• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60fps games during the 6th generation

FourMyle

This is something that has been interesting me over the past couple of days with all the fps talk surrounding the PS4/XBO, so I've been wondering.. which games ran at 60 fps during the PS2/GC/Xbox days?

I was a teenager during that gen and ONLY paid attention framerate when it became a problem and dropped to unplayable levels. For example, the post-game fight against One Sin in .hack//GU Vol. 2: Reminisce slowed the game down to a crawl. That monster was huge and had a lot of pretty effects going on which just destroyed the framerate.

The only PS2 games I know of that run at 60 fps are Devil May Cry 3 and most fighting games. Does anyone know of any others, including GC and Xbox games as well?

Zophar

It was mostly the same situation as it is now, but people look back at the 6th generation with rose colored glasses. Fighting games, action games (GoW, DMC, Ninja Gaiden), sports games, and the occasional exception like Panzer Dragoon or Ratchet and Clank.

Ouren

i dont think my old console tv had that refresh rate.
58-25-inch-Console-TV.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2 was 60fps. MGS3 was 30fps, though.

I honestly NEVER paid attention to framerate. So playing this game I always thought, "why does this game feel so awesome to play?" Little did I know that years later I'd be spending literally thousands of dollars chasing that dream for every game.

antitrop

I honestly NEVER paid attention to framerate. So playing this game I always thought, "why does this game feel so awesome to play?" Little did I know that years later I'd be spending literally thousands of dollars chasing that dream for every game.
Yup, Raiden's naked cartwheels were smooth as fuck.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Star Ocean 3 ran at 60fps. In battle and during exploration, only cutscenes were 30fps.

PowderedToast

capcom had a good track record, both maximo games ran at 60fps along with all 3 dmc's. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting

if dreamcast counts, that console must have the largest number of 60fps titles for a libary of its size. tons of stuff there

dab0ne

To get the ps2 60fps did you need component or composite? Did that even matter or was it all to do with the refresh rate of the tv?

Prophane33

You forgot Dreamcast!?

Sonic Adventure 2, Virtua Tennis, Alien Front Online, Crazy Taxi, DOA2, Soul Calibur, Vanishing Point, Daytona USA, Rayman 2 and there's around 20 more.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ironically, God Hand is 30fps and I consider that the best competetive action game out there.

But yeah, Ninja Gaiden, DMC3, MGS2, Onimusha 1 (and 2?). So beautiful.

Of the games I played

Forza
Forza 2
DoA 2
DoA 3
Gran Turismo 3
NG
NGB
TimeSplitters 2 (and TS1?)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3

but again, that's just a list of the games I played.

Miker

Ironically, God Hand is 30fps and I consider that the best competetive action game out there.

But yeah, Ninja Gaiden, DMC3, MGS2, Onimusha 1 (and 2?). So beautiful.

I'd pay stupid amounts of money for a 60 fps God Hand. Although of all the top-tier action titles, it's the one that suffers the least from being 30 fps.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Metal Gear Solid 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metroid Prime

So basically the best games of their respective consoles (MGS3 fans please come at me)

antitrop

I'd pay stupid amounts of money for a 60 fps God Hand. Although of all the top-tier action titles, it's the one that suffers the least from being 30 fps.

Is PCSX2 not capable of running God Hand at 60fps? I've never tried emulating it.

rjc571

Banned
PS2 had buttloads of 60 fps games

Posted this in another thread:

Let me look through my collection:

Fighting Games: Tekken series, Soul Calibur series, Virtua Fighter 4/Evolution

Racing Games: Ridge Racer V, Gran Turismo series, Burnout series, Wipeout Fusion, ATV Offroad Fury, Auto Modelista, Enthusia, Grand Prix Challenge, V-Rally

Action Games: Devil May Cry series, God of War series, Castlevania series, Rygar, God Hand, Chaos Legion, Zone of Enders series, Onimusha series, Genji, Mark of Kri, Extermination

Shmups: Gradius V, R-Type Final, Silpheed

Platforming Games: Jak series, Ratchet and Clank series, Sly Cooper series, Ape Escape 2 (and 3, but 3 had tons of slowdown for some reason while 2 runs perfectly), Klonoa 2, Rayman 3, Maximo series, Crash Bandicoot series, Transformers Armada albeit with heavy slowdown, Mega Man X8, I-Ninja

Sports Games: Madden, NCAA, MLB, SSX series, Tony Hawk series, Downhill Domination

Action-Adventure Games: Metal Gear Solid 2, Dual Hearts, Legend of Kay, Kya, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

RPGs: Star Ocean 3, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories, Tales of Abyss/Legendia, Dark Cloud, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath series

Rhythm Games: Frequency, Amplitude, Gitaroo Man, Rez

Misc: Flipnic Pinball, Bombastic, Stretch Panic

I left out obvious stuff like pure 2D games/compilations

And this is just my personal collection, there are tons more 60 fps PS2 games that I don't own.

EDIT: Apparently I'm wrong on God Hand? Huh.

nkarafo

I still can't believe this was on the Gamecube. Fantastic looking game.
Progue Leader was an even more impressive feat actually. A launch game with amazing graphics that could still hold up until the end of that generation, running at 60 fps. Although it had some drops.

In more ways than one

769239.gif

Framerates were a non-issue with me back in the 6th. They still sometimes aren't important now. Gameplay was more paramount, while graphical power was pretty good. We expect graphics to be excellent now in the 8th, but so much has changed since then, including what companies/franchises used to be on top and gameplay expectations.

MGS2 and MGS3 were both bad.

wtf.gif

I know you're joking, or I hope you are

Orayn

I may be wrong, but I always thought that games that were 30fps on console can't be emulated at a higher framerate.. Wind Waker, for example.

Generally not, but some games have unlocked framerates and some are compatible with specific hacks that allow them to run faster.

DedValve

Banned
It was mostly the same situation as it is now, but people look back at the 6th generation with rose colored glasses. Fighting games, action games (GoW, DMC, Ninja Gaiden), sports games, and the occasional exception like Panzer Dragoon or Ratchet and Clank.

I think your very wrong on that.

Maybe if we where to count the overall games of that generation there could be more 30fps than 60 fps games in total but it was very clear that the most popular, most succesful and most widely recognized games of that generation where almost exclusively 60fps.

In contrast to today where the majority of popular and successful games are 30fps and 60fps happens to be the exception. Actually scratch that the majority of the games this gen was 30fps TARGETED.

Animal Crossing GC is 60 FPS. Then again I'm trying to recall a single nintendo game that wasn't 60fps. Pikmin is the only one I can recall.

rjc571

Banned
I guess I'll boot up God Hand with PCSX2 tomorrow and find out. Worst case, I'm still playing God Hand, so it's all good. :)

I found this post from a while back, looks like it's possible: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27170304&postcount=109

The only ways that emulators can improve a game's framerate are if they emulate the CPU at a higher clock rate, or if the game was programmed with a fps limit and you hack the game to manually remove the limit. If that's not the case with God Hand then you can't play it at 60 fps on PCSX2. Note that FRAPs will always display the framerate as 60 on PCSX2 when it's running at full speed, even if the game is actually running at 30.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
60fps Godhand would fuck the games animations/timings up ROYALLY.

Top Bottom