• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to update the OP this weekend.

Please ONLY LIST WHAT YOU'VE READ. I don't care about your to-do lists and it's so much more work for my wildly fertile and creative mind.

Kabouter

Movie #3: Killer Elite (2011) - Enjoyed it quite a bit more than I was expecting to. Was expecting your typical no-brains all-action Statham film, it wasn't.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Update: watched Date Night last night. Pretty weak. But it does have a couple of great GIF moments that woudl be perfect for some GAF moments.

AndyD
Books
1. The Trial/Franz Kafka
2. A Selective History Of Max Werner/Scott Forbes
3. A Storm Of Swords/George "Can I Write About Food Some More" "Double-R, Like The Barbie-Que" R.R. Martin
Movies
1. Dinner For Schmucks
2. Due Date
3. The Eagle
4. Date Night

Plasmid

Count me in! Saw tintin and girl with the dragon tattoo. Gonna finish the Steve jobs biography and watch pirates of silicon valley.

AAequal

Banned
Books:
#1 The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo
#2 Caim by José Saramago
#3 Plague by Albert Camus
#4 The Outsider by Albert Camus
#5 The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe
#6 American Gods by Neil Gaiman
#7 Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
#8 Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima
#9 The Temple of Dawn by Yukio Mishima
#10 The Decay of the Angel by Yukio Mishima

Movies:
#1 In Cold Blood by Richard Brooks
#2 Encounters at the End of the World by Werner Herzog
#3 Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard
#4 Dirty Money by Jean-Pierre Melville
#5 The Red Circle by Jean-Pierre Melville
#6 Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog
#7 The White Diamond by Werner Herzog
#8 Fall Guy by Kinji Fukasaku
#9 Sympathy for the Underdog by Kinji Fukasaku
#10 Harlan County, USA by Barbara Kopple

Albert Camus is the man! Plague was good as it was ten years. His books are rather short but there is so much beneath the story that you want to read the books again soon as you finish them so you can make sure you understood everything. Not sure what book I will pick up next but right now I'm going to keep day off from reading.

Fall Guy was fun comedy and reminded me lot of Welcome back Mr. McDonald! Harlan County is among best documentaries I have ever seen and I really didn't know it was so hard for the Unions even in the 70s.

AAequal

Banned
I could do 50 books but not movies. I get burned out on movies very easily. I watched like 20 last year.
50 books is probably impossible for me. Sure I can read 50 books but to really understand them and fully enjoy them it takes me a lot more time. Of course it's also matter of what kind of books I read. Last year I read all Dan Brown's books and even tho they are all over 500 pages it didn't took me much time to read since they are rather straightforward and there isn't much to "get" in them. Then I spent rest of the year reading Infinite Jest :D I'm still going to give this thing a shot even tho I will not make it. 50 films on the other hand is easy for me, I don't go to movies or rent new films and yet I probably watch around hundred films a year.

Lyonaz

Sign me up.

I'll start with reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Movies are easy so I'll do that later.

50 books is probably impossible for me. Sure I can read 50 books but to really understand them and fully enjoy them it takes me a lot more time. Of course it's also matter of what kind of books I read. Last year I read all Dan Brown's books and even tho they are all over 500 pages it didn't took me much time to read since they are rather straightforward and there isn't much to "get" in them. Then I spent rest of the year reading Infinite Jest :D I'm still going to give this thing a shot even tho I will not make it. 50 films on the other hand is easy for me, I don't go to movies or rent new films and yet I probably watch around hundred films a year.

Yeah it definitely depends on the type, but I read a lot of non fiction so that helps.

I've had IJ on the bottom of my shelf for months now. Going to try to start it this month.

Ok sign me up as well. For books I'll start with Mass Effect: Ascension by Drew Karpyshyn.

I'll assume manga doesn't count seeing as there are probably 50 words per page, if that most of the time.

If I reread the entire Animorphs series, that counts as 50, right? I consider myself a slow reader and feel like I can get through two or three of those a day.

Seriously, though, the more I think about it, even though six of the last eight books I read were in the 1000 page range and took me two weeks to a month each, I feel like this is a lot more easily accomplished than it initially seemed, at least for me, since I usually spend about an hour a day reading, which isn't far from what it should really take for books of a more reasonable length, lets say 400-500 pages. I just started reading the Dresden Files, and the first book was a quick read. I finished in three days, though I spent more than my typical hour a day.

That being said, I won't commit myself to doing it. It will require an amount of dedication and sacrifice that I'm not willing to put in. I feel like there are more than enough rules and restrictions in life without imposing more on myself. It's not that I'd have to spend more of my time reading, but length would become an overwhelming factor in what I decide to read, which feels limiting, and contrary to the whole idea.

EliCash

on to my second book

Books
1. Game of Thrones/George RR Martin
2. American Gods/Neil Gaiman

American Gods is a mixed bag so far. Game of Thrones was surprisingly great. I'll move on to the rest of the series later in the year I think.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Update again, we watched Elizabeth I. Good movie, Earl of Essex was an asshole. Glad he got what he deserved in the end.

Update: watched Date Night last night. Pretty weak. But it does have a couple of great GIF moments that woudl be perfect for some GAF moments.

AndyD
Books
1. The Trial/Franz Kafka
3. A Storm Of Swords/George R.R. Martin
Movies
1. Dinner For Schmucks
2. Due Date
3. The Eagle
4. Date Night
5. Elizabeth I

Yes Boss!

I'll do this. Usually read about fifty books a year, anyways. I read all the stuff on the kindle since I'm linked to my brother's account and he has a couple hundred books on there.

First book I read this year:

1. The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell

Not a book I'd normally read but it was fun.

Movies watched since the first of the year:

1. Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya (விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா), 2010 by Gautham Menon
2. Darling (డార్లింగ్), 2010 by A. Karunakaran
3. Guzaarish (गुज़ारिश), 2010 by Sanjay Leela Bhansali
4. Golcanda High School, 2011 by Mohan Krishna Indraganti

The first is a classy Tamil concurrent-make with Menon's own Telugu Ye Maaya Chesave. Second movie is a simple crowd pleaser. Third is the latest SLB movie after the poorly received Saawariya (which was released by Sony Classics stateside in 2007). Last movie is a fun movie about rehabilitating an aging high school through its cricket program.

This may sound stupid, but is the challenge only things you haven't seen or read? Because if so, that makes it harder. But if I am allowed to count my annual watch of Terminator or something, that helps alleviate some stuff. And I dont mean "I watched this one movie fifty times this year" for counting. I mean "I have seen the movie before, but have not watched it yet this year" for counting.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
If I reread the entire Animorphs series, that counts as 50, right? I consider myself a slow reader and feel like I can get through two or three of those a day.

:( I lived in France so I would get the animorphs when I was on vacation. At some point I guess the series ended and no one was interested anymore so they disappeared (started selling for 20 dollars apiece, wtf). I never got to finish the series, I went up to 32 maybe.

I'd probably think they were childishly written now but I still wish I could find the rest of the books to finish it. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!

sort of. I heard Rachel died and I guess they eventually won. This is not an invitation to tell me more.

xBigDanx

Update...

Movies:
1. Tucker and Dale vs Evil - fantastic 'horror' movie, good spin on a tired genre
2. True Grit - remake
3. The Adjustment Bureau
4. Ip Man

Books:
1. God, No! by Penn Jillette - great, easy read. Very enjoyable.

I finished Cat's Cradle, my first Vonnegut book but it is unlikely to be the last, pretty funny but yet still kinda depressing. I also watched The Manchurian Candidate (The Denzel remake)

Next I am going to read Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, hopefully it lives up to the First Law trilogy.

Question, how many pages can you guys get through in a day on average and do you ever get into a thing to where you've read like 5 pages and realize that you haven't been paying attention to a single word you read?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I read before bed every night and depending on how tired I am I get through 30-100 pages before I start falling asleep and backtrack a few pages then stop.

If I read during the day, I can go for a couple hundred pages before I have to stop and take a break and do something else for a few minutes.

Red

Book 1: Brave New World
Book 2: Steve Jobs (in progress)

Movie 1: Amadeus (for like the millionth rewatch. One of my favorites)
Movie 2: Waiting for Superman
Movie 3: Revolution OS
Movie 4: Exit Through the Gift Shop
Movie 5: Mission Impossible
Movie 6: Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Do textbooks count? I'm not taking any classes but I'm reading a few things for fun.

besada

Banned
Question, how many pages can you guys get through in a day on average and do you ever get into a thing to where you've read like 5 pages and realize that you haven't been paying attention to a single word you read?

That's when it's time to go do something else. Usually fall asleep.

I read about 80-100 pages an hour, depending on the density and complexity of the text. I can read for about four hours straight before I need to take a break.

Gozan

Hey, why not:

Book 1: John Dickson Carr: The Problem of the Green Capsule
Book 2: Philip K. Dick: Ubik

Movie 1: Gulaal
Movie 2: Full Moon Scimitar
Movie 3: Sexy Killer
Movie 4: The Important Thing Is To Love
Movie 5: The Clone Returns Home
Movie 6: Don't Go Breaking My Heart

:( I lived in France so I would get the animorphs when I was on vacation. At some point I guess the series ended and no one was interested anymore so they disappeared (started selling for 20 dollars apiece, wtf). I never got to finish the series, I went up to 32 maybe.

I'd probably think they were childishly written now but I still wish I could find the rest of the books to finish it. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!

sort of. I heard Rachel died and I guess they eventually won. This is not an invitation to tell me more.

Good news, they started republishing the books in the states!

Also your ending isn't exactly correct... it is a little more disappointing than that unless K.A. Applegate ever decides to do a sequel series.

---

I'd sign up for this but I have such a hard time reading these days. Maybe this is what I need to get back on track. What the heck, Sign me up.

Counting stuff i've done earlier this week

Movie 1: Seven
Movie 2: Jurassic Park

I don't...understand this goal. I "accomplished" this last year without even knowing about it, and I can say that it's not something I'm proud of. Do you need any motivation to seek out entertainment and media? Aren't we all fighting the urge to waste time, finding any excuse to avoid things that actually need to get done? Is regimenting and scheduling your next viewing of Date Night in any way satisfying? I need the opposite of this, something to stop me from reading and watching movies.

I don't...understand this goal. I "accomplished" this last year without even knowing about it, and I can say that it's not something I'm proud of. Do you need any motivation to seek out entertainment and media? Aren't we all fighting the urge to waste time, finding any excuse to avoid things that actually need to get done? Is regimenting and scheduling your next viewing of Date Night in any way satisfying? I need the opposite of this, something to stop me from reading and watching movies.

I need motivation to read. I get too distracted by the internet to focus on something like that. Movies, however are no problem for me at all... esp because they're easy to multitask during since they go on without you.

Late comer...

Movies

1. Predator (1987) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/ - Its aged well, even if it is a corny 80's action movie. I was surprised to read recently that Jean Claude Van Damme made his acting debut as The Predator in this movie, but only for 2 scenes. Both when the Predator was stealth and jumping around the jungle.
2. Predator 2 (1990) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100403/ - Cheesy. Camp and Danny Glover. Who cares though. There's a decent idea within this film, shame the execution is so poor. It does allow however for a good trivia question - Who are the only 2 actors to have been killed by an Alien, Predator and a Terminator?
3. Predators (2010) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424381/ - Didn't like it on first viewing when it was released. However, on second viewing when I no longer care about what it should/could have been its decent and fits somewhat within the Predator storyline. Not too sure about the whole collecting 'bad people' to hunt part though.
4. AVP: Alien v Predator (2004) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/ - I tell people I don't like it, but I keep watching it... action cuts were too fast for my liking.
5. Jurassic Park (1993) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/ - Classic. Amazing that it still looks 'modern' nearly 20 years on.

Books
1. A Cultured Left Foot - Musa Okwonga (Small book on football/soccer and why left footed players are more 'skillfull'. Bit of a fluff book really, wouldn't recommend).
2. SOFI 4: Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin (LOOOOOOOOOOOONG read, not the best of the series but I'm hoping it helps build for the next book).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Update: We watched McGruber while disassembling the Christmas tree and decorations in the living room. Awful, but then again we knew it was a throwaway movie.

AndyD
Books
1. The Trial/Franz Kafka
3. A Storm Of Swords/George R.R. Martin
Movies
1. Dinner For Schmucks
2. Due Date
3. The Eagle
4. Date Night
5. Elizabeth I
6. McGruber
7. Leap Year

Foob

Movies:

Heathers
Contagion
Boys and Girls
(don't hate, it was on bravo and I lacked the will to grab the remote)

Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night. I thought it was really great, even though I didn't fully grasp the ending at first. I understood his evolution though, which was pretty thought provoking. That was my first new movie of 2012.

Actually, I did watch Red, but I don't want to count that. I want my 50 movies to be big in scope etc.

Amir0x

Banned
I always end up watching at least 50 movies and I read like 10~15 books a month so this isn't really a challenge. But I'll be in. Let's see so far this year.

Books
1. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson
2. Hitler's Pope: The Secret History of Pius XII by John Cornwell
3. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
4. The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values by Sam Harris
5. Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World by Lisa Randall
6. Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Next book on the 12th is A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing by Lawrence M. Krauss.

Movies
1. The Adventures of Tintin (finally got some people to go with me)
2. Contagion (just came on On Demand)
3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sky

tarius1210 said:
For the people who have jobs, when do you get time to read?

I take all my books to work with me. I read during lunch, breaks, during downtime and whenever there is a free second. And then I also read when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom