• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell's new game of HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE revealed - Scribblenauts (DS)

This is impressive! Very ambitious stuff.

What happens if I write Mountain, Tunnel or Galaxy? :D

Stumpokapow said:
assuming two-byte characters and ten characters a word (realistically if the game is using ascii, it's seven bit or one byte characters and few words are going to be ten characters), you're looking at twenty bytes per word. that's fifty words per kilobyte, or fifty thousand words per megabyte. multiply by five languages, and you're looking at five megabytes per fifty thousand objects, conservatively.

Doing it that way would be VERY inefficient, all those null characters for nothing. If you were really trying to optimise it for space you could get it down to 5 bit characters (no numbers etc.) The words could also be indexed for the first 2 or 3 letters for efficient searching, so the first few letters of each word wouldn't actually need to be stored each time.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This seems like the coolest game ever. Seriously. I need a new DS (I was waiting for the DSi)

I want this so hard.

Jme

Words can not describe the level of astonishment and excitement I am feeling right now.

I would literally play this game for days non-stop, not even trying to solve puzzles, just summoning random shit.

Serious question/concern about ESRB rating:

Because I assume you could spawn say... a chainsaw, and then a Cop, and then use the chainsaw on the Cop - (for example) couldn't your game *possibly* contain high levels of violence that would warrant an M rating?

Or could you shoot for an E and throw up a warning that says:
Player Imaginations not rated by the ESRB.

later said:
This is gonna take a looooooong time to translate. PAL release?...

The football in the EU release needs to be spherical. :D

ultron87 said:
So what if I want to solve this puzzle using Justice and the Good?

I think you can only use physical objects, Good isn't a noun, Justice could work if it gave you a Judge, I guess.

Edit: wait, good can be a noun, I see what you're saying.... but I think you know the answer. :)

ultron87

I'm want to get Platonic on this game's ass and start throwing out abstract concepts and see if they somehow translate in the game. So what if I want to solve this puzzle using Justice and the Good?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Graphics Horse said:
Doing it that way would be VERY inefficient, all those null characters for nothing. If you were really trying to optimise it for space you could get it down to 5 bit characters (no numbers etc.) The words could also be indexed for the first 2 or 3 letters for efficient searching, so the first few letters of each word wouldn't actually need to be stored each time.

Indeed, that's my point; even assuming the most conservative possible scenario (16-bit characters, every word at max word size, no intelligent indexing, etc) you're still at a place where item properties and item data are going to be much more limiting than word input.

While localization of the game might be arduous, it wouldn't be technically tough to fit five language dictionaries onto a card.

Stumpokapow said:
Indeed, that's my point; even assuming the most conservative possible scenario (16-bit characters, every word at max word size, no intelligent indexing, etc) you're still at a place where item properties and item data are going to be much more limiting than word input.

While localization of the game might be arduous, it wouldn't be technically tough to fit five language dictionaries onto a card.

Yep, I thought you were saying the opposite, sorry. Scrabble games have been around for quite a while.
Looking at the way they're drawing the objects, each object will probably be 1k max, much less for simple ones and palette swaps.

Haunted

Graphics Horse said:
The football in the EU release needs to be spherical. :D
Is it bad that I thought that as well? :lol

Also, this seems like a pretty cool title to learn different languages. Some vocabulary, at least. :p

xfactor

Banned
The first word I'll write on the game will be "shotgun".

Then I'll write 'zombie' for the next 50 consecutive times.

...Please add in a "copy/paste last word written" feature to this game

This is amazing if they can pull it off, which it seems like it's already well past the concept stage, and hence, already has been pulled off.

Atreides

Jackson said:
Of course it'll be out EU, fully localized.

Nice, but I have a question about this. In some languages, you use just a word for a given concept, while in other languages you could use two words for the same concept. That could mean that you could summon some objects in a language, but not in other. Are you going to just translate the English version word for word, or are you going to create new object for words in other languages that don't have a one-word translation to English?

Anyway, I hope that the localized versions have also the English version, so I can play it if I want. Just making sure, because sometimes the games don't have the option to play in English here in Spain (not very common, but with games with lots of things to localize like this one it's more likely to happen).

Putting the localized versions aside, I suppose that all the common words (words in the dictionary) will be included. But will things like slang, jargon or technical words also be included?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amazing concept. I’m too bitter and sceptical to believe I will be able to summon any object I can think of, but the inevitable sheer abundance of crap to summon is exciting enough.

And I know you guys are only including singular objects (eg: no "Giant Flaming Bear"), but please allow "Purple Monkey Dishwasher" to work.

So, come on Jackson, give us rough estimate: how many words do you have right now.

You don't have to be specific, just give us something like, "over 2,000 objects!" or something.

Koomaster

Oh wow, what a great concept. This game went on my 'to-watch' list; can't wait to check it out, sounds like a blast! I will definitely be testing the limitations of the object creation system - that's half the fun! :lol

Tetsuo9

can you please put a penis under a stealth word (peins or something) for personal gaf use?. I just need to solve some puzzles with a penis.

Tetsuo9 said:
can you please put a penis under a stealth word (peins or something) for personal gaf use?. I just need to solve some puzzles with a penis.

Helll no! Once everyone finds out, there will be chaos.

But if I type "freeman" I want a gravity gun!

Hootie

I'm going to remain extremely skeptical until I here it's the real deal.

This is just too good to be true. Too awesome.

Oh and a good word could be "FHUTA", and when written, Wollan's colored outline guys will appear to help you out....except for the yellow guy who will be doing what he does best.

Wow, this sound awesome, still not convinced they will pull it all off flawlessly. But if they do: Holy shit!

What happens when I write penis?
Jackson said:
Ok so this is what it is!

No adjectives. Just Objects. (minus copyright and vulgarity)

Bear? Yes. Giant Flaming Bear? No.

If you want to set a bear on fire, by writing torch and setting him on fire (assuming he doesn't eat you first), then yes.
Should fall under that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there going to be an on screen keyboard also? Or do I have to actually individually write every letter, everytime? I have shitty handwriting, I feel like that would get kind of annoying after awhile no? And is there going to be spellcheck?

Computers have ruined us :(

Nicktals

Banned
John Harker said:
Is there going to be an on screen keyboard also? Or do I have to actually individually write every letter, everytime? I have shitty handwriting, I feel like that would get kind of annoying after awhile no? And is there going to be spellcheck?

Computers have ruined us :(

Yes, in the IGN interview it says you can use an on screen keyboard.

EDIT: Spellcheck wasn't mentioned though.

Even if there was a 100 object limit in the game I'd still be excited about this. That alone would give a huge chunk of flexibility to the design. Is there a cap to the amount of letters you can write?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I had this idea, like, two years ago.

But I'd never on my life execute it nearly as well as 5th Cell.

Godspeed you gentlemen.

Something like this with an object creation system and a spore-like content distribution system would basically amount to a truly endless game. With the collective imaginations of the entire userbase constantly creating objects, we'd truly be looking at the ability to summon anything you can imagine. Really anything.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EmCeeGramr said:
You don't have to be specific, just give us something like, "over 2,000 objects!" or something.
I need more than 4.5 times that figure to start being excited, to be honest.

civilstrife said:
Something like this with an object creation system and a spore-like content distribution system would basically amount to a truly endless game. With the collective imaginations of the entire userbase constantly creating objects, we'd truly be looking at the ability to summon anything you can imagine. Really anything.
Yup.

Lyude77

Death_Born said:
Helll no! Once everyone finds out, there will be chaos.

But if I type "freeman" I want a gravity gun!
Are gravity guns copyrighted? If not, that should totally be in.

civilstrife said:

"penis"
"vagina"
"penis"
"peins"
"balls"

I can see the potential already!

Opiate

I'm not nearly as flabbergasted by the scope of this project as some others seem to be.

Not because "every word" wouldn't be difficult, but because I immediately understood that it isn't actually "every word," it's simply "so many words that the average person would likely never find an exception." That's still a very challenging project with a lot of effort put in to it, but it immediately reduces the scope from "impossible" to "really hard." Then you worry only about nouns, and then only nouns that have physical, objective form. Then you eliminate proper nouns and vulgarities.

And then you begin the classification process. I wouldn't be surprised if I find a word or two that doesn't work. Nevertheless, I can imagine a dedicated and systematic developer doing a very good job of blanketing the dictionary and finding all the words that meet the description above. Again, fantastic idea, Jackson. This reminds me of King's Quest, and the old days when I would type in "Poke Princess with Sword" or something to that effect just to see what was possible.

samratty

This sounds like a really cool concept and very ambitious.
Gonna keep my eye one this one for sure!

5th cell am gods

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
man that`s the reason i love my ds....09 will be so awesome :D

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Will this work?

staypuft_marshmallow_man.jpg

Top Bottom