• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4Play 12/10/10: JUMP THE SHARQ (or The Monster Hunter Show)

Ondore

435.jpg

Let's make this perfectly clear: Like Kinect, sauerkraut, and inverted controls, this special holiday episode of 8-4 Play is not for everyone. How can you know? Take our simple quiz: 1. Do you enjoy Monster Hunter? 2. Are you curious about Monster Hunter? 3. Would you like to hear almost two hours of talk about one of Japan's biggest gaming franchises in the last decade? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, enjoy. If not, please listen to an older episode again and let's just forget this ever happened.

Length: 1:48:58
Direct Link
8-4 Play at 1up
iTunes
RSS
Mark MacDonald Appreciation Group

Y-E-S!

Still, I do wish they (ye) would do a non-What'cha been playing episode and start covering localisation as there's so much there.
I realise it might not have as much room for humorous entertainment, but I'm really interested.

Xater

I played some 2nd G and enjoyed it. My problem was that I did no someone to help me out with the start or people to play with. Portable 3rd already sounds more appealing because of the 2 feline companions.

Edit: And now I jsut heard them say that those fuckers that burrowed in the desert are not in this. Great because I probably quit 2nd G/Unite.

Kuran

Banned
Xater said:
I played some 2nd G and enjoyed it. My problem was that I did no someone to help me out with the start or people to play with. Portable 3rd already sounds more appealing because of the 2 feline companions.

The single player quests in MHP3rd are perfectly paced, difficulty wise. There isn't even much of a language barrier if you played 2nd G

LiK

MarkMac pronounced my last name the same as the P1P dudes. you guys are totally rippin' them off. :p

the discussion is pretty damn interesting but fuck "the claw" method to play the game. i'll patiently wait for a new console version on the 360 or PS3 before i jump into the series. i don't want to deal with the camera issues.

You have captured my Monoblos heart (4% drop rate).
I am gonna warm up a plate of Bigmeat, pour me some GoldenFish Brew and listen to this podcast.

Kuran

Banned
LiK said:
MarkMac pronounced my last name the same as the P1P dudes. you guys are totally rippin' them off. :p

the discussion is pretty damn interesting but fuck "the claw" method to play the game. i'll patiently wait for a new console version on the 360 or PS3 before i jump into the series. i don't want to deal with the camera issues.

You are making a mistake there.. it isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, and when playing the single player content it isn't even required.

LiK

Kuran said:
You are making a mistake there.. it isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, and when playing the single player content it isn't even required.

my Japanese sucks too so i would have no idea what i'm doing anyway. :)

meppi

Hmm, so I'm probably gonna end up ordering Monster Hunter Tri after listening to this one tomorrow. Oh well. ;)

novery

While I love the MarkMacD rage over 3rd's lack of infrastructure mode, I wonder if it's social engineering on the part of Capcom to force Monster Hunter players to gather in real-life, play the game and evangelize.

I actually think that's part of the magic of the Monster Hunter phenomenon in Japan. The game has such a steep learning curve, you really need a mentor to sit down next to you and help you learn the ropes. If the game shipped with infrastructure, you can imagine a lot of Monster Hunter first-timers logging online and playing with random jerk faces. In that scenario, I think the chances of MH virgins sticking with the game greatly diminishes...

john tv

novery said:
While I love the MarkMacD rage over 3rd's lack of infrastructure mode, I wonder if it's social engineering on the part of Capcom to force Monster Hunter players to gather in real-life, play the game and evangelize.

I actually think that's part of the magic of the Monster Hunter phenomenon in Japan. The game has such a steep learning curve, you really need a mentor to sit down next to you and help you learn the ropes. If the game shipped with infrastructure, you can imagine a lot of Monster Hunter first-timers logging online and playing with random jerk faces. In that scenario, I think the chances of MH virgins sticking with the game greatly diminishes...
Yeah, it's all about community. It's impossible to say if they're engineering it or not; I'd hazard a guess they planned to evolve to Infrastructure at some point but just opted not to because financially there's no good reason to. WiiSpeak and free online with Tri showed they're open to trying new ideas for other markets, but the voice chat implementation was horrible so it didn't really pay off -- I hope that doesn't make them think it's not worth continuing to try and succeed overseas, because Tri showed people really will play the game and get into it if given a chance. :) It had more online hours logged per player than Smash Bros. -- that's no small feat!

No_Style

Downloaded & ready for a listen on Monday. As a person who's never played Monster Hunter, I hope it'll be enlightening.

Grimmy

Banned
Really excellent podcast. It really isn't just about Monster Hunter Portable 3rd as much as it's about the cultural phenomenon of the game, as well as the series' history and appeal. You guys did a great job of covering such a vast topic, and even as a non-MH player I find it fascinating to hear. And the subject of how to make MH appealing to the West is something that could be made into a larger discussion on NeoGAF IMO.

And love the imitation road at the end :D

Tiktaalik

Good episode.

I've tried to get into Monster Hunter a handful of times with Unite and Tri and I'm currently playing Unite again.

I do think that if Capcom keeps improving the game it'll eventually catch on in NA. MH Portable 3rd looks like a bit of a MH 2.5 release really in terms of gameplay but with some future HD Monster Hunter or PSP2 or 3DS Monster Hunter they could have a clean slate in which to innovate and fix some of the core issues that have prevented the series from becoming popular outside of Japan.

I have to agree with what was mentioned in the podcast concerning what needs to be improved. Having the game be recognizably fun within the first 30 minutes is pretty damn important. Improved tutorial would be good, and better camera controls, or simply a better camera is essential. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that the basic interface for the game feels extremely archaic. This is a bit of an issue with many Japanese games still, but MH in particular seems quite bad. Just moving items around seems much more painful than it needs to be.

In my opinion the secret best "Monster Hunter" for the NA audience that is quickly dissuaded by the awful controls and imposing gameplay of MH may actually be Portable Ops.

One other thing: Why no talk about MoHun Nikki? I am actually a bit more interested in this game than MH Portable 3rd. :lol

cvxfreak

firehawk12 said:
What the heck was that hazing that they were talking about at the start? :lol
Google Image "ジャングル・ファイヤー" at your own, NSFW risk.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cvxfreak said:

Can you describe it without me being horrified? :lol

Oh mother of god. Whyyyyyy. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Listened to the show last night, I don't like MH (or MGS:pW) but I really enjoyed it. Culturally I find Japan's obsession over it really interesting. Something that was slightly touched on in the show, I find it quite strange what 'hardcore' is over there compared to here. In the West CoD/Halo are kind of the common games every gamer plays, if you play something like MH you're very hardcore over here, where as in Japan it's the complete opposite, quite bizarre.

And I checked the picture, it's a rabbit.

Gomu Gomu

So I've been listening to Weekend Confirmed just now. They were talking about WoW, and the fact that the game doesn't really 'kicks in' until you reach level 15 or so. Now I bring this up here, because one of the 8-4 guys -I think it's Mark- said that one of the reasons this game will never be huge in the west is that it isn't fun for the first few hours. Obviously I don't need to say how big WoW is here, even though it isn't the most accessible game for new comers.
I'm very interested to hear a counter argument or an elaboration regarding this point.

john tv

EphemeralDream said:
Was that music at the beginning from Monster Hunter? Sounded good.
Yeah, all the music is from Monster Hunter. :)

First track is from MH1 (but in all MH games - it's the main theme, Proof of a Hero), two of the others are from MHP3 and one is from MH Tri. The closing theme is Zinogre's theme (flagship monster in MHP3). It is SO kick ass. The music in this series is among the best of any series in gaming IMO, Japanese or otherwise. Truly, truly epic.

Full version of Proof of a Hero from MH Tri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5MuGs_im8

Just listening to it gets my adrenaline pumping. :)

Jex

I've never played MH and will never have the opportunity to do so (unless a PSP materializes in my house at some point) but this was a great episode.

Perhaps because it's all interesting to hear about something such a localized phenomenon.

Oxx

Another fine show.

I played Tri for 30 hours (all offline, though) and I felt like I barely scratched the surface.

I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more if the animations were half as long, the number of different resources was half as large, and the weapon-sharpening stuff was removed entirely.

The concept of slaying massive beasts and using their parts to create increasingly awesome armour and weaponry is fantastic, but the resource and time management is just overwhelming.

And you guys were saying that Tri was the most noob-friendly!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gomu Gomu said:
So I've been listening to Weekend Confirmed just now. They were talking about WoW, and the fact that the game doesn't really 'kicks in' until you reach level 15 or so. Now I bring this up here, because one of the 8-4 guys -I think it's Mark- said that one of the reasons this game will never be huge in the west is that it isn't fun for the first few hours. Obviously I don't need to say how big WoW is here, even though it isn't the most accessible game for new comers.
I'm very interested to hear a counter argument or an elaboration regarding this point.

WOW is fun from level 1, the weekend confirmed guys are too jaded, I guess?

No_Style

cvxfreak said:

:(

SafeSearch! Why didn't you protect me from these horrors?

T-Matt

I had a slight interest in Monster Hunter before listening to this podcast but now I'm really wanting to give it a shot. I think I'll pick up Tri on wii.

Top Bottom