• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% of 118 Million PlayStation Users Sticking With PS4 Despite PS5 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinking

Gold Member
..and people are wondering why their rumored handheld would support PS4 games. That generation just won't quit.

Rick Astley GIF

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is probably always true we just don't normally have the numbers. Like when the PS4 hit 60 million - do we really think the other 60 million were new gamers or people who dropped out for 3 or 4 years?

near

Gold Member
I wonder how many of those active users are using multiple accounts. I have 3 active PSN accounts on PS4, I'd imagine that is reflected in that data, which means it doesn't really tell us much.

I can see why. It is the exclusive platform for one of the greatest games ever made that may never get a remaster - Knack.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The PS5 costs as much today as it did in 2020, hell the digital model is $50 more, it's no wonder people haven't jumped on, people seem to keep forgetting about inflation as well.

Sony had already launched PS4 Slim at $299 at this point last gen and that was after a year after the price cut down to $350. Obviously folks are seeing more value in PS4 than PS5 at this point.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean most of the games are still released on PS4 anyways and Sony is too occupied porting stuff to PC than pushing out games to entice PS4 owners to make the jump.
If they keep it up what do you think will happen when PS6 releases.
Sony can keep doing what they're doing, but they need to start rolling out reasons to buy a PS5.
but their strategy so far is doing the exact opposite
Short term gains, long term effects

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Sony had already launched PS4 Slim at $299 at this point last gen and that was after a year after the price cut down to $350. Obviously folks are seeing more value in PS4 than PS5 at this point.
When it's catalogue improves, you'll see more people migrate over. I haven't bothered to upgrade yet because I just don't see the value in it.

midnightAI

Currently, but PS5 sales are still doing well tracking almost on par with PS4 at this point last gen. It's normal for PlayStation as the big first party games come second half of the gen, what is different this time is that the PS5 is holding it's price but it is doing so with good sales so not a worry. I can see it lowering when Pro is released though.

Unknown?

Are we going to get these articles when Switch 2 is only 3-4 years old? This has literally happened every gen.

Tons of PS1 users didn't migrate to PS2 at this point either.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Currently, but PS5 sales are still doing well tracking almost on par with PS4 at this point last gen. It's normal for PlayStation as the big first party games come second half of the gen, what is different this time is that the PS5 is holding it's price but it is doing so with good sales so not a worry. I can see it lowering when Pro is released though.
It is tracking almost on par with the PS4 worldwide or is that a region specific statement?

Crayon

When my friends.are asking about a ps5 I tell them go for it if you like the idea of a really nice ps4 until last year. Finally games are coming out that are not on ps4. My big four games so far this year are not on ps3. My wife has had two big games not on ps4.

Anecdotally, of my 7 close gaming friends, 3 of us have ps5's and all have pcs at least good enough to jump on an mp game like apex together.

With the pS5 Sony has really entered the high end PC gaming market, and is on track to leave the traditional family console consumer market.

That’s why XBox decided to get out, they don’t need to be in the PC hardware market.

Nintendo can basically not even upgrade their Switch products at all and still own the family console market because they literally will have no competition.

nial

I've not been following sales as much as I use to. But I recall PS5 software sales being abysmal in Japan, so it caught me by surprise.
Software is the odd situation (you can make an argument for digital ratio, but we mostly assume F2P is king), but hardware has been great so far. On track to outselling both PS3 and PS4 (and PS Vita, obviously).

AmuroChan

Context is important. I have a PS5 and PS4 in my house. My two kids use the PS4. I use the PS5. To Sony, that's two PS4 PSN users and one PS5 PSN user. Yes, technically the two PS4 PSN users haven't upgraded to PS5, but in reality our household already has a PS5. My kids are just not using it yet.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I'm fine with owning a PS5 - it has faster load times and a better controller. I think I would've been fine sticking with a PS4 Pro, though, too. I don't notice a world of difference, graphically.

RayHell

This is so pointless, until PS5 reach 118 millions sold of course that mean that some % of people stick with ps4. No gaming console in the history sold 118 millions in such short amount of time.

SHA

When it's catalogue improves, you'll see more people migrate over. I haven't bothered to upgrade yet because I just don't see the value in it.
How did you keep up with many games? that's beyond me, I'd probably do the same if I have the time to beat many games, it's like buying a Japanese car that can live for 80 thousands k/m but I choose to keep it for another 200,000 k/m like it's no big deal, I don't understand.

Miles708

I don't think i'll ever upgrade with all the things i still have to play on PS4 and the fact that the new thing still costs too damn much while offering so much less in comparison.
Definitely count me in the 50% still sitting in last gen

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
How did you keep up with many games? that's beyond me, I'd probably do the same if I have the time to beat many games, it's like buying a Japanese car that can live for 80 thousands k/m but I choose to keep it for another 200,000 k/m like it's no big deal, I don't understand.
I don't keep up with many games. lol. I'm behind on so many, but the ones I do get at launch I buy on PS4/PC/Switch. I will run my PS4 into the ground, and I will keep buying physical games for it until I pick up a PS5. I might even buy Metaphor: ReFantazio on PS4, the beauty of not caring about graphics. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aenima

Its the Fortnite/Fifa/CoD gang, cuz every new crossgen release its sold mostly on PS5.

Also PS5 is selling at the same pace PS4 sold in the same time frame, so its a pretty normal adoption rate, especially when PS5 got a price increase instead of a price drop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom