• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

Game #19: MUSHA
Genesis, 1992
5 hours

Of the SHMUPs I have played this year, this is the one that I enjoyed the most by a considerable margin.

The gameplay is rather standard. There are three different weapon types, each with different advantages, as well as options to collect, which you can put in different formations. The combination of weapon types and option formations allows you to customize your approach to the game, which is neat. What made this game enjoyable above and beyond the formula is the excellent levels and the variety within them. There's a good balance of difficulty; it's probably in the 90th percentile, making it exceedingly easy for a SHMUP but otherwise quite difficult. The graphics are great, and the setting is... well, it's unique, and it's very cool. The music is stellar, and MUSHA is another example of a world-class composer somehow thriving on the limited Genesis hardware.

There are a few flaws with the game, but they are minor. The game's relative ease combined with its conventional SHMUP structure make for a rather short game; it took me about two hours to beat the game on my first try and my second time through was less than half of that. Related to this is how much more difficult this game becomes when you die. My subsequent experience playing the game has really made me realize this, and you can really get yourself in a jam if you run out of options or find your arm weakened in a bad spot. This is exemplified in the last level, where starting with no stuff is way more difficult than at any other point in the game. Indeed, I spent more time on the last level than I did on the rest of the game combined. There are also a couple of bosses that are so much easier with certain weapons that their design seems like a mistake. A final issue concerns the amount of invincibility you have after getting hit. For reasons I can't articulate, it feels shorter than it looks.

But none of these things are a real obstacle. You can easily avoid making any restarts with a little bit of practice and the shortness of the game is ameliorated by its replayability. This is an excellent game that should be missed by nobody.

5/5

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21-39
Games 40+

Game 45: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
uncharted2rup6m.jpg

Truth be told, this is the first time I've played this so close to playing the first game and the differences are more stark than I thought. Mechanically, Drake's Fortune was like having all these pockets of enemies that roadblocked your progress, while Among Thieves was more like it being a continuous obstacle course of smaller encounters and traversal. The slow, methodical approach to combat is thrown out for something that better rewards taking risks and pushing to move forward. It's really hampered by everything that goes on after the Convoy chapter. It ramps the difficulty to unfun levels and becomes a real chore to finish. And if I think about it, that's why I prefer replaying Drake's Fortune. I know this is a much better game, but I really don't want to do that final quarter. The port is, again, sterling technical work by Bluepoint. But again, it's a bit buggier than the original release was. Not as bad as the first game, but it still tarnishes it. I'm starting to feel like QA was minimal because it's a collection of remasters of games that had already been through it. Shame. Uncharted 3 next, though, and I've not finished that more than once, so it's going to feel much fresher than the first two.
If you like Tomb Raider (2013), you'll like this
(I think that's going to be the verdict for all 3 games in this collection)

Teggy

Post 1

Game 60: Halo CE Anniversary - 8 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 10/4. First time playing since way back when. I really like the Anniversary editions because they let you view these older Halo games based on the level design without the distraction of old graphics. The repetition of the levels was just as I remembered it, although it was a more frustrating game than I recalled.

Game 61: Halo 2 Anniversary - 7.5 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 10/6. Another replay of a game I played a long time ago. With the exception of one level, Bungie did a great job getting rid of the mirror image repetitive levels from Halo 1, making this game a lot more enjoyable to play.

Game 62: Halo 3 - 6 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 10/7. My final replay of the Halo series, since I never got around to 4. A fun game with lots of variation in the combat, with the exception of the dreadful "Cortana" mission, which was as annoying as I remembered.

Game 63: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - 40 hours
# Played on PC, finished 10/12. Had a great time with this game - the fighting, gunplay and driving was all fun and each had mechanics that made it unique like leaping, slow motion disarms, bullet time and jumping out of your car to hijack another. Wish they would make a real sequel. Played nearly 100% of the main game but couldn't find one random event, as well as both story DLCs.

Game 64: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 9 hours
# Played on PC, finished 10/14. A bit more compact than The New Order, but a fun return to the gameplay.

Game 65: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 12 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 10/22. Got this free via Games With Gold, so did a replay (originally played on PC) for achievements and to prep for the sequel. Enjoyed it again and am looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Game 66: Halo 4 - 6.5 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 10/25. Finished up my run of all mainline Halo games prior to Halo 5.

Game 67: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier - 12 hours
# Played on PC, finished 10/27. Had a lot of stealth and tactical options I liked, but for some reason I never really got into the game.

Game 68: Halo 5 - 7.5 hours
# Played on XBONE, finished 11/3. Decent enough but lacked a lot of the spectacle of some of the earlier games.

Game 69: Rise of the Tomb Raider
# Played on XBONE, finished 11/18. Played twice, once on normal and once on Survivor difficulty.

Game 70: Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition - 28 hours
# Played on PC, finished 12/3

Game 71: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 11 hours
# Played on 3DS, finished 12/6. Got the bad ending, oh well.

Game 72: Until Dawn
# Played on PS4, finished 12/16. Played through with 3 deaths and then went back and replayed parts to get the no death ending.

post update

Super_Mario_Bros_Logo.gif

Games #38 - 40 Super Mario Bros 1 - 3 - 9/30/15 (2-4 hours each)
After more than 15 years of not finishing any of the starting games, I went back and got it done. I may have used a few cheap live gaining strats, but I went through each game without the use of warp pipes or flutes. SMB 1 took the least amount of time since I had played the majority of it many times before, just had issues once I hit the end of W8-2/3. The other 2 games...took a few retries since 2 (Lost Levels) I had little experience with and then 3 kept getting me on World 8.

Disgaea_3_Logo.png

Game #41 - Disgaea 3 - 10/10/15 (35 hours)
It took me a while to get back in the swing of things with this one. It wasn't that the game was bad, since it played just like the rest only better, just the characters were kinda ehh compared to the past 2 entries. At some point I'll probably go back and try as much post game content as I can, but for now just finishing the game was enough to scratch that itch for a little while.

header_586x192.jpg

Game #42 - Terraria - 10/12/15 (10+ hours)
Got back into this with the latest patch a few months ago and have been playing it off and on. Noticing that the harder difficulties definitely do not hold your hand when it comes to being a loner. I've been playing it on expert and slowly been making my way down to hell, while making sure that I can actually take a few hits from things, which is much harder than it used to be.

Whaaat? We get until Jan 2nd? Aaaand peoples pics include if they did it last year to? Quit trying ta pull me back in!
Yes...sorta. You need to have have completed all of your games by Jan 1st and sent them to me by the 2nd. The thread will be locked on the 2nd after I post the final results.

As for the pics, yes, you do get to see who has completed both years.

On the topic of that, I don't like my design. If anybody has good alternative ideas for them please PM me!

edit: big update:
Game 14 – Bloodborne (PS4)
I loved it. I got to the final boss and was unable to defeat him. Grinding for more ammunition wasn’t worth the time so I just watched the ending on YouTube.

Game 15 –Forza Horizon 2 Presents: Fast & Furious (XBO)
A neat little game. I enjoyed it.

Game 16 – Titanfall (XBO)
After playing the PC version a ton I tried out the console version. The framerate isn’t that great on console but there’s more people playing.

Game 17 –Sunset Overdrive (XBO)
Rental. Not a big fan.

Game 18 – Project Spark (PC)
I didn’t play this a whole lot. I tried some of the Conker stuff and thought it was pretty cool but the rest of the game was pretty awful.

Game 19 – Battleblock Theater (360)
Fun little co-op game. I had fun. Never finished it and probably won’t touch it again.

Game 20 – IDARB (XBO)
I wish the netcode was better. Extremely fun.

Game 21 – The Beginner’s Guide (PC)
Outstanding.

Game 22 – Cities: Skylines (PC)
Love it.

Game 23 – Besiege (PC)
Neat little game. It’s quite difficult but I like it.

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Game #59: Freedom Force: 21.8 hours
Simple, colorful and cheesy as hell. This was a comic-book ass comic-book game for better or worse. The characters and missions were varied enough to keep me engaged which was good because it does not run well on modern systems. A lot of the time the levels will load with a broken and barely useable cursor and horrible collision/pathfinding bugs, but if you quit out of the game and restart it a few times you can get it working fine.

Bonus Game #2: Metal Drift: 5.9 hours
The second in my "Old Dead Multiplayer Games" series is Metal Drift. At first glance it appeared to be a lot like Rocket League, futuristic sport, driving a vehicle, balls, goals. However once you start playing the comparisons prove to be superficial. The ball can be thrown, but has to be carried onto the goal to score, and the hover tanks used handle completely differently to the Rocket League cars. Your boost power can also be used to supercharge your weapons, and only through powered up shots can most weapons kill enemies without a lengthy reload which creates a long time-to-kill which is an interesting dynamic. Weapon variety is good, and so are the equippable powers. Overall it was fun for what it was.

The AI is also competent enough that I still had fun even though I couldn't get the game online, which is always a bonus when discovering dead games in your library.

Labadal

Games 1-20
Games 21-40
Games 41-

Game 49: Yakuza 2 - 18 hours
PS2

I replayed this classic SEGA game in preparation for Yakuza 5. I don't have much to say about it, other than, it is my second favorite game in the series. Fun but sometimes infuriating combat. The camera in the PS2 Yakuza games is a bit annoying, but it isn't game breaking or anything. I like the soundtrack and I love the characters.

Synth

Original Post

Minecraft Story Mode: Episode 1: The Order Of The Stone

Criteria: Standard game completion.
Time played: 2 hours

Really enjoyed this. I wasn't really sold on the idea of Minecraft receiving the Telltall treatment, but I guess the pretty much blank slate has many advantages... a bit like The Lego Movie I guess. Will definitely check out future episodes.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Nothin' like fighting games played on the easiest setting ta quickly pad out your beaten game count! This time around I cheesed VF4: Evo and VF: 10th Anniversary!

Games Beaten: 41 / 52
Total Playtime: 315 hours, 27 minutes

01 - 26
27 - ??

gaiages

Banned
I've been quietly updating my post all year, but now that I'm only 10 games away from the end, I wanted to show off my progress thus far! Honestly, the last ten games I'll have will probably be quick and easy beats, like a few RPGs I'm right near the end of, and shorter VNs/adventure games. I'm just excited to make such strides in my backlog this year :p

My Backloggery
My HowLongToBeat page

Beaten [42/52]:
Game 1: Shovel Knight - 6h23m
# So damn awesome.
Game 2: To The Moon - ~4hr
# Very emotional. ;-;
Game 3: Super Mario 3D Wold - 8hr25m
# Very fun. Last world was satisfying.
Game 4: Alphadia Genesis - 16h22m
# Generic and pretty boring.
Game 5: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - ?h??m
# Cleared Classic Mode a few times. It's Smash, what more is there to say?
Game 6: Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition - ~1h30m
# Cleared Arcade with Ken. Been a long time since I played a Street Fighter game, this was pretty fun.
Game 7: Narcissu Side 2nd - ~2h
# Man, that was pretty sad. The original is still a lot more... heartfelt, though.
Game 8: Westernado Double Barreled - 3h12m
# Wow, this is actually pretty amazing. Getting clues for the randomized killer is fun, and the atmosphere and gameplay really drive everything home.
Game 9: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - 8h25m
# -Replay- Pretty fun with friends, so dull with single player. Played as Charlotte, which was cool, but the extra grinding I had to do for spells was meh.
Game 10: Attack on Titan - Humanity in Chains - ~2h
# Once I actually understood all the moves at my disposal, the missions were pretty okay. Too bad it was only two or three more missions until I beat the game, and I don't have much interest in World Mode.
Game 11: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland - ~20h
# Sterk's ending get. I liked Atelier Rorona just a bit more, but this one's pretty good, too.
Game 12: Basketbelle - ~1h30m
# That was... weird.
Game 13: Long Live the Queen - 1h58m
# Pretty interesting. I made my princess rather... militaristic, heh. Oh, and all magic all the time
Game 14: Super Chibi Knight - 2h47m
# Fun enough for a nice afternoon romp. Reminded me a lot of Zelda II without the horrid difficulty spikes.
Game 15: Lost Dimension - ~20hr
# The traitor mechanic is a great idea, but the battles are dull and tedious, and really drag things down. It's be a lot better if there was a fast forward button for enemy phases.
Game 16: Cthulhu Saves The World - 7h30m
# Honestly, didn't enjoy it all that much, just finished it up since I was close to the end. Meh.
Game 17: Battle Fantasia -Enhanced Edition- - 1h15m
# It's bleh.
Game 18: Retro/Grade - 58m
# A fun little distraction.
Game 19: Onechanbara Z2: Chaos - ~5h
# Tits McGee.
Game 20: Zenzizenzic - 2h10m
# Nice shump.
Game 21: Astebreed - 58m
# Quite pretty, and fun enough. I enjoyed it.
Game 22: Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition - 2h20m
# Still as fun as the 3DS version.
Game 23: Freedom Planet - 3h05m
# Very nice throwback to the Genesis Sonic games. Should have really played Classic instead of Adventure though.
Game 24: A Bird Story - 1h08m
# Interesting. Not heart-wrenching, but nostalgic for simpler days.
Game 25: Nitronic Rush - ~30m
# Neat, I like it. Beat Story Mode.
Game 26: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 1h50m
# Gameplay was awesome, story was cringeworthy.
Game 27: XBlaze Lost: Memories - ~10h
# Quite boring, honestly. Not worth playing.
Game 28: Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - 4h21m
# Pretty darn fun, and super cute :3
Game 29: eden* - 10h
# A good story, but it really could have dealt with some editing down during the second half, it really drags.
Game 30: Half Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy - 3h50m
# Lots of fun! Though, the concept probably would have went stale if I tried to go down all the different paths.
Game 31: Amnesia: Memories - ~3h
# One path complete. God, getting the Good End is stupidly difficult without a guide.
Game 32: DanganRonpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - ~17h
# Interesting, but not as good as the main games.
Game 33: Persona 4 Dancing All Night - 8h07m
# Good for Persona 4 fans, okay for everyone else.
Game 34: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 9h09m
# Fun! I like it way better than the original.
Game 35: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 9h12m
# Good, and not as overly difficult as I thought it'd be.
Game 36: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 7h34m
# Great fun. The ending was perfect.
Game 37: Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed - 7h41m
# Getting the 95 stars was difficult, but I feel like a better player now :p
Game 38: Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax - ~1h
# It's not bad, but nothing really special either.
Game 39: You Must Build A Boat- 5h40m
# Really great for commutes on my phone.
Game 40: Saya no Uta - ~4h
# That was... interesting.
Game 41: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 21h13m
# Whew, it's done. Didn't like it too much overall.
Game 42: Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ - ~8hr
# Victor's path complete. I'm surprised about the writing quality, honestly.

Currently playing:
Dragon Quest Heroes

Next up:
Disgaea 5
Etrian Odyssey IV

Midn1ght

Update :

Game #20: Thomas Was Alone
2BNBtqE.png

Rating: 7/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Mike Bithell, Curve Digital
Already played it PC a while back but grabbed it on PS4 for 2€. The concept is simple but effective and the music is absolutely brilliant. There's also more than just little blocks moving around, there's a nice story to it and it's quite an achievement in my opinion to give so much personality to such simple entities. Good work !

Main Post

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Game #60: Dear Esther: 1.1 hours
Like a lot of modern art, Dear Esther certainly looks/sounds pretty and is well produced, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at. At first it didn't really grab me but after about 10 minutes the story fragments did start to get their hooks in me and I wanted to find out more. Night well spent.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Nothin' like fighting games played on the easiest setting ta quickly pad out your beaten game count! This time around I cheesed VF4: Evo and VF: 10th Anniversary!

Games Beaten: 41 / 52
Total Playtime: 315 hours, 27 minutes

01 - 26
27 - ??

It's a little disingenuous to say that beating arcade mode means you've beaten VF4EVO, especially considering how expansive that game's single player campaign is. Surely you didn't skip Quest mode?

Synth

It's a little disingenuous to say that beating arcade mode means you've beaten VF4EVO, especially considering how expansive that game's single player campaign is. Surely you didn't skip Quest mode?

At what point in Quest Mode would you consider the game complete though? Because I played VF4Evo's quest mode for a looooooong time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
No worries! I played through a good chunk of quest mode years ago! Sure I never beat it because I'm trash at fighting games but I got sorta somewhat far along! Besides how many fighting games even have a quest mode? I think its fair ta beat a fighting game by going through its main mode (arcade like ya would in say... an actual arcade). An for the sake of these thread challenges I'm not above playing on easiest settings, using cheats, NG+, etc.! The ones I've beaten this year and last are by an large games I've played through "properly" at least once if not many times before (I dun get many new games these days sadly)!

Onyar

Original Post

18 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC) - 14/10/15 (81 hours)
Just one of the best games in this generation. Almost perfect in every sense, maybe it fails with the combat and the controls of the character, but the other good points are so good that this flaws are simply almost forgotten overall. 10/10. Recommened for everyone.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Second post of mine. This is for games #31 - #52 and perhaps beyond.

First Main Post is over there for games #1-#30

header.jpg

Game #31 Unium on Steam. 100% complete.

This game awarded me for making a single line. I felt quite accomplished. Joke aside, it's a basic puzzle mechanic to make each puzzle a single colour (white or black), all with a single long line. I wanted to like it, as it is rather competent of a mechanic and there is a large amount of fan-made levels to get, but I never fully enjoyed my time with it and simply used it as a way to kill time, despite hoping it would get better with more challenging stages.

7lI1Pgj.jpg

Game #32 Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for PC. Story complete.

Despite a love for the franchise and having bought the title when it was released on PS1, I never could push myself to complete it back then. Primarily this was due to me not caring about Jill in this story line and my enjoyment of the Resident Evil style constantly being derailed by Nemesis. He was never a sense of paranoia to me, but rather a "him again" and wish I could just take my time.
Beating the game now made me realise I never gave the game a fair chance, as I focused on one aspect that I didn't care for while ignoring a lot of the things I did quite care for. Increased number of enemies, more detailed environments, 180* turn, some of the random people one comes across in the city, and the side-narrative.

I'm glad to have finally put this one to rest and embraced the charm of what it offered, even if I still consider Code Veronica really the third main story in the franchise.

qw30Blj.jpg

Game #33 Until Dawn for PS4. Story completed several times.

The horror game for those who like to scream at characters in horror movies for doing something stupid.

As an adventure game, choosing the actions of several characters and causing different events to happen and offering replay value through that, it's easily one of the best in my mind. Whether I try to kill everyone or save everyone, always some little moment that surprises me that I did not encounter in one of my several previous playthroughs and I love it for that.
It has it's faults. As a horror story it plays a bit too close to it's genre, and the amount of endings is not quite as robust as marketing may lead some to believe, but it got me quite immersed in what was going on and with each character. Even when I played it a second or third time trying for different things, I could always pretend it's just like a remake of a 70s horror movie in the 90s, mostly the same, but different events, still good all the way through.

Makes me wish Supermassive Games would get the Halloween or Friday the 13th license and give it this treatment.

header.jpg

Game #34 An Imp? A Fiend! on Steam. Completed story.

If You Must Win This Game was a tribute to classic ZX Spectrum/Amiga platformers, this feels like a tribute to the attempts at making such games early on in the following generation of titles where technology had improved, but game design hadn't fully caught up yet to what was now offered.

It's not a bad game, it's just not a very special or great game either. An action platformer where you must fight enemies, wall jump and platform to get keys or hit a switch, in an open map for order of one's choice, just stuck in a world without well designed (not bad however) layouts for fighting or platforming. Stuck with outdated "talk to this person, find item, find place to put item" mechanic with very little clear instruction of where to go.
Moments where I cared for it. A Super Meat Boy-esque portion of a factory, buzzsaws and all. Most moments where I wish I could just avoid the enemies all together or had a teleport to a central location mechanic.

It wasn't bad for how cheap it was, but there are so many titles in this style that do it so much better, I don't see much point to playing it.

header.jpg

#Game 35 Hexcells Infinite on Steam. Completed all puzzles. Able to stop addiction and uninstall the game.
Technically I beat this one earlier this year, but I only put it down for good and feel a sense of "I'm done with this game", in the form of satisfaction.

Hexcells is my favourite puzzle series on Steam. A game that will remind many of Minesweeper in that you are given clues as to what to mark and what blocks to remove via the numbers around. No random guessing is required, though it can feel that way until you figure something out, and a game design that never demands you go in a rush and thus can relax or stress as much as you want in figuring it out.
Infinite is the toughest game in the series, having treated 1 as the tutorial and 2 as the "now understand on how to do it with less clues and/or larger scale", but also the easiest thanks to the 999,999+ include stages that are located as part of a "random" seed and are never too complicated because they weren't designed by someone's hand.

Infinite also comes with the much appreciated improvement of being able to close the stage and return without losing the entire progress. Other subtle improvements help a lot to make this the most refined version of the game.

I spent at least a 100 hours across each of the three games, and each time I had good fun figuring it out. Especially the early stages where what I once thought was tough, became quite the breeze as I knew what I was doing the second or third time through. Yet not once did I ever do the stages purely by memorisation of what to remove or what image was formed, as unlike Picross it's not a matter of knowing what puzzle is formed.

rmcyIxj.jpg

Game #36, #37, #38 Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, Warped for PS1 100% or higher completion on 1 and 2, story mode on Warped.

While I consider titles such as Mario 64, Spyro, and others of that era to be better games, I still feel as though Crash 1 and 2 (Warped less so), to be better showings of turning the ideas of those 2D games into a world of 3D geometry. Moving in one direction, able to try for pixelated perfect jumps, and a healthy amount of memorisation (though not demanded on standard stages). Other titles expanded into their own area, while this served as a step between the two, and perhaps better than Super Mario 3D Land did for a similar basis.

The design that went into Crash Bandicoot 1 remains one of my favourite development stories. From research and making use of all the tricks of the Playstation 1 hardware, to subtle mechanics such as giving more boxes for life gain if the player is dying more often, to how it would render and keep in memory what it had to show at just that moment. Well worth reading http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/ if you are at all interested in game design.
What I came to appreciate most in my recent replays was something I missed when I was much younger. How well these games lead the player into what is to come and show, not tell, as tutorials. An early level can show you boxes to smash, a weird grey box you can't smash later on, a pit that is shallow yet will slow you down so best to jump over it before pits that will kill, and so forth. Nothing comes as a surprise as everything is showcased ahead of time for you to get used to the idea before it happens with few exceptions (gems). That's some good level design.

I greatly enjoyed my time with 1 and 2, even as I found Crash might catch oddly on geometry and that caused me to slow down or fall to my death on moving platform sections, and my thumbs hurt from the Sony D-Pad. I always felt I could complete a stage and get all the gems.
Warped on the other hand, I feel lost a bit of what made me enjoy the first two titles. Increased vehicle sections, which I already didn't care for. Less emphasis on platforming, instead more on getting through enemies. Time trials for a game that didn't feel as though speed running would be all that fun (to me). A title that felt like they had no more ideas for the series and were ready to move on.

header.jpg

Game #39 Tengami on Steam. 100% Completion
An interactive art exhibit of a Japanese art style combined with the mechanics of a digital pop-up book made this a welcomed experience as a worthwhile small title.

Pop out more here.

header.jpg

Game #40 Xeodrifter on Steam. 100% Map and Items.

As small titles go I had fun with it to be sure, enough to collect every item and health pick up, but I never felt like it was more than a small title for a portable experience (which it was made for on 3DS). Fun for a tiny Metroid like title, but nothing special.

Use the clicking item to find Info here.

untitled-1odu2n.jpg

Game #41 Treasures Of The Deep on PS1. Story completed. All creatures captured.

While the title has not aged gracefully, it's core game play mechanics of grabbing each and every creature or treasure I see so that I could buy more items to do it all over again, was more than enough to entertain me all the way through and wishing for a modern sequel. Buy if you loved the Fulton in Metal Gear Solid V and want a whole game of that, but underwater.

Dive to read more here.

untitled-2lryo8.jpg

Game #42 OverBlood for PS1. Story completed.

Presented to me as a Survival Horror, but executed as an Adventure game in 3D geometry, OverBlood is a killer b experience of poor design, weak writing, and melodramatic dialogue, that I couldn't help but love and laugh at.

A bit more about sci-fi missteps here.

untitled-1ferdt.jpg

Game #43 MYST on PC. Story completed.

It's MYST. A competent, classic, perhaps genre defining adventure game for many that I now feel accomplished for having completed.

Press a button to read more here.

untitled-1a7o94.jpg

Game #44 Oh! Cube for iOS. All puzzles completed.

It's Picross 3D on mobile devices. Good fun, though never challenging.

A bit more blocks to remove to see the whole picture here.

untitled-1giso5.jpg

Game #45 Globulous on iOS. All puzzles completed and best scores achieved.

It's Tetrisphere, but not, for copyright reasons. A puzzle title where one slowly removes sections of a shell away until the object hidden in the sphere can break free by sending down Tetris pieces to match up and remove all linked shapes. Good simple fun.

Drop a L block here for more.

untitled-1vpbmt.jpg

Game#46 Bloodborne on PS4. Story and DLC completed twice with two different weapon styles.

King's Field, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, now Bloodborne, it's Gothic horror where mistakes can make any enemy a killer and I love it so for it's frantic and upfront change to the combat. I'm glad I bought a PS4 to experience it.

Stab here for more.

untitled-1jezlb.jpg

Game #47 Shadow Complex on PC (yay!). 100% Story, weapons, achievements completed.

I can't tell you much about the story other than attempted coup against the United States, but then I don't need to. It was justification for game play and that's all I needed. It's music and sound were unremarkable originally, and a bit lackluster as not improved now free from XBLA size restrictions, but the game play was a joy and that's all that mattered here to explore and backtrack with new items.

Hidden here is more information.

header.jpg

Game #48 Squarecells for Steam. 100% Puzzles solved.

From the makers of Hexcells comes Squarecells. Taking similar mechanics from it's predecessor this Picross meets Minesweeper gave me the same sense of accomplishment when I figured out each and every puzzle with no guessing ever required (though still done until I figured it out a few times).

The clue to more of how I view it is here.

header.jpg

Game #49 Batman Arkham Origins on Steam. Story completed.

While I enjoyed the game and obviously care a lot about it, but it's lack of challenge and various glitches means I'll never get a 100% in-game or achievements as I did for Asylum and City (twice for both with PS3 versions played) and I'll leave it incomplete with no desire to ever do New Game + or those left over achievements.

It's a glitch here
You can also read a bit more here.

untitled-1ffy97.jpg

Game #50, #51, #52 Onimusha Trilogy on PS2. Story completed for all.

I had some issues and faults with the trilogy, be it what has not aged well or "puzzles" that did not feel like they belonged before they figured out what they wanted from the game series, but nothing to take away from the setting I fell in love with or the story I wanted to see to completion. To block and counter the deadliest foe to trading a simple jewel to making someone happy to doing what little one man can do in a major city under attack, it was grand.

It's not Resident Evil in Japan with demons, it's something more and stands on it's own as a worthwhile experience that shouldn't be missed I believe.

Spend some souls to read more here.

original post

icmfam.gif

50. Transformers: Devastation (PS3);

I have never seen anything Transformers-related in my life, but I can only recommend this game to any action fan, as it is yet another amazing entry in the portfolio of PG. It has a great battle system that's once again very flexible, great to controls and offers lots of variety. Inbetween battles, the racing and platforming is decent and there's many things to discover. Despite the kid-friendly IP, this game is still surprisingly tough to. And just a joy to play in general.

chrixter

Main post

Game 47: Undertale - 5 hours ★★
Didn't get into Undertale the way most others have. Just couldn't connect with the characters or plot and didn't find any of its shenanigans to be all that entertaining or funny. I do appreciate how the game subverts JRPG tropes in several unexpected ways and allows for different playstyles that lead to divergent endings. It just wasn't that enjoyable to me and I have no interest in experiencing multiple playthroughs. Good soundtrack, at least.

Game 48: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - 7 hours ★★ (Won't be counting this one since I technically didn't beat it)
As a huge Ninja Gaiden fan I decided to finally give this game a shot. It's frustratingly difficult for the wrong reasons. Cheapest enemy behavior I've seen in a long time, with almost no predictable patterns and barely any perceptible tells. I could never tell whether my attacks would stagger an enemy, and you can't always dodge out of your combos, adding to the frustration. And Yaiba does shit for damage while his enemies can decimate him in seconds. It's a shame, because for the most part the combat mechanics feel fast, responsive, and pretty satisfying. It's just that everything else is so poorly designed, making for an unenjoyable experience. I have to note that it's the first game on my list that I haven't actually completed as I gave up on the final boss: a frustrating 20+ minute multi-stage affair with zero checkpoints. No thanks. I put up with a lot of bullshit from this game but the final boss is some next-level garbage. This isn't the '80s and the game isn't good enough for me to afford it my patience for that kind of shit.

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21-39
Games 40+

Game 46: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
pic3iirck.jpg

Well. This was a load of old shit. It's a technical marvel, though. The set-pieces are impressive in both scale and detail, and the game looks great for a PS4 game, which is some kind of sorcery. The port is the best of the three, with bugs at an absolute minimum. But holy shit, the moment-to-moment gunplay is just fucking trash. Unlike in the previous games, enemies don't react to getting shot at in the slightest, and they soak up a ton more damage before finally dying. You can unload an entire clip in to the body of one of the regular grunts and they won't so much have flinched. So you're left with this situation where you can barely ever leave cover because someone will still be shooting back at you with undeterred accuracy while you're actively shooting them in the face. And that's compounded by some shocking animations as they're pathfinding around the environment, or just plain having a stupid design (hello "agents" in suits and shades). The writing takes a serious dive compared to the previous games, Cutter is the only new character that wasn't shit, and all the "ahh spiders!" stuff is just laughable. On it's own, with none of the multiplayer and having been through it once before, this isn't fit to lace the boots of the other entries. Incredibly, the game that looks like it's brand new has aged the worst for me.
If you're a DIEHARD Uncharted fan, you might like this

Synth

Original Post

Forza Motorsport 6

Criteria: Completed "Stories of Motorsport".
Time played: 26 hours

A huge step up from FM5, and I actually really liked FM5. I'm not yet decided if this is the best Forza ever (I miss many of the fantasy tracks from FM4), but it's definitely in contention. The races in the rain are the first I've played since PGR4 to actually convincingly seem like they're taking place in the rain, rather than simply overlaying a fancy graphical effect.

The new career mode format is definitely an improvement. I've been somewhat down on FM's career mode's since FM3, as they offered very little sense of progression, and simply felt like an event list random select. FM6 at least provides a sense of progression, starting off with slower everyday cars, and gradually progressing to the fastest car classes available. There's still a huge event list behind it all, but completion of each volume gives the sense that you've actually finished the game (similar to winning the Horizon championship in FH2). This is of course very helpful in regards to this 52 game challenge, as completing all available races in FM5 took almost 2 years. :p

If there was anything I would want to complain about in regards to FM6, it would definitely be the Drivatar difficulties. I felt like I couldn't find a difficulty that was consistently correct for my level of play. I would often find myself out alone at the front of pack with ease early on into a race, and then after effortlessly winning a few races back to back, the game would suggest bumping the difficulty to the next level. Once I did this however, I would often find myself completely unable to win races on the new setting. Despite the longer races (and thank god for that btw, the race length in previous games was ridiculously short), I'd still find myself getting bogged down by the pack long enough for the racers in front to acquire an insurmountable lead. I'm not sure if the increased grid count is something I actually appreciate... especially on tracks like Long Beach where the AI cars effectively create a stationary barricade across the entire track at the first turn. I would really like for Turn 10 to introduce an option for qualifying before a race to determine your starting position, to help avoid these scenarios.

I'll be continuing to play this game probably all the way up to the launch of FM7. The wealth of showcase races is what I imagine I'll be spending most of my time with for now. However, for the purposes of this challenge, I'm counting this as complete now.

Benedict

This is a continuation of my original post on page 5.

45. Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink (8/10)
7,5 hrs, Completed October 12th. 100% Achievements.
Probably the best Hidden Object so far in terms of presentation.
Although the repeating of puzzles is obvious when you played a lot of other Artifex Mundi Game.
The game is also quite short and the end feels abrupt and seems to be lacking something lost in development.
My 7hrs of the games consists of 3 playthroughs of the main game and 1 playthrough of the bonus content.
Highly recommended otherwise though.

46. Metal Gear Solid (PsOne/Vita) 7/10
12-15 hrs? Gave up playing October 12th
This is a game I bought it for PsOne although it was not until this year I tried to finish it on my Vita.
I've started it several times throughout the years, but always stopped playing.
This time I made a bigger effort although I stopped playing when I reached Metal Gear boss battle.
The controls were too difficult to grasp on PS Vita to make it an enjoyable boss fight so I decided that enough is enough and watched the rest of the game on Youtube.
Altogether this game has still it's qualities as a classic although it hasn't aged well regarding it's controls.
Now I can move onto MGS 2 which I also had since the PS2 days but never got around playing properly.
My Vita comes to the rescue once again. Getting closer to MGS V one game at a time...

47. PICROSS e2 (N3DS) 6/10
17 hrs 5 minutes. Started September 6th. Finished playing October 17th.
A bit of a letdown in the series. Many of the puzzles felt uninspiring and the Micross idea is tedious and boring, making most of the minipuzzles just pointless.
There is also no mention or history about the original artist, which I find a bit insulting. Hoping for an improvement in e3.

48. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart. (PC) 6/10
8 hrs including idling. 12/15 Achievements. Finished November 5th.
Another Hidden Object game but this was taking it's toll on me. A bit tiring sometimes with the tempo and some furiating HO parts that were occuring too often. There are better games in the genre.

49. Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call (PC) 8/10
7 hrs including idling. 27/29 Achievements. Finished November 15th
This is a big improvement over the first part in the series.
Well put together story with a right balance between story, puzzles and hidden objects.
Might go back and try for the last two acheivements. Nice graphics and sound/music.

50. Lara Croft Go (iOS) 6/10.
Finished December 22nd.
Played through the complete game and collected all the relics and gems.
This was such a big disappointment after playing Hitman Go.
Tedious puzzles and a secondary non-engaging collectathon made this a boring experience.
Was looking forward to an atmospheric game with roots in the first three TR-games but it was such a let-down.
Nice graphics and music, but when the basic concept of the game is so flawed, those things doesn't matter.

51. Pokemon Picross (N3DS) 4/10
8 hrs. Started December 12th. Reached area 7.
Nintendo massacres the Picross concept with this pay-to-win game. Everything that would make this game good is hidden behind a paywall.
My interest in Pokemon is also quite low, so to have them and all their "powers (cheats)" makes it not better.
Their powers just lessen the main idea whats great about picross games.
Was not expecting much of this game but was still surprised by the new evil ways of Nintendo.
Might try and endure a bit longer to see some more of the picross-puzzles in area 9.

52. Out There: Omega Edition (iOS & Android) 10/10
49/57 achievements
This has to one of my favorites this year so I'll put it as my 52nd game as it's also one of my most played. I'll continue to come back to this game now and then.
Relaxing but sometimes annoying, as it should be with this kind of games.
Wonderful art-design and soundscapes.

53. Candy Crush Saga (iOS) 8/10
A lot of people hate these kind of games, but I find them really fun and a good time-waster. I started playing this game just after I had a eye-surgery.
The big and bright colours made it easy and made time go quicker while I was stuck in bed.
Although it might be time to stop playing now, there's always Candy Crush Soda ;).
I've reached level 737 in the main world and level 120 in the Owl-world. Never bought anything in the game. Don't feel bad playing these games, enjoy yourselves instead.

Synth

Original Post

Remember Me
header.jpg

Criteria: Standard game completion
Time played: 8 hours

A bit of a cliché at this point, but true none the less... Remember Me isn't a very memorable game. There's very little I can say in the game's favour in regards to gameplay. The combat engine is incredibly simple, almost like if Batman in the Arkham games lacked a counter, and was reliant on vaulting the enemy or simply dodging away in order to avoid attacks. You can "build" your combo list by dropping individual attacks into combo slots... but I think I only had 4 or 5 of the combo rows to work with throughout the game. I just created one for each type of effect I wanted (damage, healing, cooldown) and left it at that really. Traversal is the standard Uncharted/Tomb Raider affair.. however unlike with those games, I didn't get the feeling that I had any idea what I was actually traversing towards. The game's overlay would highlight stuff for me to jump towards, and eventually that'd always lead me where I wanted to go. With these overlays removed, I'd assume the game would be practically impossible, as what you can and can't traverse would become very much a case of trial and error.

So far, this probably reads as though I hated my time with this game, and I had another Knack on my hands... but that honestly wasn't the case. The game just so happens to be fucking beautiful.. which to be truthful was pretty much the sole reason I purchased it. Much like Bioshock Infinite, this is a game that is carried almost entirely by its setting. The game has a rather simple (and largely forgettable) story, however it does have an interesting portrayal of how the memory alterations are carried out, allowing the player to rewind through a person's memory, and then alter a few key aspects to cause a different scenario to play out, which then becomes the target's new recollection of that event. This is by far the most interesting aspect of the game, and I feel that had this been more of a focus, in a way similar to their follow-up Life is Strange, and the game wasn't filling the majority of its time with typical AAA fare that's been done better countless times before, then this game would have been much better off for it. I did however have some issue with the results of these memory modifications, as the characters can have an event from a very long time ago be changed, then seemingly fill in all the blanks to reconcile up to the position they're in today, with seemingly no contradictions with reality having any significant effect. This seemed to be rather strange considering that memory modification is apparently a very mainstream thing at this point, and so questioning such things (or at least keeping something factual to remind yourself with) would seem like something most people would do before taking drastic actions based on their recollections. I'm probably overthinking it though... .Funnily enough, this qualm I have with the memory alteration outcomes is probably the thing I'm going to remember most about this game.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 40
Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2
PC, 12ish hours

Disappointing. But not the worst thing ive played. It seems so paper thin and unfinished though. It would be a shame if this were to go down as the last Castlevania.

Oreoleo

Been playing too many games! Haven't posted in this thread in forever. I have a couple more games I've finished I'll save for another post at the end of the month and do all my Halloween game write ups at once :)
---

Main Post

31. Goldeneye 64 - 5ish Hours
I got the nostalgia bug and hooked my N64 back up which inevitably led to playing Goldeneye for the first time in about a decade. Beat every level except the 2nd bonus level on secret agent. It took a little time to get the hang of the controls again, with the way look and move are split between the analog stick and c-buttons, but at the end of the day this is still the classic it's always been.

32. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - 12ish Hours
So.. THIS is the game that made everyone hate first-person platforming. I'd never played the original Turok in my youth but the precision platforming and labyrinthine design of the stages are two sore spots 19 years on. Overall though I found it to be a fun challenge in a way modern shooters aren't anymore.

33. Star Fox 64 - 1.75 Hours
Played through it twice, beat the "real" Andross and got a few medals for doing well on a couple levels. I still love this game and could still play the hell out of it today if I wasn't so distracted with so many other games. Great for score attacking.

34. Super Mario 64 - 7.25 Hours
It's funny how much smaller this game feels these days. What was more surprising to me was how much I noticed the level design kinda goes off the deep end about halfway through the game. Once you get through the basement stages and up to the second floor everything starts to feel a little less fun and well developed. In order to skip the later stages I did the backwards long jump glitch to get up the endless stairs with only ~55 stars for the first time, so that was exciting! I started playing with the intention of getting all 120 stars but after 75 or so and seeing the remainder being in Wet-Dry World, Tick-Tock Clock etc, I kinda lost interest

35. Torchlight II - 27 Hours
Fun but ultimately meaningless. The gameplay loop is on point and keeps you engaged moment to moment and encounter to encounter, but the loot was rarely exciting and the bosses/monsters I found mostly forgettable. The game was time-consuming the way you can get sucked into a game of Civ for hours on end, but with Torchlight once you come up for air I didn't find a ton of reason or desire to return, which is why it took me 3 years to clear this out of my backlog. Maybe the genre just isn't for me.

36. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - 3.75 Hours
Maybe it's because I haven't played the original in quite a few years at this point, but I wonder why this sequel was so negatively received. Perhaps it was the shorter length or reduced focus on run-and-hide stealth segments. Personally I thought the tight pacing was to the game's benefit as there isn't really a lot to do, mechanically. And I thought the body horror imagery the narrative created was very effective. This is all coming from someone who really, really disliked Dear Esther, too.

37. Rogue Legacy - 21.5 Hours
Finally kicking this one out of the backlog after reaching the final boss shortly after this thing released. The game was great while I was discovering new content but as soon as I was faced with grinding levels to defeat the final boss I lost all interest. So, a fun distraction but little else.

38. Killer is Dead - 6.5 Hours
Games like this are so frustrating. I genuinely enjoyed the combat and gameplay, and of course the style, but cutscenes and presentation are constantly interrupting the action and getting in the way of the game. It never shuts up and lets you enjoy it for more than a few minutes at a time. The side missions seem like total filler considering the core of the game and its such a shame to see resources wasted on that stuff when they could have made the main campaign so much longer or better with additional enemies and environments.

39. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved - 11 Hours
Well it's nice to have the series return to PC in good form after a barebones Retro Evolved port and GW2 being completely MIA. However this time something less tangible seems to be missing. I really adored the simplicity of Geometry Wars 1. Every 10,000 points you got a big-boy gun. 75k and 100k were an extra bomb and life. 1 million was the real milestone and the waves of enemies were generally the same and allowed you to learn them and develop strategies and get better and better. GeoWars2 expanded exponentially with different game modes and more or less all of them were successful, but changes to the core scoring of the game meant Retro Evolved mode was different, and some of that simple exactness of the original was lost. GeoWars3 takes this and runs the concept even further with dozens of different levels, different partner "drones" and a host of tertiary weapons if smart bombs and regular ol' shootin' isn't enough for you. It's still fun and I appreciate the variety in levels and map shapes and the bosses were great too... but the game has all but lost that simplicity and thoughtfulness that GW1 had that made me fall in love with it.

40. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux - 4 Hours
Another entry in the walkabout category, this game was mostly successful in its execution. It goes without saying that it was gorgeous to look at, and the puzzles found a great balance of not being too easy while not being overly cryptic. I liked the subject matter and appreciated that it didn't try to be too sentimental or existential as these types of games sometimes do. I did however find it difficult to keep track of the members of the family in the story and the particulars of how events occurred; the way at least one puzzle is presented made me think something occurred one way and it turned out I had it basically backwards which lead to some confusion on my end that I felt could have been avoided. Overall though it was a very pleasant experience.

41. Driver San Francisco - 7.75 Hours
I've only ever played the original Driver prior to this, and unfortunately it was the nostalgia bug that got me to give in and pick this up on Steam. Honestly it's a fine game and the game has enough positive impressions that I can accept I'm in the minority here but I thought the driving model was terrible and antithetical to the fun the game was trying to create. EVERY CAR handles like a boat, even something small and sporty like a Dodge Neon, until you tap the brake and then it's as though you're driving on ice as the game puts you into a drift you have little control over. Now you're a boat driving sideways. And there was something in the drifting where coming out of it I would oversteer very often and end up drifting in the opposite direction which I had a lot of trouble getting over. On top of that I thought the main mechanic of jumping between cars was overused and broke up the game play in a bad way. The way some of the missions are designed, you'll be forced to CONSTANTLY jump between cars. Like, I just wanna fucking DRIVE don't make me teleport all over the map for 7 hours because some suit who watched a demo for 10 minutes thought it was a neat concept. I think I had negative fun with this game.

Midn1ght

Update :

Game #21: Hotline Miami
YAslhdp.png

Rating: 9/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Dennaton Games, Abstraction Games
I Played that game for almost 30 hours on PC so I couldn't pass on when I saw it on sale on PSN, I just love this game. The gameplay is so fast, so intuitive, the music is amazing and the story pure madness. Genius old school style video game !

Main Post

KillerBEA

Master list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150899273&postcount=983
Small Update

Loadout PS4 2 Hours
Trying too hard to be funny multiplayer centric fustercluck.

Guns, Gore, Cannoli XB1 6 Hours
Zombies + Gangsters + Cannolis = Slightly above side scrolling shooter

Uncharted Drake's Fortune Remastered PS4 8ish Hours
Somehow never managed to have this game spoiled for me, so it was fun finally getting to play it. I really quite enjoyed it, even if the shooting is a little wonky.

Current Count: 25/52

Original post

flRJf6Ml.jpg

52. Life Is Strange (PC)
All episodes completed.

It's fitting that I finish the challenge with a game I started way back in January, and have been visiting every two or three months since. Life Is Strange has been an incredible journey, and though I was a fan of DONTNOD's work on Remember Me a few years ago, I didn't expect anything on the level of Life Is Strange. What originally sounded like a bite-sized episodic adventure turned into something much bigger and more rewarding than nearly anything else I played this year.

The game does have its slight issues here and there, and it would be interesting to see how DONTNOD handle these quirks in a second season (though the story of Max and Chloe, apparently, ends here). But no amount of slightly clunky dialogue or odd game design choices can outweigh the outstanding plotting and well-realized characters, not to mention the trademark art direction we've come to expect from the French developer. Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch in particular deserve credit for bringing Max and Chloe to life; I loved them like I loved no other game characters this year, perhaps any year.

Video games too often resort to the same genres and the same motifs. Life Is Strange is proof that even a smaller developer with a limited budget can create something fresh and inventive that also sells well--at over a million copies sold, it's clear the game is a success. Life Is Strange is the kind of game I want to see more of.

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21-39
Games 40+

Game 47: Life is Strange
11892143152387623039_fcp34.jpg

I picked up the season pass before we all knew how fantastic this series was going to turn out, so this has been one of the rare times in gaming where blindly pre-purchasing has paid off in spades. Always interesting and engaging, Life is Strange tells a moving tale of friendship, loss, and finding out who you are. Dontnod have tackled several topics that few other developers have ever dared to, and handled them with absolute class, giving the player plenty of opportunities for quiet reflection. It does it a little hyperactively, quickly jumping from one hot topic to the next, and some of the dialogue is a little awkward, but the whole thing is an emotional rollercoaster that doesn't ease up until it's all done. It's refreshing to see a developer that isn't Telltale tackle the modern adventure game, and even better to see them show the veterans how it should be done. Brilliant, brilliant game.
If you like Telltale's The Walking Dead, you'll like this

Games 1 - 20
Games 21-39
Games 40+

Game 47: Life is Strange
11892143152387623039_fcp34.jpg

I picked up the season pass before we all knew how fantastic this series was going to turn out, so this has been one of the rare times in gaming where blindly pre-purchasing has paid off in spades. Always interesting and engaging, Life is Strange tells a moving tale of friendship, loss, and finding out who you are. Dontnod have tackled several topics that few other developers have ever dared to, and handled them with absolute class, giving the player plenty of opportunities for quiet reflection. It does it a little hyperactively, quickly jumping from one hot topic to the next, and some of the dialogue is a little awkward, but the whole thing is an emotional rollercoaster that doesn't ease up until it's all done. It's refreshing to see a developer that isn't Telltale tackle the modern adventure game, and even better to see them show the veterans how it should be done. Brilliant, brilliant game.
If you like Telltale's The Walking Dead, you'll like this
Just wanted to take a moment and thank you for writing your impressions/reviews/thoughts on all these games. I love your "If you liked _____ you will like this" format!

Ceallach

Game #41 Minecraft Story Mode: Episode 1
PC, 3 hours or so
Cute Telltale game telling a pretty typical story but done well. Interesting to see what life "inside" of Minecraft is like. Great one for the kiddos

jiggles

Banned
Just wanted to take a moment and thank you for writing your impressions/reviews/thoughts on all these games. I love your "If you liked _____ you will like this" format!

Thanks, that's much appreciated! I don't really write this stuff with an audience in mind, so it's a nice surprise to see someone actually reading the entries.

I'm not such a big fan of the format any more, though. It's difficult to compare every game you play with another as a recommendation. Some of the "links" end up being so obvious that it hardly feels worthwhile to state. Particularly for huge franchises or sequels (like "if you like Mario, you will like this Mario game"). And if I didn't like the game, it's even harder. But I've made my bed, so I'll stick with it.

marcincz

It's been a long time from my last update.

Game #30 : Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
Txaunaa.jpg

Rating: ★★★☆☆ | Platform: PS2 | Beaten: 23/08/2015 | Time: 07:40 h

I like adventure games. Tomb Raider or especially Uncharted are one of my favourite. Indy is a great hero and movie, so I had hope the game will be fantastic too. Unfortunately Staff of Kings is like Indiana Jones 4. Average and nothing more. I had big troubles with aiming in this game.

Game #31 : God of War: Ascension
7cvHerW.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ | Platform: PS3 | Beaten: 30/08/2015 | Time: 13:22 h

I've played in 3 previous GoW. Very decent games. However Ascension was first part where I felt little boring and nervous. Don't know why, but I didn't enjoy it too much, like previous parts. Maybe sometimes too many isn't good for me.

Game #32 : Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
zXDA5lD.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: 09/10/2015 | Time: 55:50 h

No joking. I love MGS. From PS1 era this is one of my favourite games.
Prologue completely enchanted me. Music, story, escaping. I am this gamer who loved it. After it...damn that was mediocre MGS. Open world games aren't my cup of tea. Of course many missions was good. Other ones was brillant and some was poor. Too many repetitive and boring chapters. 157 sub missions? No, no, no. I gave it 4/5 only because it's MGS and only because 3 or 4 last chapters saved this game for me. Sorry Kojima and other fan of MGS. This is the biggest disappointed of 2015 for me.
One more thing. Music is brillant, just brillant.

Game #33 : Beyond: Two Souls
hcgSTvm.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ | Platform: PS3 | Beaten: 13/10/2015 | Time: 09:50 h

I like style of Quantic Dream. HR is splendid game. Fahrenheit good, so finally I grab Beyond. Very moving story. Childhood of Jodie was a real hell for her. Few times almost cried with Jodie. Very good game, but not so good like Heavy Rain.
Just one more thing. Graphics in this game is a masterpiece. Amazing and incredible. I think it's one of the beautiest games on PS3.

Game #34 : Uncharted: Golden Abyss
zYJ5xvz.jpg

Rating: ★★★★☆ | Platform: PSV | Beaten: 20/10/2015 | Time: 10:11 h

Uncharted on Vita? Hell yeah! New adventures. New opponents and new...lady. :)
Superb game and fantastic form of Bend Studio. Sometimes using of functions of Vita was very nervous, but otherwise brillant - painting by using coal, for example. Only regret that Sony doesn't work on GA2 on Vita. It's real shame.

Original Post

WH3qkFm.jpg

22:45h. 75% of the game complete. This is possibly the finest 2D platformer I've ever played (I must say though I didn't play DKC Returns) but boy, was it hard. It was probably the hardest game I've beat this year and that's counting Bloodborne. When I finally killed the final boss I audibly sighed.

There are lots of millimetric jumps and DK has quite an unforgiving hitbox - but unlike lots of other famously difficult platformers, TF is never unfair or unnecesarily punishing. I won't say this game is one of the reasons you should get a WiiU - but if you already have one, you would be punishing yourself if you didn't get it.

Updated OP

Original post

akvO54u.jpg

53. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS)
All songs completed on Normal in Button Mode with A grade or higher. Also, I beat Miku at Mikuversi TAKE THAT MIKU.

Project Mirai DX raises a very important question: why isn't Hatsune Miku always in chibi form? The Miku gang are all way cuter when they're chibi. The music's better, too--more upbeat pop and dance numbers, more cute ballads, even some jazzy numbers and a shibuya-kei track that incidentally lets you dress Miku in a 60s stewardess outfit.

Yes, it's less complex and less difficult than Project Diva f, though I think a lot of that has to do with the easier-to-read gameplay. Between IA/VT and Project Mirai, I think the symbols-on-a-line style of rhythm game might be the easiest for me to handle, largely because I only have one area to watch and can read ahead easier than, say, Project Diva's generous sprinkling of symbols or Persona 4: Dancing All Night's outer ring. Incidentally, Project Mirai DX has also given me extra evidence that Dancing All Night's charts really aren't very good. It's so nice to have charts that actually match up with the music again!

I've only just begun to dig into some of the "extra" stuff that apparently makes up the majority of the game's content. I've learned how to play Reversi, and I've discovered that Meiko destroys me at Puyo Puyo. (This does not bode well for the copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris I bought in Japan.) But already I'm way more into the hangout stuff than I ever was in Project Diva f/F. It's the chibi thing again--all the characters are so gosh darn adorable. All of this makes Mirai DX my favourite Hatsune Miku game by far.

Using this post for continuation of my list, kinda a bit lazy to clean up all those words just to shorten it up. I'm done for 2015.

Game 43: Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4) - 22hour 14min COMPLETED
The Knightfall Protocol made this the second best in the series when it could've been first in ranking.

They got all the awesomeness from the Arkham City and improved upon them plus the addition of the fun to ride and battle with Batmobile. Visually stunning and solid performance all throughout. The story started out strong but ended up weak.

Game 44: Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (PS Vita) - 7hour 54min COMPLETED
A fun but super easy ninja game.

The game looks really clean visually and Im assuming at native resolution. Performance is a solid 30FPS. Story is not really all that interesting and it does the dumb thing of suddenly introducing characters out of nowhere. Controls are pretty smooth aside from when using the grappling hook. Maps arent that varied, the same goes for the missions but the enemy placement is random enough to make it fun play through the repetitiveness.

Its not a must buy but if you're looking for a stealth vita game, this aint that bad.

Game 45: The Witcher 3 (PS4) - 2days 7hours 28min COMPLETED
My GOTY 2015, this one.

I actually had to take a break in between for this one, its a pretty big there. Once I came back to it though, everything flowed back in. The atmosphere, the music, the combat, the world, the side missions, the choices and characters. All top notch. The worst offense for TW3 is the traversal aspect. Riding Roach is annoyingly slower than expected plus the fact he's rather hard to control at times, fast travel by finding the closest signposts and boat riding is dull. Swimming is also pretty clunky.

Recommended, totally recommended. Again my GOTY 2015 for strong gameplay and a great story. Good balance right here.

Game 46: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 (PS Vita) - 12hours 24min
I got Vert, she's a bit better.

Game 47: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) - 74hours 18min COMPLETED
A solid game with a liquidy story.

Visuals are top notch, solid performance, no noticeable drops in performance and really grand graphics. Controls were easy to grasp, the only time times it got problematic was when I was using items and when you're choke holding someone, could be an easy mistake that could cost you alot. There were also times where I wanted to pick up a body but got their weapon instead. Story is pretty lack luster compared to previous MGS, voice acting was top notch in the MG-esque kinda way.

Recommended if you're either into actiony shooters or stealth games, this covers both splendidly.

Game 48: Broken Age (PS Vita) - 11hours 21min COMPLETED
Oh my god, that final puzzle!

The game is full of charm, from its art style to its characters to its puzzles and overall a fun game full of puzzles that arent that hard to connect. The vita version however is marred by loading times every time you go into another area, huge emphasis on every time. Plus, the vita version seems to have a few NPCs being noticeably lower res compared to the MCs of the game, if more so during dialogue scenes, the camera zooms on the NPC.

Issues aside, its a fantastic puzzler but the vita version seems to be the worst, it performs well enough during gameplay though. If you can handle loading times of up to 10+ seconds during area transitions then sure, get it on vita. If not, get it elsewhere.

Game 49: Nova-111 (PS Vita) - 7hours 15min COMPLETED
I don't think I've ever played a game this fun, polished in terms of level designs, art, sound and gameplay and just fantastic to play through till this one.

Loved the art design, the enemy designs and puzzles and levels. They give you plenty amount of tools to solve the challenges the game throws at you via enemies or puzzles. The sound design is also top notch and fun to hear all the zips, thwump, explosions and other sound effects.

I did not like the dialogue being shown top right, while it didn't block, it sure stayed longer than necessary. Plus the time mechanic has no way to end other than waiting. And the biggest flaw of the game is the slowdowns, dropping well below 20fps. Thankfully those moments happens a few times and so the game is mostly smooth. This issues rears its head when there enemies off in the shadowy background of the level.

Its a top notch game that I'd recommend any day. Fun, visually charming with its bouncy animations plus clever puzzle designs. Get it now.

Game 50: The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4) - 8hours 20min COMPLETED
God damn, this game made me feel emotional and guilty.

Rushed through episodes 1 and 2 seeing as I completed them on vita and thanks to +, I got to finish the whole season. Performance is solid throughout and had no issues at all throughout gameplay. Story is intense stuff and the only time I've ever felt this guilty over my choices and outcomes is when I played TLOU. I will have to say, as a PnC, its sadly lacking in puzzle but makes up with a solid story, characters and outcomes.

Definitely a play if you liked TWD season 1 or TLOU in terms of story and characters but in terms of gameplay, it doesnt really feel like a step up from season 1, as far as I remember.

Game 51: Fallout 4 (PS4) - 4days 3hours 20min COMPLETED
Finished it after 6 weeks. Time well spent. All without a freaking patch by the way.

Its a definite step up from the last gen Fallout games, with the better performances, visually nice art style, locations and gmeplay improvements plus addictively fun settlement building. There's also a multitude of crafting fitting to whatever need you want filled in the game. While the game is definitely addictive and fun to plow through, the main storyline and sidequests were all so ho hum to experience.

Definitely get this on whatever platform you've got.

Game 52: King's Quest Episode 1 (PS4) - 6hours 34min COMPLETED
It was pretty obvious, Graham was gonna get betrayed.

This was fun, adventure, puzzle game. With a great looking art style, great jokes and fairly straightforward puzzles. I didn't have any issue with the game at all, surprisingly. There were minor stutters but overall, an excellent episode one. It's also got a unique way of telling a story, from future Graham.

If you liked Tales from Monkey Island, you'll definitely like this. Its just like TfMI but with actual choices that affect your playthrough.

Game 53: Grow Home (PS4) - 5hours 20min COMPLETED
Climb on, my wayward bud.

It's got the visuals harkening back to ps1, of being blocky looking, yet being charming in a way. The robot walks like a drunk but climbs like a pro. And boy, was climbing just the best part of the game, especially that you can climb anything. Besides climbing, you are also to grow plant like structures to reach certain milestones of the game. You can either make a path that helps you climb faster or block your own way.

The biggest problem with the game is noticeable frame drop, it can go from very smooth to noticeably choppy in a matter of seconds. Other than that, fun lil game to spend time on.

Its like SoTC climbing but a relaxed version of it, no bosses or battles. Just tuning out to climbing and growing.

Game 54: Styx: Master of Shadows (PS4) - 19hours 25min COMPLETED
A fun and hard as balls stealth game.

The stealth aspects of the game all work well enough, killing, hiding bodies, hiding under tables, baiting enemies, etc. Works decently and enemy awareness works fine too. The level design was great, being able to sneak through mostly everywhere through small holes or climbing a wall hook, fun stuff. The story is interesting enough but the writing was pretty stilted and most of the time, bad. There are however some good scenes and dialogue in what is mostly muddy writing and cutscenes. Doesnt help that lip sync is horrid all the time though.

Platforming is crap and possibly the worst aspect of the game. Climbing for the most part works great but when you're jumping, landing and grabbing ledges, its at time annoying and rage inducing to die thanks to missing a ledge grab or wonky jumping physics.

It could've been a hell of game if the writing was better, the cutscenes weren't awkward to look at and the jumping physics was fixed, hopefully the sequel addresses all that.

If you actually want a stealth where action and combat is the bottom of options and stealth takes top priority, this is the game you have to play. Dont come for the story, stay for the stealth.

Game 55: Uncharted 1 Remastered(PS4) - 6hours 14min COMPLETED
Still a fun lil adventure movie game to experience.

The game looks good but it does show its age, compared to the other remastered Uncharted games. The gunplay is serviceable, not satisfying though. The cover system is janky at most times, rolling could get you stuck to a wall and kill you. The story is enjoyable, from start to end.

Game 56: Uncharted 2 Remastered(PS4) - 8hours 2min COMPLETED
Another Uncharted completed. And more fun than the last one.

Really see why when it comes to favorites of the trilogy, this is the one that is most picked. If you went from U1 to U2, its even more evidently so. The gunplay is tight and feels great to use, the climbing is much, much better. Sound design is much better too. The weapons all feel fantastic and much more impacting than U1's weapon. Melee is improved enough but not to my liking. Then we have the great story, characters, writing and the pacing. Just overall a fantastic little adventure romp that leaps over its predecessor.

A hell of game that anyone with a PS3 or PS4 should play.

chrixter

Main post

#48: Yoshi's Woolly World - 14 hours ★★★★★
Good-Feel delivered GOTY material here. Consistently superb and abundantly creative level design, beautiful patchwork visuals, and wonderfully mellow soundtrack. And Yoshi's core mechanics are the best they've ever been. Just an absolute joy to play from beginning to end. Truly worthy of being in Yoshi's Island's company and easily in my top 10 platformers of all time.

#49: Downwell - 2 hours ★★★
Challenging action roguelike that plays somewhat like a downward shmup. Satisfying gameplay, but the mostly binary color palette sometimes makes it difficult to discern enemies when the action gets hectic.

Ceallach

Game 42
Dragonball Z: Extreme Butoden
Finished story and adventure modes. Fun little fighter, with a seemingly large roster, except not really because 75% of the characters are only strikers. Still good, though with no scaling or split screen I'm not sure its worthy of the Butoden name.

Linkyn

Definitely LTTP for this year, but I thought I'd still jump in. I realise I'm probably not going to manage the 52, at this point, but I mostly want to see how high I can get until the end of the year. Since most of it is a bit behind me, I have no real data on completion times, so this is mostly just for fun.

So far this year, I've beaten:

01) Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
02) Yoshi's Woolly World
03) Splatoon
04) uper Mario Maker
05) The Legend of Zelda
06) Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
07) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
08) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
09) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
11) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
12) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
13) Dragon Age: Origins
14) Dragon Age 2
15) Dragon Age: Inquisition
16) The Witcher
17) The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings
18) Metroid Prime
19) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
20) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
21) Super Mario World

I'm currently on a VC binge, playing through Wind Waker. After that, I suspect I'll turn my attention to some 3D Mario and Resident Evil 4. I have a few more purchases lined up for the coming months, and hopefully, I'll be able to go back and finish Witcher 3.

Nemaides

List of completed games

Only one more to go.

Game 40: Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom- ~3h

Game 41: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland- ~40h

Game 42: Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni - Dai Ni Ya- ~10h

Game 43: Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel- ~3h

Game 44: Train of Afterlife- ~2h

Game 45: Cherry Tree High I! My! Girls!- ~3h

Game 46: Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising- ~25h

Game 47: Genetos- ~1h

Game 48: Raiden- ~2h

Game 49: Raiden IV: OverKill- ~12h

Game 50: Etrian Mystery Dungeon- ~40h

Game 51: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair- ~40h

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21-39
Games 40+

Game 48: Halo 4
1093_gameplay-mechani0koan.jpg

I didn't have high expectations for this going in. Most people will tell you it's one of the weakest games in the series, and when I picked it up on 360, I only did a couple of chapters before calling it quits. If I'm honest, though, I found it to be very good. One of the most enjoyable Halo campaigns I've played. It was well paced and introduced some fun new vehicles to mess around in. Unfortunately, though, while the cutscenes were much better produced, the story they told was trash (how Master Chief can die from being shot, but can safely karate-chop a fucking nuke, I'll never know), and I experienced a massive UI bug at the end that was giving me the completely wrong button prompt to finish the game. Still had a much better time than I did with the first two games, so it was a great first effort by 343 Industries.
If you like Destiny, you might like this

Synth

Original Post

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Halo 4 (Spartan Ops)

Criteria: Complete Campaign.
Time played: ?? hours.

Got this done finally just in time for Halo 5, after multiple years of failing to maintain a stable enough connection to play it through with anyone. I don't know how long this took altogether, but it felt substantially longer than the main Halo 4 campaign did.

Spartan Ops sounds like I fantastic idea on paper... because, really.. it kinda is. Extend the life of a game by adding new weekly episodes, tailored for co-operative gameplay. It's the execution of that idea that brings it all down. The mission are basically 343i's take on Destiny... go here, press this, defend against the ever so predictable enemy onslaught you've just triggered. Thankfully, unlike Destiny, this was in addition to a proper campaign rather than actually being the campaign itself... but in terms of time you'll never get back, it's basically equivalent.

There were a few legitimately good missions around the beginning of the second half of the season, and many of the missions are set in very open areas allowing for different approaches to each battle, but this is more than outweighed by the tedious mission structure that makes up the majority of the chapters. Now that I've been through it all, I can also confirm that the missions themselves don't really ever contain any important story details (which is by far the most interesting thing about Spartan Ops), and so if you're looking to bring yourself up to speed in time for Halo 5, then you may as well just watch the pre-episode cutscenes, and skip all the actual gameplay.

Original Post and Second Post (ran out of space).

Game 50: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Ughhh... I finished this yesterday after dragging myself through it. It wasn't a bad game but I didn't enjoy most of it. I'm so disappointed because people overwhelmingly suggested I play it after being introduced to the Fallout series with Fallout 3 this summer, which I, really, really enjoyed. New Vegas is terrible. The desert lacks variety, the tribal factions feel tacked on, and the NPCs are all lifeless and impossible to feel empathy for. The story sucks too. Really? It all came down to control over the Hoover Dam??

This whole game made me feel disassociated with the Fallout community because they all recommended it but I didn't enjoy it. I liked Fallout 3's story even though everyone said it's stupid. I really do feel that some scientists trying to create a source of clean water in the wasteland is a lot more interesting than factions trying to take over a dam. People also praise the combat in New Vegas but I felt it was exactly the same as 3 aside from the iron sights, which were useless anyways. Everything felt like a fetch quest, especially the Big MT being the worst. There were also a few times where I mistakenly skipped or didn't get to some critical point of the story and so it locked me out of certain missions while I was in the middle of them, that was very frustrating. I don't know if I even want to complete the rest of the DLC or alternate endings. I also encountered the usual bugs with the PS3 version. It would freeze every now and then and a few times it would slow down to 1 frame per second.

I'm still hyped for Fallout 4. I think I can see it going back to a setting more like Fallout 3's with the whole Nuclear Family satire that was missing from New Vegas. I've considered checking out Fallout 1 and 2, but that's another one that the community keeps recommending ad nauseam and you fooled me once with Fallout: NV, I'm not falling for that one. No thank you.

Synth

Original Post

Resident Evil Revelations
header.jpg

Criteria: Standard game completion
Time played: 7 hours

Short but fun. The story was stupid, even by Resident Evil standards, but it was nice to play a recent(ish) Resident Evil that placed more of an emphasis on the atmosphere, rather than presenting itself as a straight up action game. Of course the action that is there is generally not very good... but its the thought that counts.

Going to try out Resident Evil 6, before moving onto Revelations 2. Hopefully I don't end up hating it as much as many people here seemed to.

Original Post

Game 18: Until Dawn (September 2nd) PS4

Extremely happy with this game, nice production values, setting and story with a lot of branching choices. I'm definitely keeping an eye on what's next for Supermassive Games.

15/20

Game 19: The Movies (September 6th) PC
Time played: About 100h

My favorite simulation game, I found out that it was available in the macgamestore and I dived right back in again. It's just easy, fun and enjoyable even after all these years.

17/20

Game 20-21-22: The Heroes Rise Trilogy (September 20th) PC
Time Played: About 12h

The writing was serviceable but the overall story and character were quite good and entertaining even though it falls into the messiah stereotype. Once again the choices were enjoyable (but meaningful enough) and the setting interesting. Their most polished project after Choice of Robots.

15/20

Game 23: Tales From the Borderlands (October 20th) PC
Time Played: 10h

Well after Life is Strange and Game of Thrones I thought that the days of me praising a Telltale game were over, but that was before playing their magnum opus. It's full of fun, smart and interesting dialogues as well as character. The story is easy to get into even for someone completely foreign to the Borderlands universe like me. I Absolutely loved the relationship between Rhys and Fiona and the fact that every secondary character have had enough presence to be properly developed. No to wait until 2018 for the sequel...

18/20

Game 24: Assassin's Creed Rogue: (October 24th) PC

I always loved the AC series and since my PS4 is dead I decided to buy Rogue to feel my annual AC needs. For people like me who value the story elements of the franchise as well as continuity, Rogue is a pretty important part of the franchise which ties together AC3, AC4 and ACU in the past storyline. In the present it feels like they're trying to build something but since I heard that Syndicate isn't really deep in that aspect I guess it'll be for the next one. Regarding the gameplay it's basically AC4 but with enhanced mechanics like the ability to get accosted by an enemy ship and the rifle/grenade launcher. It's definitely a full blown Assassin's Creed game and totally worth your time if you liked Black Flag.

13/20

Game 25: The Legend of Korra (October 25th) PC
Time Played: 4h

I don't know anything about Avatar: the Last Airbender or Korra. I just bought it because it was made buy Platinum Games and it showed. It's awfully repetitive 8 chapters, you unlock your bending powers, there's the run with Naga, the pro bending mini games did bring something fresh though. Even if it's low budget, the gameplay is solid enjoyable and quite hard I thought (played on normal). It looks like Activision has found a great way to expend their potential userbase for licence games. The game is really short but has a good replay value.

14/20

Game 26: Bastion (October 25th) PC
Time Played: 4h

It's been months (years?) since I started to play it, I just played a couple of levels then stop for months before getting back to it. Not really my thing.

11/20

AHA-Lambda

I kept this challenge in mind to complete from last year but haven't actually checked the thread until now that I'm nearing 52! I thought I could simply just list each game, so forgive me but I'm going to dump a big ton of games here! (not including episodes or DLC) I'll keep my comments brief for space =/

Game 1: The Evil Within - 6 January
Highly enjoyed this, not scary but very challenging and satisfying to completel like a very difficult TLOU. Never understood the mixed reception this got =/

Game 2: Mind: Path to Thalamus - 7 January
Beautiful but typical first person puzzler that we've seen quite a lot of by now.

Game 3: Shovel Knight - 20 January
Just a great, fun little platformer :)

Game 4: Framed - 26 January
Pretty cool puzzler that isn't too taxing and has a novel presentation to it. I got it for free, and it lasted me a train journey but at least it kept me from being bored.

Game 5: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - 28 January
It's a typical open world action game that is saved from complete mediocrity by it's effective combat system. Never understood the praise this on got.

Game 6: Grim Fandango - 3 February
I enjoyed the story and it's got bloody great art design but the gameplay is typical of pncs of the era, had to resort to walkthroughs I'm afraid.

Game 7: Resident Evil Remake HD - 9 February
Never played the original or remake of Resi 1 before, had a great time with this! I miss this kind of Resi and I'm glad this was a success and we'll be getting more :)

Game 8: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - 21 February
The story is not quite as good or memorable as it's predecessor and gameplay is more streamlined (not a bad thing imo) but a highly enjoyable adventure game

Game 9: Hotline Miami 2 - 12 March
More Hotline Miami, albeit not as well done. OST is still fucking banging though.

Game 10: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - 21 March
I'm going against the grain here but I felt this was pretty mediocre and is more of what I don't want from Resi.

Game 11: Dying Light - 1 April
Typical open world action game.

Game 12: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - 6 April
Average hack n slash but nothing as bad as the reviews made out.

Game 13: Remember Me - 15 April
Soooooooo dull! Combat has a neat concept behind it but not enough is done with it and plot is so patchy and filled with holes. Great looker if nothing else.

Game 14: Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD - 21 April
Take typical AC and compromise it for handhelds. Garbage.

Game 15: Broken Age - 29 April
Part 1 was promising, but part 2 shat itself in both plot and puzzles.

Game 16: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 10 May
More Wolfenstein, by no means a bad thing :)

Game 17: Not A Hero - 17 May
Fun little 2D cover based shooter, and it also got a couple chuckles from me.

Game 18: Higurashi: Chapter 1 - Onikakashu* - 21 May
Never played a VN before. This was very slow to start with! But it picked up eventually, and is really quite creepy.
*I'm including this as, despite being episodic, it's very lengthy at 8 hours and each episode is a separate purchase.

Game 19: Magicka 2 - 2 June
Magicka but with a more simplistic spell system. Game is still unbalanced to all hell for solo play. Shame cos I love the humour but the gameplay is just a chore.

Game 20: Mortal Kombat X - 7 June
Campaign is effective but not as memorable as its predecessor, largely due to a more convuluted plot.

Game 21: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments - 9 June
Never played any of the Sherlock games before, was really pleasantly surprised! Very interesting adventure title and I have my eye on the next game for 2016.

Game 22: Bloodborne - 22 June
More Souls. I love Souls but I fear they may start to oversaturate this.

Game 23: Batman: Arkham Knight - 29 June
More batman, but I highly enjoyed it, despite a rocky PC launch (I was luckier than most) and some obvious twists and those terrible Riddler challenges.

Game 24: Her Story - 30 June
An interesting experiment if nothing else. Tbh I can't remember too much of it now.

Game 25: Grow Home - 30 June
More of a tech demo/proof of concept than anything really.

Game 26: Ronin - 3 July
So much fun! It's like a harder turn-based version of Gunpoint with a modern samurai theme.

Game 27: Titan Souls - 6 July
Boss rush the game, but still great fun (despite running to the boss after each defeat) as you try to figure out each boss' pattern, weakness and strategy.

Game 28: Ori and the Blind Forest - 11 July
A fun but typical metroidvania with a gorgeous aesthetic, and some really touching moments.

Game 29: Obscure - 16 July
Surprisingly not bad PS2 era Resi clone.

Game 30: Obscure II - 21 July
Ditto.

Game 31: This War of Mine - 23 July
Bleak version of the sims and one that is damn hard!

Game 32: Freedom Planet - 26 July
Reminds me why i don't like Sonic tbh. I find the navigation troublesome when you're going so fast and it never felt like I knew where I was going =/

Game 33: Dark Messiah: Might & Magic - 31 July
Average first person melee action game

Game 34: Valdis Story: Abyssal City - 3 August
Urgh!!! This started off well, another typical but enjoyable metroidvania. But by the second half the difficulty got stupid high (I'm assuming I fucked my build?). Was a fucking pain to finish this!

Game 35: Styx: Master of Shadows - 8 August
Fantastic stealth game! What the last Thief game should have been like!

Game 36: Thief II: The Metal Age - 14 August
Similar to my feelings on the first game; it's easy to see why they are classics (with the huge open levels to explore) but in other ways they haven't aged well at all (later levels are just plain labyrinths and the AI is very poor)

Game 37: Volume - 19 August
Simple but still stealth game that is reminiscent of MGS VR missions. Checkpoint system is one that can be heavily abused, and sometimes has to be, which I feel goes against the spirit of the game.

Game 38: Zombi - 21 August
Zombie FPS + Soulslike design? Yes please! :D
Very tough technically, but this game is an engrossing ride will keep you on your toes throughout

Game 39: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 5 September
Mediocre plot and enough repitition and down time to make Destiny blush. But I just can't hate it cos the core gameplay is just so damn good!

Game 40: Mad Max - 9 September
Average open world action game.

Game 41: Until Dawn - 10 September
If Quantic Dream made a horror game and had someone who could write helming it instead of David Cage.

Game 42: Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 12 September
Like the other Shadowrun games largely in terms of mechanics, but story is not as good as Dragonfall.

Game 43: Soma - 24 September
Maybe my disappointment of the year? Plot loses steam after the early on twist (which is obvious anyway), mechanically is very weak, and it just isn't scary at all!

Game 44: 80 Days - 29 September
An interesting choose your own adventure game, that provides hundreds of individual choices and paths for you to make, allowing different stories and encounters along your journey, with some pretty solid writing. My victory of making it back on the final day, and the tension I felt as I was only one city away from London as I needed to wait on the bank to lend me money, is a moment I won't forget from my gaming this year.

Game 45: The Beginner's Guide - 1 October
Interesting start, then lulls in the middle and I was prepared to write it off as a bit of a disappointment, but then the end of the game comes round with its twist. This is one that leave you thinking about it long after finishing.

Game 46: Undertale - 5 October
Fascinating RPG with great personality, humour, and a novel presmise and combat system. It remembers your choices to a scary degree, and one playthrough simply isn't enough due to this. Couple this with a truly scary final boss encounter that gets Eternal Darkness on you and it's one of the best games of 2015 to me.

Game 47: Transformers: Devastation - 18 October
Who thought this would be good eh? Platinum delivers a bite size helping of Bayonetta-lite. I'm not a Transformers fan but if you like Platinum then definitely jump in.

Game 48: Human Resource Machine - 18 October
I loved World of Goo and could appreciate the themes (if not the gameplay) of Little Inferno but I just couldn't do this. I am crap at programming and even the simple stages of this where too much for me. Walkthorugh was needed =/

Game 49: Broforce - 19 October
So much fun!! XD Contra if it was self aware and with a cast of 80s to modern action movie characters :)
Keeps you hooked from some surprisingly emergent gameplay coming from the destructible terrain, bite sized levels and frequent character unlocks. Last levels are pretty balls hard in places.

Game 50: Life is Strange - 20 October
Another goty contender, and raises the bar for these kind of episodic adventure games. The characters are just so really likable, and the story engrossing, all while quite well handling some dark and heavy themes such as homosexuality, depression and suicide.

Game 51: Tales from the Borderlands - 20 October
Typical Telltale gameplay at this point but it done something very impressive and actually made me give a shit about Borderlands! I'm not going to say I loved it or that it's TT's best work as some have said (TWD S1 and TWAU have it beat imo) but it's really funny and if you like TT's stuff it's worth a punt whether or not you like Borderlands.

Game 52: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - 26 October
To be honest I was not very impressed with this, I hope the other games are better. Story has potential but I don't think I got enough from it, as I didn't do alot of side stuff, and it introduces characters in it I didn't know that I assume are elsewhere in the game. It's an interesting world though and I'm intrigued for the other games. However, my god that combat system is just pure garbage, thank Christ that's not in the other 2 ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom