• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
I haven't beaten a single game this year! Almost to the end of Dark Souls II though. If I beat 5 games this year I'll feel pretty accomplished.

Krafter

Game 26: Bloodrayne 2 (PC) - April 15 - 12 hours
Rayne herself is great, but the game was a far cry from the first, let alone Nocturne. I wish Terminal Reality would have gone back to the Spookhouse instead.

Game number 26 finished, exactly halfway at the 3.5 month mark. Have been balancing playing Xenosaga III with a score of smaller, quicker games. Getting destroyed at work, so my handheld gaming lunch hour has been non-existant, and will continue to be for another month. Ugh.

Original Post updated

3D Land is done. Post updated!

Game #13: Super Mario 3D Land - 11 hours, 48 mins (Completed)
Obtained all 5 stars on my profile. Playing this after 3D World was the right call, because I didn't realize just how much was both lost and added in the move to a home console. 3D World is still a great game, easily in the Top 3 Wii U games, but I can't help but feel I'd like it less if I played this first. By the way, S8-Crown is not that hard. I completed it with no powerups in under 60 tries.

I'm halfway done! 26 games in the can, finally. Because I am a giant nerd, here's some random stats:

Total playtime across all platforms/games: ~440 hours
Average playtime/day: 4 hours, which is frightening
Average days per game completed: 4 days (52-game year pace: 7 days)
Total playtime towards this challenge (i.e. finishing games): ~255 hours
Top 3 by platform: PC (181:39), PS3 (138:47), 3DS (32:09)
Bottom 3 by platform: Vita (0:38), 360 (4:12), PS1 (5:36)
Most time in a single game: 95:33 in Atelier Escha & Logy, congratulations Gust!

January: 11 games
February: 8 games
March: 6 games
April: 1 game and counting

Lesson: play more short games! But really I'll just keep playing what I want to play. Right now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to concentrate on--I have a bunch of RPGs on the backburner, plus Fez, Descent 3 and Oni on PC. So we'll see.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
In all of last year I beat 17 games. As of now I've beaten 18 this year! Wows! Passed the 200 hour mark to! Anyhows .hack//Mutation is done which puts me halfway through the original saga!

Games Beaten: 18 / 52
Total Playtime: 200 hours, 43 minutes

link!

Wasp

A quick update:

9. LEGO The Hobbit
Completed the story mode so far, currently working on getting to 100% and the platinum.

10. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Finally got around to finishing the game and with all collectibles too. The last boss was a total witch.

11. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Got at least a bronze in each event. I think getting a gold in each event would be too hard and take too long so fuck that. Got all online trophies at least which took 50 races.

(Buried at Sea: Episode One and Episode Two)
I won't include these as they are DLC but I completed each (Episode Two twice, once on no kills 1998 mode) and got 100% of the trophies in each.

12. KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days
This is just a bunch of cutscenes which I skipped anyway so it took 1 minute and 39 seconds to get all 6 trophies. XD

13. The LEGO Movie - Videogame
Reached 100% and got the platinum. Shortest Lego game yet, took just 20 hours.

14. Battlefield 4
Insanely short game, took about 5 hours to beat the campaign mode on hard. Got all collectables and golds too. Only on level 10 online so still need to play much more.

15. inFAMOUS Second Son
Completed it to 100% twice, once as good then again as evil. Therefore got the easy platinum too.

16. Sound Shapes
Finished the main mode but Death Mode can die. Even harder than Super Meat Boy.

17. Trine 2: Complete Story
Finished the game but not going to bother getting all the collectibles in this one. There's too many of them and they're too well hidden and the levels take too long.

18. South Park: The Stick of Truth
Completed it twice and got the easy platinum.

Bit of an overdue update, things have slowed down but over the half way point so happy enough with that.

Game 25: Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 2 - 4.3 Hours
Don't want to say too much as its still kind of fresh (well when was I wrote this part up and didn't get round to posting) but really enjoyed this for the most part. Start of the game was great and again all the location were cool, now just to complete Bioshock 2 one of these days.

Game 26: Goat Simulator - 1.8 Hours
What really can be said about this? Just mindless, random enjoyment. Will hop back in at a later date to see what is going on with the workshop support.

Game 27: Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 9.2 Hours
I was one of those that really enjoyed Conviction so enjoyed this for the most part. Nothing really stand out, but as a package its all fairly solid. Paid less than a fiver so more than got my moneys worth.

Game 28: The Wolf Among Us - Episode 3 - 1.8 Hours
Don't want to say too much for spoilers sake but so good. Really enjoyed this episode and looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Game 29: Dear Esther - 1.2 Hours
It was a Sunday and I wanted to go a walk, weather was rubbish outside so played this instead. You walk, you get some story and get to see some really awesome caves. Not much else to say.

Original Post

Wensih

In all of last year I beat 17 games. As of now I've beaten 18 this year! Wows! Passed the 200 hour mark to! Anyhows .hack//Mutation is done which puts me halfway through the original saga!

Games Beaten: 18 / 52
Total Playtime: 200 hours, 43 minutes

link!

I have parts 1-3 as i liked them as a kid, but never bought part 4 which sucks because I've been debating hopping back in to finish but that $100 price tag is a deterrent. I have part 1 of g.u. too and now part 2 and 3 sky rocketed over the past year as well.

Games 41 and 42: God of War 1 and 2 HD

I'd never played any of this franchise until this week, so I gave the HD collection a try. Played the first one on normal and the second on easy because honestly I get no enjoyment out of the combat which I guess is their main draw. They were enjoyable enough podcast fillers, though I think Darksiders series since dulled and eclipsed these for me. And MAN is the story terrible. Kratos shouting was insufferable to me for moment one, hard to believe anyone found him appealing. The 3rd is on its way to me tho.

Progress

Game 1: Remember Me - PC- 10 hours - beaten Jan 2nd
Completed the game on Normal/Errorist. Picked it up for 10$ in the recent Steam winter sale and so far it's my game of the sale. Remember Me has one of the most stunning worlds, it's simply a beautiful game. I haven't felt compelled to take as many screenshots like that in a good long while. I normally don't dig linear, highly cinematic games but I was completely enthralled by Remember Me. Will probably replay it after I polish off a few other games.

Game 2: Batman Arkham Origins - PC - 18 hours - beaten Jan 12th
Completed the main campaign. Got this for free with my new GPU, At first I was kind of ambivalent about the game, aside from the larger openworld of Gotham City Origins didn't feel like it was adding much. But the more I played of Origins the more I liked it. The art direction, specifically WB Montreal's take on the characters is super well-done, I like them more than Rocksteady's. The main thing that won me over was the story, it's easily my favourite out of the three Arkham games.

Bought the season pass in a Steam sale and I'm screwing around finishing off the remaining openworld activities and combat challeneges while I wait for the next story DLC to drop. Something I didn't really feel compelled to do in Arkham City.

Honorable mention: Bravely Default demo - 3DS - 9 hours beaten Jan 12th
I played this demo nearly 10 hours. I maxed all of the jobs, maxed the village and got all of the reward drops for the main game, which I cannot wait for a pre-ordered shortly after I began playing the demo.

Game 3: Steamworld Dig - 3DS- 6.5 hours - beaten Jan 15th
It's like Dig Dug with persistant mines, loot and upgrades across three sizeable areas peppered with multiple dungeons. Fun game, overall it took me about 6 and a half hours. Got all of the upgrades and mined for all of the loot. About the only thing to shoot for in a repeated playthrough would be a faster time and fewer deaths. It's a really fun little game, I'll definitely double dip on it in the next Steam sale, although I'd say it's totally worth the 10$.

Game 4 - Diablo 3 - 150 hours - whenever Loot 2.0 dropped
Started a brand new Barbarian with Loot 2.0 and ended up with my first level 60 hero. I think I got bored with Vanilla D3 shortly after launch, I had a hero in every class but the furthest I got back then was level 42 on Nightmare before getting bored. I loved Loot 2.0 so much I powered through with that new Barb to 60 and then finished leveling up my Monk, Wizard, Demon hunter and Witch Doctor to 60. The barb and Wizard were the only two I seriously farmed with. Ended up making a few lvl 60 Hellfire Rings in anticipation of the Crusader and Reaper of Souls.

Game 5 - Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - 100 hours? - late March/ early April
Played through the main campaign and then Reaper of Souls with a Crusader. Once I got it to 70 I farmed up my Wizard, Witch Doctor and Barbarian to 70 as well. Most of my time in Adventure mode was spent with the Crusader and Wizard.

Honorable mention: Bravely Default - 40 hours - got up to Chapter 4 and stopped
I liked the game but it honestly felt like it was dragging on for far too long. I'm not certain if I want to go back to it or not.

Wensih

Honorable mention: Bravely Default - 40 hours - got up to Chapter 4 and stopped
I liked the game but it honestly felt like it was dragging on for far too long. I'm not certain if I want to go back to it or not.

The Same thing happened to me, and knowing what I'm in for in the next couple of chapters makes coming back so much harder.

olimpia84

Two more for the cause

Game 13: Steamworld Dig (3DS) - 6hs+
# A very fun Metroidvania type of game with a great exploration element. Leveling up is fun and the game has a perfect length/challenge level.

