• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell's new game of HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE revealed - Scribblenauts (DS)

linsivvi

Schwowsers said:
I think they're promising a bit too much. Doubt it will deliver, but we'll see.

Yeah. While creating the art assets is a daunting task, it's not the most difficult part of the development. The hardest part is how to make the objects interact in meaningful ways. Can light a match and burn woods and then pour some water to take out the fire? Can I put water in a bowl and then put it in the freezer and it becomes ice? I am guessing that there's only very limited actions you can do with the objects that you see on screen.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This is one of the coolest game concepts I've ever seen. I've got the basic idea handled, but what about scale? Writing 'tree' is fine, but what about forest? Does it just create a background with lots of trees? Or ocean. Hmmm I'm going to try spaceship... It won't help me get the starite out of the tree... but fuck that, I'll have my own spaceship.

And to the person who is going to make dragons and puppies to solve everything, sadly I'd bet the dragon would eat you and the puppies.

Despite the hugeness of this project, it's pretty much impossible for it to really fail.

It's bound not to have every noun you can think of, but even just seeing what is in there will be tons of fun. The puzzles could end up being lame, but again the hugeness of the concept will more than make up for it. Plus, the idea of barring words you've already used when replaying levels is an absolute stroke of genius.

Galactic Fork said:
This is one of the coolest game concepts I've ever seen. I've got the basic idea handled, but what about scale? Writing 'tree' is fine, but what about forest? Does it just create a background with lots of trees? Or ocean. Hmmm I'm going to try spaceship... It won't help me get the starite out of the tree... but fuck that, I'll have my own spaceship.

And to the person who is going to make dragons and puppies to solve everything, sadly I'd bet the dragon would eat you and the puppies.

Well, I imagine forest would either be a small-scale forest, or a gigantic forest that you get lost in. The interview does mention that you can summon a tsunami.

Also, this game struck me as so cool I wrote as much as I could about it on Wikipedia.

antispin

Even if the game completely fails to deliver, I'd still pick it up for making the attempt. This is the most ballsey concept ever and I have to support it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Since it's the fall of next year, the DSi should be out. I wonder if they'll offer downloadable updates for when players report words that aren't there that should be.

antispin said:
Even if the game completely fails to deliver, I'd still pick it up for making the attempt. This is the most ballsey concept ever and I have to support it.
Pretty much...every gamer should be obligated to support this. Hell, if it even reaches 1/10 of its potential, that would be completely outrageous. The ds will never stop...ever...

This sounds too amazing to be true. God damn. Drawn To Life was fun, but this is just insane. I really hope this delivers. I have no reason to doubt 5th Cell. :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oh come on now... "anything"???

I refuse to believe that for a moment.

"Nearly anything most people would think of" -- I'd consider that, but still be suspicious.

Can we get a word count for the game? What's the total number of nouns the game "knows"?

Haunted

After thinking about this for a bit, I'm going to have to rescind my previous assessment of this gameplay concept being 'ambitious' and call everyone in 5th Cell part of the decision to undertake a concept of this scope 'batshit fucking insane'.

That's a lot of words you're talking about here. I'm so importing this if it delivers.

Jackson

Haunted said:
After thinking about this for a bit, I'm going to have to rescind my previous assessment of this gameplay concept being 'ambitious' and call everyone in 5th Cell part of the decision to undertake a concept of this scope 'batshit fucking insane'.

That's a lot of words you're talking about here. I'm so importing this if it delivers.

it'll deliver.

Ramenman

Galactic Fork said:
What if you write "someone who can't read"?

Half the NeoGAF posters spawn instantly on your tiny DS screen.

Edit :

And 5th cell has all my trust on this one. I'll try it even if everyone says it sucks.

Leezard

I'm so buying this day one. This is one of those games that you would dream of when you were about ten years old. So awesome.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
vareon said:
This is a megaton, Jackson. I wonder if I wrote "god", it's you who'll appear.
:lol :lol :lol

Why do I see myself trying to use a badger on everything? I love this concept, lots.

Peru

Leezard said:
I'm so buying this day one. This is one of those games that you would dream of when you were about ten years old. So awesome.

Exactly. It really does remind me of the creativity you felt in pushing a game to its limits in the text adventure games where you were awed at how much the game responded to. Except this time it responds to many more words and you can combine objects. As others have said, even if this fails spectacularly as a game, as an event and a playground it really can't fail.

Stop It said:
:lol :lol :lol

Why do I see myself trying to use a badger on everything? I love this concept, lots.
I guess you could use trampolines to bounce your beavers everywhere....or have a tornado hurl them....

Im looking at what i just typed and realizing that this is indeed an actual possibility amuses me.

buffi

Banned
I'd say that the developers suffer from the Peter Molyneux syndrome.

edit: Also, guns aren't concidered vulgar right?
I want a bazooka.

edit2: Also, will I be able to summon booze? If so, can I drink large amounts of it?

edit3: Or can I force my summoned badger to drink it?

edit4: Will I be able to summon a pool, fill it with acid, summon a trampoline and then force a clown to trampoline into the acid while my army of drunken badgers are watching?
Do I score extra points for hitting the clown mid air with my bazooka?

So many questions :(

buffi said:
I'd say that the developers suffer from the Peter Molyneux syndrome.

edit: Also, guns aren't concidered vulgar right?
I want a bazooka.

edit2: Also, will I be able to summon booze? If so, can I drink large amounts of it?

edit3: Or can I force my summoned badger to drink it?
vulgar: piss shit fuck cock cunt penis vagina asshole tits semen motherfucking donkeyfucking unclefucking menstrual blood jamming a laundry pole up a willing ocelot's bumbum

Haunted

I hope stupid/violent choices punish the player, like the bazooka accidentally missing and destroying your save data or something.

I'm joking, fucking around and testing the limits will be awesome.

I'm intrigued. It could work, but it could just as easily just be gimmicky and tedious. The problem with Drawn to Life was that the things you drew didn't have much of an effect on the game. This seems to remedy it, but if it's too limited in scope, the game could quickly get boring and monotonous.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
What about things that have offensive/rude connotations but are referring to actual normal items, like ass and... er, the derogatory f-word that's likely to get you permabanned from here if spoken excessively, but can also related to a bundle of sticks used for firewood?

Top Bottom