• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell's new game of HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE revealed - Scribblenauts (DS)

Cipherr

PseudoKirby said:
either way this isnt really anything that can only be done on the DS..

you can do the same damn thing with the PC (keyboard), the 360 (Voice command, chatpad, keyboard) or PS3..

Dude what the...

Segata Sanshiro said:
As to your last comment... first of all, it's a complete non sequitar to what we were talking about, so I don't know what the fuck there, and secondly - seriously, who the fuck cares? Is this really your thought process for every game you play that isn't out on every system available to mankind?

"BOY THIS GAME IS GREAT BUT IT ISN'T REALLY ANYTHING THAT CAN ONLY BE DONE ON THE SYSTEM I'M CURRENTLY PLAYING SO FUCK IT."

Jesus, quit the hobby. Hell, quit the human race. We'd all be better for it.

This.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder what happens if you type in "apocalypse".

Quite an ambitious effort, and a truly innovative way of making it possible.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rentahamster said:
I wonder what happens if you type in "apocalypse".
You made me think the game should feature some sort of hidden smart bomb, to help people stuck with harder puzzles.
When you type in "awesome" three times in a row, the Awesome Smiley appears and you automatically clear the level, but you can use it only three times in the whole game.
If you try using it more, you die for excess of awesome.
Not a serious suggestion. Maybe.

Sciz

A Link to the Snitch said:
I hope you can summon Earth.
Now the first thing I'm going to try is sequentially writing earth, fire, wind, water, and heart, and then I'm going to be disappointed. Thanks a lot.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sciz said:
Now the first thing I'm going to try is sequentially writing earth, fire, wind, water, and heart, and then I'm going to be disappointed. Thanks a lot.
3539xc6.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's going to be interesting as hell (mechanic wise) when someone spawns a black hole, or a parallel universe, or a super nova, or some such cosmic thing.

Haunted

GDGF said:
It's going to be interesting as hell (mechanic wise) when someone spawns a black hole, or a parallel universe, or a super nova, or some such cosmic thing.
:lol man you guys

All these will probably just spawn a small book with the description "there's a picture of a ______ in here". :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
Haunted said:
:lol man you guys

All these will probably just spawn a small book with the description "there's a picture of a ______ in here". :p

:lol I'd be happy if they just gave everything a bizarro color palette swap for a few seconds.

Edit: Even better, Galactic Fork :lol

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
GDGF said:
:lol I'd be happy if they just gave everything a bizarro color palette swap for a few seconds.

Or the screens go black and the text "You've just destroyed the planet... good job. Game over." appears.

I hope there's a "Scattegories style puzzle" option. You must solve this puzzle using only words that begin with...

*RNG does stuff*

Z! Damn it!

loosus

Banned
Have they thought about the sciences? Medical terminology for objects? Computer/networking terminology for objects? Nautical terminology for objects? Astronomical terminology for objects?

Slang?

Sub-cultures?

Archaic terminology?

Different spellings among countries?

Different spellings among regions within countries?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:

Fuck.

GDGF said:
t8mfl2.jpg

NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
THIS is wtf I've been talking about since 2004 and the DS was first revealed. I never would have thought of this implementation but it embodies my philosophy of the sort of revolution games can take from the rinse repeat gameplay experiences we have become accustomed. Great Job guy I will be buying this.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Cow Mengde said:
You realize a Styracosaurus isn't that big, right? It's actually one of the smaller ceratopsians.

Yes I am aware, but Styracosaurus is awesome and I'd want one all the same, and if he can't knock down the tree then I shall still love him all the same after and just get a Brachiosaurus to pick stuff off the top of the tree in its stead.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SovanJedi said:
Yes I am aware, but Styracosaurus is awesome and I'd want one all the same, and if he can't knock down the tree then I shall still love him all the same after and just get a Brachiosaurus to pick stuff off the top of the tree in its stead.
:lol

Have they thought about the sciences? Medical terminology for objects? Computer/networking terminology for objects? Nautical terminology for objects? Astronomical terminology for objects?

For things like medical terms, they will probably link many similar terms to a single object. For instance, with bones they could have about a dozen different bone types: Skull, jaw, rib, ribcage, pelvis, arm, hand, foot, metacarpal, clavicle, scapula, and generic small bone. Then when they need a leg bone, they could use a longer arm bone. Phalanges would be longer metacarpals, It won't be exact or scientific, and a lot of the terms would lead to the same on screen object, but you would get a response for all of them. Similarly, nautical terminology would lead to a few different lengths of rope and shapes of wood, computer terminology would lead to different circuit boards and cords, and so forth.

Archaic words, regional words, and slang will be tougher, since there are so many words and there are fewer resources to find them. I expect that they will get a great many of the more common ones, but I doubt they they will get them all.

What I hope is that this engine keeps getting expanded after this game gets out. Imagine a Zelda/Pokemon crossover where you play a wizard who can summon any object he encounters in order to solve different dungeons (maybe he could only summon each object a limited number of times), or an open world survival horror game where you need to use every object on hand just to escape the zombies/aliens/ghosts and survive the elements.

7Th

The interaction between the objects on the screen is the do-or-break element of the game. It's impossible to be "limitless" if you want to be challenging. It’s really not about definitions; it’s about the relationships between definitions. The strengths and weaknesses of each animal, the differences between different materials, the skills given to each human character… I just don’t know; I feel this is going to end up as another Spore.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Torhthelm Tídwald said:
For things like medical terms, they will probably link many similar terms to a single object. For instance, with bones they could have about a dozen different bone types: Skull, jaw, rib, ribcage, pelvis, arm, hand, foot, metacarpal, clavicle, scapula, and generic small bone. Then when they need a leg bone, they could use a longer arm bone. Phalanges would be longer metacarpals, It won't be exact or scientific, and a lot of the terms would lead to the same on screen object, but you would get a response for all of them. Similarly, nautical terminology would lead to a few different lengths of rope and shapes of wood, computer terminology would lead to different circuit boards and cords, and so forth.

Archaic words, regional words, and slang will be tougher, since there are so many words and there are fewer resources to find them. I expect that they will get a great many of the more common ones, but I doubt they they will get them all.

What I hope is that this engine keeps getting expanded after this game gets out. Imagine a Zelda/Pokemon crossover where you play a wizard who can summon any object he encounters in order to solve different dungeons (maybe he could only summon each object a limited number of times), or an open world survival horror game where you need to use every object on hand just to escape the zombies/aliens/ghosts and survive the elements.

Thats the future!

That also seems like a logical evolution, since this game is doing the same thing just in the context of different puzzles.

jrricky

Banned
I want to write shark and it appears, then because there isnt any water it just flops around. Then I say pier and I climb on it and call forth the sea. So the shark would start to swim around in it.

Then Ill just jump in the water and let the shark eat the kid..........

MUHWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............

Im a going to find everyway to torcher this kid.:lol

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This is awesome. I hope Valve hooks em up.

Additionally; Jackson. Localising this game will be pain.

How many objects are there in the game?

Sciz

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
What I hope is that this engine keeps getting expanded after this game gets out. Imagine a Zelda/Pokemon crossover where you play a wizard who can summon any object he encounters in order to solve different dungeons
I'm thinking greatest polymorph spell ever.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
jrricky said:
I want to write shark and it appears, then because there isnt any water it just flops around. Then I say pier and I climb on it and call forth the sea. So the shark would start to swim around in it.

You could summon an iron maiden then make him climb in. "but that won't help me get a starite!!"

SovanJedi said:
Would I be able to summon a tiger in outer space?

Do you mean "while in outer space", or to summon a tiger THAT is in outer space?

Former, yes. Latter, no. I imagine they'll have items for those crazy things, like space, so summon space, and then summon a tiger.

jrricky said:

The SEA isn't an object. When are people going to READ the OP?

Nicktals

Banned
FoxHimself said:
The SEA isn't an object. When are people going to READ the OP?

Wait, how is the Sea not an object? Or is this some nitpicky thing, where you would agree that an ocean is, but for some reason a sea isn't?

I mean, I can touch a body of water......

Nicktals said:
Wait, how is the Sea not an object? Or is this some nitpicky thing, where you would agree that an ocean is, but for some reason a sea isn't?

I mean, I can touch a body of water......

I really don't think water is defined as an object. Also, "Space" isn't an object either.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
A Link to the Snitch said:
Do you mean "while in outer space", or to summon a tiger THAT is in outer space?

Former, yes. Latter, no. I imagine they'll have items for those crazy things, like space, so summon space, and then summon a tiger.

To be honest I was expecting someone to post that 'what are you doing in space tiger?' picture as a response because I forgot to save it last time.

I can't actually imagine a tiger being useful in space.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's way to early in the morning to even comprehend this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Despite having 'watched' the trailer more than once, only when I viewed it today did I see past the Scribblenauts logo and witness the cop chasing the doughnut.

I really hope the item interaction is as funny as this throughout the game. I want dogs chasing cats, cats chasing mice, and two mice together solving every puzzle in the game.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
handofg0d: not hard for a fairly generic and basic character design to look like that :lol

well, this was bumped relatively recently, so i don't feel too bad...

so we're interviewing Jackson tomorrow for 1UP FM -- i'm sure he doesn't have time to answer everything in this thread, but if you have any interesting discussion points or questions that amount to more than "will it have object x? object y?," feel free to leave them here and i'll ask some of the best ones (and give you credit, of course). thanks!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Was probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but I was curious to see how they'll handle homographs (same spelling different meaning).

Bow (fashion accessory for your neck area or a cute knot of ribbons)
Bow (ranged weapon)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_homographs

Now that I look, though, there aren't really that many that are both nouns at the same time. I guess it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Nocebo

Rentahamster said:
Was probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but I was curious to see how they'll handle homographs (same spelling different meaning).

Bow (fashion accessory for your neck area or a cute knot of ribbons)
Bow (ranged weapon)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_homographs

Now that I look, though, there aren't really that many that are both nouns at the same time. I guess it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
He said there's a system for that. I assume you'll get to choose which one you want to spawn. Not that hard really.

Anyway this is fuck awesome! I'm going to go out and treat myself to their previous games this weekend (locke's quest and drawn to life) because these guys are just too cool and i want a taste of their creativity! And will be impatiently awaiting this game.

I'm going to find a way to solve every puzzle with either a lemur or a cement truck.

Peru

rocksolidaudio said:
well, this was bumped relatively recently, so i don't feel too bad...

so we're interviewing Jackson tomorrow for 1UP FM -- i'm sure he doesn't have time to answer everything in this thread, but if you have any interesting discussion points or questions that amount to more than "will it have object x? object y?," feel free to leave them here and i'll ask some of the best ones (and give you credit, of course). thanks!

Well I'm not registered there, and I'm sure this is a natural question to ask anyway, but I'll just repeat it: We understand some basics of the technology behind spawning this insane amount of 'things', but if he could talk a bit about how the various objects will interact with eachother I'd be very happy. To what degree can we use spawned objects on other spawned objects?

Nocebo

Yeah I'm wondering how breakable objects and containers work. Can you put something into something? Can you spawn an egg and break it, having the yoke spill out?
You can burn things, but can you also heat (metal objects) or freeze things?

I think most objects' only function is likely to be the throwing of said object.

edit:
I feel this should have been in the OP too. It's not like these guys just sat around one lazy afternoon and thought up things off the top of their heads. They naturally picked up a dictionary and stuff.
Miah: Haha. It'd be pretty tough to find things by the time we're finished with the game, yeah. I mean, we can't have copyrighted materials, and we won't do anything vulgar, but outside of that people are going to be really happy, and really surprised. I mean we've spent three months of just hardcore list-making. A gigantic excel sheet of just going through dictionaries, and going through encyclopedias, and just grabbing anything and everything there is to get. Find and define every object. We have things in here that are so obscure that I don't think people are going to ever find them unless we release official lists someday. People won't write half the things that exist in this game because they're so obscure. You just don't think of them.
I mean they even got obscure shit.

ananag

Neo Member
How could this even fit on a DS cart?

I hope people are not disappointed by typing in something and not having it appear. There must be some common things which were missed.

Nocebo

ananag said:
How could this even fit on a DS cart?

I hope people are not disappointed by typing in something and not having it appear. There must be some common things which were missed.
Dude, they grabbed a dictionary AND an encyclopedia and went through every page. I doubt they missed anything common. I doubt people will be disappointed especially if they have as much trouble reading as they do with writing.

Top Bottom