• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8800GT crew

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I've been using a passively cooled 8800GT for years now.

Pretty much planning to ride this puppy into the ground.

The best graphics card I've ever owned. So many great games I was able to play for 3+ years. Just replaced it two months ago with its true successor, the GTX 560 Ti.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I rocked a 9800GT build for a really long time. Then I gave the PC to my brother when I built my new rig... so it's still getting a ton of use and love. :)

Fantastic value in a card.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Heh, my friend was using an 8800 until this week. It fried and he replaced it with a 460. He got some serious mileage out of that thing, I gotta say.

TheExodu5

Banned
It was a great card at the time, but damn those 1 slot coolers sucked. The card was so much nicer with a $20 Accelero S1 slapped on. My 8800GT sounded like a jet engine and ran at ~95C. I'm willing to bet with decent cooling they wouldn't all be dropping like flies right now.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
TheExodu5 said:
It was a great card at the time, but damn those 1 slot coolers sucked. The card was so much nicer with a $20 Accelero S1 slapped on. My 8800GT sounded like a jet engine and ran at ~95C. I'm willing to bet with decent cooling they wouldn't all be dropping like flies right now.

Yup. Had my old 8800 slotted in an older PC and it overheated and died out a few months back. Luckily I had replaced my 5770 with a 6950, so I swapped that with the 8800.

It was a good card. It will be missed.

Yaska

Had a 8800gt 512. Was a good card, then it died a year ago. Now I'm using 460gtx 1gb, but thinking of upgrading to 580 gtx soon.

jambo

TheExodu5 said:

I had a Zalman cooler on mine because the single slot cooling was just a pile of crap.

Aesthet1c

Still rocking my 8800GT 512MB. It's ran everything I've thrown at it. I was even surprised at it's Crysis 2 performance. My only concern is if it will play BF3 at all.. if I can get past that, I will be happy for at least another year.

Let me in

I'm still rocking the 8800GT 512.

If I were a more PC-centric gamer I would probably upgrade, but right now I have no need. Everything that's fairly modern runs well (i.e. Mass Effect 2). It runs PCSX2/Dolphin pretty well, too.

a176

Banned
i think there an nvidia driver revision that fucked up some of the cards last year. anyways, got a 8800gts 512 from evga after my 8800 640 died.

waiting until nvidia's next gpus to upgrade (along with ivy bridge)

Lol I remember when the 8800gt came out and everyone was shitting themselves because of the low price. I had just built my first gaming rig about a month before and was furious I hadn't waited.

chessnut

I had an evga 8800gts that I finally got rid of a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded to a 560 ti. Huge graphical leap, but the fan on this asus DUCII is loud as fuck!

Mupod

Mine blew up almost exactly two years ago. Replaced it with an asus 4870, which is the most rock solid card I've ever owned. Definitely going with Asus for my next card, which I'll be getting in a week.

Emily Chu

Banned
you know what I played the BF3 Alpha with a Quad Core + EVGA 8800GT 512MB

got it in 2007 for around 159.99$ on NG

as long as the consoles PS3/360 exist this card will be relevant

ran it @ 1080p @ 30-40FPS o_O triple buffering with Riva Tuner

will probably upgrade whenever GTX 560 hits 159.99$

I know the GTX 460 is already 159.99$

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I was but my motherboard fried on me a month ago and I'm taking this time to upgrade. Still the card was going strong. I'm pretty surprised how capable the card was.

If the vast majority of them died in this thread, and it was a little jet engine, then why are you all praising it.

For me noise ranks as high as performance and price, I wouldn't take gtx580 performance at 200 euros if it sounded like a 6800ultra.

I actually put my cpu back at stock just for that reason so I could put my fan at 500 rpm, any noise at idle drives me absolutely crazy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
SneakyStephan said:
If the vast majority of them died in this thread, and it was a little jet engine, then why are you all praising it.
Fantastic price/performance ratio.

FLEABttn

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

This. I hated my 8800GT. Both of them.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Still Going strong, runs smoothly on my Hackintosh build still, too!

also, 2x monitors both at 1080p.

Replaced mine with a 5850 just over a year ago. It was my first legitimate graphics card so in a sense it was my gateway to PC gaming. God bless it.

I think it's collecting dust somewhere in my closet now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
knitoe said:
What games are you playing with that at 1080p? Can't be any recent games.
Sure it can. You have two options when trying to make a game run better. Drop the resolution, or drop the graphic features. Due to how badly LCD monitors scale, I rather lower the graphical settings then drop the resolution.

Dalauz

Chiave said:
Was the 2nd card I bought. When I build a new PC I'm going to hock the 8800GT out of my old PC to save $. It's still decent nowadays right?
More like GF 4600 Ti Volume 2

Nairume

Banned
I actually just upgraded TO an 8800GT last year and it is still serving me well in terms of power. I've only had to drop the settings from max in a couple of games, and the ones that do require dropping are fine at medium.

Htown said:
Fantastic price/performance ratio.
Well better add 50 dollars to the price if they break in 3 years time.

My 4870 is 3 years old now and if I upgrade today I at least still get that much for it.

my radeon 9800 pro (which was a very hot card) worked like a charm for 7.5 years before it finally died.

larvi

Upgraded my 8800GTS 512 to a 5850 a couple of months ago but moved the 8800 to my daughter's PC where it's still in daily use.

sikkinixx

replaced mine a few months ago with a 460 GTX 1GB. Love it. Only $140 too and such a big difference in performance. Now to get rid of the old E8400...

kokujin

Banned
I bought 2 in early '08 to run in SLI.One broke in '09, and I had to RMA, they sent back a 9800GT instead.I gave away the 9800 GT to a friend, and bought a GTX 470.I then used the 8800 GT for physx until it burnt out early this year.I had good memories with the card, it ran everything well at my old 1280x1024 resolution.

What a fantastic card. Truly a legend. Mine unfortunately bit the dust back in June, and I had no fucking clue as to what video card to buy to replace it - or what was even available - because that goddamn 8800GT was running so well up until the end that I wasn't even close to thinking about upgrading yet.

Part of the reason it died is, honestly, because I am (was) shitty at maintaining my my system in terms of dust, etc., so I've learned my lesson.

kokujin

Banned
Question for everyone, did anybody's 8800 GT die on last years 260.99 driver update?I just remembered that I had no issues with the card until that update, and then it just stopped working.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Had a 8800 GTS 640 for 2 years until it died. Got a R4850 to replace it. Now have a 570 in my new pc.

alba

Little is the new Big
firebricks3 said:
Yup still rockin' my 8800GT from three years ago.

Same, waiting for BF3 to be released and then will see where to go next. Rocking 1680x1050 in most games with it :)

nemesun

My 8800Gt still going strong, and quite frankly I haven't even thought of replacing it yet. Well chuffed with it for now.

nemesun

alba said:
Same, waiting for BF3 to be released and then will see where to go next. Rocking 1680x1050 in most games with it :)
Reckon I'll stick with my 8800 till the next generation of consoles hit the market; there is no point going overboard and buying a new card when 89% of devs will be catering the console crowd for the foreseeable future.

Emily Chu

Banned
TxdoHawk said:
Oh god, all you people with recently dead 8800's scare me. D:
quite honestly I think all of them go at a certain point... it's just how it is my friend

I figured if this one dies, I'll give it a proper burial in my backyard or send it off to sea

and upgrade to a card thats 159.99$ extreme price:performance ratio and will last another 3-4 years

probably a GTX 560 @ 159.99$ when the new GTX 600 series is out

alba

Little is the new Big
nemesun said:
Reckon I'll stick with my 8800 till the next generation of consoles hit the market; there is no point going overboard and buying a new card when 89% of devs will be catering the console crowd for the foreseeable future.

That's exactly what I was thinking actually, only upgrading your graphics card after a new console release so you're good until the next generation but I don't know, I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade after BF3 is out if not for Christmas because I plan on playing that quite a lot :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
TheExodu5 said:
*Keeps his side case open*.

3 years strong on mine and I do get the occasional crash, but its all good.

Going be upgrading either the end of this year or early next year. I want Witcher 2 and Guild Wars 2 maxed when I play them. Its also been about 4.5 years then(Got the PC in mid 2007, and the card in late 2007)

Top Bottom