Game 14: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3) - 9hs+
# Very good 3D platformer, true to the Sly series combining stealth elements into the mix. The story, characters and dialogue are among the best parts of the game. The fact that you travel in time to different locations and get to play as Sly's ancestors adds a lot of variety in the gameplay preventing the game from becoming bland.

Wensih

Are we starting a Bravely Default Dropouts support group? Because I'll join.

Possibly. After I'm finished with finals in the coming weeks, I'm hoping to finish it, but until then I'll be coming to the regular support meetings to hear others' anecdotes of why they quit Bravely Defaulting.

Finished RDR. Post updated!

Game #14: Red Dead Redemption - 16 hours, 51 mins (Finished)
As far as I'm concerned,
the game ended when John died. I find it more powerful if I pretend that the credits rolled at his parents' graves, and everything after was optional.
But whatever, it doesn't make the game worse. On an unrelated note, I should learn how to play poker sometime.

Wensih

Oh yeah, what I've been playing:

I recently beat Outland and Zelda II: Adventure of Link. I'm stalled on progress through Bravely Default, and I'm currently about 6 dungeons into the original Legend of Zelda. Also do flash games/free web games count?

Game 14: Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3 version) - 1 hour 45 minutes

Received this game for free via PS+ and decided to give it a shot since I had such a good experience from Ducktales Remastered. Unfortunately, I can't give as much love to this one. They really should have gone the same route Wayforward did with Ducktales and made a very beautiful high-res sprite remake of this one. Instead, they went with a 3D platformer perspective. That just didn't work. It made a nice 2D platformer from the Genesis into a mediocre 3D platformer with questionable controller lag, stuttering FPS and camera issues. I was not as impressed with this one. It's worth a play if you've got memories for the Genesis game, but otherwise you can skip it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 15: Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) - 22 hours 13 minutes

My very first Vita complete ever! I picked a good one to work on too. This game was a blast and I have to say, I loved every moment. I was a little worried about the 3D characters and perspective at first. All of the other Ys games I've seen previously used sprites and when I saw the 3D character choice, I was a little disappointed and worried I wouldn't like it. The great gameplay thankfully made me overlook it. The controls were tight, the skills felt great and the boss battles were phenomenally fun. If you own a Vita, this should be on everyone's play list.

This has to be one of the better action RPG's I've played.

Main Post Link

Weng

Game 3: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) - 35 hours 27 minutes, finished April 20
100% and all puzzle pieces. Saving time attack and hard mode for later. I really had a lot of fun with it. I think it's as good as DKCR if not slightly better.

Original Post

Game 17: Fallout 1 (PC) [Time Played: 28 hours!]
(Original Post)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrluchador/recommended/38400

Where to start with this game...

'It's a classic' would be a good place to start, I guess. I have no problems say that from the outset. It's only taken me 15 years to get around to play original Fallout, but I can see without a shadow of a doubt why it's so highly regarded.

Before you play this game make sure to download the Fallout Fixt mod, which is a very comprehensive community mod which fixes a lot of the bugs, and more importantly the resolution for modern monitors. Without this patch you'll more than likely experience a horrible rainbow pixalation effect during videos and gameplay.

Anyway...

Fallout is a turn-based RPG series which offers you various ways to tackle the game. Do you want to be a stealthy person, creeping around, pick pocketing your way to glory? Sure, why not! Do you want to be a smooth talking kinda guy who can talk his way in and out of trouble? Go on, be that guy! What about a bookworm who can use his brain to solve puzzles. Yup! And of course you can be a mix of all three, as well as a gun totting maniac! YEE-HAW!
For my playthrough I used one of the pre-set characers (Albert) who was a Lawyer in a previous life and was set up with high charisma and speech skills. This opened up different dialogue trees throughout the game, which was nice.

Anyway, I enjoyed this game - I enjoyed it a lot. The characters are great, the voice acting (while limited) was pretty nice (though it did give away who the 'important' characters were) and the story itself was pretty deep. The game starts, as always, with you the 'Vault Dweller' leaving your vault for the first time to explore the wastelands. You're tasked with bringing back a water chip to save your vault before everyone dies of thirst!
There's a time limit to this, which (for me) cast a sense of urgency. Normally in Fallout games (Fallout 3 and New Vegas) I'm guilty of just going 'WHEEEEE' and exploring everywhere and not really caring what I'm doing. Yet in Fallout there's no time to explore, you've got to save lives!
... if you want to.

You see you don't NEED to save their lives, if you don't want to. In fact, you don't HAVE to do much in Fallout if you don't want to. It's not a narrow pathed experience, you can pretty much choose how you deal with the events in the game (and the end game cutscene will reflect on this at the end). A lot of games claim to be an open experience, and the actions you take reflecting on the game world, yet here's a game from 1997 which actually does that. I'm not sure it even heralds that fact that it does this. It just gets on with being a pretty damn good game.

This brings me on to another aspect of the game - the many different branches of the game. People react to you differently depending on what you're wearing, what you're wielding, and what you're intelligence or charisma is. I find that amaizng now (in 2014), so I can only imagine how mindblowing it was back in 1997 when the game was released. The 'simple' graphics by today's standards shouldn't distract you from what is a very complex game. There's a lot going on under the hood of this game and at times perhaps too much.
My eyes were really opened up to this towards the end of the game when I was struggling with killing a certain mob. I had went about it 'head on' and was killed a number of times. Yet, after a night's sleep I came back with a different approach, a more sneaky ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s approach and it was so much easier, and strangely satisfying. I had killed the guy and he had never even seen me.
OK, sure the wastelands were plunged into another 100 years of nuclear fallout in the process, but hey... I KILLED THE GUY!

However, even with the Fallout Fixt mod, the game can be prone to crash now and again. I'm not sure if it's the game's memory file getting too big or a conflict with Steam Overlay (wouldn't be a first), but towards the end of the game (and a lot of different quest outcomes) it started to become slightly unstable. So save REGULARLY!

Which brings me on to another thing. This is an 'old school' game. It will not autosave for you, you must take control of your own save files. If you die you won't be taken back to the next/recent checkpoint... you'll have to load up from the last point you saved.
This was the only thing I didn't like, but in the end I learned to live with it and it made me realise how pampered I had become as a gamer. I didn't have autosaves and 10 minute interval checkpoints when I was a kid and I still played games all the time back then. Yet, here I am as a grown man crying about dying and having to go back 20 minutes in the game because I had forgot to save... a lesson in life this game has given me.
Also, this game is tough. REALLY tough. Depending on how you build your character, or which character you choose. You will die a lot.
A lot.

So in closing...

If you're looking for an old school RPG experience than I'd recommend giving Fallout a try. I appreciate at time of writing they're no longer available on the Steam Store, or GOG, but hopefully they return one day, as they deserve to be played.

Hubb

#12 down, Final Fantasy X HD.

I'm not sure I'll be making 52 games this year, in fact I think it is a safe bet I am not. I've been playing too many multi-player games, and work doesn't leave a lot of time during the week.

Oh well, I'm still going to give it my best, and outside of TLoU Remastered I wont be trying for platinum for awhile.

Original post

eot

Banned
Game 8: Tomb Raider II - 19 hours (12½ in-game clock), April 21st
I'm a little conflicted about this one. I enjoyed it more than TR I, but it was clearly the wrong direction for the series to go in. There's way more combat (fortunately it's slightly better), the vehicle sections are janky and the urban environments throw away the atmosphere that made the first game great. On the other hand I think the best levels in TR II (The Deck, Temple of Xian, the Monestary / Catacombs) wreck anything in TR I. I have more nostalgia for this game though so I'm not sure how much that factors into things. Like I said, despite most of Venice being not so good, I did like it more than TR I which I actually put down for quite a while. The upgraded moveset helps a lot, but why are ladders so slow? Anyway, it held up better than I expected, it's a shame no one makes 3D adventures like this anymore.

I want to play The Last Relevation, but I'm not sure if I should skip TR III or not. I remember even more vehicle sections, urban environments and annoying bosses, but it was ages ago.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
There's cheating and then there's starting a new game with your character at Level 100 from the getgo. Tis not cheating if its a feature of the game! So that's Phantasy Star: Portable completed! Gotta love playing PSP on PSP!

Games Beaten: 19 / 52
Total Playtime: 208 hours, 35 minutes

link!

I have parts 1-3 as i liked them as a kid, but never bought part 4 which sucks because I've been debating hopping back in to finish but that $100 price tag is a deterrent. I have part 1 of g.u. too and now part 2 and 3 sky rocketed over the past year as well.
Thats a sad tale I've seen pop up on gaf a few times before! It stinks but thats the way the prices have been for awhiles. The originals are over 10 years old at this point x.x They sold well but weren't mega sellers an didn't get greatest hit re-releases so they just plain got scarce. Seems like theres no hope of a hd collection either -_-

Wensih

Thats a sad tale I've seen pop up on gaf a few times before! It stinks but thats the way the prices have been for awhiles. The originals are over 10 years old at this point x.x They sold well but weren't mega sellers an didn't get greatest hit re-releases so they just plain got scarce. Seems like theres no hope of a hd collection either -_-

Yep, but I have only myself to blame. I saw Quarantine for $35 in gamestop multiple times in high school, but I never finished Part 3, and as I was in high school, I felt I'd rather spend my limited amount of money on other things. I still feel the same way, especially now that the price has been jacked exponentially. I have a $116 giftcard for amazon, but I just cannot justify the purchase of a $100 game.

Toki767

Gotta make a progress report:

Game 14: inFAMOUS Second Son - 10 hours
Probably the prettiest looking console game I've played so far. It was also very fun, but still the same formula as previous games. Played the good and evil storylines and platinumed the game. Hopefully Sucker Punch work on expanding sidequests next time.

Game 15: Hatsune Miku Project Diva f - 25 hours
I haven't really played a rhythm game since Elite Beat Agents. This one was really fun though. Lots of catchy songs. Even ended up getting the platinum trophy for this.

Game 16: Ys: Memories of Celceta - 16 hours
Really fun game. Fantastic soundtrack. Most of the characters were fairly likeable too.

I'm thinking I still might be on track for 52 games in a year after pretty much skipping gaming for most of March.

Original Post

Alright, that's 52 games finished.
Very great challenge, thanks for creating this topic MrOrange, I've already finished more games this year than I did in the entirety of last year.

50. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker(PS3) - April 16th - Time: 18.5hrs
This is the second Metal Gear Solid game that I've finished(first being MGS3) and while it was fun, I didn't like a few elements, the fact that the game was intended for portable devices really hurts the flow of the game with LOTS of breaks in the action that are "to be continued in the next mission" which get really annoying when I'm playing it on a console and intend to play for a couple of hours.

Another thing that bugged me was the fact that I had to grind at times in order to unlock a higher level weapon because otherwise certain missions were basically impossible
(Peace Walker Fight 2)
at least it was solo, I couldn't connect with anyone longer than a few seconds to try out the multiplayer so I can't comment on if that makes it any better, but yeah having to grind for 2 hrs to get R&D leveled up, no thanks.

51. Assassin's Creed: Revelations(PC) - April 20th - Time: 8.3hrs
It was a pretty fun game, seems like a natural evolution of AssBro's mechanics which were a natural evolution of AssCreed2's mechanics, it's definitely very safe with the craziest thing they've added being the ability to create bombs.

Oh well, I still enjoyed the climbing gameplay as the city in AssRev was very nicely detailed and well designed for quick travel(lots of fast travel areas and lots of ziplines)

52. The Last of Us(PS3) - April 21st -Time Taken: 10hrs 7m

And The Last of Us, is the Last of the 52 games 1 year challenge for me.
I don't think I need to even mention how good this game is, very great game and I'm glad I finally got around to finishing it.

Weiss

Banned
Game 20: Link's Awakening - 20 hours

So this was a pretty awesome little game. I think what most shocked me was, for a 1993 Zelda game, it's surprisingly modern, with NPCs who have personalities and factor into the plot. Zelda games nowadays have problems with that.

That ending was messed up.

Slixshot

Banned
Original Post

Alright, that's 52 games finished.
Very great challenge, thanks for creating this topic MrOrange, I've already finished more games this year than I did in the entirety of last year.

50. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker(PS3) - April 16th - Time: 18.5hrs
This is the second Metal Gear Solid game that I've finished(first being MGS3) and while it was fun, I didn't like a few elements, the fact that the game was intended for portable devices really hurts the flow of the game with LOTS of breaks in the action that are "to be continued in the next mission" which get really annoying when I'm playing it on a console and intend to play for a couple of hours.

Another thing that bugged me was the fact that I had to grind at times in order to unlock a higher level weapon because otherwise certain missions were basically impossible
(Peace Walker Fight 2)
at least it was solo, I couldn't connect with anyone longer than a few seconds to try out the multiplayer so I can't comment on if that makes it any better, but yeah having to grind for 2 hrs to get R&D leveled up, no thanks.

51. Assassin's Creed: Revelations(PC) - April 20th - Time: 8.3hrs
It was a pretty fun game, seems like a natural evolution of AssBro's mechanics which were a natural evolution of AssCreed2's mechanics, it's definitely very safe with the craziest thing they've added being the ability to create bombs.

Oh well, I still enjoyed the climbing gameplay as the city in AssRev was very nicely detailed and well designed for quick travel(lots of fast travel areas and lots of ziplines)

52. The Last of Us(PS3) - April 21st -Time Taken: 10hrs 7m

And The Last of Us, is the Last of the 52 games 1 year challenge for me.
I don't think I need to even mention how good this game is, very great game and I'm glad I finally got around to finishing it.

*claps*

Hurray! Congratulations :D

Yasawas

Game 20: Demon's Souls (PS3) - Completed 21/4/14. 15:58

I have two platinums for this already so it was inevitable I'd buy the US version at some point and go for the hat trick. First run done and it's every bit as good as I remembered and False King Allant is still a beast however many times I fight him. Fantastic.

Original post.

MRORANGE

Congrats RavenValor95! you have been added to the OP.

ibibm0GY9q2gYN.png

Gaffers who have met this challenge will be displayed in full glory here.
Please send a PM with a link to your post of 52 games with comments when completed.

ibakf8sa7qjxUI.png
donny2112: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95492179&postcount=203

jdUWG2VPJgthE.png
RavenValor95: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104524566&postcount=866

If anyone else has completed the challenge, please send me a PM so I can add you to the list.

Game 43: Dishonored

Take that backlog! Me and this game have had the weirdest relationship. It was my most anticipated game before it released, and when I finally got it, the lack of definite shadows(I come from a hardcore Thief background) turned me off immensely. I've tried a few times since then to play it and kept being repelled, while still feeling guilty since I knew I had wanted to so much. Well I finally pushed through and beat it. I had to drop it to normal and stop playing like a ghost completionist to do it, but I did it. Overall I appreciated it more by the end, I just don't know why this game rustles my jimmies so when I play it. When I finally just used Blink to skip past 90% of the enemies and forgot about loot, I enjoyed myself, which is not my typical playstyle. Well, anyways, this and Witcher 2 and two of my most guilt inspiring backlog games. Feels really good to finally get past them!

After Dark Souls 2, this year I eventually have to get to my next two "highly anticipated yet never played" backlog games Dragon Age Origins and Dragon's Dogma. Lotsa dragons in my future.

Games 1 through 11

12. Metal Gear Rising - 4th April - approx 6 hours
Normally I really enjoy Platinum's output, but I had really mixed feelings about this overall. The combat was really awesome and the presentation was very cool, but in other key aspects I felt like it was really lacking, such as overly simplistic and dull level design, poor characterisation and, contrary to most opinions, several annoying boss battles.

13. Metal Gear Solid 2 HD (Vita) - 20th April - approx 9 hours
Didn't like it very much back in 2002; still not sure about it all these years later. Some cool sections, gameplay that's a clear step up from its predecessor and on the whole it's aged very well, but an absolutely fucking bullshit crazy plot, a structure that's far too similar to MGS1 (I know it's deliberate for narrative reasons, but it's still weak) and overall it's just not as memorable or clever as the first game. Still one of my most disappointing sequels, alongside Halo 2, Soul Reaver 2 and Red Faction 2.

StingX2

Game 26: Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion HD - 3 Hours
(Started 4/15/14 / Finished 4/22/14)
My friend was 100% right that playing the original Genesis game first would make me appreciate this game a lot more. This is a wonderful remake that kept the balance between staying true to what it was and expanding it at the same time. The narration also a very nice touch.

OP

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Uncharted 2 - 10:23 hours
I'm sure somebody will think I'm an heretic, but I don't think Uncharted 2 is God's gift to the action-adventure genre as some people like to say. The plot is outrageous pulp fun, the platforming is top-notch and the shooting is... from tolerable to decent. Still I enjoyed every minute of the game and I'm ready to tackle on the third entry, fresh from PSN+.

Updated OP

tav7623

Status Update 3

In the month or so since my last update I've finished 10 games (see list below) putting my total up to 36 games and have already started several others with SMW (World 6) being the one I'm closest to beating.

27. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Finished 3/22/14 - overall total playtime 10 hrs )
28. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (Finished 4/4/14 - est. total playing time 14 hrs 17 mins)
29. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (Finished 4/6/14 - estimated total playing time 7 hrs)
30. Bayonetta (Finished 4/9/14 - total time 10 hrs 32 min)
31. Aliens: Colonial Marines (Finished 4/19/14 - est total playtime 8 hrs 45 min)
32. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Finished 4/21/14 - total playtime 8 hrs 54 min)
33. Retro City Rampage DX (Finished 4/22/14 - total playtime 7 hrs 15 min)
34. Oracle of Seasons (4/23/14 est. playtime 8-12 hrs)
35. Castle of Illusion HD (4/24/14 est. playtime 5 hrs)
36. NES Remix (5/2/14 total playtime 28 hrs 7 min)

Games 26 to 28 in the can. Infamous: Second Son is hands down the best Infamous game by a wide margin. If you have a PS4 and aren't totally sick of open-world games, you should definitely try it out. Fez is short and sweet, but clearly has more to offer in terms of mystery--there's more cubes and anti-cubes to make, and more weird ways to get them I haven't discovered yet. Meanwhile, The Typing of the Dead: Overkill is probably a little too trashy for its own good (seriously, I don't think they actually used "fucking" every third word in exploitation flicks) but hey, we're here to kill zombies by typing things like "succession crisis" really quickly. The game gets the important stuff right.

I'm officially back on the Bravely Default train, having mostly finished Chapter 3 (but apparently with one last asterisk to pick up). From the sounds of things, that puts me less than halfway through the game, which means I'm looking at an 80-hour game at least. Yikes. I'll probably pick Descent 3 and Oni back up soon as well, and I'm a little undecided on whether to resume Final Fantasy XIII-2 or leave that to stew a little bit longer--I did finally make it out of Academia 400AF, at least. Finally, I've started Papers, Please (which is kind of stressful and unpleasant, but in a good way) and Starlight Inception (which is all kinds of rough right now, so I'll leave that be for a while).

Games 1-26 and 27-28.

daveo42

Banned
Game 12: Octodad - 2 hours - Completed 4/23/14

Nice fun little short game that I heard about ages ago and watched a Let's Play when it was a free game. Some of it was a little frustrating, but not overly so. I guess there's a tie collection to gather, but I probably won't worry about that. I think I might play this game with friends if they are so inclined, but I consider it finished.

Good for some pretty good laughs.

Updated post here

Weiss

Banned
Game 21: Infamous 2 - 15 hours

After my ambivalent feelings towards the first game, Infamous 2 blew me away. It refines everything about the first into something better, with better art design, getting around is easier, there's an actual soundtrack this time, and best of all, the cast of characters, especially the four leads, are excellent. Cole goes from one of the blandest, most unlikeable leads in gaming history to a guy with a legit funny personality and no stupid gravelly voice, and Zeke grows into something truly spectacular. That scene, where Cole and Zeke
decide to ignore the battle going on and just sit back, drink some beers and watch a movie
was genuinely touching in a way lots of games fail to do. The dual morality system is still unnecessary, but I felt it was integrated much more seamlessly in this game, with Cole no longer stopping every five minutes and asking himself whether he should act like a jackass or not.

Overall, this is probably my favourite PS3 game thus far.

LX_Theo

Banned
Going to add an additional post to keep a more abbreviated tracking of my games. Will use my other one as the detailed one...

| Detailed Post Part 1 | Detailed Post Part 2 | HowLongToBeat Tracking Account |

Completed Games -- Last Updated: November 26th
  1. Tearaway
    A6sdVhR.png
  2. Pokemon Blue (Nuzlocke)
    NKqybXu.png
  3. Beyond: Two Souls
    AggetHb.png
  4. Thomas Was Alone
    9fnqGxo.png
  5. Ys: Memories of Celceta
    xMINCT2.png
  6. Ratchet & Clank
    pFMW4rY.png
  7. Lone Survivor Director's Cut
    EaaABPd.png
  8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Project M, Multiplayer)
    nQKLjw4.png
  9. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
    J5dHaAv.png
  10. Brothers: Tale of Two Sons
    7k8hoJu.png
  11. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
    9SvFPak.png
  12. Dyad
    7z8jixX.png
  13. The Walking Dead Season 2 (Episode 2 to 5)
    Y7XziLV.png
  14. Ever 17: The Out of Infinity
    ZFhB730.png
  15. rain
    VFpE2a7.png
  16. Never 7: The End of Infinity
    eZJT7HH.png
  17. inFamous: Second Son
    ipp7JYb.png
  18. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    Y5QOkGQ.png
  19. Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu
    gjYyyvf.png
  20. Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
    WbKNaCB.png
  21. Ratchet: Deadlocked
    G7lwr5J.png
  22. Tales of Symphonia
    V7Sclj5.png
  23. Remember 11: The Age of Infinity
    H3sVNUZ.png
  24. Bravely Default
    a5aI1eI.png
  25. Game Dev Tycoon
    UlOAWgW.png
  26. Bioshock Infinite
    7YoBInp.png
  27. Limbo
    PAxJYaj.png
  28. Long Live the Queen
    HyAboMO.png
  29. Flower
    0daOpkF.png
  30. Minecraft
    UiRFB49.png
  31. Garry's Mod
    A4UKNEh.png
  32. Alter Ego: Life Simulation
    doh0Bu7.png
  33. Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bounty Hunter Class Story)
    LwCPE63.png
  34. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
    HjQXyec.png
  35. Spyro the Dragon
    5vbA2Hr.png
  36. Tomodachi Life
    YQXJLTq.png
  37. Metrico
    QtIiLYG.png
  38. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    OY2ylBl.png
  39. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
    JqT52NO.png
  40. Spyro: Ripto's Rage
    rafQKfS.png
  41. Towerfall Ascension
    HOgpmwT.png
  42. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
    EHp6bfc.png
  43. Dragon Age: Origins
    PnHODgE.png
  44. Dragon Age 2
    Ht4bmro.png
  45. Vanquish
    i6xh87i.png
  46. Fable II
    UdY3L5b.png
  47. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
    TRNDZEs.png
  48. Dragon Age: Awakening + Other Origins DLC
    cK3eGFm.png
  49. Resogun
    ArWVUNF.png
  50. Freedom Wars
    PcIthy0.png
  51. Dragon Age: The Last Court
    vAKeHCx.png
  52. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    UTu5WPG.png

Weiss

Banned
Game 22: Valkyrie Profile - 22 hours

I almost feel like I shouldn't count this one, because at Chapter 6 I realized I had badly screwed up and wouldn't be able to get the best ending, so I sped up to Chapter 8 and beat Surt.

It's a pretty damn good RPG (it better be; I payed 130 dollars for it!) with a really fun battle system, gorgeous artwork, and a genuinely compelling female lead, and I like how it throws away a lot of JRPG conventions and does its own thing, leading to a uch more streamlined game.

It was almost comical how absurdly grim the backstories of the Einherjar got, but it really worked well, taking bits and pieces of the tragic lives of dozens of individuals and working them into the narrative of a grand, cosmic war of gods, and painting Migdard as this really decrepit realm that the gods don't care about. Even Lenneth herself only interacts with them when she's recruiting them into her war, and the surface plot could be best described as "Lenneth takes her party grinding."

I'll definitely come back to it someday.

Sky Chief

A bad elbow injury literally took me out of the game for about 6 weeks. Now I am way behind. The good news is I am building a PC this weekend and have a lot of new games to play!

daveo42

Banned
Game 9: Infamous Second Son - ~25hrs - Completed 4/25/14

Update - Finished the evil campaign. Loved how it turned out and I'm thinking it will be the canon ending if they make a Second Son 2. Also unlocked all trophies for my 2nd Plat.

Updated post here

daveo42

Banned
Game 13: Rain - 3 hours - Completed 4/26/14

Another short-ish game that I am just now getting around to. The rain mechanic worked well throughout, but I think for the length of the game, it could have been better explored. The game didn't overstay its welcome and felt like it was just long enough to enjoy without getting boring or too repetitive. The story was relatively light with some darker tones sprinkled here and there, with the main antagonist being the primary cause.

I''d suggest playing it for the visual style of the game, the rain mechanic, and the nice tale it weaves over the course of a few hours.

Updated post here

Lemstar

30: Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark (PSV) - 9h (04/18/14 - 04/25/14)

I'd contend that for the majority of the game, it's not exactly stealthy - it's a relatively straightforward puzzle platformer. It's only really some of the boss levels (and a couple with Seekers) that involved the kind of on-the-fly improvisation that felt like getting into a hairy situation in a stealth game.

With that being said, it was still quite fun. I had put off a PC playthrough to play it on Vita; it was not a terrible idea - although it'd have been lovely if it didn't bug me to turn on Wi-Fi every time I woke my Vita up.

daveo42

Banned
Game 14: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Part 1 - 3 hours - Completed 4/26/14

Warning: Sprinkled with late Bioshock Infinite Spoilers

It was quite interesting to be back playing as Booker in a familiar setting. The sights and sounds that surrounded me were nice, comforting, and haunting all the same. Running around
Rapture with Elizabeth as Booker/Comstock was quite interesting. Her dropping all sorts of references during the process. The atmosphere was just right, as were the splicers and Little Sisters, and of course the Big Daddy at the end.

The first have of the game was great and allowed for some nice exploration, and then the game turned to combat, which felt way too foreign after being away for so long. I could have used more roaming time without needing to deal with enemies. Combat's still the same, but not nearly as tight as I'd like it.

As always, the ending of the first episode threw me for a loop.
Having a Big Daddy kill Comstock (as that's who I was told I actually was, not the Booker from the end of Infinite) was more shocking, as well as the beheading of Anna and the Lutece twins showing back up.
Now I am more than interested in seeing how things shake out in Part 2.

Updated post here

Game 44: Dragon Age: Origins

The last chunk of this game sure was a slog. I played the game on easy because I was here for the story and characters I had no desire to really engage in the tactical side of the combat...well, too bad, cause easy still requires constant micromanagement and inventory shuffling. You can plow along until there's random gating and difficulty spikes wherein suddenly I had to deep dive into and rethink every strategy(which I put no effort into). Easy should not be challenging, developers. I play Dark Souls for challenge. I'm not holding it against it, I still enjoyed the majority of the game, but the amount of combat could really have been toned down. I added ten hours to the game clock just for party wipes and restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom