• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80GB Metal Gear PS3 bundle allocation UPDATE

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kagari said:
What model?

60 gig

:(

That means I probably wont get it back for 2-3 months, on top of that SCIV is coming out next week.

On top of that, I lost the receipt, so I need to go to Best Buy to ask them to reprint the receipt of my November purchase.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
60 gig

:(

That means I probably wont get it back for 2-3 months, on top of that SCIV is coming out next week.

On top of that, I lost the receipt, so I need to go to Best Buy to ask them to reprint the receipt of my November purchase.

Did you have a Best Buy replacement plan?

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
Did you have a Best Buy replacement plan?

Nope, but it is in warranty. My Blu Ray drive died after 9 months.

I was checking out the PS3 FAQ's and they mentioned that most of the big retailers will reprint your old receipt, so I am hoping that I can get Best Buy to reprint my old receipt.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Nope, but it is in warranty.

I was checking out the PS3 FAQ's and they mentioned that most of the big retailers will reprint your old receipt, so I am hoping that I can get Best Buy to reprint my old receipt.

As long as you remember the day you got it, yep.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nope, but it is in warranty. My Blu Ray drive died after 9 months.

They should, but date of purchase, method of payment and any personal that perhaps was given at the time of purchase will definitely help. It's not a given as you can understand but it should be possible. Also, going back to the store of purchase (as in location) can help as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Cool, because I wrote on my Facebook blog the day I bought my PS3.

Woohoo!!!!

Most stores are pretty helpful regarding those things from my experience. I'm glad I did end up buying the Best Buy plan though incase something like this happened :(

Hcoregamer00

purnoman3000 said:
They should, but date of purchase, method of payment and any personal that perhaps was given at the time of purchase will definitely help. It's not a given as you can understand but it should be possible. Also, going back to the store of purchase (as in location) can help as well.

Trust me, I am doing all of this. The PS3 purchase was one of the biggest purchases I made last year, so I know all these details.

Kagari said:
Most stores are pretty helpful regarding those things from my experience. I'm glad I did end up buying the Best Buy plan though incase something like this happened :(

I didn't buy one because I thought the console was "bulletproof"

Boy was I wrong :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
I didn't buy one because I thought the console was "bulletproof"

Boy was I wrong :lol

To be fair, I've rarely seen a defective one come in.

I bought one because I'm weird and extra warranty everything :lol

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
To be fair, I've rarely seen a defective one come in.

I bought one because I'm weird and extra warranty everything :lol

That's the thing, my console did not die of overheating like many other consoles.

It's not even the blu ray laser that is dead. The motor of the PS3 blu ray drive is the messed up part, so it will be fun trying to explain this to customer service.

With that said, I played my console frequently, but not more than my PS2 (which is going 6 years strong). That is why I am shocked that my PS3 died so early, this console is the first console I ever bought that had a component die on me in less than a year. Granted, I am happy it did so before Valkyria (because I want this game more than anything else) and before the warranty expired (so I wont be out $150).

Of course, with my luck, the replacement PS3 would die sometime next year.

:/

Hcoregamer00

Hey guys a WTF update.

Somehow my PS3 slot that I thought was crapped out started working again.

That damn disc drive motor started accepting discs again and my PS3 is back to working condition.

All I can say it that I AM SO HAPPY.

Loudninja

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys a WTF update.

That damn disc drive motor started accepting discs again and my PS3 is back to working condition.

Good, cant have someone on my friend list with a busted PS3 ;)

Hcoregamer00

Loudninja said:
Good, cant have someone on my friend list with a busted PS3 ;)

Having a busted PS3 is not going to stop me, I fully intend to buy ANOTHER one sometime next year because my parents needs a blu ray player

:D

Since my problem ended with good news, we can continue to talk about the awesome 80 gig MGS bundle.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys a WTF update.

;D Awesome.

Update for people looking to get these in retail stores again...
I can confirm that we're still getting steady resupply. My store is getting 4 more probably tomorrow :eek:

tanod

when is my burrito
Kagari said:
;D Awesome.

Update for people looking to get these in retail stores again...
I can confirm that we're still getting steady resupply. My store is getting 4 more probably tomorrow :eek:

Maybe they are still discontinuing the 40GB but they are going to keep the 80GB with BC and MGS4 at $500 and have the core 80GB at $400.

:O .... :O :O :O:O

Returners

tanod said:
Maybe they are still discontinuing the 40GB but they are going to keep the 80GB with BC and MGS4 at $500 and have the core 80GB at $400.

thats going to be confusing as hell...

tanod

when is my burrito
Returners said:
thats going to be confusing as hell...

80GB = $400

80GB + PS2 compatibility = $500

They could do it at the same time as dropping the PS2 to $100.

They don't even have to include MGS4.

Brilliant, I would say, just because that would mean they're keeping the BC out there for me to get with my 2nd PS3 some time years down the road.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tanod said:

I was thinking the same thing since they did specifically call that new one a "core pack."

tanod said:

Sony is still saying that BC is dead. They know that BC is a big selling point, so it doesn't surprise me that the MGS4 bundle is for NA only, the region where they really need to pick up the most in sales.

The 80Gb MGS4 PS3 units seem have been manufactured quite some time ago from what I read.

FrankT

tanod said:
80GB = $400

80GB + PS2 compatibility = $500

They could do it at the same time as dropping the PS2 to $100.

They don't even have to include MGS4.

Brilliant, I would say, just because that would mean they're keeping the BC out there for me to get with my 2nd PS3 some time years down the road.

They have already stated the new 80GB will soon be the only one in NA.

This afternoon, Sony Computer Entertainment senior vice president of marketing Peter Diller answered several of the lingering questions about the new 80GB PS3. First, the $399 model will soon be the "de facto standard SKU" in North America, with all other models--including the 40GB bare-bones model being phased out. Dille said Sony has already ceased shipping the 40GB to stores, and is letting the remaining stock of the console clear itself out of the retail channel. He said Sony had no price cut akin to Microsoft's $50 discounting of the now-discontinued 20GB Xbox 360.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194006.html

Guy Legend

Indeed, SCEA has already confirmed that they are going only with one model now,th BC-less 80gb.

With 40gb systems no longer being shipped, SCEA will probably keep enough supply of 80gb MGS4 systems through September until th 80gb core pack arrives.

Okay my 80 GB PS3 just arrived from Amazon

My question now is....since I have TWO PS3s, how is this going to work out? I use them at different areas in my house, but I will game on BOTH...

I guess there's no way to keep my game saves consistent between both consoles unless I want to copy them over each time, but what about trophies? I guess I should be okay there because it's all done via the network, and I'd even be able to download my trophies locally to both machines, right?

Now, also, I installed a new HDD on my older PS3, but I can I take out the HDD in this and swap it with the one in my new 80 GB (so that my new PS3 has the larger HDD)? Will that mess up trophies or SAVE files at all?

People keep talking about how some save files are LOCKED, but does this "locking" process mean that it checks to see if you're logged in to the PSN to make sure that you're the one that unlocked the save?

Revolver

Pardon my ignorance, but is the BC on the 80 gig unit software only?

If the BC is done through software, then couldn't Sony offer an emulator down the line through PSN or disc? It seems like there are people willing to pay for BC and I can't believe Sony would leave money on the table like that.

I don't want to chance it though and I would like to get an 80gig now. But bills keep piling up and I'm afraid I'll miss out on BC forever if I don't get one soon. Ugh.

I may have to take Ken K's advice and get a second job. :p

Revolver said:

If the BC is done through software, then couldn't Sony offer an emulator down the line through PSN or disc? It seems like there are people willing to pay for BC and I can't believe Sony would leave money on the table like that.

I don't want to chance it though and I would like to get an 80gig now. But bills keep piling up and I'm afraid I'll miss out on BC forever if I don't get one soon. Ugh.

No, it's done through both hardware and software.

Cell is emulating the emotion engine, but the fill rate of the GS chip on the PS2 is higher than the PS3's, so you effectively MUST have the GS chip in the 80 GBs in order to get BC to work.

I doubt we see BC again, though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony starts selling modified PS2 games on the store to work on ALL PS3 units.

Struct09

Revolver said:

The 80 GB still has the PS2's graphics synthesizer. So it's part hardware, part software.

EDIT: Beaten

ukas

Private Hoffman said:

Cell is emulating the emotion engine, but the fill rate of the GS chip on the PS2 is higher than the PS3's, so you effectively MUST have the GS chip in the 80 GBs in order to get BC to work.

I doubt we see BC again, though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony starts selling modified PS2 games on the store to work on ALL PS3 units.

Does that mean there's no way that they could ever do it completely in software?

Realistically? No.

They could probably try, but it would take an enormous amount of effort and resources to pull off.

Games would have to be heavily patched.

ukas said:
Does that mean there's no way that they could ever do it completely in software?

There's PS2 emulators on the PC, so I'd say if they can do it, Sony can.

I think there's a video of a 40Gb PS3 w/debug firmware booting San Andreas on youtube as well (if it's real of course).

Rolf NB

KernelPanic said:
Sony is still saying that BC is dead. They know that BC is a big selling point, so it doesn't surprise me that the MGS4 bundle is for NA only, the region where they really need to pick up the most in sales.

The 80Gb MGS4 PS3 units seem have been manufactured quite some time ago from what I read.
Can you elaborate on how exactly that seems? Any actual indications or just a consensus of forum posters who happen to all be guessing the same thing?

bcn-ron said:
Can you elaborate on how exactly that seems? Any actual indications or just a consensus of forum posters who happen to all be guessing the same thing?

Given the release of the 80 GB PS3 in september with NO backwards compatibility, it's pretty safe to say that your last chance at getting it will be from now until September/October while the remaining MGS4 bundles dry up...It was a limited release.

Rolf NB

Private Hoffman said:
Given the release of the 80 GB PS3 in september with NO backwards compatibility, it's pretty safe to say that your last chance at getting it will be from now until September/October while the remaining MGS4 bundles dry up...It was a limited release.
Yes. That has nothing at all to do with my question though.
(edit: I already have one anyway)

neight

Banned
KernelPanic said:
There's PS2 emulators on the PC, so I'd say if they can do it, Sony can.

I think there's a video of a 40Gb PS3 w/debug firmware booting San Andreas on youtube as well (if it's real of course).
And those emulators run like crap. Has anyone tried Okami on one of those emulators? That one makes ample use of the Graphic Synthesizer's massive fillrate capabilites which is why the Wii version was missing some effects.

Ravidrath

Looks like my PS3 is dying from overheating, as we speak... And right before Eden and Bionic Commando, too...

Are Best Buy stores still getting MGS bundles in? I have the extended warranty, but they just need to have something with BC for me to exchange it for...

Ravidrath said:
Looks like my PS3 is dying from overheating, as we speak... And right before Eden and Bionic Commando, too...

Are Best Buy stores still getting MGS bundles in? I have the extended warranty, but they just need to have something with BC for me to exchange it for...

Should be until September.

how long will this MGS4 bundle be available? Because Im getting a PS3 in like november/december...

EDIT: lol post right above me, that sucks

Ravidrath

Just exchanged my dying 60 gig for a new 80 gig MGS4 bundle.

According to one Best Buy, for the time being, they are ONLY carrying the bundle.

Also, in case anyone in the LA area is interested, the West Hollywood Best Buy has two LE gunmetal bundles. I thought about picking one up to eBay, but looking at the history it seemed a bit risky.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ravidrath said:
Just exchanged my dying 60 gig for a new 80 gig MGS4 bundle.

According to one Best Buy, for the time being, they are ONLY carrying the bundle.

Also, in case anyone in the LA area is interested, the West Hollywood Best Buy has two LE gunmetal bundles. I thought about picking one up to eBay, but looking at the history it seemed a bit risky.

I can confirm this again.

Askia47

Wow its been a while since ive been in this thread, I was banned for two weeks and now i return with a PS3 in my hand! So awesome its great. MGS4 so far rules all. GT5:p is awesome and SCIV hits next week. Only thing that sucks is my router is being a bitch, so i cant really get online, i did manage to create a PSN ID tho. I <3 ps3!:D

Truespeed

Private Hoffman said:

Wow, that argument fails on so many levels. Dude, there are mid range PC's with jank graphic cards that can emulate a PS2 with respectable frame rates. The PS3 can easily emulate a PS2.

Hcoregamer00

Truespeed said:
Wow, that argument fails on so many levels. Dude, there are mid range PC's with jank graphic cards that can emulate a PS2 with respectable frame rates. The PS3 can easily emulate a PS2.

True, but the question is if Sony is willing to spend time and money to do it.

Truespeed

Hcoregamer00 said:
True, but the question is if Sony is willing to spend time and money to do it.

I have no doubt they've already developed their own PS2 emulator that takes full advantage of the SPE's. The real question is whether they want to spend the time and money to address the quirks in individual games that inevitably show up when you do hardware emulation. I have a feeling that when the PS2 reaches a certain level of decline they'll release the emulator. Right now, why would they want to cannibalize sales from the PS2 when they obviously don't need to.

Hcoregamer00

Truespeed said:
I have no doubt they've already developed their own PS2 emulator that takes full advantage of the SPE's. The real question is whether they want to spend the time and money to address the quirks in individual games that inevitably show up when you do hardware emulation. I have a feeling that when the PS2 reaches a certain level of decline they'll release the emulator. Right now, why would they want to cannibalize sales from the PS2 when they obviously don't need to.

Quirks, even the PS3 with full hardware (60 gig) has its share of problems.

Star Ocean 3 and Metal Slug Anthology still crashes like crazy with full hardware, I can't imagine the problems with full software BC.

:lol

kuYuri

Hcoregamer00 said:
Quirks, even the PS3 with full hardware (60 gig) has its share of problems.

Star Ocean 3 and Metal Slug Anthology still crashes like crazy with full hardware, I can't imagine the problems with full software BC.

:lol

Where does MSA crash? I've had no problems like that so far.

Top Bottom