• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 Million Yahoo Accounts Hacked in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesha

Coincidentally I changed my password months ago. I don't think I had a lot of personal info stored there either, nor had I actively used the account for nearly a decade.

nadozza

I wonder how many of these are JP accounts. For whatever reason yahoo is the go to web search here in Japan. So I'd wager a lot of the existing yahoo accounts are JP ones since I've never seen anyone outside of Japan use yahoo.

I'd be curious to know if JP is involved at all. As far as I'm aware they're pretty much separate from each other and Verizon's deal doesn't include them iirc

ViciousDS

Banned
Adrian Woj is the only reason I bother with yahoo.......and it doesn't even require me to login lol.

I don't know anyone who uses yahoo anymore.....they have been trash before.

Didn't they have a breach in the past before this as well that had a ton of users affected?

SURGEdude

Yahoo is such a shitpile. They employ tons of smart people and yet somehow manage to suck in every way imaginable no matter what startup they buy or head start they get. They'd be better off just paying their workers to stay home so they can coast instead of actively building shitty services nobody in their right mind would ever use.

If I were Verizon I would fire everybody making over $300k a year day one. Everybody below that is coming from same pool as people who end up at Apple and Google so it's clearly a management issue.

I feel sorry for investors who bought into the hype about Marissa Mayer and how she was a Google hot shot that the media was pumping for years. Even long after the she had proven to be in inept quarter after quarter. From what I can tell she's the friendly Carly Fiorina. Somebody who rubbed shoulders with the right people and happened to be at the right startup and then used that persona to build up anticipation of a sudden transformation for Yahoo into the next Google as a means to climb the ladder.

Turns out based on how she's run Yahoo we can safely assume nobody at Google even noticed she was gone.

Yahoo discontinued their old Messenger a couple weeks ago (which got my bf to finally switch to a new chat program). So now I have zero reason to ever use Yahoo again. Good.

Am I the only one that is bothered by using the world 'hacked' for something as low level as 'guessing your password'?

If somebody logs in to your account, that's not a hack. You can call it hijack or whatever, but nothing was broken which is how I define a 'hack'.

As for the topic, I agree that password changes should be not only forced, but forced to a secure standard (like using at least 8 characters that include small and capital letters, numbers and symbols). Also, I haven't used the programs that help you generate and enter secure passwords, but if they do work, they should be aggressively pushed.

Jazz573

I wonder how many of these are JP accounts. For whatever reason yahoo is the go to web search here in Japan. So I'd wager a lot of the existing yahoo accounts are JP ones since I've never seen anyone outside of Japan use yahoo.

JP is pretty much a different company. SoftBank has majority ownership of it, with Yahoo owning only a small percentage.

TalonJH

If it's not obvious, if you have accounts, even if unrelated to your yahoo account but have the same password, you should change them.

RexNovis

Banned
I'd be curious to know if JP is involved at all. As far as I'm aware they're pretty much separate from each other and Verizon's deal doesn't include them iirc

I just assumed it was the same as the states. You're probably right.

JP is pretty much a different company. SoftBank has majority ownership of it, with Yahoo owning only a small percentage.

Ah well that explains why its so dominant in Japan. Been wondering about that for years. I wonder why SoftBank didn't just create their own search platform.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
There has been at least 2 times in the last couple years where Yahoo forced a password change for my account. i wonder if that had something to do with this news.

Vanguard

Trying to remember if I deleted my account by then, or if that even if it was deleted it could have been scooped up because the records weren't fully deleted by then. Not much I can do about that now anyway I suppose.

This whole thing is bizarre.

They didn't even realized they were hacked for two whole years, and they are not even sure if security questions and the answers were hacked?

Wtf?
The company should not be urging users to update passwords, they should be forcing password changes at this point.

Indeed, but to be fair, if it happened two years ago if your account was compromised I'm sure the hacker would have done anything it wanted to do with that already

I still have a Yahoo account because of messenger which I don't really use anymore either but I've changed my password on there already and aside from a message I didn't get a prompt to change it, I remember years ago there was also a mobile exploit that gave people access to the e-mail accounts of others, I remember seeing someone with an IP out of Brazil got into my account and sent spam, good times.

Checked my mother's e-mail and had a password change prompt come up so yeah, they're forcing it for people they know haven't updated their password in a long time.

Oh and yeah, Yahoo really should've sold to Microsoft back when that buyout was offered, I thought it was going to happen when they formed a partnership and tied their chat programs together but nope.

If I had invested in Yahoo I'd be pretty pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom