• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70-80% of Splatoon players use motion controls two months after launch

Coming from a great interview between Eurogamer's Martin Robinson and co-director Tsubasa Sakaguchi.

I'm really pleased that this has been the case, as the stigma surrounding motion controls in general -- especially around more traditional console games -- had me worried that a large proportion of players had ditched them. Especially when I saw more people mentioning that the gyroscope controls weren't for them, versus those championing them. A real win for great use of motion controls, then.

That interview also is worth a read above and beyond this tidbit of information. It explores some of the creative choices behind how the game works, and also reveals that the August update will add more content to the game, which will no doubt be unlocked on a weekly basis to ensure the playerbase stays fresh (sorry).

The motion controls are fucking amazing. It reminds me of cilantro. If it doesn't click with you, then you hate it. But for those of us that get it...I'd never go back. It feels so good.

Crayolan

Not surprised the majority use them, but I didn't expect such a large majority.

Now we need to know what percent of A+ rank players use them.

Kathian

Banned
Its interesting isn't it? Can you achieve the same effect on a normal gamepad? Am not sure, feels like people need to feel their hands further apart; and something that will twist in your hands less.

It was an obvious benefit though when you played with similar gyro on the 3DS; how I played all of RE Revelations. Hope to see Nintendo continue with it.

random25

Motion/gyro controls are great for aiming. Feels natural and intuitive, and can only be rivaled by a mouse and keyboard setup. Should have been a standard for consoles, honestly.

StayDead

The motion controls are fucking amazing. It reminds me of cilantro. If it doesn't click with you, then you hate it. But for those of us that get it...I'd never go back. It feels so good.

This is pretty much how I feel. It clicked with me immediately, but my step brother took a while to "get them" so he at first hated them.

I can't play without them. They're just so much more responsive and accurate. I feel the same about Wiimote controls on FPS games too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My wife and daughters don't use motion controllers as they use the paint roller. I assume its the younger audience or less experienced gamers who don't use them...

I've tried. I really have. I just can't play with the motion controls. I'm just terrible at multi tasking. If there was some way to make the motion controls only vertical...

Yeah, I didn't like them during the testfires or at launch but once I gave them another shot a couple weeks after launch there was no going back.

Jumping into a quick 180 and splating some joker that thought they were sneaking up on you never felt so good ;)

Kandinsky

Gyro controls for aiming are pretty much the only way to go. It's also noticeably better in games like Majora's Mask 3D.

This is what I dont get, I mean dont you have to move the thing around 180º just to hit something behind you with a slingshot?, how is that better, I'm probably missing something here o_O

Kathian

Banned
My wife and daughters don't use motion controllers as they use the paint roller. I assume its the younger audience or less experienced gamers who don't use them...

Doubt it; out the box its played with gyro - most people won't even try the other setting.
Some weapons also require it; I can't imagine the brush without it.

As a PC gamer who hates playing console shooters because of how awful analog controls are, I absolutely love the gyro controls. It enables me to play much closer to how I would with a mouse. Glad to see most players have seen the light.

Now Sony and MS need to bring out revisions to their controllers that support gyro controls. I want this in every console shooter.

SerTapTap

Waggle sucks, gyro aiming is awesome. It's ridiculous that PS4 doesn't make Gyro aiming abundant.

As a PC gamer who hates playing console shooters because of how awful analog controls are, I absolutely love the gyro controls. It enables me to play much closer to how I would with a mouse. Glad to see most players have seen the light.

Now Sony and MS need to bring out revisions to their controllers that support gyro controls. I want this in every console shooter.

The DS4 totally has a much improved gyro in it, try playing Flower on PS4. I suspect MS has already released too many Xbone controller revisions to add a major feature, not to mention motion + Xbox is a dirty word.

K2SonicFan

Neo Member
When I first started playing I didn't know that you could switch the Gamepad controls to traditional. I honestly HATE motion controls in this game, mainly because I play this game at my personal desk with a small TV at an angle. It just makes more sense to use the regular hand controls.

Z..

This is what I dont get, I mean dont you have to move the thing around 180º just to hit something behind you with a slingshot?, how is that better, I'm probably missing something here o_O

You mostly use the right stick for horizontal movements, the gyro is for vertical and slight horizontal adjustements.

I hate gyro controls, but there's something very off about Splatoons non motion controls, so I've had to use the gyro.
Normal doesn't feels as tight as say Gears or Uncharted. Like they sabotaged them so you'd have to choose gyro.

Kathian

Banned

You don't use 100% motion controls; you use the sticks/buttons to get in a range and tweak with the gyro controls. We've all had instances in stick based shooters trying to shoot something but the sticks cause the aim to pass over the object each time or take a bit more time to tweak.

Instead you do it automatically together; allowing very quick play.

Cowie

There's something that feels off about the way the game controls when using sticks so I pretty much had to use gyro controls. They're not bad, but I move around in my seat a lot and it gets annoying having to recenter frequently.

I've tried. I really have. I just can't play with the motion controls. I'm just terrible at multi tasking. If there was some way to make the motion controls only vertical...
You use the stick for horizontal camera movements, then gyro for small adjustments and vertical aiming.
I have and I hated them as well :/
It seems you're using them wrong. Only use them for vertical aiming and small adjustments

Calamari41

41 > 38

It's not all or nothing, you use the gyro for the precision part of the aiming. You can still use the stick for the broad "move the camera behind you" kinds of tasks, though I would argue that turning around and quickly re-centering with a button press does a better job of this.

I haven't played Splatoon but gyro controls are great in OoT 3DS and Face Raiders. Hopefully more games are quick to pick up on control schemes that bridge the gap between analog stick and mouse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

You shouldn't be using gyro to turn. You should use the right stick to pan horizontally and the gyro for vertical movement and precision aim.

Top Bottom