• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck I need to see more of the nominees, I fucking hate the UK. Only seen Argo (8/10) and Silver Linings Playbook (6/10). So can't really call a favourite for me yet; should be seeing Life of Pi and Les Miserable this week if I get the time.

Actually I agree. Loved Django, but I feel as if his Oscar movie is coming. (Pulp Fiction was it first).

He was either going to win for Pulp Fiction or Inglourious Basterds. I don't think he'll either win anything but Adapted Screenplay and his cast Acting ones for the rest of his career, but I have a feeling he'll be okay with that. As a few have said before, he'll be along Hitchcock, Kubrick et al as the ones that haven't won the Oscar.

BowieZ

Banned
Come on now when casting her in Enchanted was pushing it. Thats why she is not in romcoms.
Enchanted which I've never seen was only 5 years ago; I presumed she was early 20s just like Anne Hathaway in Princess Diaries.

I just never noticed her "ageiness" till now.

DMczaf

I meant it when I said give her all the awards

tumblr_mghkcerk621rvs6oho1_500.jpg

overcast

Saw SLP today. Was merely okay. I liked the first half, but the second half was very by the numbers and lazy. Certainly far from bad, Cooper was very good (as was J law). About a 7/10. People shitting all over TDKR, but that movie was much more enjoyable. Not that they are similar in any way really. This movie just wasn't special in any way. How the hell was Weaver nominated for a supporting actress oscar?

Haven't seen many of the BP noms, but as of now. Life of Pi>Django>>Argo>Silver Linings Playbook.

_Isaac

I would love to see Wreck It Ralph or ParaNorman win for best Animated Feature. Although I wouldn't mind Brave winning it. I still need to see Pirates and Frankenweenie.

overcast

Would really love to see ParaNorman win as well, although I think wreck it ralph beats it by a hair. Brave gets undeserved flack too, solid movie.

Saw SLP. Amazing movie. If it wins I think it deserves it.Wouldn't be disappointed at all. And I usually hate romcoms.

Acting was great as well from all.
Saw SLP today. Was merely okay. I liked the first half, but the second half was very by the numbers and lazy. Certainly far from bad, Cooper was very good (as was J law). About a 7/10. People shitting all over TDKR, but that movie was much more enjoyable. Not that they are similar in any way really. This movie just wasn't special in any way. How the hell was Weaver nominated for a supporting actress oscar?

Haven't seen many of the BP noms, but as of now. Life of Pi>Django>>Argo>Silver Linings Playbook.
I think the movie hits harder the more you relate to the characters.I saw a lot of my self in pat and that might color the movie for me. Also I enjoyed it more than TDKR which was kinda disappointing.

I don't follow any of this shit anymore, but if I were to guess at something somehow beating Lincoln for the BP upset, it'd probably be Les Mis since AMPAS likes sappy melodramatic fluff and the occasional musical.

I dunno though, I'm hardly an expert in the politics of this shit, so. Quality wise, I would guess based on pedigree that Amour is probably the best of the bunch (who'd have thunk Michael Haneke of all people would ever make an Oscar-friendly film!), having not seen that nor Life of Pi nor Silver Linings Playbook and having no interest in the last.

I'd put SLP as the more likely upset

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lincoln does seem like the frontrunner right now. Ive seen that, Django, SLP and Argo. I'd be fine with Django or Lincoln winning. Argo was great but not better than those. SLP was excellent, but as a severely dysfunctional fuck myself it pissed me off that a movie tried to be so authentic yet these severely fucked up people still all managed to find beautiful folk to fall in love with in short time. Shit don't happen in reality.

Im seeing Zero Dark and maybe Les Mis tomorrow. My personal favorite is Django so far. Nothing was more entertaining.

_Isaac

I can't believe Lincoln is considered the Frontrunner right now. I wouldn't have thought that back when it came out. It's really nothing special. Honestly, The Avengers should've been nominated. It's better than most of the stuff on that list.

Wow, I was looking and I've only actually seen two BP noms so far (Argo and Lincoln). I will see as many as I can before the awards show, but I think the two I've seen so far are very worthy films, Argo being my favorite film I've seen this year.

Finally saw Beasts of the Southern Wild.

It's a pretty, confused little flower of a movie, isn't it? Amazingly beautiful, even touching at times, but mostly just a jumbled, chaotic mess.

I can't believe Lincoln is considered the Frontrunner right now. I wouldn't have thought that back when it came out. It's really nothing special. Honestly, The Avengers should've been nominated. It's better than most of the stuff on that list.
Avengers better then Lincoln...WTF. I want to hear why you thing Avengers is better than most of movies that got nominated?

_Isaac

Spielberg + DDL + Abe Lincoln = are you kidding me? It was practically a foregone conclusion. This stuff has nothing really to do with quality.

Well Spielberg hasn't had a BP winning movie since Schindler's List right? Also I can't remember a DDL movie ever winning Best Picture. I can't remember a Lincoln movie even being nominated. I guess together they're unstoppable for some reason.

Well Spielberg hasn't had a BP winning movie since Schindler's List right? Also I can't remember a DDL movie ever winning Best Picture. I can't remember a Lincoln movie even being nominated. I guess together they're unstoppable for some reason.

He means the nominations were a foregone conclusion. Spielberg actually being given an Oscar for a film he's nominated for is a rarity.

Also, just gotta point out this marks Williams' 48th Academy nom. Dude is a beast.

He means the nominations were a foregone conclusion. Spielberg actually being given an Oscar for a film he's nominated for is a rarity.

Also, just gotta point out this marks Williams' 48th Academy nom. Dude is a beast.

At this point I'm wondering if Spielberg is making movies solely to ensure Williams gets to 50.

At this point I'm wondering if Spielberg is making movies solely to ensure Williams gets to 50.

Good lord am I hoping that Spielberg makes Of Gods and Kings, if only so I can get a Williams biblical epic score. I need to see Williams channel Alex North - who was a big hero of Williams.

Ceebs

I was with you until that nonsense at the end. I did not like Lincoln at all which means it will probably win everything just like The Artist last year.

Bleh, I'm not saying it should win any Oscars but not even a single nomination for Cloud Atlas? Really? I could enter in a lot of the categories.

I like to think it's because it's not a movie by any of the big studios so there's no one to bribe/pressure the Oscar committee to get it in.

strafer

I'm almost done with Golden Globes thread. Will be up when close to start.

EDIT: Screw it. Will not be streamed live.

EDIT 2: Okay, seems like it is streaming after all, lolz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom