• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80GB Metal Gear PS3 bundle allocation UPDATE

Bricfa

So the bundle has overtaken the Wii on the Amazon charts, and it has been in the top five there for a while now. Is this an indicator of another strong month for the ps3?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bricfa said:
So the bundle has overtaken the Wii on the Amazon charts, and it has been in the top five there for a while now. Is this an indicator of another strong month for the ps3?

I wouldn't base anything on amazon numbers, but I won't be surprised if it outsells 360 again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Hcoregamer00 said:
True, but the question is if Sony is willing to spend time and money to do it.
They've been spending money on it from way before PS3 launched. The question would be what's the state of things now, and how much more money they may have to spend (if any) - but that's not something we're likely to ever find out, whether emulator gets released or not :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Fafalada said:
They've been spending money on it from way before PS3 launched. The question would be what's the state of things now, and how much more money they may have to spend (if any) - but that's not something we're likely to ever find out, whether emulator gets released or not :p

Very true, it would be fun to work in one of the big console manufacturers just to see all the drama and backstabbing that never goes out into the open.

gantz85

Banned
Does anyone think that current PS3s are turning a profit sold per console? Or at least break even? We've heard alot about this but the financial year figures for Sony can be really painful to look at :lol

Hcoregamer00

gantz85 said:
Does anyone think that current PS3s are turning a profit sold per console? Or at least break even? We've heard alot about this but the financial year figures for Sony can be really painful to look at :lol

Currently, sure.

But it will become a money hole the moment they are forced to price drop.

gantz85

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Currently, sure.

But it will become a money hole the moment they are forced to price drop.

Currently = for the 40GB or the 80GB? I don't know if they'll be willing to price drop this year given their profit focus, but I do think dropping the price this year would be a damned good decision. With the lineup this fall it could be a great time for them.

Hcoregamer00

gantz85 said:
Currently = for the 40GB or the 80GB? I don't know if they'll be willing to price drop this year given their profit focus, but I do think dropping the price this year would be a damned good decision. With the lineup this fall it could be a great time for them.

If anything the 40 gig should at least approach profitability.

As long as they continue using smaller chips and using less parts, they can continue the long march to regaining the $3 billion they lost.

gantz85

Banned
Well, we don't know what that $400 includes; just the manufacturing cost or the entire production cost.. I hope they're getting it down hard. I want a PS3 slim but I guess we won't be seeing it anytime soon.

kuYuri

Just wanted to respond to Hcoregamer, I just played all of MS2 on MSA on my 60GB and I had no problems at all. No freezing or any other kind of issue.

Amon37

My 60GB is dying and no Best Buy's within 30 miles have any MGS bundles. One said they will have some on Sunday. Do I really have to wait in line again for a PS3? :lol

FrankT

Amon37 said:
My 60GB is dying and no Best Buy's within 30 miles have any MGS bundles. One said they will have some on Sunday. Do I really have to wait in line again for a PS3? :lol

Yup, nowhere around me has any of them or the 40GBs(they quit shipping these for the most part nearly a month ago) for that matter. The Limited 80GBs are just too limited as well. Get some stock here and there, but not a whole lot of it. Sony best get those new 80GBs out before the end of month like they originally stated.

gbovo

Amon37 said:
what's wrong with your 60gb?

Returners

So its going to take 2-3 months for a 60GB model?

My PS3 PSU had a problem and my coffin's on the way. Argh, can't wait that long... now that uncharted has trophies and warhawk's coming etc. Plus, Mercs 2 comes out this month.

gbovo

Returners said:
So its going to take 2-3 months for a 60GB model?

My PS3 PSU had a problem and my coffin's on the way. Argh, can't wait that long... now that uncharted has trophies and warhawk's coming etc. Plus, Mercs 2 comes out this month.
I don't think it takes that long if you're in the US. Probably a week or two at the most.

Amon37

Amazon has them in stock but my warranty is through BestBuy. Oh well, If I have to get a 40 then I'll quite a bit of cash back.

Belgand

Looks like it's back out of stock at Amazon and Gamestop and it looks my local Gamestops have been pillaged pretty heavily recently as well. Any idea when they typically get shipped in so I can jump on one if need be?

Belgand said:
Looks like it's back out of stock at Amazon and Gamestop and it looks my local Gamestops have been pillaged pretty heavily recently as well. Any idea when they typically get shipped in so I can jump on one if need be?

Keep checking amazon each day to see if they get anymore stock in.

Belgand

Keeps coming briefly in and out of stock at Amazon. Any ideas of other places online where I could pick this up and not get screwed on shipping or tax? I mean, normally it wouldn't be a huge deal, but the tax on this is going to be about $50. I can either keep waiting for Amazon to try and get it back in or order it elsewhere, but that'll be one less game I can get for it for the same price.

neight

Banned
Amazon is really good at restocking if they can. They're the only ones I've seen continually restock some limited edition DVDs.

dork

Banned
Amon37 said:
The Blu-Ray drive is dying.

my 60 gig drive broke this week :(. It loads the discs but then just sits on a black screen.

I'll get my box today and send it off tomorrow. I can see this taking a very long time..I'm going to miss the socom beta.

Belgand

neight said:
Amazon is really good at restocking if they can. They're the only ones I've seen continually restock some limited edition DVDs.

Yeah, but it looks like with the 80 GB out there now the supply has almost totally dried up. If it wasn't for the tax then yeah, I could find it elsewhere, but I don't want to be killed on that extra $50. Hell, it's even making me consider the gimped 80 GB.

Ronin

dork said:
I'll get my box today and send it off tomorrow. I can see this taking a very long time..I'm going to miss the socom beta.
It only took a little over a week to get my system back. That was in June.

dork

Banned
So I unhooked my ps3 for the last 2 days waiting for the box and just plugged it in to delete my profile. Now the dvd is working....

Will they even do anything if it works when they get it? This is weird...maybe ill just keep the box until it happens again.

Ronin

You would only be delaying the inevitable. My system did the same thing for a bit, then it was back to being screwed.

Just send it off so it can hurry back and you can sleep peacefully. :lol

dork

Banned
Ronin said:
You would only be delaying the inevitable. My system did the same thing for a bit, then it was back to being screwed.

Just send it off so it can hurry back and you can sleep peacefully. :lol

Will they fix it if it works though? I don't want them to send it right back to me :(. But yeah I figured it's just starting to break. I could just play a continuous dvd over the weekend to help wear it down haha.

Amon37

They ended up getting some at my local Bestbuy a week ago so I swapped out for an MGS bundle. I didn't even realize it came with a voucher for Pain until I saw the box. :lol

dork said:
Will they fix it if it works though? I don't want them to send it right back to me :(. But yeah I figured it's just starting to break. I could just play a continuous dvd over the weekend to help wear it down haha.

Take a cue from the 360 camp and bust out the towel? :lol

Bricfa

Are the bundles still out in the wild? I have a friend with a dying 20g, ( I think there is something wrong with his GPU or something) and it's inder a best buy 2 year warranty, will he be able to swap it out for a bundle?

Belgand said:
Yeah, but it looks like with the 80 GB out there now the supply has almost totally dried up. If it wasn't for the tax then yeah, I could find it elsewhere, but I don't want to be killed on that extra $50. Hell, it's even making me consider the gimped 80 GB.

Well if you can live with a BC less PS3, you'll save $150 from buying it at Amazon versus getting the MGS4 bundle elsewhere. Your call really. If you want MGS4, I'd buy it and just suffer the tax hit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I got some email from Sony for some MGS4 camo contest and the prize it one of these. However at the bottom it still says you can just buy one. I'm so confused right now.

Baha

I saw an mgs4 80GB bundle last weekend at Futureshop (yonge & dundas location) next to some new 80GB boxes, so there are a few still out in the wild.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Baha said:
I saw an mgs4 80GB bundle last weekend at Futureshop (yonge & dundas location) next to some new 80GB boxes, so there are a few still out in the wild.

I know some walmarts have them too if you just do a store search.

sorry for bringing this (almost dead) thread up, but a friend of mine is gonna spend several days at Washington DC, and i asked him to get me a PS3 MGS4 80GB bundle, so.. does anyone know where to get it around that area? if not, is there any chance in getting a "second handed" or refurbished 60GB PS3 over there?

thanks in advance guys

intheinbetween said:
sorry for bringing this (almost dead) thread up, but a friend of mine is gonna expend several days at Washington DC, and i asked him to get me a PS3 MGS4 80GB bundle, so.. does anyone know where to get it around that area? if not, is there any chance in getting a "second handed" or refurbished 60GB PS3 over there?

thanks in advance guys

I don't want to have to break this to you, but the 80 GB PS3 BC bundle is no more.

Yeah, you can probably find a used 60 GB PS3 somewhere. Not sure if they are hard to find at a place like GameStop though, he may have to look online....

oh i see, so it's too late to get one of those bundles in any retail store.. so, here's another question: is it safe to get it from ebay? i've watched several auctions for those bundles.

kuYuri

It's still possible, but very unlikely to find MGS4 bundles at this point in time. Your friend would have to be lucky to find an unsold one in stores.

As for ebay, I guess it's an alternative as long as it's a trusted seller, but be ready to pay quite the price as it's a much sought after item.

Top Bottom