• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's Arcade Racer might be still alive according to this Wii U 60 fps video

ramparter

Banned
I remember this kickstarter, was expecting it to get a bigger funding but guess people were cautious. Turns out the guy couldn't make it in time, unsurprisingly for one man. However it looks really good, will keep my eye on it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks like a Shinen developed title...hope it gets a release eventually.

dock

This looks pretty good, it's just a shame that it seems to have had such a difficult development period.

Does anyone know, is this built in Unity?

I wonder why the car doesn't receive shadows.
Hopefully they can fix that, as I love seeing cars feel grounded to the environment with reflections and shadows.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
This looks pretty good, it's just a shame that it seems to have had such a difficult development period.

Does anyone know, is this built in Unity?

I wonder why the car doesn't receive shadows.
Hopefully they can fix that, as I love seeing cars feel grounded to the environment with reflections and shadows.

Pretty sure it's Unity.

Love the look of this game.

I remember this kickstarter, was expecting it to get a bigger funding but guess people were cautious. Turns out the guy couldn't make it in time, unsurprisingly for one man. However it looks really good, will keep my eye on it.

Eh, the game was funded. I'm one of the backers.

The lack of communication from the developer has been inexcusable. The game is two years late and we go four, five, or six months between updates.

I don't think it will ever come out, personally.

disap.ed

Eh, the game was funded. I'm one of the backers.

The lack of communication from the developer has been inexcusable. The game is two years late and we go four, five, or six months between updates.

I don't think it will ever come out, personally.

Agree. One of the worst managed kickstarters ever :/

BTW, could someone PM me the update as I pledged with Paypal and can't see it? Thx.

Roo

A poor man's Ribbon Road lol

6558f1532eaa77e2e9348vhpr9.png

tuffy

It nails the look, of course, but that was obvious a long time ago. The big question is how much longer it's going to take to sort out the AI for the opponent cars.

Looks awesome, awesome. Needs the announcer saying "Checkpoint!" every time you pass one and some AI cars.

Fingers crossed this gets released on PS4, but I'll certainly buy it on Wii U as well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why would it be dead? There was an update in January.

Exactly. For a game supposed to launch in 2015. A lot of the backers complained about the lack of updates and general feedback from the developer and producers. Even now there is no answer from them on the kickstarter page, other than this update.

Katori

Exactly. For a game supposed to launch in 2015. A lot of the backers complained about the lack of updates and general feedback from the developer and producers. Even now there is no answer from them on the kickstarter page, other than this update.
Don't get me wrong, the massive delay blows, but we still have known it's not dead.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't get me wrong, the massive delay blows, but we still have known it's not dead.

It seemed like that before this update, due to the lack of any feedback. Now it seems to be alive, as I wrote in the title. Let's see until the end.

AmyS

Just saw the new footage today. Like others, I think this looks better than the last update.

Was once really excited for this game, but obviously Nintendo's NX platform will be out before The 90's Arcade Racer on Wii U/Steam.

AmyS

Sorry, didn't want to be too negative. The game does look great and the gameplay in this new footage seems very close to Scud Race / Sega Super GT.

bumpkin

Looks great. I missed out on the Kickstarter, but I'll definitely be buying this on Wii U whenever it gets released... Someday.

Any comments about FFB Wheel support in PC version. I imagine that's not hard to implement, even Nebula Model 2 supports it in some form

I didn't know about this game but it looks great! I'll definitely get this when it releases. Thanks for sharing OP.

I hope they add more crazy cars like that boat one.

tsab

This game can't come soon enough. Although when I read Nicalis will be involved I kinda expected (PAL) delays.

Hopefully will be released before the Yokoi book I had preordered 3 years ago from Pix n Love

I remember reading the blog last year before e3, them saying wont be shown and around the same time they were doing some freelancing.. amazing 12months on and nothing but a video

edit: looks like 2 different builds in the video, 1 video he drops to 70km/h when he drifts everytime and other track is it seems bugged (drops from 170 to 100km/h for a split few frames)

Tayaya

I was just trying to dig up any kind of release info for this game a few weeks ago. I was hoping that maybe it came out already to no fanfare and that I could just download it already.

Been anticipating this one for a while now - really hope it makes it out given how perfect it looks for scratching that old Sega arcade itch.

tuffy

I think the shape is good but it's way too big, from the video it feels really slow to drive around and there's nothing there to make it challenging, the scale should be shrunk a bit.
It's bound to look empty without a lot of other cars to jostle with - like walking through a shooting game without the enemies. That needs to be sorted out before it'll finally look like an actual arcade racing game.

hatchx

Banned
Looks really good. We still havn't seen any footage of more than one car on the track though.

Does Nicalis only have like 5-10 developers? why are they so slow?

SegaShack

Visually it looks great, but I have issues with how he is performing all these crazy sharp turns without downshifting gears. Seems like you can just go in gear 5 and "drift" and be fine. Definitely not like how Daytona does it with downshifting to get into a drift and upshifting to catch yourself at the end of the turn.

Do you realize the game genre this game is emulating?

Yes, and it doesn't feel like one of those, others in the thread have voiced concerns too. With such simple tacks, along with them feeling huge and empty and a lack of speed being shown in the trailers I'm not too hyped on it, yet. Probably just a byproduct of being pretty early.

DonMigs85

Yes, and it doesn't feel like one of those, others in the thread have voiced concerns too. With such simple tacks, along with them feeling huge and empty and a lack of speed being shown in the trailers I'm not too hyped on it, yet. Probably just a byproduct of being pretty early.
It's been in development since 2012

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The game looks nice, but a few things worry me. You may notice that in none of the videos the car crashes to a corner, and there are no other cars on the track.

This suggest me that the game has a long long way to go before it's finished.

And yes, tracks do seem simplistic, let's hope that with the addition of more cars, this changes somehow.

Top Bottom