• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell's new game of HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE revealed - Scribblenauts (DS)

LITTLEBIGPLANET PSP SENT TO DIE

9h88wn.jpg
Jackson
n21jwg.gif

9h88wn.jpg
5th Cell
n21jwg.gif

Cow Mengde said:
So no putting out fire by pissing on it?

I'd say that's a problem of lilliputian proportions.

Gaborn

Amir0x said:
This is just magic then, thanks for clearing that up. I was in the mood for magic after watching Narnia.

SERIOUSLY! No one else is the least bit perplexed about how EVERY WORD NO EXCEPTIONS is possible? Think about it! Think very hard about the magnitude of such an undertaking!

I am so buying this game.

Seriously, first chance I get I'm doing the word Adze. And it BETTER work.

lopaz

Banned
Amir0x said:
Even with the most advanced classification, we're talking about likely hundreds of thousands of combinations.

This shit is an absurd claim, I am genuinely trying to figure out where the limitation here. It has to be somewhere... UNLESS...

UNLESS...when the game finds a word it doesn't know, it asks you to draw it!

THIS IS IT. I GOT IT DIDN'T I JACKSON?

AHA

<3 you

Amir0x said:
Even with the most advanced classification, we're talking about likely hundreds of thousands of combinations.

combinations of what? properties?

This shit is an absurd claim, I am genuinely trying to figure out where the limitation here. It has to be somewhere... UNLESS...

UNLESS...when the game finds a word it doesn't know, it asks you to draw it!

THIS IS IT. I GOT IT DIDN'T I JACKSON?

Either that or the shocking revelations in the interview:

It's actually not that big. Our art style is very minimal, and we did that on purpose just because of the nature of the game, and all the animation is 3D. It's still a 2D game of course, but they're all basically "doll" animations, so that made things a lot easier. Real pixel 2D models with frames for each animation would be impossible, so it was a big goal of ours to find an art style and a way to technically still do what we wanted to do. It's simple looking, and while there isn't a lot of shading or deep colors we're still very pleased with its overall style and look. That's how we could produce so much art and still make it work.

they already did the "drawn to life" part of it themselves. the items are basically 3D models with data sheets attached. Some things will obviously have animation, but they aren't spending hours and hours perfecting spritework.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm definitely getting this game. Now to go look up Drawn to Life.

lopaz

Banned
Jackson said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Leave the drawing to Drawn to Life please

Oh you bastard :(

Penis? Will it make a penis appear? Will you get an 18 rating for all the penises????

I believe that the game will only let you input one word - but I totally refuse to believe that this game contains item forms of all the words in the dictionary.

If I type "floccinaucihiliphilipicator" and it doesn't appear...I will be ANGRY!

antispin

Amir0x said:
SERIOUSLY! No one else is the least bit perplexed about how EVERY WORD NO EXCEPTIONS is possible? *snip*

Simple -- it's not. Don't be surprised when you pick it up and it doesn't know what "boss" means; as an example.

What an awesome concept though! Bought and bought.

iby.h said:
dunno, but it would be pretty sweet. but looking at the trailer, I dont even think you can enter 2 words at the same time. I could be wrong though.

so if I just write in "awesome" I should get the same result? I'm not sure my definition of awesome is the same as everyone else.

this game must have some sort of thought reading process.

antispin said:
Simple -- it's not. Don't be surprised when you pick it up and it doesn't know what "boss" means; as an example.
It'd be awesome if it actually dropped either an office boss or a random boss from the game when you did that. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
dark steve said:
combinations of what? properties?

Properties, movements, interactions. It is obscene just how deep the english language goes.

dark steve said:
Either that or the shocking revelations in the interview:

they already did the "drawn to life" part of it themselves. the items are basically 3D models with data sheets attached. Some things will obviously have animation, but they aren't spending hours and hours perfecting spritework.

Right and this is fine, if we were talking in small quantities or even mere thousands. But this is tens of thousands! We're talking near on 200,000 words, and cutting it down to only be "nouns", you're still talking eighty thousand or more.

Just think of the effort. Maybe it's because I love English (despite my frequent butchering of it) that my mind, it is blown.

comedy bomb said:
so if I just write in "awesome" I should get the same result? I'm not sure my definition of awesome is the same as everyone else.

unless the dictionary definition of awesome describes a tangible entity....

maybe Jackson's posts should be automatically bolded.

Amir0x said:
Properties, movements, interactions. It is obscene just how deep the english language goes.

maybe you'd like to give some examples of words that could be troubling?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
comedy bomb said:

It has to be an object.

eznark

Banned
sp0rsk said:
If I can't solve problems by writing NeoGAF I'm going to be severely disappointed.

That just creates a thousand more problems and every extra second it takes you to figure out the puzzle someone calls you out for your "fucking biaz!"

THIS CONCEPT IS SERIOUSLY BLOWING MY MIND

What the fuck

Jackson, you are aware that inevitably someone is going to find something they can't summon and will bitch about how the game is a failure, right? I want you to be prepared for the internet, man.

Jackson

Ok so this is what it is!

No adjectives. Just Objects. (minus copyright and vulgarity)

Bear? Yes. Giant Flaming Bear? No.

If you want to set a bear on fire, by writing torch and setting him on fire (assuming he doesn't eat you first), then yes.

Gaborn

ShockingAlberto said:
THIS CONCEPT IS SERIOUSLY BLOWING MY MIND

What the fuck

Jackson, you are aware that inevitably someone is going to find something they can't summon and will bitch about how the game is a failure, right? I want you to be prepared for the internet, man.

I'll be SHOCKED if adze works. That's the first thing I'm going to test, but there's a REASON it's considered one of the most obscure words in the english language.

eznark

Banned
Jackson said:

If you want to set a bear on fire, by writing torch and setting him on fire (assuming he doesn't eat you first), then yes.

holy fuck man....holy fuck

Amir0x

Banned
dark steve said:
maybe you'd like to give some examples of words that could be troubling?

I don't think any one word would be troubling.

You're not getting my point. It is the SCALE of everything that is "troubling" (though the word I'd use is mindblowing), because there is just so many words to do. I don't doubt for a second that they'd be able to individually handle every single word, I am just wondering how they did most of them in one single game (vulgar words and copyrighted words excepted).

I am wondering how because it is fascinating shit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I call bullshit.

There is no way i am going to be able to write "penis" and then "tits" and then "midget" and go to town here on a nintendo system.

Gaborn

~Kinggi~ said:
I call bullshit.

There is no way i am going to be able to write "penis" and then "tits" and then "midget" and go to town here on a nintendo system.

It's annoying when people don't actually read.

Calen

Amir0x said:

We're talking near on 200,000 words, and cutting it down to only be "nouns", you're still talking eighty thousand or more.

Just think of the effort. Maybe it's because I love English (despite my frequent butchering of it) that my mind, it is blown.
Well, nouns are ALL arranged in a taxonomy. A tree structure if you will. People have mentioned the weasel -> otter thing, but what about weasel and, say, meerkat? Those are close enough that they could use the same graphic even, maybe with a slightly different color (not saying this is what 5th Cell is doing, I have no idea, but they could, to save space.) "Policeman", "Police Officer", "Sheriff", "Cop". Different words, same or very nearly the same model. I bet you could compress the idea space pretty far.

It's still a major bloody ton of nouns and yes, my mind is blown too. I can't wait to see it.

If this tech works, Jackson, I want you to march the fuck down to Capcom and demand that their Zack & Wiki team collaborates with 5th Cell

Because I'm pretty sure you all could make the best puzzle game ever

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think the developers will find they've wasted their time with this one, though.

I don't know about the rest of GAF, but I don't think I can think of more than about 20 different objects. I always draw a blank at about 20.

antispin

EmCeeGramr said:
It'd be awesome if it actually dropped either an office boss or a random boss from the game when you did that. :lol

I am going to summon dragons to solve every puzzle. And puppies.

Amir0x

Banned
cjelly said:
I think the developers will find they've wasted their time with this one, though.

I don't know about the rest of GAF, but I don't think I can think of more than about 20 different objects. I always draw a blank at about 20.

I can think of way more than 20, and I am going to fucking be digging through the dictionary to find every bizarre word I can think up :lol

Gaborn said:
I'll be SHOCKED if adze works. That's the first thing I'm going to test, but there's a REASON it's considered one of the most obscure words in the english language.

You know, by talking about adzes in this thread, Jackson's probably already written it down as something to be added. It'd probably take like thirty seconds of editing another sprite. :lol

turk128

There's a simple way for them to handle words that are not in their database: render the 'object' in JAV pixel censorship :D

antispin

Jackson said:

So what was the inspiration for this? Text adventures?

eznark

Banned
antispin said:
I am going to summon dragons to solve every puzzle. And puppies.

I'm just going to summon dragons and puppies and watch the magic. Virtual Mike Vick, only better.

Jackson

~Kinggi~ said:
I call bullshit.

Amir0x can you like point people to my post (#70) that says WHAT does and does not work since people keep reposting the same crap?

Gaborn

EmCeeGramr said:
You know, by talking about adzes in this thread, Jackson's probably already written it down as something to be added. It'd probably take like thirty seconds of editing another sprite. :lol

That's exactly what I'm hoping for :lol

justchris

Jackson, how does this thing handle spelling differences. Does it see a difference between a gryphon and a griffin? What about theatre and theater? Check and cheque? Or does it just assume everyone is an american and spells things correctly? :D

antispin

cjelly said:

Dictionary! They should add a dictionary as the strategy guide for the game.

I know what the first thing I'm gonna do when I get this game: I'm going to try to find an object that the game doesn't know (no vulgarity of course).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Gaborn said:

How can it be considered obscure when it was featured prominently in a sub-plot of an episode of Home Improvement?

Of course, then the built-in spellchecker flags the word while I'm writing this post, so hey! Maybe not everybody's seen that episode.

Gaborn

ixix said:
How can it be considered obscure when it was featured prominently in a sub-plot of an episode of Home Improvement?

Of course, then the built-in spellchecker flags the word while I'm writing this post, so hey! Maybe not everybody's seen that episode.

Yep, although it does have many more modern uses. Also, sometimes the word is spelled "adz" instead, and that's NOT flagged by spell check. Though wikipedia prefers adze so who knows.

Jackson. Answer these two questions please.

What about toboggans? To some people that is a sled and to others it is a type of hat.

You claim that Every mundane object imaginable will be spawnable? I.E. Towelette, Doorknob, Bark, Headset, Floppy, Picture Frame, Rubberband, Toenail, etc.?

Llyranor

Interesting concept. A tad skeptical, though. Both in terms of the scope, and how it'll actually turn out in terms of puzzle-solving gameplay. Will keep a close eye on it.

EmCeeGramr said:

I might as well get this out of the way then:

LIGER!

Top Bottom