52 Games in 1 Year - 2019 Challenge - You can do it!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Another year, another 52 game challenge! You can do it, I have faith in you. You've trained for this moment your whole life. All the glory is just within your grasp.

This is a thread for GAFfers that want to play on average one game a week for the year of 2019. Whether you're doing the 52-game challenge to help clear your backlog, compete with your friends, or simply to keep track of the games you've played - this is a fun way for us to come together and talk about the games we've played this year. Think you have what it takes, champ?

How do I take part?
Claim a post (you may need two later). Write down each game and your thoughts about each one. Use this format for your post:
1: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

2: NAME - DURATION PLAYED

3: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
How do I know when I've completed a game?
That's up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it has no ending or a MP game. You can do replays, as long as all the games are completed in 2019.

Do I have to record time?
No.

Do I have to review or comment on the games I complete?
No but it'd be nice to give a few words or maybe a quick score. Full blown mini-reviews aren't necessary.

Do episodic games count as a single game or X amount of games?
That's up to you. It's alright to count something like Life is Strange as one or five games. Your choice.

Can I finish a game I started in 1984 and count that?
Yes. Especially if it's Punch Out.

What should I do once I've completed the challenge?
Send me a PM with a link to your post (or posts) that shows all the games you've completed this year.

Do board games / card games / tabletop games count?
They do not.

Is there a deadline?

NeoGAF Challenge Archive: 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 - "Join the NeoGAF Fan Club today".

Backloggery - This will help you keep track of your backlog if you're using the challenge to try and crush it like Mike Tyson.

How Long To Beat - Use this site to get a general idea of how long a game will take before you start playing. We all want to know what we're up against - even Little Mac trains by running across the New Donk City skyline.

People who have completed the challenge will be posted here, please remember to send me a PM with your post once you're done!

Last edited:

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Reserved

Sign me up. I can hopefully bash out some quick Indie games this year because my clearance rate was dire last year

Completed: -

1: Machinarium

I actually beat the game when it first came out, but of course, they added the Steam achievements later on, so it was worth a revisit to finally put it to bed and get that 100%. Gamewise it's pretty charming however I would say some of the puzzles are a pretty obtuse and there's a lot of trial and error to things. Towards the end, there's a musical puzzle that had someone as tone deaf as you're truly reaching for a walkthrough. Still decent game by Amanita Design.

2: Deponia

I actually bought the complete journey (ironic given they released Deponia: Doomsday recently) and it had been sat in my backlog for a while. Either way added it to my 52 games list and figured I'd tick it off. I'm counting each part as it's own separate game. Either way, kind of amusing point & clicker although the puzzles aren't necessarily all that obvious and there's a lot of clicking random items on random items to get a result.

3: Chaos on Deponia

Wrapped up part 2 of the Deponia Trilogy. Have to say albeit quite enjoyable with some decent gags, though some of the puzzles require are out and out moon logic, and achievement hunters are recommended to use a walkthrough because some of them are extremely hard to get without forwarning.

4: Goodbye Deponia

Finally got around to finishing the last of the Deponia Trilogy. Overall pretty enjoyable though I do feel like Rufus is a bit like Wyle Coyote in that his plans never seen to quite come tother. Last Part is definitely a long one though thankfully not quite as arduous as the second when it comes to the achievements. Now onto Deponia Doomsday...

5: Life is Steange 2: Episode 2

I'm going to be breaking this one down into parts because given the 4-month delay between episodes 1 & 2 I fear Dontnod might struggle to get this one completed by the years end. It was clear from the episode itself this was intended to probably come out before Christmas given the time period of events. Regardless though at 4 hours, it was a bit of a whopper as far as these sort of episodes go. I'm still in the process of digesting it all, but for the most part, it avoided a lot of the criticisms of the first episode and built on the characters in terms of them both coming to terms with what had occurred in Episode 1 and building on it. Somer of the beats were a little obvious, some less so.

In process: -

1: Starlight Drifter - 5 Hours

A Sci-fi based Visual Novel game I picked up during early access that's been sat in my backlog for a while. Has a bit of the mass effects/Fire Flys about it. Everything so far has been a matter of choices.

Abandoned: -

1: System Crash - 27 Hours

Cyberpunk Card Game. A pretty buggy game tbh. Mechanistically it's great, but it keeps crashing out at certain points the play. Thankfully it tends to do a good job of not really losing progress, but still highly annoying given it's a bit of a crapshoot as to whether it's going to run or not., I'm far enough in now that I might as well see it through, but it's frustrating. I'm actually going to set this aside. The's a fun game in there somewhere, but the more I progress the more stability has been an issue and the crashes are so random now it's really sucking the joy out of playing. I may return to it, but right now it makes sense to just call it a day and invest my play time elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2012
Let's see if I can do it this year after dismally failing for the last two. Claimed!

Currently playing:

1) Gears of War 4
2) Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories
3) Resident Evil 2 Remake

Completed

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Game 1 - Dungeon Village - Nintendo Switch - Completed Jan 1st, 2019
I started playing this game a few days ago but finished it a bit after midnight on Jan 1st. I've played the Android version before but I felt like the Switch controls really made this a much more enjoyable experience. Although the game continues on after you've "finished" it more or less forever, I wish there were some better end-game content that wasn't just progressively harder enemies. The game reminds me a lot of idle games or clickers so it's definitely a bit disappointing to see that it only really goes on til the 15 years in-game is finished without much variety after that. Took about 4 hours to complete.

Game 2 - Donut County - Nintendo Switch - Completed Jan 1st, 2019
I recently played Katamari Reroll and this looked like it was right up my alley. I felt like this game had a lot of charm but it almost felt like a tech demo more than a full game. The segments with the hole were really innovative and fun, I wish they could have gone on a bit longer. My favorite part of Katamari was rolling up the whole world and this game didn't have the same type of satisfying conclusion. Still a really interesting and quirky game though, just not at all what I was expecting.

Game 3 - Kirby Star Allies - Nintendo Switch - Completed Jan 2nd, 2019
I started playing this a few months ago and have been playing a few levels here and there for the past few months. I had a hard time getting into the game because it had nearly zero difficulty. By the time I finished the game, I had over 100 extra lives and my team was mostly "specials" that essentially just did all the work for me. I liked a few of the platforming elements, but this game wasn't nearly as good as Planet Roboto, not by a long shot. Still an enjoyable game, but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone given it's full $60 price tag.

Game 4 - Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Xbox One - Completed Jan 10th, 2019
I put over 100 hours into the newest Assassin's Creed, and I have no regrets about that. The game is excellently suited to playing in bite size chunks but really shines in longer playing sessions. While a lot of the quests feel like MMO fare, I found the world of Greece to be interesting enough and full of interesting characters that I hardly cared that I was running fetch quests most of the time. I feel like I started playing at just the right time, since by the time I got to level 50 they increased the level cap to 70, and by the time I got to level 70 they added an update for mastery levels. I completed every quest, unlocked every achievement (except the one glitched one), and had about 100 pieces of legendary equipment I had upgraded to level 70. Amazing game, now I'm just patiently waiting for all the DLC to release before jumping back in.

Game 5 - Picross S2 - Nintendo Switch - Completed Jan 13th, 2019
Picross continues to be a favorite of mine, and although Picross S2 wasn't really anything special it still had a lot of good and challenging puzzles. The value here was really good since I added it up and spent about 22 hours on the puzzles which is pretty decent for an $8 game. I'll definitely be picking up Picross S3 if / when it releases. My only real complaint would be the lack of using the Switch's touch-screen controls, since coming from the 3DS Picross games it was a pretty obvious and jarring omission. I've gotten used to the Switch controls though between S and S2, so not really a huge gripe at this point. I guess now for my Picross fix, I'll have to get that silly looking Chibi-style Picross game.

Game 6 - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - Nintendo Switch - Completed Feb 8th, 2019
I loved this game to bits, although there were several parts that got a little slow. I'll admit to this game taking me nearly a year to beat, on account that I think I put it away (twice) for other games though I kept coming back to it. The game definitely isn't a looker (it was originally a Vita game, so) it looked alright and played great on the Switch. I loved the "trapped on a deserted island, must escape to survive" aspect that the game started with, but it definitely took some unexpected twists and turns. Was level 83 by the time I beat the game, with 97.425% of the map completed. I saved the clear data (about 42 hours) but I doubt I'll go back and mop up any of the post-game stuff. Great game, highly recommended for fans of the series.

Game 7 - Mario Party 2 - Wii U (Virtual Console) - Completed Feb 13th, 2019
My kids and I have been playing a lot of Mario Party 2 on the Wii U VC. The game is as much total bullshit as ever, but the mini-games are interesting (thanks Hudson soft) and the boards are varied enough to keep things interesting. I played all the levels, unlocked all the mini-games at the tree thing, and just generally had a fun time playing. Way better than Mario Party 1 and slightly better than 3 as I feel like that game went a bit down hill. Surprisingly fun even today, though the Wii U's BC and upscaling helped a lot in those regards - as well as saving me from having to hook up my old N64 and dust off the cartridge (which I still have)!

Past challenges:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
System: PC
Completion: 4/1/19
Duration: 24h
Rating: 🕹🕹🕹
Comments: Amazing level design. But, the game gets a little bit repetitive. Swamp level sucks. Was more impressive back at release, but still a fun romp.

SOMA
Completion: 10/1/19
Duration: 13h 44m
Comments: Very atmospheric. Amazing world design. Some of the best audio and surround sound implementation I have heard in a video game. Can get a little bit repetitive, but the game isn’t too long, so that is mitigated. Interesting and thought-provoking story, but at the same time, I expected plot twists that never came and the story ended somewhat predictably. Still, I enjoyed my time with it and would highly recommend.

• Portal 2
Completion: 14/1/19
Duration: 13h
Rating: 🕹🕹🕹🕹
Comments: If you liked Portal, this is more of the same with the humour and environments ramped up. A very good video game.

• Limbo
Completion: 15/1/19
Duration: 4h
Comments: Pleasant little puzzler.

• System Shock 2
Completion: 23/1/19
Duration: 35h
Rating: 🕹🕹🕹🕹🕹
Comments: Wonderfully atmospheric. Amazing sound design. Insane level design. Late game levels hard as hell. All time classic game.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2006
This is the Year!
(Note: I don't list a completion time because I let games idle too much. I don't give review scores because I would give almost everything a 10/10).

1: Dragon Quest XI (PS4 Pro) - [Main story]
My first Dragon Quest and it was a joy to play. The music really needs updated to fit with the quality of the game. It had a little Zelda style destination choice/exploration and backtracking in it, but I wish they went harder with this. It took me a long time to beat because I kept getting distracted from the main quest and talking with every villager. Never felt the need to rush, it was always a pleasure to be playing, but I have to move on. The post-game content and 100%ing will be saved for a later date.

2: Fortune Island - Forza Horizon 4 DLC (Xbox One X) - [100% complete]
This was a pretty meaty DLC. The treasure hunting was ok but the Island and all the new events to complete made it worth the price. Just more fun for FH4. Still, in the back of my mind, I wish I was playing Test Drive Unlimited 3.

3: Never Alone (Xbox One X) - [Full story]
Really similar to Unravel. Not quite as good as Unravel but not bad either. It's fun playing as a cute snow fox.

Currently Playing:
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Xbox One X)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One X)
The Gardens Between (Xbox One X)
League Of Legends (PC)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2013
I’ll toss myself into this. Don’t think I’ll get close since I’m focusing on clearing out most of the RPGs I’ve never got around to completing.

Quick question @jshackles how do DLC episodes or expansions figure into this? Like if I go play Dragon Age Origins: Awakening or FFXV Episode Gladios do those count as completed games?

(2/52)
1. Mass Effect Andromeda - XB1X - Jan 3
My Stats
I don’t understand what the backlash to this game was, I quite actually enjoyed my time with it and found many of the small side quests enjoyable with the payoff for completing them. I remember such uproar about it when it came out, and the game I just finished didn’t seem worthy of all that. Unless they just ripped through the story missions and didn’t see how fleshed out the world was with all the side stuff.
Sad that we don’t know where this franchise is headed now, or if it even has a future.

2. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - XB1X - Jan 8
My Stats
I didn’t enjoy this near as much as the 1st game. I just didn’t find the story as compelling as Max and Chloe but it was still a good experience overall.

Last edited:

jshackles

Jul 2, 2013
I’ll toss myself into this. Don’t think I’ll get close since I’m focusing on clearing out most of the RPGs I’ve never got around to completing.

Quick question @jshackles how do DLC episodes or expansions figure into this? Like if I go play Dragon Age Origins: Awakening or FFXV Episode Gladios do those count as completed games?
I wouldn't worry too much about big RPGs - last year I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveler, Ni No Kuni II, etc and still managed to make 52 games. :)

As for DLC - it's entirely up to you how you'd like to count things. Last year, I personally counted individual Elder Scrolls Online "regions" (Summerset, Morrowind, Clockwork City, etc) as different games since they took 15-30 hours each to complete for me. The OP's FAQs also says you can count individual episodes each as a game if you'd prefer. The goal here is to help motivate each other to play (and finish!) our games not to try and hold court on whether or not someone should be able to count something or not. If it counts to you, it counts.

Failed badly last year! Gonna make 2019 right!
1: Forgotton Anne (PC) - 6 Hours 18 Minutes
# Beat 1st Jan - Beautiful little platformer with amazing visuals and lovely story. 8/10
Game is pretty good then? I've had my eye on it for a while and the 6 hour play time along with the fact it's on the Switch now sounds perfect.

Feb 15, 2013
NC
In the grand scheme of things I came up 22 games short of completing last year's challenge, but I did managed to meet my personal goal of exceeding 20 games finished (by 10 games) and in the process also managed to Platinum/100% complete several games. So I will once again be taking up the challenge and I think the best way to start is by finishing the games I didn't get to finish last year.

Game #1 - Marvel's Spider -Man (PS4)
Est Playime - 30+ hrs, 100% completed/Platinum'd base game on 1/2/19
I've been a long time fan of Spider-man (in my book he's right there with Wolverine, the X-men, & Batman as my all time favs) and it's been a while since there was a (imo) pretty good Spiderman game (Spiderman 2 for the Gamecube/PS2) so I was pretty thrilled that this game, which I started playing last year (first via RedBox and then I got it as a Christmas gift), turned out to be really good. Now is it a perfect game, no not by any means (I'm not to big on the game's controls, but they're functional and get the job done) but does surpass Spiderman 2? well based on the side missions alone I'd say yeah by a country mile and it's no slouch either when it comes to the main story which sees an alternate version of the story arc along with a few other arcs from the comics. ★★★★★

Game #2 - Onimusha Warlords HD (PS4)
Est Playtime - 3hrs 34 mins (first playthrough), main story completed w/ a B ranking, 51% of Trophies obtained
I first played this game back in 2001 when it first came out on the PS2, now I don't recall ever beating it back then (I think I got all the way to the final boss, but never beat him) but I do remember enjoying it though not enough to bother pick up the sequels. So as soon as I found out it was (finally) getting a "HD" remaster/re-release I jumped st the chance to revisit this game and while I still enjoyed the game I honestly don't recall it ever being as short (I beat it in 3 hrs 34 mins and I almost 100% completed it, only missing 5 flourite stones, 1 document, 1 magic jewel, & finishing 13 of the 20 levels of the dark realm arena) as it turned out to be, but I will definitely come back to this game to see if I can manage to Platinum/100% it.....eventually :p ★★★✩✩

Game #3 - Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4)
Est Playtime - 15+ hrs, completed Leon A/Claire B scenarios w/B rank on 1/27/19, 82% of trophies obtained
I've been a long time fan of the Resident Evil series (since 1998 when I played Resident Evil: Director's Cut & Resident Evil 2 for the first time) and was super stoked to learn a few years back that Capcom was finally remaking RE 2. So my hype level was pretty high and I gotta say this game did not disappoint as it was (pretty much) everything I wanted in a remake. I'm loving this game so much that I plan on doing multiple playthroughs (I've already done a Leon & Claire A speed run and have beaten the 4th Survivor & Tofu Survivor mode) and will try to platinum the game. Hell they made Mr. X even more terrifying than he was in the original game by not only having him in constant pursuit/search & destroy mode through a good chunk of the game, but also by having him react to sounds (if you fire a gun, aggro a licker, throw a grenade/flash bang, solve a puzzle that makes a lot of noise he'll come a running) and busting through walls to get to you. ★★★★★

Last edited:
i'm in as always :)

Game 1: Call Of Cthulhu -
14 hrs. 41 mins. 22 out of 25 Points.

Game 2: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice -
5 hrs. 32 mins. 16 out of 25 Points.

Game 3: Murdered: Soul Suspect -
4 hrs. 33 mins. 22 out of 25 Points.

Game 4: Salt & Santuary -
31 hrs. 57 mins. 20 out of 25 Points.

Game 5: The House in Fata Morgana -
19 hrs. 36 mins. 18 out of 25 Points.

Game 6: Valhalla Knights 3 Gold -
56 hrs. 57 mins. 18 out of 25 Points.

Game 7: DARKSIDERS 3 -
13 hrs. 40 mins. 18 out of 25 Points.

Game 8: Lords of the Fallen -
34 hrs. 30 mins. 22 out of 25 Points.

Game 9: The Coma: Recut -
4 hrs. 30 mins. 18 out of 25 Points.

Game 10: Resident Evil 2 Remake -
16 hrs. 47 mins. 20 out of 25 Points.

Game 11: The Council Complete Edition -
11 hrs. 37 mins. 22 out of 25 Points.

Game 12: Fire Emblem Warriors -
8 hrs. 37 mins. 20 out of 25 Points.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2012

Katamari Damacy REROLL

About 5h, replaying some of the stages a couple times but mostly not.

This game has aged really well and it's a dream to play in the Switch. The controls are still somewhat weird, but it's part of the charm, on a way. It does feel like you're struggling to move a giant boulder.

Just wish it wasn't so short, as it's kind of not worth 20€. If it was Katamari Damacy + We Love Katamari, it would be a steal for the price. As it stands, it's more of a 9.99€ game.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

Oct 21, 2014
02/52

CELESTE 5/5 First playthrough resulted in 68/175 strawberries, 1366 deaths, and a time of 07:52:00.742. Oh, and 10/30 achievements. Can't wait to re-climb Celeste and find all those missing collectibles.
Riptide GP: Renegade 2/5 Polished hydrojet racer with high customisation. Only played because it was leaving Game Pass and I wanted to get 100% cheevos - damn, gotta get my priorities straight! Long drawn-out campaign but couch co-op would keep the action alive.

January 2 games
February 0 games

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018
Nice, ill try. Ive promised myself to play alot of older games this year, i am a bit fatigued with modern gaming.

1: Chrono Trigger = 18 hours complete- 7/10 still a very good game
2: Secret of Monkey Island - 9/10 still fantastic
3.Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge 10/10 best point and click game ever made
4. Resident Evil 2 remake - 9/10 Excellent everything a remake should be
5.Sleeping Dogs - 8.5/10 Brilliant game, shame we will never get a sequel

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018
I completed 24 games in 2018. I don't expect to make 52 without a lot of really short ones, but hey, I've more than enough in my backlog alone to give it a go.

----------------------​

Completed: 2/52

JANUARY

1: Breath of Fire (SNES) - 30+ hrs
My first JRPG. It's a good game but I'm not a fan of the battle system and constant encounters. Worth finishing for the exploration and characters but I'll be very picky about what other JRPGs I try.

2: Oxenfree (PC) - 5 hrs
As a horror fan this hit a lot of the right notes for me. The use of conversations felt fresh and worked well. I got quite caught up in it and liked the characters and voice acting.

Last edited:

jshackles

Jul 2, 2013
This sounds more like a challenge for my wallet
If all you ever play are AAA $60 games on release day, then yeah this challenge can get pretty expensive. If you're patient and can pick things up when they're on sale, have a huge backlog of games you've purchased but haven't played yet, or routinely replay older games you already own or have beat in the past, the challenge is usually a bit more reasonable. Also if you have PS+ and/or XBL, the free games they give out each month are often good candidates. If you have an Xbox, Game Pass is $100 for the year and there are more than enough games included there to complete the challenge (and then some). On PC, check things like Humble Bundle regularly for stuff or even the $12 "Humble Monthly" usually has some good games (currently Just Cause 3, Wizard of Legend, Project Cars 2, and 4 more mystery games in a few days). NeoGAF even runs some Steam key giveaways occasionally where you have a chance to get some pretty good games for free. If you have Twitch Prime (included with Amazon Prime), they typically give away 4-5 games a month. GOG even usually gives away 3-4 games a year.

I'd venture to guess that even if you had absolutely no video games whatsoever, you could find a way to play 52 interesting and fun video games for a whole lot less than you think.

Oct 27, 2012
This sounds more like a challenge for my wallet
I actually see it as a challenge to try and reduce my backlog. Even though I failed the challenge, 2018 was the first year since I'm backlogging where I beat more games than I purchased! ... to be specific, 2 more games. But after having a 2-year -80 streak, I still notch it as a win.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
8/52 Completed
Hoping I can keep this up!
(if I could stop myself from playing 40h of warframe/week it would help...)

Started In January (or first time played during this year in)

1 [✓] Minit [PC] - 3h21, January 1st
story is over, 80% completed and fine leaving it there - Fun premise but novelty wore off by the end. - recommended.​

2 [ ] Castlevania: Lord of shadow UE [PC] - 14 hours in.
Chapter Seven, Stage three​

3 [✓] Iconoclasts [PSVita] - 10h54m21s, January 4th
Saw the credits (75% complete) Had much fun playing through it. lovely metroidvania - Heavily recommend to any metroid fan.​

4 [✓] Earth Defense Force 2 [PSVita] - 16h, January 5th
I feel dumb adding this one I picked it up right after I finished iconoclast to do a mission or two, realised i didn't actually finish the story with any class, had 1 mission left to do... so basically played 15 minutes of it to finish story. - EDF games are great, everyone should at least try one of those and that one is a portable version of a great serie that i love. - Must try for anyone looking to kill Bugs/Aliens​

5 [✓] Muramasa Rebirth [PSVita] 13h58m January 17th
I finished both main campaigns + 1 alternate ending, I have 83 swords and Im feeling good stopping there, it was a fun time but i got my fill of it and the second campaign was underwhelming (it uses the same kind of combat and the same map with some different paths and bosses) would still recommend.​

6 [✓] Ace Combat 7 : Skies Unkown [PS4] 8h, Jan 22nd
Omg I missed a good ace combat, it's one of those games you must own at least one of those per generation of consoles. Planes pilot super good, story is as usual so serious in itself, cool stuff is happening all the time and theres a cute princess.
10/10 jpeg dog
And it gave me another amazing ace combat for free, seriously recommending it.​
7 [✓] Florence [Android] Short, didn't time it, Jan 31st
Very bittersweet love story that i really enjoyed. I heard so much about it during the end of the year rounding up of games discussions and felt like i should check it out. it is effective at what it sets out to be and is super pretty to look at. would absolutely recommend anyone to pic it up from the app store if you don't mind spending 3,69$ (canadian rupees) for a game that is just about or above an hour.​
February

8 [✓] DrillDozer [GBA] 6 Hours, Crook rank completion, Feb 5th
Lovely game I overlooked during the GBA era its really fun but some bosses are a b****. I might work on 100%ing that one , its fun.​
9 [✓] Pikuniku [PC] 3-4 hours, Feb 12th
[free with twitch prime, still available through February 28th] Very cute and fun, made me laugh and was a very enjoyable puzzle/ exploration/ platformer. Visually simplistic but pleasing to look at, never gets too hard, "boss" battles are a bit unimpressive but it kind of fits the game. Definitely pick it up if you have twitch prime.​
10 [ ] Warhammer: Vermintide 2 [PC] 6 Hours in
Currently playing Co-op with friends. i'm having a blast !​

Last edited:
Game is pretty good then? I've had my eye on it for a while and the 6 hour play time along with the fact it's on the Switch now sounds perfect.
I didn't know much about the game, only that it was going for an anime aesthetic art style. I was pleasantly surprised with the story/setting and its idea of objects being forgotten by their owners and sent to another realm to live. It's not challenging with its platforming, but it moves at a good pace broken up with enough dialogue scenes that I feel it makes for a great time.

Jun 17, 2015
Ohio
1: Marvel's Spider-man - PS4 Score - 9/10
2. Sonic & Knuckles- Genesis Score - 9/10
3. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - PS4 Score - 6/10
4. Call of Juarez: The Cartel - Xbox 360 Score - 4/10
5. Spider-man: The City That Never Sleeps - PS4 Score - 7/10
6. Deadly Creatures - Wii Score - 7/10

Now Playing:
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

2018 List - 68 Games

Last edited:

jshackles

Jul 2, 2013
Mate 52 games is too much! I need to forget my girlfriend, son and job to do it!
I mean, I work three jobs and have a family and was still able to finish it last year (including some hefty RPG games). Granted, my kids are "adults" now but they still live at home, and two of my jobs are part time.

One of the reasons I'm loving the Switch these days is that I can pack it with me to work and play it on my lunch break, between jobs, when I travel, etc. Breaking up my day with gaming is great for my personal mental health and well being.

Oct 5, 2018
Spain
I mean, I work three jobs and have a family and was still able to finish it last year (including some hefty RPG games). Granted, my kids are "adults" now but they still live at home, and two of my jobs are part time.

One of the reasons I'm loving the Switch these days is that I can pack it with me to work and play it on my lunch break, between jobs, when I travel, etc. Breaking up my day with gaming is great for my personal mental health and well being.
Mate, I try to play every day, but I took again Metal Gear V to PS4 in the winter sale (7,99€ with al DLCS) and I played almost every day and It will take to finish the game minimun a month. I can´t follow your rithm.

You have too much jobs, too much kids and want to end too much games... The only think that you need now to do this more difficult is to get married two or three times more this year.

Which are the kind of games that you played?

tomiguelk

Neo Member
Nov 21, 2018
Portugal
First try here. Finished the first today:

1. Bloodborne + Old Hunters DLC: Amazing game. The DLC bosses are insanely Hard, but the harder they are the better you feel after finally killing them… 9.5/10

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2014
01/52

CELESTE 5/5 First playthrough resulted in 68/175 strawberries, 1366 deaths, and a time of 07:52:00.742. Oh, and 10/30 achievements. Can't wait to re-climb Celeste and find all those missing collectibles.

FurkanE17

Neo Member
Sep 6, 2017
I'm in. (3/52)

1: Mortal Kombat XL (Xbox One) - About 5 hours
The 5 hours only include the time spent on the story mode. The problem with the game's story is the fact that it was designed for newcomers. This means that all the characters spend the first couple of hours talking like they've read each others wiki pages, talking about each others entire background. This is obviously done to introduce newcomers to the characters and the lore but it doesn't really help the plot get going. The plot isn't anything special anyway but it's way better than those first few hours make it out to be. One more thing: Johnny Cage is one of the worst video game characters I've ever had the displeasure to play with. He constantly drops forced and bad one-liners in the most serious situations, it was so weird and stupid. 6/10 for story + combat

2: Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) - 25 hours
Whatever good things you've heard about this serious, I can confirm. Loved this game. It has memorable story moments, likable characters with clear intentions, a solid fighting system, fun open world activities and a great soundtrack. Looking forward to dive into all the other games in this series. 9/10

2: Jazzpunk (PC) - 3 hours
This was alright. You play the role of a spy and need to complete objectives in a few levels whilst being able to do little side tasks like throwing popcorn at people in a theater, beating up a wrestler and playing VR tennis. Some of these can be kind of funny. I'd describe the humor of this game as hit and miss. For me personally, it was miss most of the time. The game is basically one internet meme and while it is charming, sometimes the jokes seemed forced. 5/10

Dec 18, 2013
I decided because of that credibility in gaming thread to link each game I complete to my true achievements stat page. So if anyone wants to see how much,or how little of the game I completed they are welcome to do so.

Jul 14, 2018
1: Shenmue (Four gatchas outta five).

I never played the original back 'in 't day so it was interesting experiencing it anew in crisp, clean high definition. Of course I turned on the Japanese VA and put it in 4:3 mode straight away because momma didn't raise no fool.

The game plays out like a methodical detective story and it's quite interesting to see how open-world games were envisaged back in the early 2000s. There's nothing like today's need to keep the player entertained within an inch of their lives. It's sort of like a crossover of Animal Crossing in its rigorous appreciation of the mundanity of everyday life crossed with an early progenitor of the Yakuza series in its bloodthirsty Virtua Fighter-inspired combat. There are moments of tension, excitement and fear, and that's not just when you're waiting to see which gatcha capsule you're getting.

Like any good lover, it has infuriating moments. The harbour part in particular towards the end is boring as fuck. It's basically five days of cut-scenes and forklift driving which grinds the game to a halt and doesn't fit with the glacially increasing velocity that has been the narrative up to that point. Nobody questions it or minds in what amounts to some god damn real videogame logic. The romance between Ryo and Nozomi didn't work for me either but I did shed a tear at the thought of Tom (Tomo) leaving to go back to America. Don't worry hotdog bro, we'll always have Yokosuka.

All in all, it works and it strikes a good nostalgia trip, much like remembering what it used to be trying to find a payphone to phone my mum to tell her I wouldn't be home for tea.

I'm looking forward to the second game.

Last edited:

Zellris

Neo Member
Jan 9, 2019
I will throw my hat into the ring.

Current progress:

1: Life is Strange: Before the Storm | January 2 | 9 hours (Rough estimate)

I really liked it it`s my second play-through and i enjoyed playing it before life is strange as i feel it fleshed out some of the characters.

2: Life is strange | January 3 | 15 Hours (Rough estimate)

It's my second play-through, Cool Telltale style game with an interesting mechanic that makes it unique from other similar games.

3: Life is strange 2: The awesome adventures of captain spirit and Episode 1 | January 4 | 5-6 Hours (Rough estimate)

really enjoyed both episodes i really liked the interaction between the main characters in the first episode. The story so far is interesting and i am looking forward to the next episodes.

Currently working on:

Killer is dead

Fist of the north star: Lost paradise

Also planing on starting a play-trough of the Daughters of Ash mod for Dark souls: Prepare to die edition.

Zellris

Neo Member
Jan 9, 2019
I will throw my hat into the ring.

Current progress:

1: Life is Strange: Before the Storm | January 2 | 9 hours (Rough estimate)

I really liked it it`s my second play-through and i enjoyed playing it before life is strange as i feel it fleshed out some of the characters.

2: Life is strange | January 3 | 15 Hours (Rough estimate)

It's my second play-through, Cool Telltale style game with an interesting mechanic that makes it unique from other similar games.

3: Life is strange 2: The awesome adventures of captain spirit and Episode 1 | January 4 | 5-6 Hours (Rough estimate)

really enjoyed both episodes i really liked the interaction between the main characters in the first episode. The story so far is interesting and i am looking forward to the next episodes.
4: Killer is Dead | January 12 | 8 Hours and 30 Minutes

A character action game by grasshopper manufacture. The story is weird and confusing but in a god way. The game has an interesting art style as well and the gameplay is solid. Just to let anyone intrested know the game does also have a weird mini game where you need to stare at a woman's body at a bar while she is not looking to build up the guts to give her a gift so you can “Win her heart” witch will award you different items and sub weapons. Its kinda cringy but if you are used to weird japanese mini games it`s nothing to extreme and you can ignore this if you wish but you will miss out on some items and sub weapons (Personally i barely used any of them).

(Is this the right way to add to the list ? im new to NeoGAF and i didn`t seem to find an option to edit my old post.)

