• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

58th Annual Emmy Awards Nominations - Discussion/Bitching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

While I, as so many others, enjoy a good episode of 24, I really think that these atrocities need to be discussed on the basis of things other than 24. Because, honestly, this is one of the most backwards moves made by the Academy in their history, and we all saw how many nominations Will and Grace received last year. To discuss 24's highest hourlong program number of nominations (12), head to this thread.

For those who don't know, this year was the first with a new blue ribbon panel setup. (Explained here)Designed to allow for new blood to receive recognition, the popular vote amongst all Academy members narrowed the field to 10-15 candidates (Rather than right to the five nominees). Then, a blue ribbon panel viewed each candidate's submission (For both performers and series) and rated them. As a result of this rating, nominees were selected.

This process was often linked to Lauren Graham, star of The WB's (Now the CW's) Gilmore Girls. Long recognized as the only reason the show's dialogue works, and having received nominations from both the Screen Actors Guild and the Golden Globes, she has been shutout from Emmy consideration since the show began. Other people who were mentioned include Veronica Mars' Kristen Bell, and cult hits such as Entourage or Battlestar Galactica. The Emmys have long fielded complaints that they are too stuck in tradition (See: Years of West Wing/Sopranos dominance, Frasier dominance, etc.). Therefore, there was hope that things would turn around.

Well, there is no question that the Academy has made some changes. There is definitely some major surprises, and some level of new blood, within the nominations. However, rather than coming at the expense of tradition, it has come at the expense of new shows as well as seasoned performers. The Academy is trying to prove they are hip by simultaneously allowing a few new shows into the mix while simultaneously making some absolutely idiotic decisions.

For a complete list of nominees click here.

Best Drama Series
Grey's Anatomy
House
The Sopranos
The West Wing

Honestly, this race is really quite interesting. Greys/House are the new kids on the block, getting respect in their second seasons. Interesting to note, perhaps, that only two shows have nominees in the Lead Actor/Actress categories (24, The West Wing). The snubbing of Lost is apparently being blamed on the episode submitted (Season Premiere), but I am honestly quite disturbed at the West Wing love. I get that the show is ending, and there is no doubt it improved over the early post-Sorkin years...but a single episode of Lost should have held up against a single episode of West Wing.

Best Comedy Series
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Scrubs
The Office
Two and a Half Men

Two and a Half Men? They have to be kidding me. The other nominees are all quality, but did the loss of Raymond really force them to choose the show that inherited its timeslot? With this lineup, I'd say AD has a pretty good shot, but Steve Carell will make all the difference here. And assuming that Scrubs' episode is the Wizard of Oz one, then it's got a shot as well.

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Curb Your Enthusiasm • HBO •
Larry David as Himself

The King Of Queens • CBS •
Kevin James as Doug Heffernan

Monk • USA •
Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk

The Office • NBC •
Steve Carell as Michael Scott

Two And A Half Men • CBS •
Charlie Sheen as Charlie Harper

Ummm...seriously? You've got to be kidding me. There is no question that Steve Carell is deserving, and the Academy loves them some Monk/Larry, and do you know what? Charlie Sheen plays himself really well. But Kevin James? What the hell? Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), Jason Lee (My Name is Earl), and Zack Braff (Scrubs, nominated last year) were all snubbed in this category for the guy from King of Queens? An absolutely baffling selection.

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
The Comeback • HBO •
Lisa Kudrow as Valerie Cherish

Malcolm In The Middle • FOX •
Jane Kaczmarek as Lois

The New Adventures Of Old Christine • CBS •
Here in association with Warner Bros. Television
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Christine Campbell

Out Of Practice • CBS •
Television
Stockard Channing as Lydia Barnes

Will & Grace • NBC •
Debra Messing as Grace

Let's recap. An actress formerly on Friends, an actress you keep nominating even when no one watches the show, an actress formerly on Seinfeld, an actress you love who happens to have been on the West Wing recently on a failed sitcom, and then someone from Will and Grace. Three shows are new, theoretically, but it's the same people that you've been awarding for years. The lack of Lauren Graham wouldn't bother me so much if it had been for other new actresses.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Arrested Development • FOX •
Will Arnett as Gob Bluth

Entourage • HBO •
Jeremy Piven as Ari Gold

Bryan Cranston as Hal

Two And A Half Men • CBS •
Jon Cryer as Alan Harper

Will & Grace • NBC •
Sean Hayes as Jack

WILL ARNETT! A shining beacon of hope, along with Jeremy Piven. Of course, then we've got Malcolm in the Middle, Two and a Half Men and Will and Grace, so it's not as if they can fill a category without nominating the same people. One has to believe there were performances that could be honoured in favour of Jon Cryer and Bryan Cranston, especially Cranston whose time has passed. This was a great chance for new blood, and while I appreciate that Arnett got in I think that consolation nominees isn't enough. John C. McGinley would have been a fine nominee, but we get Jon Cryer? Ugh.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Curb Your Enthusiasm • HBO •
Cheryl Hines as Cheryl David

Desperate Housewives • ABC •
Alfre Woodard as Betty Applewhite

My Name Is Earl • NBC •
Jaime Pressly as Joy

Weeds • Showtime •
Elizabeth Perkins as Celia Hodes

Will & Grace • NBC •
Megan Mullally as Karen

Um, what the hell? Alfre Woodard? Not only was she part of one of the most pathetic attempts at a season-long mystery seen on television in quite some time, but she is in no way "comedic" on Desperate Housewives. Woodard is an Emmy darling, and is constantly nominated, and it is clear that they're not changing that anytime soon. Nominated Woodard for a mini-series, dramatic, seems normal. However, if they're going to put Housewives in the Comedic category, it is absolutely insane for Alfre Woodard to get nominated. They need to pick actual comedic performances, not just beloved actresses in shows that are in "comedies". Jaime Pressly/Perkins are the only real new blood here, but I wish that we could have seen someone else break into the category.

Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit • NBC •
Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler

Rescue Me • FX Network •
Denis Leary as Tommy Gavin

Six Feet Under • HBO •
Peter Krause as Nate Fisher

24 • FOX •
Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer

The West Wing • NBC •
Martin Sheen as President Josiah Bartlet

No. You did not just do this. You nominated House for Best Drama Series. And you didn't nominate HOUSE. How can you do that? The supporting cast is fodder for House, little more, as much as I love Cuddy and Wilson. And yet you leave him off the Best Actor list? Same goes for James Gandolfini, but at least he has a bit more of an ensemble. Denis Leary is the token "We're hip, we swear" nomination, but Meloni is an absolute shocker...and kind of bothers me. I know that Hargitay has broken the glass ceiling for procedural actresses, but the overwrought storytelling is becoming annoying Emmy bait at this point. I think that Sam Waterston has given countless better performances on L&O Proper, but the Academy feels that SVU is deserving of Emmys? And let's not forget that Martin Sheen was technically a sidenote for much of this season of the West Wing.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series
The Closer • TNT •
Kyra Sedgwick as Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson

Commander In Chief • ABC •
Geena Davis as Mackenzie Allen

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit • NBC •
Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson

Six Feet Under • HBO •
Frances Conroy as Ruth Fisher

The West Wing • NBC •
Allison Janney as C.J. Cregg

Janney? Conroy? Ugh. Sedgwick is another hip pick, while Davis is riding her past success on a role that I find boring as shit. Hargitay is a lock from now on, what with the occasional Olivia-centered SVU episode that can be submitted independently, but the real surprise here is the lack of Edie Falco. Really? Janney over Falco? Hmmm.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Boston Legal • ABC •
William Shatner as Denny Crane

Huff • Showtime •
Oliver Platt as Russell Tupper

The Sopranos • HBO •
Michael Imperioli as Christopher Moltisanti

24 • FOX •
Gregory Itzin as President Charles Logan

The West Wing • NBC •
Alan Alda as Arnold Vinick

Imperioli gets the only Sopranos acting nomination, Alan Alda beats Jimmy Smits in the real race, and Itzin finally breaks the long-standing non-Kiefer Emmy curse for 24. Platt/Shatner are riding Academy goodwill, Shatner having two Emmys to show for his recent appreciation, but I really hope that Itzin can pull away with it.

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Boston Legal • ABC •
Candice Bergen as Shirley Schmidt

Grey’s Anatomy • ABC •
Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang

Grey’s Anatomy • ABC •
Chandra Wilson as Dr. Bailey

Huff • Showtime •
Blythe Danner as Izzy Huffstodt

24 • FOX •
Jean Smart as First Lady Martha Logan

Grey's Anatomy's only acting nominations come from the usual suspect (Golden Globe/SAG winner Sandra Oh) and the scenestealer in Chandra Wilson. Blythe Danner is the traditional nomination, Jean Smart rides her strong performance to a nomination, and Bergen joins Shatner in the "I joined Boston Legal and the Academy remembered I existed" category.

