• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

62% of people pretend to have read classic novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cels

if anyone has ever read bleak house, read that and war and peace and tell me which one was the harder read. never reading dickens agan.

Kater

Banned
Why lie about it?
The only thing on that list that is interesting is 1984.
Edit: And Catcher in the Rye.

confession time: i've read one book for pleasure in my entire life and that was goosebumps in like the 5th grade.

Which one was it? The Haunted Mask, Welcome to Dead House, How I Got My Shrunken Head were my favourite. Jeez, I was a huge fan as a kid. In 1997, went to either universal studios or disney and got these:

goosebumps_action_figures_by_digi_matrix-d6lh1ll.jpg

I don't feign to reading classic novels and outright tell people I have little interest in them since my taste in books is so specific, but I certainly feign interest with friends that live and breathe classic novels.

They literally asked the whole group "Which classic author would you go on a date with?" I responded [to myself], "Why am I friends with these people again?" and most everyone said an author that went over my head while I said aloud, "Ernest Hemingway because he was hot in Midnight in Paris."

Were these a bunch of housewives, lol? My favourite scene.

Zeppelin

if anyone has ever read bleak house, read that and war and peace and tell me which one was the harder read. never reading dickens agan.

I don't find either of them are hard reads really. War and Peace is thick, but it's not hard. Most of Dicken's stuff was serialized and read by the masses. Which is true for a lot of the classics, they were the Game of Thrones of their time.

Dickens is pretty hit or miss for me. His bildungsromans does very little for me, but I love A Tale of Two Cities to death.

Thing is, if you find a book hard, just drop it (but give it a fair chance first). It's not for you and there's little point in forcing yourself through it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think I've read like 2 of those. I haven't read very many books. I've probably only read like 100 books from the start of high school (books before that don't really count).

Derwind

I think I've read like 2 of those. I haven't read very many books. I've probably only read like 100 books from the start of high school (books before that don't really count).

You don't read many books, nah, just a shit ton, more or less...

Can that at least fill two bookcases? If so that probably qualifies as a small libraries worth.

I can't count the number of books I've read since the start of highschool but I'd imagine its nearly the same. Not counting school textbooks and assigned reading material.

Anura

I have to question why people think not wanting to read books in someone's leisure time is a sign of stupidity? Like how does not reading or not wanting to read literary fiction somehow makes someone lesser in regards to intellect?

Sure some interesting ideas are in fiction but it is not the only way these ideas can be expressed and it just seems to me that most use books as pompous display even going so far as to fake reading them as we see in this study

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I have to question why people think not wanting to read books in someone's leisure time is a sign of stupidity? Like how does not reading or not wanting to read literary fiction somehow makes someone lesser in regards to intellect?

Sure some interesting ideas are in fiction but it is not the only way these ideas can be expressed and it just seems to me that most use books as pompous display even going so far as to fake reading them as we see in this study

Well, if you read a lot of well written stuff you're probably going to be a better speller and have a better conversational vocabulary than someone who doesn't. I would say being lower in those areas doesn't necessarily make someone stupid.

Anura

Well, if you read a lot of well written stuff you're probably going to be a better speller and have a better conversational vocabulary than someone who doesn't. I would say being lower in those areas doesn't necessarily make someone stupid.

I won't deny that at all, in fact it's something I could certainly use! I think most people agree with what you said but my comment was more directed at the kind of people who see books as how I stated it. Anecdotal but, I personally have seen this and some posters here seem to reflect it

Dec

Anyone else just wait for the movie these days?

Ain't no body for got time for reading books

90% of the time you're waiting over 10 years and getting an inferior version. It isn't like it takes any longer to read a book than to play a game for example, why write off things you think you'll enjoy because you have to read to enjoy them?

Krelian91

[*]1984 by George Orwell – 26%

[*]War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – 19%

[*]Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – 18%

[*]Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – 15%

[*]A Passage to India by E M Forster – 12%

[*]Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – 11%

[*]To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – 10%

[*]Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – 8%

[*]Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – 8%

[*]Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – 5%

Bolded the ones I've read.

I tried to read War & Peace and Crime & Punishment but never finished them. I should try again.

noquarter

I don't understand why 1984 is so high on that list, it is really pretty short.

Its also the only one I've read on that list. I've tried Crime and Punishment a few times, just when I get to part Two I end up having something else to do. It also doesn't help that in my mind I've already made up an ending to the book by that point and now it feels I have read it.

Maybe this will be my goal next year.

Hmm, so I did lie about finishing some books back in school, to the point where I'm not sure which ones I finished and which ones I didn't...

I don't understand why 1984 is so high on that list, it is really pretty short.

It talks about gov't and surveillance and privacy, and gets alluded to in any such conversations, and "big brother is watching" is really famous. It is probably the most likely of those to be mentioned in a conversation so ppl have the most chances to pretend they read it.

I got screwed at a job interview because I was asked stupid questions like
''what books have a read?'' ''What sports do you practice?''

I lied on both counts but it was obvious that I lied because of my eyes. I wasn't expect these questions for my type of job that has nothing to do with reading books or physical activities.

That is the only time that lied about having read some book because it was a job interview.

