• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70-80% of Splatoon players use motion controls two months after launch

Z..

have you fiddled with the sensitivity settings for the gyro controls? haven't been back to your thread

I've tried everything... (Very) slowly getting better ever since giving up on gyro but still can't play decently with anything except blasters or rollers/brushes.
I've completely given up on gyro, though. I'll try again if some other game alows y axis movement on the stick with gyro, maybe that's it.

I'm 25. For 23 years I've played games with all sorts of control options under the sun. I've used M+KB, joystick, racing wheels, controllers and gyros. I will say it out loud for everyone now, gyros are as precise for me as M+KB. Anyone that is saying it isn't is just being a stubborn mule that doesn't want to do what game players should be able to do since the Atari, adapt.

Most of my time with the game has been spent with gyro on. I'm lvl 20 and have completed the singleplayer. I literally cannot use them. I wish I could. I just can't.

You're not using the gyro correctly if that's what you look like, you only need to move the controller slightly.

Depends. I've tried all sensitivities, anf if you use a low one, you do feel like a moron, lol.
=D

Seanspeed

Banned
Waggle sucks, gyro aiming is awesome. It's ridiculous that PS4 doesn't make Gyro aiming abundant.
The specific waggle as an input motion sucked, yes. But Wii's pointer controls were pretty awesome for certain types of games. Like third person shooters. Resident Evil 4 was a *total* blast on the Wii because of the controls. Way, way better than using a gamepad. It's a shame this wasn't taken advantage of more as we've all missed out on what could have been a great advancement in shooter controls.

As for the PS4/DS4, I think somebody else made a good point that the Wii U's gamepad probably makes this sort of gyro aiming better than normal because your hands are farther apart, giving you a finer level of control than you would with your hands close together like with a gamepad.

I agree though, I'd like to see more games take advantage of it. Maybe with Morpheus around the corner....

it went full circle then, joke aside, you only need to tilt the gamepad slightly

Seriously.

I can play Splatoon exactly like this:
gaming_couch.jpg

Saying gyros need to much effort is like neglecting the second analog stick in a generic console shooter because "one is enough" and the second is too "demanding. Gaming should be relaxing".

As for the PS4/DS4, I think somebody else made a good point that the Wii U's gamepad probably makes this sort of gyro aiming better than normal because your hands are farther apart, giving you a finer level of control than you would with your hands close together like with a gamepad.
Not really. But the gamepad offers accurate 9-axis motion sensing. That´s something you simply can´t achieve on competing last gen controllers.

Kadin

I've tried adjusting to the motion controls numerous times but the normal control method works so well as it is that I haven't pushed myself too much. Maybe one day but I still don't like them.

Even if I do know that, I still do the damn turn, my brain sucks I guess :p

That's the thing tho, I have issues trying to coordinate that haha

Yeah might be my problem as well, but at 38 is even harder.
I was the same at first. HATED IT. but tried it in single player and realised how much easier it made squid mode and I forced myself to keep using it and got used to it.

Z3M0G

Gyro-assisted aiming is best aiming.

Every console shooter should support it. And every console should have gyro in their controllers. This should have become a standard 7-8 years ago... we'd be in a much better console FPS world if it had. I blame 360's lack of gyro for that...

Does Xbox One have it yet?

phanphare

Banned
The specific waggle as an input motion sucked, yes. But Wii's pointer controls were pretty awesome for certain types of games. Like third person shooters. Resident Evil 4 was a *total* blast on the Wii because of the controls. Way, way better than using a gamepad. It's a shame this wasn't taken advantage of more as we've all missed out on what could have been a great advancement in shooter controls.

I agree though, I'd like to see more games take advantage of it. Maybe with Morpheus around the corner....

kind of cool how two gens in a row Nintendo has had a control set up that allows your hands to be a bit more comfortably apart from each other. that was one of my favorite things about using the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, same with the gamepad. it allows my wrists to stay flat for an entire gaming session.

KHlover

Banned

I don't know, the Gyro controls are also in the Zelda 3DS games and Uncharted Golden Abyss and work flawless in each of those games. Especially in Majora's Mask 3D, Gyro aiming turned the previously tough-as-nails hard Town Shooting Gallery into a fucking joke. Whereas before you had to memorize the location of each target and then struggle against the controls to hit all targets before they despawn you can now do this minigame from reaction alone.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't like the Gyro controls much but if they could just patch in Wii Remote support I'd be all over that,

Glad to see so many people are enjoying an alternate control scheme though. :)

Z..

kind of cool how two gens in a row Nintendo has had a control set up that allows your hands to be a bit more comfortably apart from each other. that was one of my favorite things about using the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, same with the gamepad. it allows my wrists to stay flat for an entire gaming session.

Agreed on the wiimote because you could have your hands in any position you wanted. Disagree on the pad. Only use it if pro isn't an option precisely because it feels (slightly) less comfortable.

Clockwork5

I wonder what percentage resigned to using gyro controls because aiming with the right stick is particularly terrible in Splatoon.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I started with the motion controls for a couple weeks. I was shocked at how much turning them off slowed me down.

phanphare

Banned
Agreed on the wiimote because you could have your hands in any position you wanted. Disagree on the pad. Only use it if pro isn't an option precisely because it feels (slightly) less comfortable.

well you're in the 20% ;p

it depends on the game for me, games that only use the triggers are more comfortable on the gamepad. games that use the shoulder buttons as well as the triggers are more comfortable on the pro controller.

Vecks

I wonder what percentage resigned to using gyro controls because aiming with the right stick is particularly terrible in Splatoon.

This is me right here. I mean, I like the motion controls and prefer them anyway, but at the same time, the stick controls in Splatoon feel really off to begin with.

geordiemp

Yeah, I mean, the fact that auto-aim is kind of a necessity and has been a standard with dual analog controls says a lot.

No, there is no auto aim, its aim assist which is slowing the cursor rate of movement as you get over the target for dual analogues. Often called stickyness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WIVLXxfPFM

The hit box size for different weapons will probably also be in play for gyro aiming...its just not so obvious. Its probably also a stat for mouse control but its probably low.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not really. But the gamepad offers accurate 9-axis motion sensing. That´s something you simply can´t achieve on competing last gen controllers.
Not really? Want to expand on that?

I don't know, the Gyro controls are also in the Zelda 3DS games and Uncharted Golden Abyss and work flawless in each of those games. Especially in Majora's Mask 3D, Gyro aiming turned the previously tough-as-nails hard Town Shooting Gallery into a fucking joke. Whereas before you had to memorize the location of each target and then struggle against the controls to hit all targets before they despawn you can now do this minigame from reaction alone.
Bit of a different situation there, where the display is on the controller. It's a bit different when the display is a distance from you and you're having to use controls to finely judge inputs over that distance.

The farther apart your hands are, the less sensitivity there will be to your movements, meaning you can be more accurate, without really needing to sacrifice on speed.

phanphare

Banned
Oh, definitely. The only thing wrong with the gamepad is precisely the L/R placement.

yep, pretty much. they made the ergonomics of the gamepad work best if you have your index fingers on the triggers. the reason it works so well with Splatoon is because your sub weapon is on the right shoulder button while shooting is on the right trigger. since you'll never be doing those things at the same time it's feasible to use your index finger for both.

geordiemp

My point stands, no matter what it's called or how exactly it's implemented.

Watch the video, its a slight slowing down, very little, it changes the hit boxes (or size of peoples virtual heads is easy way to think about it) depending on the gun stats.

My point is that gyro aiming is probably doing the same thing.

If the gun only hits the pixel you are on with your cross hair, then fair enough there is no aim assist. If you can hit things with 'splash damage' without being pixel perfect....then the game has hit box aim assist.

There is no point to be made unless you know the hidden aim assist values of gyro..vs controller for a game.

Daedardus

I don't like the gyro controls in this one, it is a bit like patting your head while rubbing your belly at the same time and in hectic situations the camera gets too easily out of control. I'm good enough with sticks only, so I don't really need them too.

That said, gyro controls can be a plus, really liked them in OoT3D for quick hookshot action.

Coming from a left-handed who was able to get used to the controls in Kid Icarus: Uprising...

I just can't handle the gyro controls. I'm guessing it's because of the way that I'm always fidgeting and shifting myself as I play, along with the fact that I'm lying down instead of sitting upright (no backrest, so lying down is more comfortable). It's an unconscious thing I do whenever I get tense. As such, my aim is always off when I use the gyro, even at the lowest sensitivity. I see myself aiming towards the sky/ground several times during a match, and it gets disorienting.

I gave it the old college try; it simply does not work for me.

Neoxon

I don't like the Gyro controls much but if they could just patch in Wii Remote support I'd be all over that,

Glad to see so many people are enjoying an alternate control scheme though. :)
They literally can't. The game relies heavily on the GamePad's touch screen. Maybe for the Battle Dojo they can, but not online.

B4s5C

It reminds me of cilantro. If it doesn't click with you, then you hate it. But for those of us that get it...I'd never go back. It feels so good.

Some people who don't like cilantro, don't like it because it tastes like soap. Its genetic so unfortunately, I will never enjoy cilantro.

On topic: Motion controls are fantastic. Could PS4 and Xbox One incorporate some sort gyro-thumbstick hybrid shooting? I know PS4 has gyros but not sure on Xbox One.

Not really? Want to expand on that?

Bit of a different situation there, where the display is on the controller. It's a bit different when the display is a distance from you and you're having to use controls to finely judge inputs over that distance.

The farther apart your hands are, the less sensitivity there will be to your movements, meaning you can be more accurate, without really needing to sacrifice on speed.

I don't think it works better because of the size. I think it works because of its superior tech.

Dunkley

I prefer the dual sticks but the gyro controls are fantastic too. Had some fun times watching less controller-accustomed friends wrecking shit online because they never had to struggle with the controls to start gitting gud.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Watch the video, its a slight slowing down, very little, it changes the hit boxes (or size of peoples virtual heads is easy ay to think about it) depending on the gun stats.

My point is that gyro aiming is probably doing the same thing.

If the gun only hits the pixel you are on with you cross hair, then fair enough there is no aim assist. If you can hit things with 'splash damage' without being pixel perfect....then the game has hit box aim assist.

Well by its very nature this game has splash damage, since you're firing out a broad flow of liquid. The cursor still does not slow down when you find yourself aiming at another player, though. I could be mistaken on this, so if I am please correct me. Anyway, the gyro implementation in the other Nintendo games mentioned, like the 3DS Zelda remakes, are indeed pixel perfect.

Peltz

I honestly believe that people who hate motion controls suck at real life athletics and have no touch.

If you never figured out how to catch a ball, swing a racket, or do anything remotely requiring reflexes combined with touch, then I could see how you wouldn't be able to have finesse with motion controls or even pointer controls.

My friend came over and tried to play Splatoon with motion controls and couldn't hold the Gamepad steady because "it felt too heavy". This guy also got winded the same day while walking 7 city blocks and never played sports growing up.

If the Gamepad feels to heavy for you, I genuinely think you need to change your lifestyle. It's 3.5 pounds and you're holding it with 2 hands. If you can't hold it steady, then of course the motion controls are "going to suck and feel inaccurate." But I imagine most things in life must suck for such a person.

End rant.

geordiemp

Well by its very nature this game has splash damage, since you're firing out a broad flow of liquid. The cursor still does not slow down when you find yourself aiming at another player, though. I could be mistaken on this, so if I am please correct me. Anyway, the gyro implementation in the other Nintendo games mentioned, like the 3DS Zelda remakes, are indeed pixel perfect.

There is no real slowing down in destiny either if you watch the video...its really hard to notice for many of the guns...Thats my point.

The other way to do it is to make the hit box bigger...which is what destiny does a little and differs by gun type. If there is splash damage and you can hit people without being pixel perfect, the game has aim assist by design.

I am not saying the game is good or bad, just discussing relative merits of controls. People thinking a control scheme is better stating there no auto aim is just plain wrong is my point, and very miss-informed.

PS I think its good to have different ways to play a game, I used to like Wiimote in RE4 for all its flaws. Its a change of pace.

Sakura

The analogue controls are so poorly done in the game, so this isn't exactly surprising.
Even if gyro wasn't an option controlling with the sticks would be hard because it is handled so shitty.

noshten

Can you imagine what type of god like creature can do this without autoaim and sticks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oxdfUypBOI
Or what type of beyond godlike Japanese dude:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26699020

Charger is a class that is most influenced by snap aiming and I would say nearly impossible to get as good as DUDE on a charger without using Gyro.

Rollers also need to utilize Gyro flicking and being able to quickly shift the flick path while jumping is key to getting multiple kills. And slam-dunking on someone with the Gyro feels damn satisfying.

For Blasters for example jumping around is pretty important and to that while aiming is one of their main strategies. Don't think that would be easy with the sticks.

Anyhow I've barely used sticks before so the KM to Gyro was a very smooth transition but I still haven't quite mastered the Charger which for me is the most gyro intensive weapon(for snap charging).

Can't get with 'em. Dual analog just works far better for me.
Gyro users get to jump and shoot while actually aiming though. Definitely a good advantage. Annoys the shit out of me when people do it excessively while I'm trying to splat them.

nikos

Not a fan of the motion controls but my girlfriend uses them. She was having a difficult time with the camera, because she's not used to these types of games, but now she's beasting online.

I hate gyro controls, but there's something very off about Splatoons non motion controls, so I've had to use the gyro.
Normal doesn't feels as tight as say Gears or Uncharted. Like they sabotaged them so you'd have to choose gyro.

Like what? A deadzone, badly tuned accelerating aiming?

edit:

the reason the non motion controls are off is because you can only edit the speed of the Y axis and there is no auto aim.

So yeah, sabotaged stick aiming.

Top Bottom