Other highlights
- Lost (9 Nominations), Six Feet Under (9 Nominations) and Desperate Housewives (7 Nominations) were all shut out of the series categories, despite both SFU and Lost garnering Writing/Directing nominations.
- Lost's only acting nomination came from Henry Ian Cusack (Desmond).
- Neither of last year's Dramatic Lead winners (James Spader, "Boston Legal", and Patricia Arquette, "Medium") managed to get nominated this year.
- Nobody misses Raymond, because it sucked.

WHERE ARE ALL THE SHIELD NOMINATIONS?????!!!!!!!

Vicmackey.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A snub of James Spader? WTF.

And Boston Legal snubbed in general.

Best Comedy Series
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Scrubs
The Office
Two and a Half Men

LOL at 2/5. Two and a Half Men and Scrubs aren't in the same ****ing LEAGUE as the Office and Arrested Development. Curb Your Enthusiasm I haven't seen much of recently, though.

Memles

MIMIC said:
Really? The opener was some good shit.

There's no question it was good...but for Academy members? If they had not watched the first season, they would have been dealing with "What's the hatch? What's this about a raft? What the hell is going on?" and been turned off. The Pilot had that element of surprise and intensity that would allow it to succeed much easier; this premiere was much more contingent on knowledge of the show itself.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
master_shake_05 said:
WHERE ARE ALL THE SHIELD NOMINATIONS?????!!!!!!!

Vicmackey.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more. The Emmy noms are a complete joke. No Shield? No Battlestar? And barely any love for shows like South Park and Nip/Tuck. I'm happy to see 24 and The Office get deserved recognition, but The Shield is so far beyond everything else on television its not even funny.

I hate the Emmys. Why do I work in television? Sigh.

Memles

Almost forgot, another interesting category:

Outstanding Individual Performance In A Variety Or Music Program

Barry Manilow: Music And Passion • PBS •
Barry Manilow, Performer

The Colbert Report • Comedy Central •
Stephen Colbert, Host

The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson • CBS •
Craig Ferguson, Host

Late Show With David Letterman • CBS •
David Letterman, Host

The 59th Annual Tony Awards (2005) • CBS •
Hugh Jackman, Host

Let's get this straight. Craig Ferguson and Barry Manilow over Jon Stewart (For either The Daily Show or The Academy Awards, which likely cancelled each other out to the point of losing his nomination) and Conan? Joke.

Show them either the premiere episode, "Kavanaugh", "Of Mice and Lem" or "Post Partum" AND WATCH THEM HAND THE SHIELD EVERY MOTHER****ING AWARD IMAGINABLE!!!!

>:/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Memles said:
I know that Hargitay has broken the glass ceiling for procedural actresses, but the overwrought storytelling is becoming annoying Emmy bait at this point.
As much as I love SVU, I completely agree. I'm very tired of the awards baiting that got kicked into high gear after Hargitay first won. Her character has become some emotional ultra-sensitive surrogate mother to all victims. She was a lot more fun when she had some sass and attitude in the early days. The show's taking the core partnership too seriously. While the concept of their partnership becoming emotionally involved was interesting in theory, it was executed horribly and pretty forced, I assume partially because of Hargitay's pregnancy. The show was more fun when the characters had some fun, even while investigating horrible crimes. Now it's all so serious.

Memles

Dan said:
As much as I love SVU, I completely agree. I'm very tired of the awards baiting that got kicked into high gear after Hargitay first won. Her character has become some emotional ultra-sensitive surrogate mother to all victims. She was a lot more fun when she had some sass and attitude in the early days. The show's taking the core partnership too seriously. While the concept of their partnership becoming emotionally involved was interesting in theory, it was executed horribly and pretty forced, I assume partially because of Hargitay's pregnancy. The show was more fun when the characters had some fun, even while investigating horrible crimes. Now it's all so serious.

Heh, I actually consciously thought of you when I knew I had to bitch about the Meloni nomination. I remember some rather fun arguments of "SVU sucks" from me and "SVU rocks" from you. While we may have different opinions of the show, at least we both realize these important facts.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
master_shake_05 said:
But seriously, The Shield Season Five was better than anything any of these shows could muster up. Weak list.... :(

I agree. What a joke these awards are. I'm not knocking 24 (as I enjoy it), but when a show like that gets 12 nominations, I have to wonder. The Shield is on a whole different level-- it's so rich with character development and drama. It is ridiculous that The Shield didn't even get a single nomination.

Dr. Strangelove said:
I agree. What a joke these awards are. I'm not knocking 24 (as I enjoy it), but when a show like that gets 12 nominations, I have to wonder. The Shield is on a whole different level-- it's so rich with character development and drama. It is ridiculous that The Shield didn't even get a single nomination.
Let's take the fight to the Academy's door! LAYING DOWN THE MAC ATTACK!!!!

>:/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Memles said:
Heh, I actually consciously thought of you when I knew I had to bitch about the Meloni nomination. I remember some rather fun arguments of "SVU sucks" from me and "SVU rocks" from you. While we may have different opinions of the show, at least we both realize these important facts.
Yeah. This last season really rubbed me the wrong way.

The lack of a nom for Ciarán Hinds as Julius Caesar is a shame.

Memles

Dan said:
Yeah. This last season really rubbed me the wrong way.

The lack of a nom for Ciarán Hinds as Julius Caesar is a shame.

Rome has proven that the Academy will only award amibitious projects like it when it's condensed into mini-series form.

Memles said:
Rome has proven that the Academy will only award amibitious projects like it when it's condensed into mini-series form.

I have to ask something, is HBO not leading the nominations this year? If not, it seems like this is the first time in years that they haven't blown away everybody with the sheer amount of nominations they got.

Memles

ConfusingJazz said:
I have to ask something, is HBO not leading the nominations this year? If not, it seems like this is the first time in years that they haven't blown away everybody with the sheer amount of nominations they got.

Due to Miniseries...s, they still destroyed everyone with 95 nominations.

FoneBone

To be honest, I don't understand how 24 got so many nominations. While I still enjoy watching it, it's getting increasingly ridiculous and predictable, to the point that it's on the verge of becoming drinking-game fodder.

Memles

FoneBone said:
To be honest, I don't understand how 24 got so many nominations. While I still enjoy watching it, it's getting increasingly ridiculous and predictable, to the point that it's on the verge of becoming drinking-game fodder.

24 benefits from the single-episode viewing format that results in the nominees. A single episode of 24 can be action-packed, exciting, suspenseful, emotional and well-acted...and to the Emmy voters, it doesn't matter how the season as a whole played out. The directing nominations, the sound mixing, the score noms; all of it is dependent on only a few episodes. 24's big increase came at the hands of Itzin and Smart. Logan had the duplicitous element of his character to play up, whereas Mrs. Logan spent most of the time completely out of it and entirely too emotional. Both work well in single-episode bursts, whereas on the whole? Itzin's character turn was unbelievable and Mrs. Logan was a drama queen.

Wes

venison crêpe
The West Wing will steal a few awards as it was their last season. Award shows always seem to do this.

Memles

Wes said:
The West Wing will steal a few awards as it was their last season. Award shows always seem to do this.

It should be really interesting to see how this turns out, to be honest. Sheen/Janney have both already won the award, and due to the election neither were even in major positions for the bulk of the season which would make their awards frustrating. Both have a lot of competition, so I doubt they'd go there. And Greys or 24 is walking away with Best Drama unless they feel bad about snubbing Edie/James and give it to the Sopranos. The fact is that Greys and 24 each combined critical acclaim with ratings boosts over their previous seasons, whereas The Sopranos slightly fell off the cultural radar...slightly. Therefore, I'm struggling to find where they'll get West Wing its er...Emmy. Alan Alda is the obvious choice, since he is the only cast member from the newer era of the show that could represent the show's creative resurgence. But he's got Itzin and Shatner to deal with.

Although, they still gave Raymond the Emmy last year over Housewives/Arrested, so...who knows.

Gob vs. Ari in the Best Supporting Actor category! I don't know who to root for! (though the gay dude from Will and Grace will probably win it just because. Emmys are bullshit)

Acrylamid

Memles said:
- Lost's only acting nomination came from Henry Ian Cusack (Desmond).
If he wins and Arrested Development wins in all categories it's been nominated, then I'm happy and don't care for the rest.

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Jane Kaczmarek as Lois

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Bryan Cranston as Hal
WTF. Why is Lois considered a lead and Hal isn't? Both get the same screen time and both are as important to the story. Anyway, both are great (although Gob>Hal, but it's a close call).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
arrested development deserves a sweep. and really it would be a beautiful and fitting true end to the show. cancelled and sweeps the emmy's..

they are THE most watched DVDs in our house. we watch at least a few episodes every week.

Solo

The only thing that irks me is them ignoring, once again, Kristen Bell. She should be nominated this year, and should have been nominated and won last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom