• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70-80% of Splatoon players use motion controls two months after launch

Izayoi

Banned
What rank are you?
Was A+, until I realized it really doesn't matter and let my fiance and roommates play ranked. My rating has since tanked, but seeing as it affects absolutely nothing, I'm not too concerned about it.

i went and leveled up all the gear that can be purchased and even i'm running out of that to make the scoring worth it.

i feel that they need a much higher level cap since the original lv 20 is way too low.
I don't think so. The game could have no levels and it would be just fine. My gear is pretty much perfect, but who cares? The game is about having fun, not re-rolling stats.

LOL, bragging about spraying the ground in a Turf Wars game with random casual players. Your observations will not hold in A+ Ranked matches.

Edit: Aerospray, figures. The few times I play Turf, I just kill people with low output weapons to prevent them inking in the first place. The score is meaningless for the win. I've been the deciding factor in matches, coming in 3rd or 4th with score but insane K/D.
OH NO, HE PLAYS TURF WAR! WHAT A CASUAL!!!

Kills are actually meaningless outside of ranked. Even my fiance, who usually goes really negative on K/D, almost always wins when she does more than 1000 without a win bonus.

You guys are taking this game way too seriously, lol.

I'm curious, have you played with SplatGAF yet?
Nah. Judging by some of the attitudes in this thread, I feel that it was a good decision on my part. Yeesh.

Overside

Banned
This is what I dont get, I mean dont you have to move the thing around 180º just to hit something behind you with a slingshot?, how is that better, I'm probably missing something here o_O

Its a three teired system now.

Left stick for movement, right stick for gross camera control, such as looking behind you, and gyro for fast dextrous precision control.

Malreyn

After playing with the gyro controls for an hour I switched to regular controls and I couldn't play without the gyro control....I got used to it that the slight twist of the pad gave me more precision than the stick.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I top my team almost every single game (usually 1200-1600 without the win bonus) and I use the sticks. This statistic certainly explains why seemingly everyone online is fucking garbage. The motion controls suck and were clearly designed for children and casuals.

So you usually score 1500-1900 in turf wars?

woopWOOP

Took me three weeks to get used to it, bumbling around with a charger on a seperate account.

Now it doesn't feel right playing without gyro, even with other weapons.
I still don't have the twitch aiming under control during panic moments tho... and I still aim at the floor a little too much :V

Was A+, until I realized it really doesn't matter and let my fiance and roommates play ranked. My rating has since tanked, but seeing as it affects absolutely nothing, I'm not too concerned about it.

I don't think so. The game could have no levels and it would be just fine. My gear is pretty much perfect, but who cares? The game is about having fun, not re-rolling stats.

Kills are actually meaningless outside of ranked. Even my fiance, who usually goes really negative on K/D, almost always wins when she does more than 1000 without a win bonus.

Nah. Judging by some of the attitudes in this thread, I feel that it was a good decision on my part. Yeesh.
Just curious but what attitudes? Not attacking you or anything just want to understand what you mean.
I've played with gaf a few times and everyone has been fun to play with

Conan-san

I'm glad that 30% of people like it but it's ether too jittery or too all over the place for my liking. If I could ligit dual stick and use the Gyro for precision it'd be perfect but locking my turn to the Gyro just kills it for me.

When you get tired of garbage competition you should defintely try some splatgaf games, some, not all, but some gaffer are so damned skilled at the game, that it's a joy to splattered by them :p

jwillenn

Its a three teired system now.

Left stick for movement, right stick for gross camera control, such as looking behind you, and gyro for fast dextrous precision control.

what I envision for Shooters using an evolved Mote & Chuk:
Left - Movement
Right - Camera Control
IR - Fast Precision Aiming (S&P2, Trauma Center, etc.)
+ bounding box options

phanphare

Banned
When you get tired of garbage competition you should defintely try some splatgaf games, some, not all, but some gaffer are so damned skilled at the game, that it's a joy to splattered by them :p

also GAF rooms show that your point total doesn't usually indicate how helpful you were during a match.

there will be matches where I was clearly the worst performing member of my team but I'll finish with the highest score. that's what happens when you're recovering turf on the way back to the middle after getting splatted..

Mega

Banned

You're precious. I never said Turf Wars are for casuals and deserve to be put down. I'm touching on the fact that you bragged about your silly score in a nasty arrogant manner while simultaneously insulting the entire gyro-using majority which includes almost every Gaffer playing the game.

I like Turf Wars and don't begrudge anyone who likes it, except snobbish players like you who act as if you got it all figured out. Strategic, consistent kills absolutely matter. During Dogs Vs Cats, I had a very solid team after about a dozen games and we went on very long win streaks until I hit max and left. Effective team work and aggressive, deliberate attacking played a much bigger role than focusing on inking. The entire map is inked within the first minute. Straightforward inking for the rest of the game does not work against really good opponents. This is fundamental truth in the game.

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah you clearly have a great attitude going off about gyro being for children and casuals
( ≖‿≖)

So you usually score 1500-1900 in turf wars?
Yeah, but it's really map dependent. For example, on stuff like Kelp Dome (so damn good... mmmmmm), I can easily go 2100-2200. Moray Towers, on the other hand, is usually a lot lower.

oh please

that's why you were met with the attitude you were
I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Just curious but what attitudes? Not attacking you or anything just want to understand what you mean.
I've played with gaf a few times and everyone has been fun to play with
It just seems that some take the game a little too seriously.

But I like the easy-going pace of Turf War... I'm kind of over being hyper competitive in games, it makes me too agitated. ;_;

You're precious. I never said Turf Wars are for casuals and deserve to be put down. I'm touching on the fact that you bragged about your silly score in a nasty arrogant manner while simultaneously insulting the entire gyro-using majority which includes almost every Gaffer playing the game.

I like Turf Wars and don't begrudge anyone who likes it, except snobbish players like you who act as if you got it all figured out. Strategic, consistent kills absolutely matter. During Dogs Vs Cats, I had a very solid team after about a dozen games and we went on very long win streaks until I hit max and left. Effective team work and aggressive, deliberate attacking played a much bigger role than focusing on inking. The entire map is inked within the first minute. Straightforward inking for the rest of the game does not work against really good opponents. This is fundamental truth in the game.
Sorry, didn't realize that there was an MLG league for this game. My mistake. I wasn't intending to step on any toes.

:3

( ≖‿≖)

Yeah, but it's really map dependent. For example, on stuff like Kelp Dome (so damn good... mmmmmm), I can easily go 2100-2200. Moray Towers, on the other hand, is usually a lot lower.

I didn't mean to offend anyone.

It just seems that some take the game a little too seriously.

But I like the easy-going pace of Turf War... I'm kind of over being hyper competitive in games, it makes me too agitated. ;_;

Sorry, didn't realize that there was an MLG league for this game. My mistake. I wasn't intending to step on any toes.

:3
I don't think gaf takes it seriously from I've played and seen they all are playing for fun. Come join and play with gaf sometime. :)

But it's not about being competetive... It's just playing the game together with some really great players. My skills don't the top players at all, but it's still a lot of fun. I would actually say I get more frustrated when playing with randoms who run around and paint the base when playing splatzone for example.

ngower

I can't get accustomed to it. Partly because my thumbs react faster than my arms/hands/wrists. I want to really give it another chance, but right now I'm sticking with the dual-sticks.

Tygamr

Would use them if they didn't gimp the right analog stick... Should have done it like Uncharted GA or Killzone Mercenary. Maybe I'll give them another try, but I do really well just playing with the analog sticks so I'm not really at any disadvantage.

Pandy

Feels weird trying to control other first/third-person games without it now. Needs to be an option everywhere.

Odrion

Banned
Would be nice if other developers adopted the motion control setup it for PS4 games as well, so people have the option.

I couldn't get use to it, it felt like I was wrestling with a lunch tray.

Also I don't get how people still can't master dual analogue movement. Don't use your thumbs as a part of your grip, turn to gently move the sticks.

RedFyn

I don't know what you guys are arguing about. Areos are the best. I mean, PvP doesn't exist in turf wars. Whoever paints more wins, you don't actually fight anyone so the aerosprays poor PvP doesn't matter.

Get off your high horse and come put your money where your mouth is. I'm not riled up, I just get tired of these silly debates. You still believe that points are the only thing that matters while everyone else has gotten past that notion. The only way to settle the debate (that has already been settled FYI) is to test it out in game.

je_ssi e

I'm a convert.
I hated the motion controls in the testfire and for a bit after the game launched. Not because of any stigma that they're for babbies, but because it felt totally off for me to use them. I was so hoping for PROcontroller support in the full game, outside of the 2player mode, obviously. If it had been added I probably would have used it, as I do find the gamepad uncomfortable to hold. Anyways... me, personally.. for the stick controls I needed to keep the sens around -2 to feel comfortable. And, with it that low I felt too slow. That is the biggest reason I switched to gyro.

But, I noticed other benefits over time.
Besides being able to control higher sensitivities easier I've found not having to keep your hand on the right stick allows you to freely use the face buttons. With some weapons jumping is key. I hate you roller and blaster bastards! Aha!

And, the obvious benefit is just being able to control your aim a little better.
Some people can aim fine without gyro, I'm sure. Good on those guys.
Or, just use weapons that spray all over the place and it wouldn't matter if you were playing with your feet. :p

Not surprised the majority use them, but I didn't expect such a large majority.

Now we need to know what percent of A+ rank players use them.
A+ 99, baby!
1a67e2acf9.jpg

I'm not surprised, it's on by default and the majority of users probably haven't even opened the settings menu.

Not being snide, but that's generally the case with most games.

qko

My experience was using motion controls the first couple matches, feeling frustrated, moving to dual analog and realizing just how superior the motion controls were. Never looking back.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing that Splatoon has been out for 2 months, and some players still don't realize what the gamepad map is for, or think the point total at the end of the match means much at all.

Sure, I can choose Aerorspray and get the most points... and contribute nothing to the team when that paint gets covered up again.

Mihos

Gold Member
Not surprising, it's the default control scheme after all. There's probably a lot of people that don't know it can be turned off.

This is the first thing in my head also. I read the title as 20-30% turned that stuff off, (like me). I stopped playing it after about 2 weeks. Just wasn't for me.

Dealing with two joysticks and motion for movement + camera control was fucking with my head. I turned it off about an hour after I started playing.

I need to give it another shot. It seemed like it would've made my aiming much more precise if I could manage to focus on it all simultaneously.

Rehynn

Currently playing Devil's Third, and going back to stick-only aiming was painful. I wish Splatoon's controls were the new standard for console shooters.

This is what I dont get, I mean dont you have to move the thing around 180º just to hit something behind you with a slingshot?, how is that better, I'm probably missing something here o_O
Sorry to start with asumptions here but you are talking like someone that doesn't have enough experience with this type of aiming. The IMU/Gyros in the Gamepad are far more sensitive than any of the analog sticks in this console generation. It is all up to game programing, if the developer wants it can program the camera to do a 180 with half of mm motion.

In the end this type of control method incorporates the dual stick controls with the enhanced precision of the gyro.

Power of the default.

Several use cases have shown that most users will keep the default settings of a system or platform regardless of any advantages offered by customizing them.
You are right... however your analysis doesn't consider that it is a double edged sword. To explain myself:

If the gyro opperated controls weren't a very well executed control method Nintendo would run the risk of sinking a promising new IP to the ground. But contrary to this, the game seems to be enjoying some good acceptance. So it's clear that there's some merit to the input method and interface.

Ansatz

Well then you should have enough game sense to understand the aerospray is garbage in a competitive game of turf wars, we're not talking about getting more wins than losses in random matchmaking, those are very different things.

You can't out-ink a team that knows what they're doing; they're going to force you into duels where they outrange you. If you camp instead of commiting to the duel then they'll just gain majority ink coverage by standing in a favorable position and using their range to ink over your side of the map. Nobody is stupid enough to walk into a camping aerospray who sits around a corner somewhere.

Would be nice if other developers adopted the motion control setup it for PS4 games as well, so people have the option.

I couldn't get use to it, it felt like I was wrestling with a lunch tray.

Also I don't get how people still can't master dual analogue movement. Don't use your thumbs as a part of your grip, turn to gently move the sticks.

They can´t. The hardware is not up to the task.

Shaanyboi

Banned
damn straight

They're not grossly overused or anything - it's simply a tilt to help refine your aim. It does its job just fine.

Violet_0

Banned

many Gaffers play Turf Wars all the time because it's the only way to play with friends (GAF rooms). Playing with randoms in Turf Wars frequently offers little challenge because of the matchmaking, but the mode is fine

kills absolutely matter. You stop the enemy team from painting your turf (and chances are they have a weapon that can paint faster than yours), when no one is there to fight back your team can claim all their territory and the enemy team can't superjump half the map to get right back into the action. The notion that kills don't do anything in Turf Wars is ridicules

Jims

I'm actually not that surprised the figure is so high. The gyro is enabled automatically, so I feel like it is more likely that people will just stick to the default.

Plus, the gyro controls work really well.

Regarding Turf Wars, it is generally my observation that putting up a high score is slightly overvalued and kills are slightly undervalued. I'll say "slightly" because a combination of both are obviously needed. A team of 4 aggro-Aerospray painters are going to struggle against a team that is boxing them out and holding down the key chokepoints. Who cares how fast you can ink if you can't get up the hill of Arowana Mall. On the flipside, a team of 4 obsessive Inkling hunters who don't paint any of their base will find their margin of error pretty thin. One leak and they might lose the game. They still gotta paint.

I think it is perfectly fine if someone wants to play Aerospray and emphasize point-scoring in their matches. The floor has to be painted, after all. But at the same time, it has to be understood that other team members are preventing the other team from doing the exact same thing. That's where the overall team edge is created.

Taker666

If they ever made a new 3rd person Metroid, I'd love it to control like Splatoon.
Samus is the kid, morphball is the squid.

Top Bottom