• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” - Albert Camus

Current pace needed for completion (as of 1 June):
  • 20/50 books | 20/50 movies

GAF totals:
  • 1,939 Books
  • 4,269 Movies

Monthly Progress:
Ck2IRkq.png

Members who have completed the challenge:
  • Glaurungr - 74/50 Books | 89/50 Movies (completed 27 March)

Members currently on pace to complete the challenge:
  • 28 in total...too many to list!

Top 20 book worms:
  • Glaurungr - 74
  • Mumei - 56
  • Lumiere - 56
  • lastflowers - 40
  • bggrthnjsus - 37
  • kinoki - 33
  • TestMonkey - 32
  • Jintor - 32
  • Cyan - 30
  • jarofbees - 30
  • Reyne - 30
  • Pau - 29
  • Tragicomedy - 29
  • EverythingShiny - 28
  • Empty - 27
  • Ephidel - 26
  • rooster93 - 26
  • Saphirax - 26
  • campfireweekend - 25
  • TheWarrior - 25
  • X-Frame - 25

Top 20 film buffs:
  • Henry Swanson - 207
  • Narag - 163
  • Saya - 115
  • jarofbees - 110
  • siyrobbo - 92
  • Glaurungr - 89
  • Ephidel - 68
  • ridley182 - 68
  • Verdre - 59
  • SaltyDoughtnut - 57
  • number11 - 56
  • BrokenEchelon - 51
  • Kinoki - 51
  • daffy - 50
  • roosters93 - 50
  • markhimself46 - 49
  • Ashes1396 - 46
  • killertofu - 42
  • honeymustardn - 41

Most balanced with the force:

Least balanced with the force:

kswiston

Glen Cook - She Is the Darkness (1998) - ★★★★½ - Okay, so now I like Murgen as a narrator. The previous book seemed to meander tremendously, revisit material we already covered in the previous book (albeit from a different perspective), and generally come across as a bunch of filler. This book paints an increasingly complex portrait of all the players involved, adds a lot of depth to some of the minor characters, and builds up to a cliffhanger that has made me jump straight into the next book in the series. Two novels to go in what will likely go down as my favorite fantasy series ever.

So I take it that the series continues to be good after the Books of the North trilogy?

I was told from someone that the series doesn't hold up after the initial set, so I never went ahead with the Books of the South and Glittering Stone sets.

So I take it that the series continues to be good after the Books of the North trilogy?

I was told from someone that the series doesn't hold up after the initial set, so I never went ahead with the Books of the South and Glittering Stone sets.

I personally loved the books of the south. The series is incredible.

One quick tip: don't read the second trilogy in the order they are in the book. Read the final book, The Silver Spike, immediately after you finish the first trilogy. It's a direct sequel and I have no clue why they packaged it as book six.

LuffyZoro

LuffyZoro - 20/50 Books | 19/50 Movies​

Books
  1. Brain Wave (B+)
  2. The Emperor's Soul (A+)
  3. Steelheart (B+)
  4. The Mote In God's Eye (A-)
  5. The Universe in Zero Words (A)
  6. Rendezvous With Rama (A+)
  7. Divergent (B+)
  8. Frankenstein (A)
  9. You (A-)
  10. The Forever War (A+)
  11. Wizard's Bane (B+)
  12. Joy of X (A)
  13. The Golem and the Jinni (A+)

[*]Dune (A)
    [*]Raising Steam (A-)
    [*]Anansi Boys (A+)
    [*]The Absolute Sandman: Volume 1 (A+)
    [*]The Other Eight (A)
    [*Wearing the Cape (B)
    [*]I, Robot (A)

Movies
  1. Gattaca (A+)
  2. Sunshine (A-)
  3. Catching Fire (A-)
  4. Frozen (A+)
  5. Battle Royale (A+)
  6. The LEGO Movie (A-)
  7. The Breakfast Club (A+)
  8. Galaxy Quest (A+)
  9. 5 Centimeters Per Second (B)
  10. Europa Report (B+)
  11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (A+)
  12. Looper (A-)
  13. X2 (B)
  14. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (B-)
  15. Lost in Translation (A)

[*]Wolf of Wall Street (A-)
    [*]X-Men Days of Future Past (A)
    [*]Young Frankenstein (A)
    [*]Last Holiday (B+)

Enco

Been wanting to read more lately but just not in the mood.

I've lost interest in the books I have. Plus most of them are too long. Might have to look for some more.

No, but I have a $15 gift card to B&N and this is 8 bucks, so I'm taking a chance on it. Thanks

if you're a father, be prepared to cry or dream nightmares.

My father, who has never shown a feeling of remorse or sadness about anything during my entire childhood, told me this past weekend he woke up with nightmares after reading the novel. And he's a big McCarthy scholar, so he's acutely aware of McCarthy's tendencies.

The Road is up there in the GOAT conversation for me. It's basicaly perfect.

The movie...not so much.

McCarthy is nearly impossible to film. Much of the magic lays within his poetry like prose, particularly the southern novels. The Road film could certainly have been better

SolKane

What's the rule for updating the count? Do I update the linked post and then make a new post with the linked post in it? Looks like that's what others are doing. Sorry, I am an idiot.

What's the rule for updating the count? Do I update the linked post and then make a new post with the linked post in it? Looks like that's what others are doing. Sorry, I am an idiot.

Always update your original post (linked in the OP posts) for inclusion in the monthly tally. I base my tracking off that singular post. There are some exceptions where people aren't updating their master post and I'm having to track down their count, but that has become too cumbersome for me to do. So yeah, the master post please.

If I have the wrong post referenced on my tracking list, shoot me a PM and I'll correct it.

When discussion new stuff they've read or watched, the majority of people are linking back to that post and then discussion the new additions. That seems to be the best option.

SolKane

Always update your original post (linked in the OP posts) for inclusion in the monthly tally. I base my tracking off that singular post. There are some exceptions where people aren't updating their master post and I'm having to track down their count, but that has become too cumbersome for me to do. So yeah, the master post please.

If I have the wrong post referenced on my tracking list, shoot me a PM and I'll correct it.

When discussion new stuff they've read or watched, the majority of people are linking back to that post and then discussion the new additions. That seems to be the best option.

Thanks for clarifying!

Before I seek professional help, I'm sharing my movie plan with you guys. This June (might slip some into July), I will be watching every Police Academy film and providing a series review.

You're welcome, GAF.

kswiston

I just finished the first book in Neil Stephenson's Baroque Cycle series. Definitely not a book I would recommend with everyone due to the lack of a clear plot, and the reliance of background knowledge of history and science to really get the most out of the novel, but I liked it. I am going to switch gears for a bit, but I plan on continuing the series at some point.

I decided to go with a shorter, more humorous book for my next pick. Redshirts, by John Scalzi. The premise sounds pretty interesting, and it won the Hugo and Locus awards a couple years back, so I figured it would be good.

Master Post - 28 movies, 38 films

Books since my last review post:

Ultimate X-Men 1-100 - I could probably count this as more than one entry but oh well. It was a fun run that had some realyl great highs and some rough lows. The last few issues were pretty tough to get through but overall it was fun. I gave it a 3/5 collectively.

One Shot - My second Jack Reacher novel that I enjoyed. It wasn't amazing and was just different enough from the film to make me keep reading. I own two more and will probably buy more soon but I can't wait to continue. 4/5.

Full Assault Mode - Dalton Fury - the third fiction book written by the former actual Delta Force mission commander. It gives some fun insight into the world of being a special forces operator but sometimes his writing and pacing frustrate me. I don't think I've seen anybody else in this thread reading the series but I'll spoiler anyway:

The first book introduces a character, Kolt, who is kicked out of Delta after screwing up a mission and getting three teammates killed. The entire first book is him trying to get back into the Unit via a special solo mission. He eventually proves himself and makes it in. The second book is him being part of the Unit but then the majority of his team gets taken out of the fight and he is left with an injured best friend and the two of them get after it for a while but then the best friend ends up dying. The third book is him being with a full team again...for about 30 pages. Then it's Kolt alone again. Fury needs to figure out what the hell is going on and actually keep Kolt with his team for an extended period of time. He can't build up a book and a half trying to make a reader care for his return to being an operator only to constantly put him by himself in solo missions. Just. Frustrating.

It started off slow and I was struggling through it a bit but the end finally ramped up the pace (almost too fast) and ends on a high note. 4/5

Life of the Party - Bert Kreischer - I don't read many biographies but this one was a blast. I highly recommend it but don't want to get into it too much. It's hilarious and fun from start to finish. The only downside was that most of these stories were already covered multiple times in tons of podcasts and comedy sets over time. As good as it is, I can only go through The Machine story so many times. But then he comes out with the honeymoon story. Amazing. 4/5

Cyan

Banned
Cyan - 34/50 books | 14/50 movies

No one tell Karakand (or stumpokapow), but I totally read a fanfic novel and am counting it. Carbetbaggers by cofax is a Narnia fanfic that takes place between The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Horse and His Boy. It's a good placement choice, as there's a large gap there with plenty of room for more stories.

Cofax kicks things off the day after the Pevensie kids' coronations, when everyone goes home and they realize that they're actually going to have their work cut out for them if they want to run a magical fantasy country. They go around gathering support and finding out what's going on and what needs to be done, and have a number of adventures along the way.

One thing the author does well is voice. C.S. Lewis has a particular narrative style, and his characters have a certain manner of speaking, and with the exception of a few bits towards the end the flavor of it is nicely captured here. She (I think?) goes astray with some villains towards the end who don't really fit in Narnia (though could've been modified to do so), and with a little bit of grimdark retconning that wasn't necessary.

But she gets points for giving each of the four kids a bit of a narrative arc and plenty to do, not an easy task with this kind of cast. Solid plotting (except for the very ending where things run aground a bit), and an overall enjoyable story. If you're cool with fanfic and liked the Narnia stories, might be worth checking out.

Viridian6

Before I seek professional help, I'm sharing my movie plan with you guys. This June (might slip some into July), I will be watching every Police Academy film and providing a series review.

You're welcome, GAF.

Enjoy, I saw all except 7 when I was a kid and had a blast. Wouldn't watch them again though lol.

Currently working my way through the Discworld books. I just read Pyramids and am probably going to take a break soon. Am definitely going to read Guards! Guards! because I've read that it is one of the best books in the series. I should get back into non-fiction soon.

Currently working my way through the Discworld books. I just read Pyramids and am probably going to take a break soon. Am definitely going to read Guards! Guards! because I've read that it is one of the best books in the series. I should get back into non-fiction soon.

Pyramids is where I left off last year. It was the weakest of the first seven books for me, and it led me to take a fairly significant break.

I am also eager to read Guards! Guards! though. It's the most hyped book of the series so I expect good things.

Necrovex

Update time:

Books:

The Giver-The writing style was extremely simple, but I actually enjoyed reading something that wasn't going to ravage my brain or something dry (TOLKIEN!!!!). The themes of communism and euthanasia of the 'worthless' and the 'retirees' were well-done. I was quite hooked for a good three-fourth of the novel, but my interest waned a little during the final act. I recommend people giving this a try, especially prior to the film's release.

A question though, was this book originally planned to be a four-book series? The ending felt like Halo 2 or the first two books of The Lord of the Ring.

★★★★

Astonishing X-men- Joss Whedon is a kick ass writer, and Cassaday is a brilliant artist. I started this comic last year, but I didn't finish it until a few days ago. Not the best X-men comic to start on, but it's a fantastic addition to the overall series. I really need to read the Dark Phoenix Saga.

★★★★

Movies:

Godzilla: A strong beginning, a good ending, but a completely garbage middle portion. An hour of it was abysmal. The trailers were so misleading. My feelings are so mixed on Godzilla that I am constantly switching from a two stars to a three stars. I need to watch Pacific Rim to wash the taint off me.

★★

X-men Days of Future Past: Retconning never felt so good.

★★★★★

Edge of Tomorrow: A good Tom Cruise film? What timeline am I in? Am I actually dead?

★★★★

21 Jump Street: Prepared myself for 22 Jump Street, and holy shit, the hype is real for this one. I laughed so much during it. I'm so pumped to see the second one sometime soon.

★★★★

I need to watch Pacific Rim to wash the taint off me.

Why would watching a terrible movie help here? Is this one of those fight fire with fire type plans?

I haven't seen Godzilla, but it's impossible that I'll like it less than Pacific Rim. I generously gave that movie two stars thanks to the excellent first ten minutes. After that it was painful to finish. Worst acting and dialogue of any movie I've seen in the last five years.

Should I just skip Godzilla?

Necrovex

What? Tom Cruise has a bunch of good movies.

I like to poke fun at Mr. Cruise. I have only seen his mediocre films, not his supposed top-notch ones.

Why would watching a terrible movie help here? Is this one of those fight fire with fire type plans?

I haven't seen Godzilla, but it's impossible that I'll like it less than Pacific Rim. I generously gave that movie two stars thanks to the excellent first ten minutes. After that it was painful to finish. Worst acting and dialogue of any movie I've seen in the last five years.

Should I just skip Godzilla?

I adore Pacific Rim to no end, but even I know its dialogue is bad. But Mecha Vs. Monster fights. It hit my loves for that genre in the perfect ways. Also Mako.

Godzilla doesn't show any non-teasing monster action until the last 15 minutes of the film, and it doesn't match up with any of the fights in Pacific Rim. The beginning has wonderful tense moments, and before some certain elements are changed, the film is quite good. However I almost fell asleep during the middle portion.

KillerBEA

This is an interesting challenge. I probably won't come near 50 books, but I will attempt to start reading more. This thread has actually motivated me to actually try and sit down to read a book.

I have only seen 3 movies this year that I had not seen before.

Movies: 5/50

• Treasure Planet ★★★
  • Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring ★★★★★
  • Frozen ★★★★
  • Serenity ★★★★
  • Dredd ★★★
  • Emperor's New Groove ★★★

Books: 0/50

Just finished Adventureland (2009) - ★★★★ - What a charming movie. Perfect soundtrack that really captures the feeling of being a high schooler in the late 80s. Excellent cast with the exception of Kristen Stewart, who has made a career out of brooding looks and heavy sighs and continues that tradition here. At least she's attractive in this.

Very touching love story, but I fear that fedora GAF should avoid at all cost lest they confuse their unrequited love with that of the protagonist. For non-fedora GAF, watch this movie!

Recently finished The Broom of the System (traveling is really nice for reading! Finished in under 24 hours). It's a wonderful introduction to DFW. Alternating between a few people's fleshed our neuroses, the novel surrounds the impact of words and the power of suggestion. The main female character Lenore has some weird events going on in her life: an obsessively jealous boyfriend, messed up telephone wires at work, a missing grandmother, and a psychologist that seems more insane than she is. Splendid little read.

The Edge of Tomorrow was a solid sci-fi flick. Cruise was good as Cruise typically is. The main mechanic was treated fairly well. Quite a humorous movie, with many good bits of humor splashed throughout. Not too corny with the very muted love interest sideplot, and was treated surprisingly well for a summer blockbuster. Comes highly recommended.

Recently finished The Broom of the System (traveling is really nice for reading! Finished in under 24 hours). It's a wonderful introduction to DFW. Alternating between a few people's fleshed our neuroses, the novel surrounds the impact of words and the power of suggestion. The main female character Lenore has some weird events going on in her life: an obsessively jealous boyfriend, messed up telephone wires at work, a missing grandmother, and a psychologist that seems more insane than she is. Splendid little read.

The Edge of Tomorrow was a solid sci-fi flick. Cruise was good as Cruise typically is. The main mechanic was treated fairly well. Quite a humorous movie, with many good bits of humor splashed throughout. Not too corny with the very muted love interest sideplot, and was treated surprisingly well for a summer blockbuster. Comes highly recommended.

I'm reading that now! I'm about ~200 pages in. My favourite thing so far is Rick Vigorous's stories.
By psychologist are you referring to Dr. Jay? I thought that was a guy.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • Hravnkel Freygodes saga (~1200), ? - ★★★½ - It's fun to see such an old book following a basic action movie premise. A man who gives his life to a belief. Gets into trouble. Has his whole life destroyed. Then returns to take revenge on the men who wronged him. Interesting that action hasn't changed that much in the last 800 years.
  • A Game of Thrones (1996), George R. R. Martin - ★★★★ - First of all: the series is really a 1:1 adaption of book. I'm surprised by how little was lost in the translation. Second: while it's pulp; it's good pulp and a joy to read.

Movies
  • Be Kind Rewind (2008, dir. Michel Gondry) - ★★ - Gondry as made two fantastic movies. Neither is this. This is a movie about heart and soul and it lacks both. Ironic.
  • Sherlock: The Empty Hearse (2014, dir. Jeremy Lovering) - ★★★½ - I list these because other's have. It was real fun to see Sherlock again. Some clever story-telling. The pulpiness it excused by the sheer amount of charisma on the screen.
  • Sherlock: The Sign of Three (2014, dir. Colm McCarthy) - ★★★★ - The best episode of the bunch. Seemingly unconnected stories all unfold in a really interesting wedding. Great acting.
  • Sherlock: His Last Vow (2014, dir. Nick Hurran) - ★★★ - The weakest of the bunch. I'm not really sold on the plot and it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. The wife's story is just stupid. All-in-all I'd like more episodes and they can't come soon enough.
  • Fantastic Four (2005, dir. Tim Story) - ★ - Nope. It's just bad. And it's not even the kind of bad where you can laugh at it. What's on display is a lot of people lacking the talent to craft a coherent story. While I was a never a fan of the Four this won't get me to reconsider. The negativity going around for the next production seems unwarrented as they can't perform worse than this.

Games
  • Transistor [PS4] (2014, dev. Supergiant Games) - ★★★★ - Coming off Bastion the stakes were high. They exceeded all expectations. It's a really good game but without the coherent design of Bastion. Whatever they decide to do next will be interesting.
  • Entwined [PS4] (2014, dev. PixelOpus) - ★★★ - Always together, forever apart. Strong words that never really amount to anything. It's supposed to be the next REZ, I think, but stumbles as there's nothing really going on. It's inoffensive. It does its stuff and comes off more as a flash game. A bit disappointed but the art on display is really gorgeous even though they don't get it the whole way.
  • Battlefield: Hardline [PS4, beta] (2014, dev. Visceral Games) - ★★ - Two betas came out during the weekend and I played more of them than I should. The first is Battlefield. Which was a bore. It featured nothing that inspired confidence. It tries to capture the cops vs. robbers gameplay of children but fails misserably. Its morals do not align with any sane person. Police should not gun down criminals like this. It just rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps we are a failed society if this is what it's come to.
  • Destiny [PS4, alpha] (2014, dev. Bungie) - ★★★★ - Bungie does just about everything right with their beta. They seem to really grasp the whole "games as an activity" as opposed to "games as an experience". Here we have it so masterfully executed. Granted we can only see the barebones of it but the stuff that's hinted at is more than interesting. I'd probably it higher if there had only been more content. For a first glimpse it's amazing.
  • Ticket to Ride [Board] (2004, dir. Alan R. Moon) - ★★★★ - Why not a board game? I've played Ticket to Ride several times this year. Finally I've gotten to a point where I understand the tactics and dealings. After a few really good games this weekend I'm won over by the depth of these games. The trainbuilding is really fun and with four players each trying to build on the same areas some wonderful alliances are bound to be broken as the game progresses. Next up I really need to master Settlers of Catan.

Books

This One Summer (Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki) ★★★★

Movies

The Grand Budapest Hotel ★★★★★
Men in Black III ★★★

I absolutely love Wes Anderson. I think he creates some really memorable characters. His set pieces are outstanding. I find his camera work always fascinating. This is easily in my top 3 for Wes flicks. It might even be number one. This was such a fun, laugh-out-loud movie. The cast is insane, the set pieces are awesome, the storyline is great--just an amazing film.

This One Summer was a really enjoyable read. It evoked that sense of being a kid during the summer. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age so this hit pretty strongly for me.

[*]A Game of Thrones (1996), George R. R. Martin - ★★★★ - First of all: the series is really a 1:1 adaption of book. I'm surprised by how little was lost in the translation. Second: while it's pulp; it's good pulp and a joy to read.

The further you get in the books the less you will think this. Season 1 was pretty faithful, but Season 2 was a train wreck in terms of adaptions in my opinion (it still made for good Television, but it was not that faithful to Clash)

Back on topic, I should have a smallish update coming up soon.

X-Frame

The further you get in the books the less you will think this. Season 1 was pretty faithful, but Season 2 was a train wreck in terms of adaptions in my opinion (it still made for good Television, but it was not that faithful to Clash)

Yup. As someone who started GoT in early April and has since went through all the books, I can say that I felt the exact same after reading A Game of Thrones -- it was almost literally 1:1. That is not the same as with Book 2 and onwards however.

avengers23 - 27/50 books | 39/50 movies​

Books
25. The Devil and Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness, and Obsession, by David Grann

A very entertaining and even occasionally enlightening collection of narrative essays by the author of The Lost City of Z, The Devil and Sherlock Holmes continues Grann's focus on individuals who are almost consumed by their obsessions. Most of these essays were originally published in the New Yorker, and they display an almost melancholy or mournful style. Grann balances his unflinching eye for detail with a sense of compassion for his subjects; the words are precise, the style is selfless, and Grann leaves plenty of room for the reader to draw his or her own conclusions. Highly recommended.

26. Gods of Risk, by James S.A. Corey
27. The Churn, by James S.A. Corey

I hadn't intended to revisit the Expanse series so soon after finishing "The Butcher of Anderson Station" and Caliban's War, but I needed something short to read while I waited for books I had requested to arrive at my public library, so these novellas set in the Expanse universe seemed like easy targets.

The novellas seemed promising, since they focused on characters other than James Holden, whom I had described as the least interesting character in the Expanse series. "Gods of Risk" gives us a glimpse of Bobbie Draper after the events of Caliban's War, while "The Churn" provides an origin story to Amos Burton.

"Gods of Risk" is the better of the two; it gives us a taste of what life on Mars is like. However, it shares a problem with "The Churn" in how lifeless the depictions of low-level, everyday crime are in the Expanse series. "The Churn," by setting its story in Baltimore, consciously or not draws unflattering comparisons to The Wire and Laura Lippman's works. As antagonists, the criminals barely have one dimension, which translates to almost no dramatic tension. We simply don't know enough about the antagonists to care about the two protagonists' respective troubles.

As in the other stories in the Expanse series, the most interesting aspects are about the cultures of the world around the characters. The Martian education system funnels students into developments based on their skills and performance; it reminded me of the Hong Kong education system. Baltimore doesn't make an economic recovery; it's a walled off city dominated by criminal syndicates, little fiefdoms that create an underground ecosystem and that get periodically wiped out and reset when government officials want to seem like they care. But that's the tragedy of the setting; why do the government officials care? Why do they hire private military companies like Star Helix to suppress these little criminal empires? We never get an answer; I don't think the authors care about the question.

Movies
37. The84Draft
This was a little disappointing. The Oscar Schmidt section was revelatory, and the story of Dan Trant was the most human segment of the documentary. But a lot of it seemed cobbled together from existing material, and there didn't seem to be much new information or insight in the documentary. It also seemed to feature the same three talking heads (Michael Wilbon, Jackie McCallum, Bill Simmons); given the diversity of backgrounds and teams where the stars from that draft made their mark, some more voices would have been helpful.

I wanted something more recent from Sam Bowie. Maybe a segment with Bill Walton to drive the similarity home? Maybe something from Jordan about Bowie, if he's ever said anything publicly. Maybe catching a fan who booed the John Stockton selection 30 years later about Stockton's legacy (as one of the secretly dirtiest players in the game, but that's not here or there). And since NBA TV already did a documentary about the Dream Team,

It felt like a primer, and as someone who would seek this documentary out, it didn't give me enough that was new.

38. Silly Little Game

I finally watched Silly Little Game, which was one of the documentaries from ESPN's 30 for 30's first run that I had missed. As a fantasy baseball player, this taught me something that I hadn't known and drew a connection through Daniel Okrent, one of the founders of the original Rotisserie Baseball league, who authored a book about Prohibition and was a featured (and possibly my favorite) commentator on Ken Burns's documentary about Prohibition.

Since no archival footage really exists of the beginning of Rotisserie Baseball, directors Lucas Jansen and Adam Kurland staged dramatic, almost absurd re-enactments of the meetings and negotiations that made up Rotisserie Baseball's history. These scenes worked because they were funny, and they fit the dumb (in the most affectionate way) and obsessive way we treat fantasy sports. It helped that Okrent, Lee Eisenberg, and others are self-aware, funny, and entertaining figures who have no delusions about their significance; they helped popularize what would become fantasy sports based on their personalities, but it took infrastructure (specifically, the Internet and commodification of computers) to make fantasy sports the $3 billion industry it is today. It's not an essential 30 for 30 documentary like The U, Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks, No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson, or June 17, 1994, but it's worth seeking out and was definitely entertaining.

39. Edge of Tomorrow

As I watched the wonderfully punctuated sequence of Tom Cruise's William Cage die and wake up to Tony Todd call him a maggot upon his rebirth, I was struck with the tactile memory of hitting the "accept" button in disgust every time I died in any video game. "You Died," said the Dark Souls death screen. "Your ship has been destroyed, and all hands were lost," stated the FTL game over screen, though not in so many words. Spelunky even keeps track of how many times I've died in the pursuit of finishing the game; I'm up to 1163 deaths. Each time in each game, I have a choice: keep going, or turn the game off and move on to something, anything else. Each time in each game, I can feel the game think a little less of me for dying. "How could you forget to watch your footing and fall off that cliff," asked Dark Souls. "How could you neglect to monitor your ship's oxygen levels," probed FTL. "How could you think that you would make that jump," asked Spelunky. (Spelunky takes this indignity to the next level by showing my avatar's dead body in an inset. If there are still enemies alive, they'll keep attacking my avatar's corpse until I tell the game to move on.)

Cruise plays banality and venality perfectly; it combines the glee of seeing Tom Cruise die on screen (much like how people appreciated seeing Paris Hilton die on screen in House of Wax) as he gets his comeuppance with the martial incompetence that he shows at the start of the film. It's an easy trick to get the viewer invested into William Cage's quest; the film has to because that tension won't come from the largely blank robot alien antagonists.

The film wouldn't work without Emily Blunt's Rita Vrataski. As we saw with Oblivion, playing the woman opposite Cruise is fairly thankless. Unlike any of the female characters in Oblivion, Blunt's Vrataski exudes power and agency. At her best, Vrataski is Cage's superior: higher rank, more combat experience, more combat skill, more knowledge about the plot device that lets Cage relive this day. She decides whether Cage lives or dies throughout the film. She is Joan of Arc in a combat exoskeleton, and she is unflinching when it comes to her commitment to the mission. The film's only misstep is the popular nickname assigned to her; though she punches someone who tries to call her "Full Metal Bitch," as the graffiti on bus posters of Vrataski have named her, that seems to be the popularly accepted nickname for Vrataski. At one point, a soldier calls her "The Angel of Verdun" with reverence, as if that's the film's counterpoint to showing us those bus posters over and over, but it doesn't work.

This was a confidently directed, energetic film. Director Doug Liman knows how to create a rhythm around the repetition of Cage's deaths and rebirths, Cage's impatience as he relives the day, his frustration with his inability to break through the cycle. It's not a deep film, and I wish the film hadn't given us the happy ending that the creators thought we needed, but it's an entertaining one.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

I actually enjoy when there is creative liberties taken with a book. That's why I prefer movies like The Shining and Blade Runner. I like the novels but I also like what they set out to do. The book is a framework, it's up to the director and screen writer to make it an interesting movie. I don't expect a Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep : Blade Runner type of difference but I'm now even more excited.

Though, currently reading: 1Q84. So it'll be after that.

Jintor

So if I want to experience the most trope-tastic experiences in unabashedly killing alien invaders, what are the essentials beyond Independence Day, Alien, Aliens, and Starship Troopers?

alazz

The French-Senegalese novel Three Strong Women took me by surprise as the highlight of my required reading last semester. It's soaked in symbolism and motifs link all of the parts, more strongly than the actual subtle connections between the women, and sometimes tricked me into thinking it was fantasy (or is it? I honestly am not sure). Not for everyone, but if hybrid lit interests you, I'd really recommend it. It's easily one of my favorite novels, and I reread the second part almost immediately to try to figure out all of the quirks (first time I've felt compelled to reread something so soon).

Lancelot by Walker Percy is one of the oddest, most complex, and strikingly visual books I've read. Parts of it were thrilling as hell, while others dragged on a monologues tend to. Reading it was like working in a mine. He really made me work for it, but sometimes I'd strike gold. I'm glad I'd read The Loss of the Creature way back since I knew what his general point was to begin with. He's cemented himself as one of my favorite authors, though.

Now I'm reading LaBrava by Elmore Leonard. It's not particularly my thing, which disappoints me because Jackie Brown is one of my favorite films. Coming off of Lancelot, it's just reading words so far, idk...The plot is kind of picking up, more than one-third of the way through, but it reads very quickly so I'll finish it anyway.

Next is probably Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy, and I'll probably read volume one of Sex Criminals and Velvet in between LaBrava.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom