• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell's new game of HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE revealed - Scribblenauts (DS)

Stumpokapow said:
now, consider how much space the art assets for 50,000 objects would take up.
Well, I guess that depends how complicated things get. If I wanted to store, say, 50,000 Animal Crossing designs it would only take about 25 kilobytes since they're very low detail still images. Each item in this game can take several thousand times that much space and still be well within current DS card limits.

pollo said:
i want to write "mets" and see the game just skip you to level 99 and then completely collapse

Welp, my post in this thread is accounted for. :lol

Also, this is instantly my most anticipated DS game. If this game executes the way it's been described, it could even be the most creative game ever made - period.

I still hope they include elements from Drawn to Life and Lock's Quest.

Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to summon various Clockworks and those Shadow guys? And the main species of DtL?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, I guess that depends how complicated things get. If I wanted to store, say, 50,000 Animal Crossing designs it would only take about 25 kilobytes since they're very low detail still images. Each item in this game can take several thousand times that much space and still be well within current DS card limits.

I wonder what the kb size for each item is. football would be pretty small, but some items are bigger so probably take up more space, like tree or vampire.

and 25KB for each item? if you had 50,000 of those, that'd be 1.25 GB. Each item would need to be well less than 25 kb to have a word count into the tens of thousands.

Jackson

DeadFalling said:
Jackson. Answer these two questions please.

What about toboggans? To some people that is a sled and to others it is a type of hat.

There's a system for that.

DeadFalling said:
You claim that Every mundane object imaginable will be spawnable? I.E. Towelette, Doorknob, Bark, Headset, Floppy, Picture Frame, Rubberband, Toenail, etc.?

We have all of those except doorknob!

I'm kidding... we have doorknob.

Jackson said:

Does 5TH Cell own the copyright for Lock's Quest or Drawn to Life? Or are they allowed to use anything from those games?

Gaborn

Jackson said:

Oh, sure, confirm THOSE but ignore my comment/question about adzes (or, depending, adzs).

Jackson

Gaborn said:
Oh, sure, confirm THOSE but ignore my comment/question about adzes (or, depending, adzs).
:lol

I did answer it. I said it'd be impossible for me to say yes to everyone asking if X is in, so my answer is -- if you can think it you can write it.

Gaborn

Jackson said:

I did answer it. I said it'd be impossible for me to say yes to everyone asking if X is in, so my answer is -- if you can think it you can write it.

:lol Yeah, but WOULD you confirm it if someone thought of something you hadn't added yet?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So if this game is actually fun, puzzle wise, i predict great success. I imagine the first couple of hours though will be me trying to break the game. :D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Jackson said:

I'm less concerned with if, and more curious how they'll appear. (I did bring this up earlier in the thread). Like mountain, forest, ocean, lake, desert, and skyscraper. All objects, but too big to just spawn like the other items, so what would happen?

Jackson said:

Good! Then answer my question from before!

EmCeeGramr said:
Hey Jackson, if I make a sack, can I put things in the sack and then swing the sack around or throw the sack?

Because I was also thinking about making a bunch of doorknobs.

Peru

I mean, it seems the game will be worth it just to watch animated pixel versions of things that would never ever be sprite'd otherwise. Such as the whole dictionary.

Others have said this already, but even if the game can't generate every ridiculous thing you can possibly think of, it still sounds like it'll be amazing. Heck, half of the fun would be trying to figure out if you can stump the game with something really obscure.

I'm really excited about this, Jackson. It's cool to think about the levels of real player-interaction that could be built up from using a system like the one you're making. It's like a sweet adventure game where I don't have to pixel-hunt for the item I need, just think up whatever I want!

~Kinggi~ said:
So if this game is actually fun, puzzle wise, i predict great success. I imagine the first couple of hours though will be me trying to break the game. :D
I doubt the puzzles will be all that hard to figure out. We're so used to trying to solve puzzles through game logic that it will probably be fun for a bit just solving them in a weird way before it gets boring.

What will be interesting, however, is beating puzzles fast. Like setting the ladder on fire. It works and it's inventive, but it probable takes more time than just throwing a baseball at the Startite.

Jackson

Remember this is just our first reveal, over the coming months we'll get more in depth into all the awesome and amazing things you can do that people aren't even talking about here or elsewhere.

And a lot of questions people have will eventually be answered, but we're not going to show our full hand almost a year before the game is out :)

ksamedi

Jackson said:
Remember this is just our first reveal, over the coming months we'll get more in depth into all the awesome and amazing things you can do that people aren't even talking about here or elsewhere.

And a lot of questions people have will eventually be answered, but we're not going to show our full hand almost a year before the game is out :)

You guys really have a hit on your hands. I was just watching the IGN vid in the living room and everyone in the room became interested. What an amazing concept.

Galactic Fork said:
and 25KB for each item?

No, he said 25KB for 50,000 of them, each Animal Crossing picture is 32x32 at 4bits per pixel.

This game looks like it's using polygons rather than bitmaps though, so it will be pretty efficient. The only big problem I can see is actually having to create all the data.

Apoc29

Everyone's so excited about whether an object exists in a game, but I'm a lot more interested in how they are going to encode behaviors of said objects. Off the top of my head, I can only imagine half the stuff you can think of will amount to "throwing" it at the tree to get the starite, and half the animals you can think of will have no application to the problem and just walk around like, well, animals. I'm not doubting the developers have a solution for this, I'm just like the rest of you: my mind is blown as to how it's all gonna work out!

Apoc29 said:
and half the animals you can think of will have no application to the problem and just walk around like, well, animals. I'm not doubting the developers have a solution for this, I'm just like the rest of you: my mind is blown as to how it's all gonna work out!

That sounds like it's half the idea, as they point out with the goldfish example.
There might be a puzzle where you need to use a goldfish though, to get a shark out of the way or something. If there is some sort of food chain in place, then a lot of animals could be useful when combined with other animals.
And I'm guessing the vampire will be scared of garlic and stakes. :lol

This is exactly the kind of thing that interests people...just crazy combinations.

First thing I want to do is spawn a nuke and hit it with a hammer.

Then I'll find some way to have an octopus interact with a theremin.

edit: I can't wait to see the evil that will be unleashed when 4chan gets ahold of this game.

ultim8p00

Banned
This sounds too good to be true.

I mean anything?

Could I spawn like a trampoline? Could I spawn a nuke? Hookers? A van?

ultim8p00 said:
This sounds too good to be true.

I mean anything?

Could I spawn like a trampoline? Could I spawn a nuke? Hookers? A van?

Nothing vulgar, copyrighted, or proper nouns. So three of those can be summoned, I'm guessing.

So I wonder if they're going through a list of nouns and just putting as much as they can in/

jrricky

Banned
So for this to work:
-can only be nouns
-can only be objects
-cannot use the same word again in the game (delete the save file then?)
-cannot use vulgar or copyrighted words.
-single words not sentences
-everything else goes.....

jrricky said:
So for this to work:
-can only be nouns
-can only be objects

I think you can use the word again. You just can't beat a level twice with the same word.

Also GAF, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what if 5TH Cell is given permission to use assets copyrighted by the game's publisher? Like, for example, if Nintendo published it, you could write in Super Mushroom, and use your new height to grab the Starite from the tree.

Jackson

jrricky said:
So for this to work:
-can only be nouns
-can only be objects

In my interview I go over this, but again --

You cannot use the same words again if you replay a puzzle you've beaten. But in other levels you can, if you play through a level 3 times, you've unlocked it and can write anything again (this number may change)

You can write multiple words if the word creates 1 object, for example - "baseball bat", but not sentences.

:)

rocksolidaudio said:
Jackson, please check your PMs :)

Wut? Oh! hey look I got PMs! :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jackson said:
In my interview I go over this, but again --

You cannot use the same words again if you replay a puzzle you've beaten. But in other levels you can, if you play through a level 3 times, you've unlocked it and can write anything again (this number may change)

You can write multiple words if the word creates 1 object, for example - "baseball bat", but not sentences.

:)l
Can I create shortcuts? It'd be especially nice for multi-word objects I like to use often.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Oh shit I'm buying this. I still have a hard time believing they've done very single object in the English language (minus the vulgar/copyright). The thought is simply too mindblowing.

PseudoKirby said:
I forsee ambition bottlenecked by a lack of technology

I can guarantee it wont be any item...
I'm sure even within the rules they've put in place, they'll still miss a few words (languages are pretty big things, after all), but I fail to see how Bob Q. Forumer can make guarantees against the repeated word of the game's designer.

This is some crazy shit. I can't even begin to imagine how this is possible. I thought Drawn to Life was pretty impressive, but this is just mind boggling.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So Jackson, do you have to take a pad and write down every new object you see on your way to work every morning?

antispin

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm sure even within the rules they've put in place, they'll still miss a few words (languages are pretty big things, after all), but I fail to see how Bob Q. Forumer can make guarantees against the repeated word of the game's designer.

Bob Q. Forumer is never wrong. For example, here I propose that the name of the game be changed to "Got Would?" It's simultaneously erotic and metaphysical. Subtitle can be "Adventures in Subtext". Make it so Jackson.

Gaborn

antispin said:
Bob Q. Forumer is never wrong. For example, here I propose that the name of the game be changed to "Got Would?" It's simultaneously erotic and metaphysical. Subtitle can be "Adventures in Subtext". Make it so Jackson.

Yeah? well, I propose they license the song Imagine and do a new trailer around a stylized version of the song. I know they CLEARLY borrowed a few notes from it there near the end and it works GREAT.

avcables

Banned
scribblejesuit2.jpg

I won't settle for less.

Top Bottom