Maybe I should have been honest and said that I play video-games when it came to a video-game developer job

Okamid3n

I've read LotR/Hobbit and another book in that universe. I read 1984 too but I pretty much don't remember ANYTHING from it.

Which makes me wonder...how do they find out wether someone lied or not?! Sorry if this was answered somewhere. I guess I...didn't read the whole topic. ;)

Herne

It's weird that so many lie about it. My initial reaction is the same as many here - why lie at all? I've read LOTR and To Kill A Mockingbird many times each, but I have no interest in the others.

Aurongel

The only piece of classic literature that I've ever actually lied about reading was Catcher in the Rye. Oddly enough, people seemed less impressed when I told them I also read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky (which I actually did) than when I told them about Salinger.

I guess Catcher in the Rye is just more recognizable than Crime and Punishment or War and Peace.

Is it that bad?
David Copperfield is just too long and the better characters don't show up often enough. It has its brilliant bits sure, but i kind of lost interest after he grows up. I was hoping bleak house would be better.

jtb

Banned
the thing about 1984 is that it's so deeply ingrained in pop culture that you don't really need to read it to be able to reference it or understand those references, which is why I think it's so easy to lie about it.

Grzi

1984 by George Orwell – Read it.
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Not yet. Probably not ever.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – Read it.
Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Read it.
A Passage to India by E M Forster – Never heard of it.
Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – Read it. And some of his other works.
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Read it.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Nope.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Never.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – Never.

Same as me lol

Also, I did read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, that could technically count.

It's weird that so many lie about it. My initial reaction is the same as many here - why lie at all? I've read LOTR and To Kill A Mockingbird many times each, but I have no interest in the others.

Read 1984.

It's short, well written and has one of the best gut-punch third acts in classic literature.

Then read Brave New World so you can tell everyone it's more accurate and seem smart.

User 406

Banned
From that list, I read 1984, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lord of the Rings, and the first three were required reading for high school English courses. So 4/10. I wish it were 3/10, I was an angsty disaffected teen at the time and I still wanted to slap the living shit out of Holden Caulfield for being such a whiny do-nothing little prick. That book was such a waste of my god damn time.

Don't know if these can be considered "classics" but I wish I could be lying about having read: Anthem (thankfully the ONLY Ayn Rand book I've read, and fuck you, AP English), Waiting for Godot (FUCK YOU AP ENGLISH), and Stranger in a Strange Land.

tmarques

Hard in what sense? I thought the beginning of Bleak House was a tad slow, but once it picked up I couldn't put it down. The chapters related by the girl (can't remember her name) are a breeze. The ones by the narrator are considerably less straight-forward and require a lot more attention, but I still wouldn't call them a hard read. Brilliant novel.

Ashes

Banned
1984 by George Orwell – yes.
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – no. Watched the film.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – No. Watched the film.
Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Yes.
A Passage to India by E M Forster – No.
Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – Yes.
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Yes.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – ;)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Yes.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – Yes. I think.

Anyone who claims to have read Finnegan's Wake and understood it is a filthy liar.

Fixed.

Finnegan's Wake is the best book. I've never finished it, I constantly thumb through it, and with a few exceptions rarely understand what is going on. I call it my favorite book, I've never read.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Don't know if these can be considered "classics" but I wish I could be lying about having read: Anthem (thankfully the ONLY Ayn Rand book I've read, and fuck you, AP English), Waiting for Godot (FUCK YOU AP ENGLISH), and Stranger in a Strange Land.

Did you read a novelization of Waiting for Godot, or did you just read the script of the play in class?

I think it's a good play, but I don't think either of those would be a very good way to experience it.

Derwind

Does Treasure Island count as a classic novel? Because it was one of the first big novels I read(Its not that big).

Whaaaaaaat?

I still hate Jack Warner for cancelling the Gary Cooper/Bette Davis film.

A story about a miserable fuck who cheats behind his wife's ailing back with her cousin. Him and his lover go sledding, wreck themselves in a moment of "let's kill ourselves" and then the wife ends up taking care of both of them.

Between that and the boring prose, fuck that book.

Ashes

Banned
Seriously. There are so many historical, geographical, and classic references, coupled with a vocabulary list that no one on this planet is sufficiently prepared for, that the book is almost incomprehensible.

I've been beaten, but Finnegan's wake is a better fit for what you are suggesting. I will agree that it is probably the most popular classic read with the least finishes.

User 406

Banned
Did you read a novelization of Waiting for Godot, or did you just read the script of the play in class?

I think it's a good play, but I don't think either of those would be a very good way to experience it.

It was the script of the play in a small paperback. Experiencing it as an actual play would have definitely been a lot better, since the physical comedy involved would have had some impact. But ultimately I found it boring, and writing a forced excessively long paper analyzing it sucked any possible enjoyment out of it.

I think that going through the process of learning literary analysis in high school killed any potential pleasure in actually doing so for me. I can still appreciate it when a writer uses the various literary tricks of the trade, but only if it's in the process of telling me an engaging story. So I can't really get into a novel that doesn't have an interesting plot on the surface even if it's a brilliant allegory for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom