ex-journalist looking for paid work after a career ending political scandal and helping philomena track her lost son. between this and the queen the director stephen frears is second only to armando iannucci in nailing the nihilism and cynicsm of politics and media in modern britain and coogan's character is a well pitched product of that, but the film gives him balance and a satisfying character arc and i was touched by the ending.

Mumei

19. dubliners by james joyce - continuing in my unintentional ireland theme for this update, i enjoyed this collection of joyce's subtle, beautifully written short stories set around troubled but ordinary people in the miserly streets of early 20th century dublin. at times i found some of these stories too vague, too understated and a little too dense with references to the particularities of of irish life in the period about which i know little, so it took me a bit to get into it. however when these stories hit me they really got me, very strong on how people face disappointment and felt like all the details mattered - the last story in particular 'the dead' was particularly striking and i found some of the descriptions in the final pages of it breathtaking.

One of my favorite passages!

A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

I got chills reading that. I love the way he repeats a phrase but reverses the order (I'm sure there's some term for this I've forgotten from English class) - "falling softly"; "softly falling" or "falling faintly"; "faintly falling." And I love the alliteration - falling faintly / faintly falling, "soul swooned slowly."

It's just beautiful.

ScribbleD

ScribbleD - 8/50 books | 20/50 movies

Books
Dragon Age: The Calling - ★★★½
Dracula - ★★★★
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience - ★★★
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - ★★★★½
Fight Club - ★★★★
Metamorphosis - ★★★
Mogworld - ★★
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - ★★★★

Movies
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - ★★★★½
Goodfellas - ★★★★★
Gladiator - ★★★½
Kung Pow - ★★★½
Oldboy - ★★★
American Psycho - ★★½
Long Road to the Hall of Fame - ★
Thor: Dark World - ★★★½
Robocop (2014) - ★★
300: Rise of an Empire - ★★★½
Gravity - ★★★★
Dreams With Sharp Teeth - ★★★★★
Anchorman - ★★★
Frozen - ★★★★
Silent Hill: Revelations - ★★★
Trailer Park Boys: The Movie - ★★★½
Resident Evil - ½
Berserk: Egg of the King - ★★★½
Berserk: The Battle for Doldrey - ★★★★
Berserk: The Descent - ★★★★★

Time to sneak in another update.
Since last time I've read 3 books and watched no new films. (Rewatched 4 films though btw. All Richard Linklater films. Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight and Dazed & Confused)

The books I read were

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut ★★★
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz ★★★★
The Trial - Franz Kafka ★★★

Ow damn, still so slow with books :(

Update: Beeblebrox - 5/50 Books | 14/50 Movies

Currently reading Metro 2033 (hmm, I thought I'd like it more, but I'm just 100 pages in, so I hope it gets better soonish), and the latest Haruki Murakami's book, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, like it so far, as I liked almost everything else by him that I read. Hopefully I'll finish both of those soon, and move to something else and catch up with the challenge.

On the movie side, I saw couple of movies since the last update: The Lego Movie (it's awesome!), and Nymphomaniac: Volume II (hated it more or less, much heavier stuff than the first movie; I'll probably avoid Von Trier from now on).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • Massans röst (2009), Mats Berglund - ★★★ - This is about about the social unease felt in 18th century Stockholm. Compared to other countries around the world at this time the revolutionary movement in Sweden was kind of small scale. It's an interesting read. Our social struggles could mostly be solved by the mayor walking down to the angry mob and asking them what there issue was so they could sit down, reason and come up with a solution. It took over 150 years of angry mobs before some finally died due to the violance.
  • I medeltidens Stockholm (1987), Göran Dahlbäck - ★★★★ - A really good and informative read on medieval Stockholm. Seeing how a city grew up is really interesting.
  • Politikens hjärta (2011), Karin Sennefelt - ★★★½ - During the 17th century Swedens monarch died in the field. What followed was the start of democracy. Basicly the guy who they left in charge had no real interest in being kind but he did want to make things better. So he built Stockholm in a grid pattern and created a working government. This book follows what happens after he died and the petty bickering in politics that eventually led to a monarch claiming the country again.

Games
  • BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two [PC] (2014, dev. Irrational Games) - ★★★½ - Good bye BioShock. The gameplay is finally mixed up a bit. While it ties the whole BioShock-universe together it does so in the most contrived way imaginable.
  • Warframe [PS4] (dev. Digital Extremes) - ★★★½ - Recently got the "play 10 hours"-trophy so I'm guessing it's fair enough to list this. I've played this on and off for kicks since it launched. I'm currently the only one in my circle of friends that actually play video games so I've been enjoying an odd match. The thing that surprises me is how easy it is to just jump in and play. It's not as tight as Left 4 Dead but it's certainly worth your time.

Saphirax

Saphirax - 18/50 Books | 13/50 Movies​

17. John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men ★★★★ - Got burned out on all the fantasy I've been devouring so decided to give something else a try. Much to my surprise I actually quite liked 'Of Mice and Men'.

18. Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest ★★★★ - Had to read this for one of my classes. Kindle version has over 100 pages so I'm counting it towards the challenge. Short and an enjoyable read.

I've 'Words of Radiance' and 'Hero of Ages' that I started reading but didn't finish. Think I really need to get away from fantasy for a while before going and finishing the two. (Doesn't help that most of what I read and want to read is fantasy related...)

kswiston

It's been awhile since I updated my master list, even if I have been posting in this thread in the interim.

I finished I Am Legend. Wasn't thrilled with the ending, but I really enjoyed the book up until then. As I said in my last post, it has a completely different tone than the movie.

I also watched two movies in the past week, The Raid: Redemption, and Food Inc.

The Raid: Redemption was a good action flick, but perhaps a little overhyped by those who recommended it to me. The choreography was great, but I started to lose interest a bit at the end when some of the characters continued to fight after 500 kicks/punches to the face. I wish the movie had more creative gun-play and less straight out martial arts.

Food Inc was a decent enough documentary, but one that had some clear biases. I screened the movie for one of my Grade 9 classes, as we were looking at the economics of farming. It's sort of funny that they were as grossed out by the scene of chicken's being slaughtered on the humane farm as they were by the factory farming stuff.

I am going to try and cram in a final movie before Monday evening's deadline so I can continue to claim that I am on track. Since I finished 6 books as of March, I decided to tackle Deadhouse Gates, book 2 of the Books of the Malazan series. I'm currently about 20% of the way through the novel, and am finding this book a lot easier to get into than the first one, likely because some of the world-building has already been handled.

I'm really proud of my progress in this competition so far. The year is just about 1/4 of the way through, and I have already finished 14 novels. I think it has been over a decade since I read more than 14 books in an entire year.

The Raid: Redemption was a good action flick, but perhaps a little overhyped by those who recommended it to me. The choreography was great, but I started to lose interest a bit at the end when some of the characters continued to fight after 500 kicks/punches to the face. I wish the movie had more creative gun-play and less straight out martial arts.

It was probably a combination of entering the film with zero expectations or hype (I hadn't even heard about it prior to watching it with the wife), and not really following any martial arts films newer than the old classics...but DAMN. I loved this movie so freaking much. I actually thought the incorporation of gunplay into the traditional martial arts sequences pushed it over the top. Sure, you have to suspend all belief in terms of the amount of punishment dudes can take, but it's a really fun film.

I really want to watch The Raid 2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom