• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell CEO (GAF's own Jackson): Wii U is "definitely more powerful than PS3 & 360"

ugoo18

Actually I was just getting annoyed that devs were giving contradicting statements to the press about the WiiU's overall performance in regards to 360/PS3. It's clearly better, whoever says it isn't is either lying or grossly misinformed. It was annoying me to see so much back and forth about it from devs and the press. The forum banter is just a byproduct of the information the forum goers are given.

The response I gave was an off-the-cuff answer to a Game Informer interview really. Nothing more.

Obvious troll is obvious. :)

Wait your a GAF member.... 0_0

I thought the initial title change was just a joke or something.

Actually I was just getting annoyed that devs were giving contradicting statements to the press about the WiiU's overall performance in regards to 360/PS3. It's clearly better, whoever says it isn't is either lying or grossly misinformed. It was annoying me to see so much back and forth about it from devs and the press. The forum banter is just a byproduct of the information the forum goers are given.

The response I gave was an off-the-cuff answer to a Game Informer interview really. Nothing more.

But by how much?

bryehn

strange statement. why does the CEO of a third party company care about internet speculation re a first party console?

Because his studio is more or less stuck making the franchise they started with (Hybrid is not going to be relevant by the time this holiday season rolls around) and he's bored.

I really don't understand this argument. The WiiU is more powerful than current gen systems. That's cool, but I'm more interested in whether it's as powerful as the next gen systems on the way - you know, PS4 and the next Xbox. That's the benchmark people should be focusing on.

It almost certainly is not, because to launch a 4-8X 360/PS3 with that controller would lose trillions (of Yen).

Effect

I don't expect Pikmin 3 to change all that much, the same with NSMBU. Then again I don't really care all that much as I'm not bothering with either of them come launch. I don't want to buy a Wii up-port and I'm not crazy about Pikmin to begin with. If it had online of some kind I would have been willing to give it a shot but it doesn't have that. I'm tired of 2D Mario in general. I'm also very negative on Nintendo at the moment so there is that as well.

strange statement. why does the CEO of a third party company care about internet speculation re a first party console?

Perhaps concern about the Wii U could lead to bad word of mouth and possibly lower sales which would affect his game which is being sold on it.

Glass Joe

The Wii U's CPU discussion for some reason reminds me of the SNES days. Early titles, especially such as Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Castlevania IV and Gradius III looked beautiful but those games had a ton of slowdown. My basic understanding as to why this was that 3rd parties weren't used to programming for console yet, and that also the SNES CPU was about half the speed of the Genesis. In the long run, it could be argued that Nintendo could have benefited by investing in a stronger chip, since it was major fuel for Sega in the console wars.

Just wondering if in the future, something similar will happen with Wii U vs PS4 titles. Especially if 3rd party ports of existing 360 software weren't running as well as expected at e3. By that, I mean otherwise impressive graphical capabilities, bogged down with a slow CPU.

On the other hand, I did see the new Zombi U footage and the lighting did look better than before. Which makes sense from what I've read on here. I'm absolutely not a techie but with everyone talking about the modern shaders the U should employ, it's nice to see that improvement in the updated footage.

Donnie

it needs to be 6-8x 360 for it to even matter.

its not. Its on par, meaning 0,5x-3x. So its never going to see any meaningful ports of next gen games.

its the wii all over again, basically.

but its enough for nintendo games with decent image quality.

Not only do you not know what the phrase "on par" means but your logic here is baffling.

According to you WiiU is on par with PS3/360 because it won't be more than 4 times as powerful. But by that logic PS4 and Xbox3 will only be on par with WiiU.. think about it.

onQ123

\

So 3 Wii CPUs duct taped to 1 1/2 Xbox 360 GPUs?

udivision

Not only do you not know what the phrase "on par" means but your logic here is baffling.

According to you WiiU is on par with PS3/360 because it won't be more than 4 times as powerful. But by that logic PS4 and Xbox3 will only be on par with WiiU.. think about it.

o... wow, lol

jaypah

damn

It almost certainly is not, because to launch a 4-8X 360/PS3 with that controller would lose trillions (of Yen).

Agreed. I have no idea why people get so defensive over whether the WiiU will be stronger than consoles that came out in 2005, and then hold that up as some benchmark of validation. It better be, now let's look forward instead of back.

Margalis

Banned
Naw, he was right about the meaning of "on par."

Do you guys play golf? Like in golf if par for the course is 72 and you shoot a 24 that's called "shooting par." Also if you shoot like a 200 or so that's also "on par."

Golf is weird!

Do you guys play golf? Like in golf if par for the course is 72 and you shoot a 24 that's called "shooting par." Also if you shoot like a 200 or so that's also "on par."

Golf is weird!

Well your definition of golf is weird.

Oh shit....

But by how much?

Not an easy question to answer, and even then I doubt Jackson would be in a position to divulge the nitty-gritty details.

All we're really getting on a consumer level is "clearly better". That much was known from the start. Whether it's a true generational leap (highly doubt it) or an upgrade of the current one and exactly to what degree is something we won't find out until at least launch time.

Dan Yo

Banned
Not an easy question to answer, and even then I doubt Jackson would be in a position to divulge the nitty-gritty details.

All we're really getting on a consumer level is "clearly better". That much was known from the start. Whether it's a true generational leap (highly doubt it) or an upgrade of the current one and exactly to what degree is something we won't find out until at least launch time.
Ya, I never doubted that the Wii U would be at least slightly more powerful than a 360. "Clearly better" isn't a whole lot to go on though. That could still mean that it's on the same level as current gen HD consoles. Which, by the way, I haven't really doubted either from the moment the console was announced, and especially from the moment I saw their E3 presentation and heard what devs were saying about the capabilities of the console.

"Clearly better" isn't really saying much.

These folks get it.

It's not odd strange in a my neighbor Totoro way, it's strange in a "why does he care" kinda way. It seems to me he's too attached to the platform if he is getting "frustrated". I'd expect this of Reggie, Miyamoto or Iwata (people who doesnt seem to care lol) but not third parties.

Why would I even want to reply? Why would it frustrate me? I'm not about to get emotionally invested in console wars lol
(Great teacher Onizuka is classic)
Of course he's frustrated. A majority of the games his company makes is for a nintendo platform. He wants everybody to invest and buy the Wii U so more people can buy his products.

Basic business sense.

Donnie

Golf is weird!

I'm no expert on golf. But I'm pretty sure that the term is used to describe the completion of a hole in a predetermined number of strokes. As in if you're playing a par 5 hole you get par by completing that hole in 5 strokes.

Being on par with something means you're at an equal level.

On a consumer level, service is a huge part of it. Horsepower would become pretty irrelevant if they can't compete with PSN and XBL.

I don't get Donnie's statement that everyone's reacting to... did he just say it's powerful or not?

Damn this whole thing is unnecessary and confusing. Buy it for the games damnit.

I don't get Donnie's statement that everyone's reacting to... did he just say it's powerful or not?

Damn this whole thing is unnecessary and confusing. Buy it for the games damnit.

That shadow guy tried to say that if just 3x as powerful than it's on par with the current generation. Well if you do the multipliers for the other two the PS4/720 being 3x Wii U would put them "on par" with Wii U meaning they were on par with the current gen which just showed his definition of on par was dumb as fuck.

Margalis

Banned
I'm no expert on golf. But I'm pretty sure that the term is used to describe the completion of a hole in a predetermined number of strokes. As in if you're playing a par 5 hole you get par by completing that hole in 5 strokes.

It was sarcasm.

If par for a course is 72 and you shoot a 24 you are the single best golfer of all time. So yeah, the guy who said 0.5 to 5x was in the "on par" range was kind of insane.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Wii U's CPU discussion for some reason reminds me of the SNES days. Early titles, especially such as Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Castlevania IV and Gradius III looked beautiful but those games had a ton of slowdown. My basic understanding as to why this was that 3rd parties weren't used to programming for console yet, and that also the SNES CPU was about half the speed of the Genesis. In the long run, it could be argued that Nintendo could have benefited by investing in a stronger chip, since it was major fuel for Sega in the console wars.

Just wondering if in the future, something similar will happen with Wii U vs PS4 titles. Especially if 3rd party ports of existing 360 software weren't running as well as expected at e3. By that, I mean otherwise impressive graphical capabilities, bogged down with a slow CPU.

On the other hand, I did see the new Zombi U footage and the lighting did look better than before. Which makes sense from what I've read on here. I'm absolutely not a techie but with everyone talking about the modern shaders the U should employ, it's nice to see that improvement in the updated footage.

In the case of SNES, you're right - but it wasn't that they weren't used to programming on consoles - most of the programmers were working on 8 bit consoles before that. The issues were with the fact that the SNES was really good at doing some things with sprites - like scaling and rotation, but not great at handling multiple instances of said sprites simultaneously - in part because it wasn't actually a 16 bit chip, regardless of marketing.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Any comparisons between Wii U and Ouya? Because seeing Shadowgun up close running on the Tegra 3 that will be in Ouya looks better than anything shown for the Wii U so far.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Wii U to get all the multiplat ports?

Growing up, each console had almost 100% exclusivity from the others, meaning a) each had it's own unique flavor and b) there was an actual point to owning everything. This "multiplat" phenomena began last gen but really became the benchmark of this generation.

If you owned a Wii + X (X being X360, PS3, or PC) you could play essentially everything, barring a handful of exclusives, from this gen. Where's the fun in that? I picked up a PS3 last spring, and the first five games I bought for it could have been played on the 360 or gaming PC I already owned.

Look at handhelds, they have great differentiation because they couldn't run each other's games (PSP didn't have most of the DS's features, DS couldn't run PSP level graphics) and BOOM great, unique libraries for both. That's almost twice the number of games than if both were on equal footing.

Do you guys think awesome games like Zack & Wiki would exist if Wii were just another traditional HD console? Would Assassin's Creed be around if all three held back to SD power and centered around motion controls? The answer to both is clearly "no" so I prefer Wii U to be far off the mark in regards to Xbox3 and PS4, and I hope the two of them find greater differentiation than this gen as well.

Any comparisons between Wii U and Ouya? Because seeing Shadowgun up close running on the Tegra 3 that will be in Ouya looks better than anything shown for the Wii U so far.

The Vita is more powerful than the Ouya that you don't even need to get to the Wii U.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Wii U to get all the multiplat ports?

Well, it would be a benefit if you have one console that gets everything.

onQ123

Oh Boy!

lol Tegra 3 is weaker than what's in the PlayStation Vita & you think it will compare to the Wii U ?

Amazing. :)

Donnie

Have you seen it live? Really amazed me, super clean, no jaggies anywhere. Lots of effects.

I've seen it and it looks nice and clean, but if you look at the whole package overall its not in the same league as most of the better looking multi platform PS3/360 games let alone the best on each system. As far as model complexity and textures go its not that far off. But any kind of lighting system is basically non existent, shadows are very limited and particle effects are pretty basic. Its not close to something like ZombiU either.

Top Bottom