• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3080 crew

Senua

I recently bought a used RTX 3080 for £300 off of Facebook marketplace, and apart from a little surface rust its sweet and works like a fucking charm. I got it because I recently bought a LG C3 and my 3060 ti just was not cutting it at anything above 1440p in newish titles. With how shit the recent GPU generation has been minus the WAY out of my price league 4090, I knew the 3080 was a great 4k card of old and decided it was cheap enough to have a punt. I'm currently playing Alan wake 2 on a mixture of medium and high settings, DLSS balanced mode and am getting a very solid 60fps and the game looks frankly incredible. ps turn lens distortion off in the config files the game looks SO much clearer. So far the 10GB limit has not been an issue, most games seem to hover around 8gb, and going forward I'm not afraid to use lower settings because a lot of the time the games look almost as good for way better performance. perhaps I'll probably upgrade to a 5070 or something if the performance and price is right but for the time being this card will do me fucking well. And considering it's over 3 years old I am seriously impressed.

Nvidia Gpu GIF by alexibexi

So who else is rocking a 3080, since release perhaps? how are you faring in 2023?

MiguelItUp

I was fortunate enough to get one from a friend of a friend as they accidentally bought 2 during/right before the wild price surge a few years back. He sold it to me at standard price, which was awesome of him, especially since I didn't know him before that transaction. The 3080 is still treating me wonderfully, never had an issue with it whatsoever. Especially since I play at 1440, so everything I throw at it looks great and never dips below 60fps, so I'm very happy. Though I'm not gonna lie, I've been tempted to upgrade to the 4000 series just to get in on their perks. But I've composed myself and gone the responsible route of keeping this card until it gets to a point where an upgrade is recommended if not required.

Probably will be a good while!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
3080 is an ok card in 2023. The vram issues popped up in several games like RE4 and TLOU part 1 but were patched up.

This year, I ran RE4 at max settings (no RT) at native 4k. Ran hogwarts at 4k dlss quality maxed out, no RT. Ran Star Wars at 4k fsr quality but that game is cpu bound and frankly broken so whatever. TLOU1 after patches runs well at 4k dlss quality 60 fps maxed out. starfield mostly high settings at 4k dlss quality with some drops to 50s in big cities.

AW2 is very inconsistent. some areas are fine at 4k dlss performance at high settings. rt transparency turned on. but some forest areas are rough. Callisto is poorly optimized as well but all rt settings and maxed out settings at 4k temporal upscaling at 60% so 4k balanced is pretty much a 60 fps game most of the time. dead space is another poorly optimized game.

I think its obvious that this card is fine for modern games as long as you dont turn on ray tracing. with rt on, you are going to have to sacrifice a lot. for example, turning on path tracing will completely destroy your framerate. had to go from native 4k 50-60 fps no RT to 1440p dlss performance which is 720p.

Last edited:

Senua

3080 is an ok card in 2023. The vram issues popped up in several games like RE4 and TLOU part 1 but were patched up.

This year, I ran RE4 at max settings (no RT) at native 4k. Ran hogwarts at 4k dlss quality maxed out, no RT. Ran Star Wars at 4k fsr quality but that game is cpu bound and frankly broken so whatever. TLOU1 after patches runs well at 4k dlss quality 60 fps maxed out. starfield mostly high settings at 4k dlss quality with some drops to 50s in big cities.

AW2 is very inconsistent. some areas are fine at 4k dlss performance at high settings. rt transparency turned on. but some forest areas are rough. Callisto is poorly optimized as well but all rt settings and maxed out settings at 4k temporal upscaling at 60% so 4k balanced is pretty much a 60 fps game most of the time. dead space is another poorly optimized game.

I think its obvious that this card is fine for modern games as long as you dont turn on ray tracing. with rt on, you are going to have to sacrifice a lot. for example, turning on path tracing will completely destroy your framerate. had to go from native 4k 50-60 fps no RT to 1440p dlss performance which is 720p.
You on 10 or 12gb? And yea i'm not touching path tracing shit until I upgrade in a couple years. I'll make the most out of raster, when it's baked like AW2 it still looks incredible anyway. Though I did turn on RT in control because that looks beaut and still runs sweet as a nut

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the card can easily drive almost all current games maxed out at 3440x1440 at 80+fps.. 4k ? not so much

Senua

the card can easily drive almost all current games maxed out at 3440x1440 at 80+fps.. 4k ? not so much
Yea maxing out is for rich people though

40 series is great because of frame gen.

I looked at the 4070 but its 192 bit bus let sit down at 4k and it was a good £250 more than I got my 3080 for with basically no perf gain. Frame gen is cool but I'm not paying the lovelace tax because they're honestly a rip off

Last edited:

Skifi28

I wouldn't generally suggest a 3080 in the year of our lord 2023 or god forbid 2024, but for that price it was a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

GHG

I think it will end up being this generations GTX 970 due to the vram wall it's already running into.

But overall it's a really competent card as long as you aren't looking to push things too far.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

I looked at the 4070 but its 192 bit bus let sit down at 4k and it was a good £250 more than I got my 3080 for with basically no perf gain. Frame gen is cool but I'm not paying the lovelace tax because they're honestly a rip off
agreed but after playing cyberpunk i kinda want to

Senua

I think it will end up being this generations GTX 970 due to the vram wall it's already running into.

But overall it's a really competent card as long as you aren't looking to push things too far.
I've always been smart with my settings, i love to tinker and get the best out of mid range hardware. I had stunning results out of my GTX 1080 so many years after the fact, you just have to optimise!

Reactions: GHG

GHG

I've always been smart with my settings, i love to tinker and get the best out of mid range hardware. I had stunning results out of my GTX 1080 so many years after the fact, you just have to optimise!

I'm the complete opposite, I just want to be able to max out at native resolution so I tend to upgrade as soon as that's no longer viable. Lazy, I know.

Jensen gets a new leather jacket, I get piece of mind. Win win.

For 300 bucks you got a great card.

I'm just saying frame gen is amazing. People take shots at the 40 series but in reality, it's the first rtx series that runs ray tracing well and it's because of frame gen.

FireFly

You can still push settings at 1440p with DLSS and even path tracing is possible if you are willing to drop down to balanced or performance.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If anyone would like to join this crew PM me. I will sell mine for $250 shipped in the US.

I loved mine and would probably still be happy using it I’m just Nvidias paypig.

kiphalfton

Have two.

An EVGA FTW3 Ultra and an Nvidia FE.

I will likely sport these babies for the next half decade (which is totally against my MO, as before the 3000 series I've used so many different Nvidia cards it's insane). But if the price isn't right on '80 series stuff, no way am I going to buy it if it's >$1k from here on out.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Still pretty happy with mine. I can max out most of the games I play. Alan wake 2 being a recent exception but it's still well beyond console iq.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I have one, but with 12GB. Only RE4R with RT crashed some times maybe because Vram at 4k.

Last edited:

Tarnished

I got an RTX 3080 FE for MSRP, which was like winning the lottery. It still holds up amazingly well at 1440p, other than Alan Wake II and Cyberpunk I can hit 120fps locked in every game, and often way above that. And even in those games I'm still getting 70 - 120fps (I always tend to cap to 120 and then push the visuals). I'm currently saving up for a 5090 when they release.

I_D

During the GPU-shortage, I managed to win an NZXT-lottery that let me buy a 3080 at regular MSRP, so I capitalized.

I'm gaming at 1440p, which is the current sweet-spot, IMO, and I'm loving it.
I can run any game I want at perfectly acceptable framerates on all-max settings. I can even max-out RTX on everything I've tried (I have not tried Cyberpunk; but I've tried a handful of games with RTX-features).

The fans can get kinda loud, but I usually game with a headset, anyway, so I barely even notice. It's a very solid card.

violence

I got my 3080 12 gig for cheaper than the 3080 10 gig at the time. Beastly card still. There’s better cards out there, but this is the one that was the rare Pokémon during Covid.

Denton

I got 3080Ti for 600 bucks a year ago.

Works like a charm, great performance for my needs. I think it might last the entire gen, as long as I avoid insanity like fully pathtraced Cyberpunk.

//DEVIL//

rust ?? wtf this was being mined on to hell and back and then back to hell one more time.

rust ?? wtf,,,

also, Not sure in your country but i think this is too much for used 3080 ?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

M1987

rust ?? wtf this was being mined on to hell and back and then back to hell one more time.

rust ?? wtf,,,

They sell for £400+ used in the UK

Last edited:

kiphalfton

rust ?? wtf,,,

Just because it's one gen old doesn't mean people can get them for <$300. Most 3080 10Gb cards go for $400+ sold on eBay.

Besides that there's not really anything in the $300 cost range that competes, on the Nvidia front. And that largely effects pricing.

How much do you think they're supposed to go for?

//DEVIL//

Just because it's one gen old doesn't mean people can get them for <$300. Most 3080 10Gb cards go for $400+ sold on eBay.

Besides that there's not really anything in the $300 cost range that competes, on the Nvidia front. And that largely effects pricing.

How much do you think they're supposed to go for?
4 year old card ? yeah nothing above 400$ Canadian ( which is around 300 USD ).

of course now it depends. Asus 3080 wont be same price as a ventus.

LQX

I normally would have upgraded already just out of habit but with the NVidia price hikes I stuck with the 3080 and it has been serving me very well. If it holds up well for the the new GTA I doubt I will even consider an upgrade anytime soon.

StereoVsn

3080 is a great card, but I didn’t manage to get it until 3080ti came out. And there was with having bunch of sites open for preorder , monitoring buying threads, etc. Fuck crypto.

I was unwilling to pay scalper prices and instead paid them to Nvidia and EVGA (sigh…) directly. 😅

3080Ti is also a great card, but definitely not worth l$1100 or so I paid for it. Of course now I am eyeing upcoming 4080 Super. Will I ever learn, lol.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Felt ripped off due to how quickly 4000 series hit and how fucked the price on a 3080 is compared to what’s out there now that gets way more bang for buck.

I felt like my 1080 was amazing for a much longer time before the 2000 series arrived and 2000 wasn’t that big of a deal to me even though I did get a 2080 eventually.

The card works great 4K for the games I primarily play (WoW retail/classic, valorant/CS2, path of exile, Diablo 4/2R, Age 2, etc)

The second a new game hits though you’re in compromise mode. Give up resolution , settings, RT etc.

Great decision. The only card worth buying RTX 4090 gen is the 4090. The rest is trash. You got 4070 performance at $300 which is a great price. As it stands, the 4080 is overpriced, the 4070ti is overpriced and has an insufficient amount of ram, the 4070 is a bad card with its gimped 12gb of ram and 192 bit bus. If it were $400, fine but at $550-$600, it’s perhaps the worst 70 series card in history. The rumoured refresh in history. The rest of the line is pure rubbish.

Maxed out settings are dumb, they are literally the most unoptimized settings available, the highest cost for the most insignificant gains. At more optimized settings the 3080 does great in many titles.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yeah got mine at launch too and it has served me well for the past 3 years. Its starting to show its age here and there (Alan wake 2, Cyberpunk ray tracing) but with some settings adjustments still works perfectly fine for 4K. Will keep rocking this baby till 5000 series, or so is the plan for now. CPU wise also I am on a 5600x so i suppose I will just build a completely new system in a couple of years when all the pieces are in place.

Top Bottom