• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 new Crysis screen shots!

Kabouter

Fragamemnon said:
This is provided that nVidia gets their head out of their asses with Vista drivers, which is still, from what I understand, a TBD sort of thing.
I must say, I'm not having any problems with my nVidia card under Vista.
But then I own a 7800GTX 256MB, my friend with a 8800GTS 640MB has tons of problems with nVidia's Vista drivers. I get better performance than him in some games, like for instance RS:V.

Arthursw1

I only need a better GPU! but i hope prices on DX 10 cards drop soon! :D
cause the ATI X600 i have won't run that game that's for sure!

Kabouter said:
I must say, I'm not having any problems with my nVidia card under Vista.
But then I own a 7800GTX 256MB, my friend with a 8800GTS 640MB has tons of problems with nVidia's Vista drivers. I get better performance than him in some games, like for instance RS:V.

Yeah, it's the G80 drivers that are in sad shape. Thankfully I own a G80 part. :(

So XP for me, yay. Not that my PC has been anything but a Titan Quest console for the past two weeks. :D

AltogetherAndrews said:
Eh, Instincts is not a port of the original Far Cry for PC. In fact, it doesn't have a whole lot in common with the original.

I'm sorry for using short form that is typically understood, but this is the internet afterall. Yes FarCry on Xbox and 360 isn't a port of the original game as can be found in my many posts about the original Xbox and 360 games on this forum. The tech/engine/assets was ported though and even though Instincts is more path based and less open world much of the engine and the workload it takes on is the same. It still deals with loads of instances, height mapped terrain, LOD systems, physics, ragdoll, faux HDR, etc.

Kabouter

Fragamemnon said:
Yeah, it's the G80 drivers that are in sad shape. Thankfully I own a G80 part. :(

So XP for me, yay. Not that my PC has been anything but a Titan Quest console for the past two weeks. :D

It's really strange, I'd say there's a fair chance the 8800-series has the highest % of Vista users. And with the OS going into release candidate status months before business release and thus months more before retail release makes it ridiculous that nV still hasn't fixed their G80 drivers. They'll have to fix the problems soon though I'd say, otherwise they may start losing customers to ATi when they FINALLY come out with their DX10 parts.

naranjito

Banned
nib95 said:
Just breath taking.....

This is a gen ahead of everything currently out.

that is because its coming a gen later than anything thats currently out. ah, but seriously, looks spectacular, but theres hasnt been footage of something other than graphics that would impress. what would that be, you ask, well maybe AI, which just stands around and shoots at you in the videos, its like the original Doom, ffs. they've got time, and i hope the end product will be a more exciting package as a whole than Far Cry "oh look at the blue water" was.

Kabouter said:
It's really strange, I'd say there's a fair chance the 8800-series has the highest % of Vista users. And with the OS going into release candidate status months before business release and thus months more before retail release makes it ridiculous that nV still hasn't fixed their G80 drivers. They'll have to fix the problems soon though I'd say, otherwise they may start losing customers to ATi when they FINALLY come out with their DX10 parts.

It is ridiculous, and there are probably some people over at MS's Windows development team that would like to strangle nVidia for botching DX10 so bad. There STILL isn't a game that supports DX10, months after Vista's release. Even MS's own Flight Simulator X-a game that was supposed to be patched to showcase DX10-isn't getting support for it until Fall. It's a disaster, IMO.

The only thing that will keep ATi from pulling another 9700pro on nVidia is that A) XP support for the 8800 cards is pretty good, and the cards run DX9 games like butter, and B) the R600 parts, from what we know, are not going to run laps around the 8800 cards like the 9700pro did to the GF4s and FX5k cards.

Warm Machine said:
I'm sorry for using short form that is typically understood, but this is the internet afterall. Yes FarCry on Xbox and 360 isn't a port of the original game as can be found in my many posts about the original Xbox and 360 games on this forum. The tech/engine/assets was ported though and even though Instincts is more path based and less open world much of the engine and the workload it takes on is the same. It still deals with loads of instances, height mapped terrain, LOD systems, physics, ragdoll, faux HDR, etc.

Don't turn this shit on me just because you did a poor job communicating your point. You said "if the original Xbox could do a good port of the original Far Cry", and that is what I responded to. Regardless of any shared technology that existed between the versions, it was not a port, it was a separate (and technologically inferior) game designed to run on consoles.

Now, as for your argument here, is there even a debate to be had about this? Do I think an iteration of Crysis could be made for "next-gen" consoles? Sure. But I expect the relationship to be largely the same as the relationship between Far Cry PC and Far Cry Instincts; a smaller, much more constricted and far less detailed world, with some shared design and tech assets.

naranjito said:
that is because its coming a gen later than anything thats currently out. ah, but seriously, looks spectacular, but theres hasnt been footage of something other than graphics that would impress. what would that be, you ask, well maybe AI, which just stands around and shoots at you in the videos, its like the original Doom, ffs. they've got time, and i hope the end product will be a more exciting package as a whole than Far Cry "oh look at the blue water" was.

So I take it you don't find the physics and interaction with the world at all impressive then?

naranjito

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
So I take it you don't find the physics and interaction with the world at all impressive then?

wow, that backfired on me, didnt it :). after careful thought, i have come up with a new statement. everything about this game is impressive, except the ultra shitty AI. but it really is shitty so far. they've got time tho, i just hope they dont spend it all on shining their engine.

joesmokey

The Cryengine2 Crysis trailer is one of the most impressive videos I've ever seen. Everytime I watch it I see something that amazes me that I didn't catch the last time. The physics when everything gets torn apart by the nuclear blast are just mind boggling.

I don't understand people that think the PS3/360 will be able to run something like this just fine. You can't compare the graphics to the user that's running it at a dumbed down resolution like 1280x720 on a PC. If you really want to compare, you have to benchmark it against the extreme PC enthusiasts that will be running this game in SLI/Crossfire at 2560x1600 with all the effects and AA and AF turned up. Those people are in the extreme minority sure, but that's the nature of PC gaming, scalability. PS3 is getting up there in the resolution department with 1080p, but factoring in HDR and extremely high AA/AF, I don't think so.

I have a feeling that when this game comes out people are going to be playing it at fairly low settings because that's all their computer can handle, and then immediately say something like Halo 3 blows it out of the water.

Pimpwerx

That first pic is jaw-dropping. That explosion is amazing. Look at the black marine crouched behind that barrel. It may not be 100% realistic, but it looks so damn amazing anyway. This game is leaps and bounds ahead in crossing the uncanny valley. PEACE.

Pimpbaa

Fragamemnon said:

I haven't even touched Vista yet with mine. The XP drivers for the 8800 seem to be pretty solid tho. I've been playing Titan Quest (with the the expansion) as well. Finally can play the game at my monitors native resolution and at a great framerate (before was playing at 1024x768 with an abysmal framerate on my 7600GT). Creating drivers for a completely new architecture and a new driver model (in Vista) can't be easy No doubt ati's vista driver for the r600 is going to be a work in progress as well when it comes out. Hell, the driver situation in general always seems to be a bitch when a new version of windows comes out. People were sticking with windows 98 for quite a while after xp was released because of them getting better performance.

I don't think there is a word in the English language that can ably describe just how good the lighting in Crysis is. It is LEAGUES ahead of anything I've ever seen before.

bry-bry

LegendofJoe said:
I don't think there is a word in the English language that can ably describe just how good the lighting in Crysis is. It is LEAGUES ahead of anything I've ever seen before.

I'm going to toss "resplendent" in the ring.

Pimpbaa said:
I haven't even touched Vista yet with mine. The XP drivers for the 8800 seem to be pretty solid tho. I've been playing Titan Quest (with the the expansion) as well. Finally can play the game at my monitors native resolution and at a great framerate (before was playing at 1024x768 with an abysmal framerate on my 7600GT). Creating drivers for a completely new architecture and a new driver model (in Vista) can't be easy No doubt ati's vista driver for the r600 is going to be a work in progress as well when it comes out. Hell, the driver situation in general always seems to be a bitch when a new version of windows comes out. People were sticking with windows 98 for quite a while after xp was released because of them getting better performance.

I think there's an CW assumption that the R600 Vista drivers are going to be magically better, and I'm glad that someone else thinks they'll be just as garbage. Complicated software like modern video drivers is just hard to write, period. It's just sort of sad how badly DX10 has stalled out of the gate.

Anyway, back to Titan Quest. Level 50 now, yay!

antiloop said:
My PC can't run this game in that resolution with that kind of AA...

3115x2001 with 16xAA is nice to look at though.
At a certain point, I think AA becomes somewhat of a non-issue. I run my PC games in 1600 x 1200 (monitor's native resolution) with no AA and I barely notice any aliasing.

Borys

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
i just ordered my computer with 2.6ghz core 2 duo, 4GB's of ram and a 640 8800GTS video card... if this game chugs on that setup... im punching someone in the face.

Damn nice PC. Crysis will run great on it.

Kabouter

Fragamemnon said:
The only thing that will keep ATi from pulling another 9700pro on nVidia is that A) XP support for the 8800 cards is pretty good, and the cards run DX9 games like butter, and B) the R600 parts, from what we know, are not going to run laps around the 8800 cards like the 9700pro did to the GF4s and FX5k cards.
Yeah, for those reasons I really don't expect ATi to pull a 9700 pro on nV, though that really would be a good thing in this case since nVidia really needs a kick in the keester. And as was said, I really don't expect the drivers for the R600 to be that fantastic, though with ATi's frequent driver releases and the time they've had to work on them as well I do expect them to be superior to nVidia's.

Borys

Banned
I'd repost those videos in a new thread but come on - they are videos inside videos. Nothing in realtime :( This sucks.

The nuclear explosion is ****ing awesome, but it's hard to shake the stupidity of the character living through it, let alone standing perfectly still in the middle of a disastrous precursor shock.

"The nuclear explosion is ****ing awesome, but it's hard to shake the stupidity of the character living through it, let alone standing perfectly still in the middle of a disastrous precursor shock."

It's just a tech demo scene, not a scene from the game.

Teknopathetic said:
"The nuclear explosion is ****ing awesome, but it's hard to shake the stupidity of the character living through it, let alone standing perfectly still in the middle of a disastrous precursor shock."

It's just a tech demo scene, not a scene from the game.

Eh, I thought certain multiplayer game modes involved a nuclear explosion? Kind of like CS, but with an actual visual cue to go along with it.

BlueTsunami said:
I didn't see that vid, thats seriously awesome. Must be one of the Alien weapons.

It would be cool if there were levels that used that same blank template (maybe user created). Almost like the VR levels in the Metal Gear series.

Isn't the blank template basically an empty space in the editor?

Top Bottom