• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70-80% of Splatoon players use motion controls two months after launch

There are other interesting bits too,

• “we're surprised that people have reached the level cap in such a short time. We're actually really worried about those people - worried that they're still sleeping and eating! We recognise that a lot of people have reached level 20, and that there's not much left to do in the game. There's not much I can announce today, but I hope you can look forward to some future announcements.”

> Hopefully level cap increase, or something about that S rank found by datamining

• “Splatfests are carried out on a three-week rotation, Sakaguchi says - though there's some wriggle room in there”

• “At the moment, we're not planning any paid download content. Beyond August, there'll be new stages and new weapons slowly being released.”

Found my game vastly improved after turning it off, and putting the look sensitivity right up, trying to do a quick turn and snipe somebody behind me was a pain in the arse with gyro.

Appleman

It really bothers me that the right stick is locked to horizontal only when gyro is engaged. Throws me off so much I turn motion off altogether, but I know I'd love it for precise adjustments if I could just use the sticks normally too

Clockwork5

Like what? A deadzone, badly tuned accelerating aiming?

Overly sensitive y axis in relation to the x axis was my problem. And since one cannot change the sensitivity of one axis independent of the other, it makes for a y axis nightmare or a sluggish x axis.

Played the game for about a week and just couldn't fight the controls anymore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I switched from dual sticks to motion control a few weeks after launch. I was maining the kraken roller, so the motion control doesn't add a ton, but after switching up to some ranged weapons, it was sorely needed. I'll still switch back to sticks for the roller occasionally. It's my lazy play option.

Motion makes bunny hopping + shooting much easier, so I'm not surprised. Quickly realized that was what high rank Japanese players were doing and adapted.

Geg

Surprised it's not more to be honest. Can't aim and jump without the gyro.

Also having the sensitivity up to max means I barely have to move the gamepad much but can still be really accurate and keep up with the chaos of people shooting at me from multiple directions

Wiseblade

I don't play a lot of shooters, soadjusting to the gyro controls didn't take me long. At this point, I doubt I'd be ableto play a console shooter without them. Especially one with as much verticality as Splatoon.

More importantly 63% of idiots picked Eating over Sleeping in Splatfest. So despite Sleeping winning more matches, Eating won overall... Boo!
Winning 52-48 isn't a margin worth boasting about. You'd think it was a complete blowout the way bitter Sleepers go on.

Seriously.

I can play Splatoon exactly like this:
gaming_couch.jpg

Seriously? I mean Seriously? Whenever I play Splatoon I am constantly on the edge (Ranked battle, that is). I love it, but it's stressful as hell. I need that picture where the gamer first sits relaxed on the couch, and then you see him on edge in the next one. Anyone?

Edit: here it is, that's more like me when playing Splatoon ;-)

funny-pictures-auto-comics-halo-386075.jpeg

HeroR

I don't play a lot of shooters, soadjusting to the gyro controls didn't take me long. At this point, I doubt I'd be ableto play a console shooter without them. Especially one with as much verticality as Splatoon.

Winning 52-48 isn't a margin worth boasting about. You'd think it was a complete blowout the way bitter Sleepers go on.

It was the same with Dogs vs. Cat. You would think by how the Cat voters act that they won a lot more games when the different was a statical tie at 49 and 51, hardly enough to tip the balance even if wins gave more points than popularity since dogs had 63% of the votes.

And personally, I can't see how anyone can play Splatoon with duel sticks. Then again, I suck with them anyway and prefer motion controls in any game that requires shooting. To me the different is like playing Star Fox on a d-pad vs a analog stick. The only thing I dislike about Splatoon's controls is the jump button. I want the jump button to be B not Y and I can't change it unlike Smash.

wiibomb

I'm about 6-7 hours into the game, and I have barely used the motion controls... I didn't like them on the testfire and so I ditched them from my gameply... but I guess I'll need to try them again and see if I can use them

JCX

Found myself wanting to use gyro controls in Destiny after playing a bunch of splatoon. The only time I dislike gyro in splatoon is when swimming up walls.

catbrush

Using the gyro controls improves my posture and provides a very light upper body workout.

It's quite nice after sitting at a desk all day.

It takes a bit to adapt, those that ditched it didn't want to make the effort, probably due to the stigma about motion controls.
I'm pretty good at Splatoon, usually one of the top players during any match I'm in. Been using motion since launch and I never switched

Pejo

Noooooooo, don't give Nintendo ideas about more motion controllers. I have yet to pick up Splatoon, don't know if I ever will, but I cannot go back to motion controls again. My most hated thing from last gen.

Glad to hear that it's used well though for those who like it.

phanphare

Banned
I found this pretty interesting

Most of all, I just love how it plays, and how it feels to play, something that's down to how Sakaguchi and his team studied human anatomy just as closely as they studied squids. "Humans can move our hands less when we're moving them downwards, and more when we move it upwards," Sakaguchi says, motioning with his wrist. "When we were doing the mapping for the gyro sensor, we incorporated these subtle human movements into the game. It might not be apparent at first glance, but maybe you might notice it in the future. Another thing is that since the release of the Wii U, Nintendo has experienced and learnt a lot regarding player controls, especially for the gyro sensor, and we've been able to learn from that and incorporate a lot into Splatoon."

edit: this is a really good analogy

The gyro control's been so well executed I always think it's a bit of a shame when you hear about players bypassing it for more traditional twin-stick controls. "We were slightly concerned about whether users might feel the gyro controls were a little bit difficult," says Sakaguchi. "But I like to use the analogy of riding a bicycle. You need a lot of practice, but once you've learnt that the bicycle becomes one with your body and it opens the whole world to you. In that sense, we're really happy that many users have learnt to ride the bicycle!"

How is Splatoon's online community these days? Still thriving?

I received the game around launch, but have yet to play it. I've been busy with other things, and rarely use the Wii U.

Wiseblade

It was the same with Dogs vs. Cat. You would think by how the Cat voters act that they won a lot more games when the different was a statical tie at 49 and 51, hardly enough to tip the balance even if wins gave more points than popularity since dogs had 63% of the votes.
I'm pretty sure win rates are worth twice as much as popularity, given the "×2" that shows up on the results screen. Cats and sleepers don't seem to have a leg to stand on.

And personally, I can't see how anyone can play Splatoon with duel sticks. Then again, I suck with them anyway and prefer motion controls in any game that requires shooting. To me the different is like playing Star Fox on a d-pad vs a analog stick. The only thing I dislike about Splatoon's controls is the jump button. I want the jump button to be B not Y and I can't change it unlike Smash.
Smash is disappointingly and outlier for modern Nintendo games when it comes to customisation options. Most titles don't even seem to have volume sliders.

Seriously? I mean Seriously? Whenever I play Splatoon I am constantly on the edge (Ranked battle, that is). I love it, but it's stressful as hell. I need that picture where the gamer first sits relaxed on the couch, and then you see him on edge in the next one. Anyone?

Edit: here it is, that's more like me when playing Splatoon ;-)

funny-pictures-auto-comics-halo-386075.jpeg

Well mechanically i could play like this. The more insane it gets (Turf-Zones-Tower) the more get myself in a proper position of course. ^^

HeroR

I received the game around launch, but have yet to play it. I've been busy with other things, and rarely use the Wii U.

Thriving quite well. Never have to wait long for a match, unless I am group with someone with a bad router.

L95

Yeah, I can get plenty of matches just fine. Usually, anyway.

Somnid

Great vote of confidence for Starfox. I don't use motion controls but it's more out of the difficulty of breaking habits than anything.

Geg

Still incredibly active, though I'm playing with gaf more often than random players these days. The only time I have trouble finding players it's clear it's a connection problem rather than a problem with nobody playing

What is the default setting for aiming?
Default is with the gyro on, with the option to turn it off after finishing the tutorial.

There are other interesting bits too,

• “we're surprised that people have reached the level cap in such a short time. We're actually really worried about those people - worried that they're still sleeping and eating! We recognise that a lot of people have reached level 20, and that there's not much left to do in the game. There's not much I can announce today, but I hope you can look forward to some future announcements.”

> Hopefully level cap increase, or something about that S rank found by datamining

“At the moment, we're not planning any paid download content. Beyond August, there'll be new stages and new weapons slowly being released.”

They really need to up the level cap a while ago. A lot of people were max level that first weekend.

They are planning new maps and weapons for free past August? The Direct specifically said free content would only last through August in small text.

Considering how many weapons are on disc it makes they could add more later but are they planning more than four left?

I would think with how well the game sold paid DLC was obvious.

HeroR

Great vote of confidence for Starfox. I don't use motion controls but it's more out of the difficulty of breaking habits than anything.

I don't quite understand why motion controls have to constantly prove themselves. With third-party games that have a spotty record I can understand, but Nintendo made games usually do motion controls very well and is consider the gold standard by many. Most people who really hate motion controls usually hate them regardless of quality.

Avalt

Add me to the people who just couldn't get used to the gyro controls. Just felt too unnatural to me. I constantly found myself trying to use the stick to look up and down.

Jealous of the people for whom it clicked. I feel like I can't enjoy the game as much because of it.

Weebos

Banned
I've heard a lot of good things about the motion controls, to the point where I'm a bit disappointed that I can't use them.
I have to lay down when I play, a medical thing.

I don't think it hurts me too much because I'm a
road
roller squid.

Kindekuma

Banned
I got the game from launch, and even from the Global Testfire I always had motion controls off. I wasn't a big fan of it. I'll have to retry them sometime.

Nydius

I've spent plenty of time trying to use gyro controls and I discovered I simply do not like them and was significantly better with a high sensitivity dual stick setup, even with the compromise to the jump ability. Regardless of weapon, I'm almost always top two on my team in both Turf Wars and Ranked. The only reason I have yet to get higher than a B rank in Ranked is due to limited play and idiot teammates (since wins/losses are the only measured metric, not individual performance), not due to my choice of control scheme.

It takes a bit to adapt, those that ditched it didn't want to make the effort, probably due to the stigma about motion controls.

I honestly believe that people who hate motion controls suck at real life athletics and have no touch.

If you never figured out how to catch a ball, swing a racket, or do anything remotely requiring reflexes combined with touch, then I could see how you wouldn't be able to have finesse with motion controls or even pointer controls.

*snip*

If the Gamepad feels to heavy for you, I genuinely think you need to change your lifestyle. It's 3.5 pounds and you're holding it with 2 hands. If you can't hold it steady, then of course the motion controls are "going to suck and feel inaccurate." But I imagine most things in life must suck for such a person.

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is staggering. According to one person, if you don't use motion controls, you're lazy. According to another, if you don't you're not athletic and a weak-wrist slob. You're good with gyro controls, great. I'm all for including options. But don't sit there and make sweeping generalizations because some people prefer or are better with the traditional dual stick options we've been using for the last 16 years.

SMattera

This isn't really much of a vote of confidence in the gyro. The game is just basically unplayable without it. Not sure what the issue is, but the sensitivity with the sticks isn't there like with other shooters. Once you get used to the gyro, it plays just fine, but without it, I have no idea how you'd play the game. Honestly I think it'd be better without the gyro and with tighter/better stick controls. Have to wag the controller around is unnecessary and just dumb. My thumbs are more precise than my wrists.

javac

Playing this game without Gyro is so rigid and constricting, the gyro is wonderfully utilized in this game. There's no benefit to keeping your reticle still as you want to get paint everywhere, and as the Gyro is really used for one axis you use a mix of both and its fantastic.

phanphare

Banned
This isn't really much of a vote of confidence in the gyro. The game is just basically unplayable without it. Not sure what the issue is, but the sensitivity with the sticks isn't there like with other shooters. Once you get used to the gyro, it plays just fine, but without it, I have no idea how you'd play the game. Honestly I think it'd be better without the gyro and with tighter/better stick controls. Have to wag the controller around is unnecessary and just dumb. My thumbs are more precise than my wrists.

your thumbs might be more precise than your wrists however analog sticks are not more precise than the gyro sensors

In the end whatever works for one person may not work for everyone. I gave gyros a shot didn't like them. I use sticks and do well with those and a sensitivity of 2. It's good to have options though

Peltz

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is staggering. According to one person, if you don't use motion controls, you're lazy. According to another, if you don't you're not athletic and a weak-wrist slob. You're good with gyro controls, great. I'm all for including options. But don't sit there and make sweeping generalizations because some people prefer or are better with the traditional dual stick options we've been using for the last 16 years.

Fair enough.

But as someone who has been playing dual analogue shooters since Halo:CE (and who loves them), they simply aren't as precise or fast as motion controls. They are inferior. I can rock them as well as anyone, but they don't have the same degree of fidelity or speed.

zma1013

I feel part of the reason for this is that the stick controls don't feel good. Compared to other stick shooters, something is off. Other shooters i can control with precision, whereas this one it feels like i can't make the shots i want to make. Tried changing and playing with different sensitivities and nothing seemed to fix it for me.

Bulzeeb

I feel part of the reason for this is that the stick controls don't feel good. Compared to other stick shooters, something is off. Other shooters i can control with precision, whereas this one it feels like i can't make the shots i want to make. Tried changing and playing with different sensitivities and nothing seemed to fix it for me.

well as others have pointed out, Splatoon doesn't seems to have a auto aim/aim assist for dual analogs like most shooters do this days

phanphare

Banned

yeah, there's no aim assist in Splatoon so when you just use the sticks you really just use the sticks

AdanVC

I've used gyro controls in Splatoon since the beta test. I saw loooot's of people complaining that day about how weird it moves with gyro on, but it's just a matter of playing a few matches to get comfortable with it. Later on it becomes second nature. It's perfect for aiming and killing inkling enemies >:)

Because people are smart enough to realize in multiplayer when they are easily being out-classed by gyro users.

New =/= Bad, people. Get over your neuroses.

I've spent plenty of time trying to use gyro controls and I discovered I simply do not like them and was significantly better with a high sensitivity dual stick setup, even with the compromise to the jump ability. Regardless of weapon, I'm almost always top two on my team in both Turf Wars and Ranked. The only
probably due to the stigma about motion controls.
This is just what I've noticed. There are of course special cases such as for medical reasons and some that are just not for them. But from Twitter at least most people I interact with usually say something along the lines of "I've hated motion controls since Wii" when the tech is different

Good. Using analog sticks for shooters always sucked. You just never had much choice on other consoles. Aside from the mouse, motion control (Wiimote pointer, gyro) feel the best IMO - so playing FPS games on Nintendo consoles always gave me the best console experiences. This kind of stuff makes me excited for VR shooters.

I’m not too good at dual analog shooters, never have been. Ever since the N64 introduced me to the analog stick I’ve never been able to handle them with finesse. It’s always full blast tilt or nothing with me. So with that in mind the only way I’ve been able to competently play Splatoon is turning sensitivity all the way down to -5 so that even my frantic knee-jerk stick flicks become manageable.

That said, even though I perform well (way above average at least), I can see how on paper I’m disadvantaged. I’m a leader in most matches, but occasionally I come across some real pros who put me in my place. Usually with guns like 52 or 92 gal that far out rang me and remove me with two quick, very well placed hits.

I hate the idea of the gyro controls, I really want to use the Pro Controller someday, and the implementation in Splatoon confuses me…but I think they might be the solution to my issue.

I’ve tried a few times and I just can’t comprehend it. I always end up getting frustrated because I’m performing a lot worse than with my low sensitivity stick setup and revert back. I’ve thought about going through the whole single player campaign again, or at least the missions with the fast Octolings until I get the hang of it.

VICI0US

my wife plays without them because she's used to playing COD zombies on ps3/ps4.

I grew up playing PC shooters though so I absolutely can't stand dual analog myself. Gyro/IR aiming are a godsend for making console shooters bearable.

Top Bottom