• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70-80% of Splatoon players use motion controls two months after launch

Izayoi

Banned
I top my team almost every single game (usually 1200-1600 without the win bonus) and I use the sticks. This statistic certainly explains why seemingly everyone online is fucking garbage. The motion controls suck and were clearly designed for children and casuals.

phanphare

Banned
I top my team almost every single game (usually 1200-1600 without the win bonus) and I use the sticks. This statistic certainly explains why seemingly everyone online is fucking garbage. The motion controls suck and were clearly designed for children and casuals.

lol, I love comments like these

Probably because the vertical sensitivity is insanely out of whack with the dual stick controls. Seriously, Nintendo, it's so much higher than the horizontal sensitivity and it makes precise aiming with just the sticks impossible. Let us adjust vertical and horizontal sensitivity independently.

It will never happen though. So I guess just get used to the gyro controls. It's definitively better than the sticks since the vertical sensitivity is so bad on the sticks. Just gotta get past that learning curve with the gyro.

ChrisD

They're ace. Even my in-law uses them, and he can't stand most motion controls. My brother also touts their effectiveness, and he's an avid CS:GO player.

I can't play with the sticks. Too slow or too quick. I also disliked that you couldn't move the y-axis while Gyro is on, but when you think of how easy it'd be to screw up your aim by moving diagonally rather than just horizontal or just vertical the lock makes sense.

massoluk

Banned
It's ok if you prefer dual-analog to gyro because you are used to it. But I feel that it's pretty much an argument against playing FPS with KB&M if you're comparing actual pro and con.

lt519

You know when the August update rolls out we need to have a GAF Motion vs GAF Sticks match so everyone can put their money where their mouth is.

MrBlonde

Sorry to highjack but can someone help me out. I have a 11yr old girl and 4yr old boy that really want this game. Would my 4yr old be ok playing this and how is 2player, is it only split screen local play or can u go online? Any other feedback would be great since I don't have a Wii u and this would be a.big investment for one game, might get smash bros too, I bet we would all have fun with that and be pretty easy. Also does the pro controller work with both games? I would prefer that

Found gyro very hard to use in the beta, but when the game released I decided to give them a chance and don't regret it, find it more accurate now.

Haunted

There's a lot of praise for the motion controls, but the numbers show that the stigma still hasn't gone away. 20-30% of players specifically switching away from the default control scheme is pretty much unheard of.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
They literally can't. The game relies heavily on the GamePad's touch screen. Maybe for the Battle Dojo they can, but not online.

It does? I've never used the Gamepad screen once in gameplay online. Granted I'm only on Level 7.

Geg

Three guesses at what weapon you use

Izayoi

Banned
Sorry to highjack but can someone help me out. I have a 11yr old girl and 4yr old boy that really want this game. Would my 4yr old be ok playing this and how is 2player, is it only split screen local play or can u go online? Any other feedback would be great since I don't have a Wii u and this would be a.big investment for one game, might get smash bros too, I bet we would all have fun with that and be pretty easy. Also does the pro controller work with both games? I would prefer that
Pretty much any age is fine, it's a Nintendo game through and through. Single player ONLY online. Pro controller only works on two-player mode.

Smash Bros is amazing though and you should definitely get it as well. Easily the two best games for the WiiU.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
you don't super jump or utilize squid beacons on the map?

Never found much use in it. Every time I respawn some of my area close to my base would be colored in the opposition's ink so I take care of that first and then move on by foot.

Didn't realize it was screen controlled anyway; I figured it was a button I just hadn't noticed or something.

Izayoi

Banned
Three guesses at what weapon you use
Aerospray, obviously, just like anyone who cares about winning. Coverage is unmatched. I will sometimes mix it up in ranked, but for Turf War, there is nothing else that can touch it.

phanphare

Banned
Never found much use in it. Every time I respawn some of my area close to my base would be colored in the opposition's ink so I take care of that first and then move on by foot.

Didn't realize it was screen controlled anyway; I figured it was a button I just hadn't noticed or something.

well keep those things in mind as you level up, especially squid beacons ;p

phanphare

Banned
Aerospray, obviously, just like anyone who cares about winning. Coverage is unmatched. I will sometimes mix it up in ranked, but for Turf War, there is nothing else that can touch it.

lol, your responses are great

there are lots of things that can touch the aerospray. almost every single other weapon in the game, in fact. dat range....

Molemitts

I seem to be doing alright without them, but maybe I'll try and get used to them if it will improve my performance beyond the god-like abilities that I already display when playing the game.

Izayoi

Banned
lol, your responses are great

there are lots of things that can touch the aerospray. almost every single other weapon in the game, in fact. dat range....
So play smarter? Teams with the Aerospray win, almost to a fault. The range is not an issue when almost everyone runs blindly around corners to chase you, right into your mine. There is no compare in Turf War. I've spent a lot if time with pretty much every weapon in the game, and unless you're making a full time job of support (with the Beacon or a Charger), you are almost always a detriment to the team if you're not using an Aerospray.

Zemm

I can't use them properly because I lie down when I console game. I think the gap between sticks and gyro is incredibly small though, I got to A rank before I stopped playing and easily could have continued on to A+. There are so many bad players even at higher ranks that it really doesn't matter imo.

I hate using the gamepad though, it feels so uncomfortable for shooters like this, I really really wanted pro pad options like Pikmin where you can still use the gamepad on a desk or table in front of you for map stuff.

phanphare

Banned
So play smarter? Teams with the Aerospray win, almost to a fault. The range is not an issue when almost everyone runs blindly around corners to chase you, right into your mine. There is no compare in Turf War. I've spent a lot if time with pretty much every weapon in the game, and unless you're making a full time job of support (with the Beacon or a Charger), you are almost always a detriment to the team if you're not using an Aerospray.

hahahaha, like what?

phanphare

Banned
Why?

The distance between your hands would have an obvious effect on the sensitivity and accuracy.

read this article, it's pretty informative

although I do think there's something to your point as well

And here is why:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/27/forget-six-axis-gamepad-nine-axis/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=68&v=SM2ybJhVuFE
There is a reason you need auto aim in regular console shooters but not in splatoon even though its much faster than most of the competition.

SCChappy

Banned
i hate the motion controls
they feel like crap to me and they make me worse at the game

ive tried to use them multiple times

Ansatz

What rank are you?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This game has been out for two months already? Considering how much mindshare it has that's pretty damn amazing.

MrBlonde

Pretty much any age is fine, it's a Nintendo game through and through. Single player ONLY online. Pro controller only works on two-player mode.

Smash Bros is amazing though and you should definitely get it as well. Easily the two best games for the WiiU.
Thanks

Madao

There are other interesting bits too,

• “we're surprised that people have reached the level cap in such a short time. We're actually really worried about those people - worried that they're still sleeping and eating! We recognise that a lot of people have reached level 20, and that there's not much left to do in the game. There's not much I can announce today, but I hope you can look forward to some future announcements.”

> Hopefully level cap increase, or something about that S rank found by datamining

• “Splatfests are carried out on a three-week rotation, Sakaguchi says - though there's some wriggle room in there”

• “At the moment, we're not planning any paid download content. Beyond August, there'll be new stages and new weapons slowly being released.”

i went and leveled up all the gear that can be purchased and even i'm running out of that to make the scoring worth it.

i feel that they need a much higher level cap since the original lv 20 is way too low.

Mega

Banned

LOL, bragging about spraying the ground in a Turf Wars game with random casual players. Your observations will not hold in A+ Ranked matches.

Edit: Aerospray, figures. The few times I play Turf, I just kill people with low output weapons to prevent them inking in the first place. The score is meaningless for the win. I've been the deciding factor in matches, coming in 3rd or 4th with score but insane K/D.

Azure J

I'm curious, have you played with SplatGAF yet?

As another inkbrush main, I don't know if I could even consider the brush viable or be anywhere near this proficient with it if the game were strictly dual analog.

Inkbrush is perfectly fine with dual analog, I don't use motion controls and to be honest my playstyle is even more "energetic" than yours (since I jump before every set of swipes too). The only issue I have is that I want the ability to remove special attack off the right stick click, it is too easy to do that while in the middle of a heated battle with someone.

Azure J

Definitely agree with changing special attacks from clicking the right stick in. As infrequently as it happens for me now, it was hell learning the game and playing with GAF only to try and get a quick cycle around to get a better view of action nearby only to walk out into the open with the big ass Inkstrike on your back saying "Shoot me! Shoot me!" :lol

Haha geez I think that's my first time seeing you with the brush. You're usually trying out a new weapon the few times I've played with you

Yeah, yesterday I just felt like busting out the vanilla main because Splat Zones. It led to two really crazy Urchin matches and my favorite exclamation to on screen action ever right around the segment when I'm like "fuck that, I'M the hero here."

prag16

Banned
The gyro controls work really well, so I'm not surprised.

I hope games on other systems start offering this option. The DS4 has a gyroscope, right? Something like that might actually get me to play a competitive shooter on console (other than Wii remote games or Splatoon).

It does? I've never used the Gamepad screen once in gameplay online. Granted I'm only on Level 7.

You mean you haven't been using the gamepad screen to instantly jump to teammates who are at the other end of the map? Christ, you need to start using it! It's essentail for pushing aggressively for more territory.

rbanke

I left them on for a while because Alex Navarro talked it up so much but really didn't care for it. My son couldn't really get a handle on it either so I ended up turning them off. Ultimately I dont even think aiming precision is that important in that game. If I'm that focused on trying to splat other players, I feel like i'm not doing the job i'm meant to.

Top Bottom