Jan 7, 2018
1. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (PS4):
Gameplay:
Plays solid and smooth like the previous entry, feels awesome all the way through. Nero, The main protagonist, feels like a fresh new beginning to the series, and going back to Dante took some recollection, but after a bit it felt like riding an old bike, and I was doing even better with him, than I was with Nero.
Story: Wacky and ridiculous as usual, wouldn't have it any other way!
Art Style/Music: The designs of the characters are awesome, both the heroes and villains alike. Kinda wished that Trish would stay in her Gloria costume :messenger_smirking: and I would say that I like Lady's DMC 3 design more than this one. And the music is sick as usual, can't say that I like it more than 3's or 5's but still awesome in either case.
Gripes: I don't have much to complain about except that I felt that the final boss fight was a little underwhelming compared to 3's and the platforming sucks! I hate platforming in these games, its better than 1 and 2 but still less platforming for this series the better.
Additional Info: I completed the main story, and will definitely come back to finish the other content, this game probably has to be my second favorite in the series.
Final Score: 5/5

2. Sky Force Anniversary (PS4):
Gameplay:
Good ol' shoot em up action that i felt was better playing with my brother than by myself. The upgrade system is fun to experiment with and makes the levels several times easier.
Story: The story is lackluster, with very few dialogue between levels. Shit there's only 2 voice actors.
Art Style/Music: The art style is fine, but the main show taker is the music, fun retro action music to go along with you blasting enemies out of the skies.
Gripes: You can feel the repetitiveness of the game as you have the missions many times in order to proceed.
Additional Info: N/A
Final Score: 3/5

3. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS4):
Gameplay:
Surpassing its previous title, the action is more fluid, the camera works better, and the mechanics improve the game in many ways. Doing many awesome combos, mix and match attacks with the different forms that change up the style of combat as well.
Story: The story of the first was sure alot easier to follow than this one, but actually experiencing Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days and my ability to understand more than I was at the age of 10. So while it has it's moments of cringe, I would still say the story is better than 1 but still lacks behind CoM and 358/2.
Art Style/Music: The designs of the characters.... are interesting to say the least. The designs of the heartless and nobodies can be cool, but the 'human' characters are just nothing but zippers and belts... so many belts... But I will say that Sora has way better design than he does in the first one, and The Organization look cool in just simple long black coats.
Gripes: The main grip i have about game is the amount of cringe there are at times.
Additional Info: Another thing this game has over the first entry is the amount of content, I didn't finish everything. Ill probably get around to it another time, as leveling up in this game can also take a good amount of time.
Final Score: 5/5

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
1. Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue: Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD (PS4):
Gameplay:
Fast and frantic gameplay that relies heavily on flowmotion. The command list is an upgraded version of what was found in Birth By Sleep. To obtain these commands, you can find them through chests in the world, learned from ability links via raising Dream Eaters which act as your comrades), and purchased through moogle stores. While not as fun as the mainline series - it was a decent idea for a
Story: To defend against the oncoming evil, Riku and Sora must become Keyblade Masters by passing the Mark of Mastery exam given by Yen Sid. The goal is to find the seven locked keyholes among the sleeping worlds lost to darkness. There are some fantastic revelations within this game that set up perfectly for the oncoming Kingdom Hearts 3. This is a must play game if you have any interest in understanding the story in the upcoming new release.
Art Style/Music: Classic Disney mixed with Nomura's strange fetishes for belts. Oh, also Yoko Shimomura. Fantastic work all around.
Gripes: Given that this was originally on a handheld platform, I can forgive some of the issues with the camera, however when fighting certain bosses (coupled with flow motion), it feels almost impossible to control.
Additional Info: Xion is best girl.
Final Score: 4/5

IKSTUGA

Neo Member
Jan 9, 2019
Reserved. Right now I'm @ 2/52

1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Really Liked the campaign, this kind of sci-fi stuff is what I like the most (focus on military stuff eg. Mass Effect). Jon Snow could have been better, but oh well.

2. Far Cry 5
Good game with too much stuff to do. Did only the most essential quests and skipped almost all of the side stuff. Villain was good, endings were... surprising?

So far so good.

First post, yay.

Jan 7, 2018
1. Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue: Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD (PS4):
Gameplay:
Fast and frantic gameplay that relies heavily on flowmotion. The command list is an upgraded version of what was found in Birth By Sleep. To obtain these commands, you can find them through chests in the world, learned from ability links via raising Dream Eaters which act as your comrades), and purchased through moogle stores. While not as fun as the mainline series - it was a decent idea for a
Story: To defend against the oncoming evil, Riku and Sora must become Keyblade Masters by passing the Mark of Mastery exam given by Yen Sid. The goal is to find the seven locked keyholes among the sleeping worlds lost to darkness. There are some fantastic revelations within this game that set up perfectly for the oncoming Kingdom Hearts 3. This is a must play game if you have any interest in understanding the story in the upcoming new release.
Art Style/Music: Classic Disney mixed with Nomura's strange fetishes for belts. Oh, also Yoko Shimomura. Fantastic work all around.
Gripes: Given that this was originally on a handheld platform, I can forgive some of the issues with the camera, however when fighting certain bosses (coupled with flow motion), it feels almost impossible to control.
Additional Info: Xion is best girl.
Final Score: 4/5
I was a lil confused, I thought I was reading a review I didn't remember writing 😂. Really well written tho! Already better than the ones I've written!